Chapter 44

Chapter 44

A Chapter by Katie Wan

The island was very beautiful. It reminded me of pictures I had seen of Samoa. There was a large city on one side where the school was located. It was the home for many of the students and families attending the school. On the other side of the island there were large vast mountains that could be climbed for hours. They held beautiful lakes and waterfalls in the center of them. Natives of the island built there small village homes in those dense trees. Many different children were playing in the lakes and streams throughout the island. We were all headed back into the hotel. The queen turned in front of the main desk and looked at us all. Only Kei and Haulani stayed with us. Her previous large posse had gone back to their duties around the Island.

Everyone stopped when the queen looked at us all, “It was very wonderful to get to know all of you.” An answer was mumbled throughout the Oresons and the queen continued. “I would like to invite you to a ceremony held in Collin’s honor. It’s not often we get a new family member.” Every eye turned and looked at me. Heat rushed to my cheeks and again I slid behind Tex. “Now if you don’t mind I’d actually like to talk to him alone.”

Her beautiful eyes went to my nervous face. The Oresons split from my side. Tex stroked Kei’s cheek once before he left and went down the hall with the rest of his family. Rylan’s whole family stared at me with bright smiles on their faces. I looked at them and then realized I was in a different room. There was no flash but somehow we ended up in the Khtulu palace where the royal family lived. It was the queen’s chambers where she did all of her studying.

The room was centered on beautiful wood floors and shelves. They were a dark wood and almost took on a redwood type of feel. The grain was very different much like bamboo would be. It seemed almost softer than usual wood also. Books on shelves lined each wall. There were different research books each on different subjects. If I didn’t already know that she was Rylan’s mom, this room would’ve convinced me.

Kei and Haulani shifted to different spots around the room. Kei took her spot in a large dark leather chair and put a red blanket over her lap. Haulani stood back beside a wall sized window that had drapes covering the view. The Queen stood very straight and still against a dark desk made of the same wood covering the room. “I want to personally welcome you to the family.” She spoke kindly and held out her hand.

I walked over to her and slipped my left hand into hers. She eyed the ring around my finger. “I gave this to my husband so many years ago, he loved it.”

“That’s what Rylan told me.”

Her fingers twisted my hand all the way around. a smile slipped brightly across her face. Haulani spoke, “Mother I need to go get ready.”

Her head spun around, “Take Kei, please. Make sure that everything is ready.”

They nodded and both walked silently out of the room. The queen looked up at me and with a pull at my hand led me to a dark soft couch. She sat us down and turned so that she was still facing me. She rested her back on the arm of the couch and looked at me with a hint of pleasure in her eye. I spoke first, “you really don’t need to have a ceremony for me.”

She shook her head, “I do. It’s a ceremony that we give to many special guests. We have dancers that show our history. There are many different things for everyone to do. The natives come out and love the festivities. This time we will be celebrating the addition of you into our family.”

I nodded and looked past her at all the books. Memories flooded my mind. There were countless times I’d find Rylan asleep in his office with a new research book working as his pillow. Noelani stroked the top of my hand and whispered sincerely, “You really do miss him don’t you?”

I poured my soul into her with my eyes, “I do.”

She lowered her head and continued to stroke my hand, “So do I.” she sighed loudly, “he was a wonderful man.” I nodded in agreement. Tears welled up in my eyes. It was hard for me to hold my emotions on this island. Everywhere I went it was as if I could feel him all around me and then I was soon brought back to reality to remember he wasn’t there. “It’s okay to cry. I think that’s why you have such a hard time.”

“I have to be strong.”

“For whom,” She asked and lifted her head to look at me again?

“Myself.” I sniffed away the tears threatening to leave the shelter of my eyelids.

Her hands were warm against mine, “You believe that because you’re a Hero you can’t be human? I want you to know that I would pick being human to being a Hero any day, and that’s because they have the ability to feel so much without any consequences. If my people were to see me cry they would lose all hope in whatever situation was unfolding before us. But if one of the people on my Island cries they release all their pain and can move on, when Hero’s have to keep everything pent up inside.” Her hand moved from my hand to the side of my face. Her thumb rubbed my cheekbone softly. I leaned into it as best I could. “If you have the chance to feel something, you do it.”

A shock was sent through me and the tears again appeared in my eyes. This time I couldn’t hold them in the droplets of water spilled out quickly and fell down my cheeks like rain. I brought my hands up to my face as Rylan’s face spun around in my head. I collapsed into Noelani’s lap. Her soft hands stroked the back of my head and she just whispered over and over again, “I know.”

***

I sat at a table made of the dark wood that could be found around the Island. I stabbed my fork into the wild boar that was served at my feast. Everyone chatted around me happily. The smell of festivities filled the air. Behind me a large bonfire was being started. No food had actually entered my mouth all night. The tender meat was spread around on my plate with some fruits and vegetables that were dished up for me. There was only one pair of eyes that seemed to notice my mood. Phoenix stared at me from down the table. He hardly ate, too. Usually I would’ve said something about his staring by now, but I didn’t have the energy. Plus, it was kind of nice to have him paying attention to my feelings for a change. The queen and her children were around setting things up with the natives that had come down for the festivities. Many of them came and shook my hand. They all wanted a look at the ring that Rylan gave to me.

When the fire was started the queen tapped my shoulder, “Are you ready for the dance?” she asked with a proud smile on her face.

My body spun around on the seat and I followed her. Everyone left the table and made a large ring around the fire. Native’s sat around the same circle leaving me far away from anyone I actually knew. The queen sat next to me and crossed her legs in front of her. I sat down on the ground next to her. The earth below me was warm and moist. The queen was wearing a skirt made out of the large palm trees. Kei and Haulani were dressed the same. Haulani was shirtless like he usually was, but Kei had a dark green bikini top on. She sat next to Tex and they talked flirtatiously in the circle.

The queen clapped her hands and all conversations were stopped immediately, “Let the dance begin.”

Large drums started pounding from the other side of the circle. About a dozen men and women came from the shadows around the large fire and circled within our circle. The drums pounded harder and the dancers started their dance. The queen leaned over to me and translated the dance, “Many years ago a man by the name of Keolamauloa went on a search for people like him. He was always treated badly for his strange looks.” It was obviously the white hair. “In his search he found this Island where he discovered the natives. He soon learned that they were a special magical people just like he was.” A single man played Keolamauloa and he searched all alone for something. He dropped to his knees and picked up sand into his dark hands. He leaned over his cupped hands. His white hair almost falling into the sand cupped between them. The queen continued, “Keolamauloa started building with all the other people he had found like him. They built different buildings but the most important was a school. Keolamauloa wanted to teach everyone about what he was and wanted to teach people about their own abilities.” The dancers portrayed with their bodies the building of schools and the whole settlement.

A young girl ran up to the man playing as Keolamauloa. They tightly wrapped their swaying arms around each other and in a duet hula they portrayed Keolamauloa falling in love. “Keolamauloa fell in love with a very beautiful native woman from the Island. Her family was very well known. After he married her he became very famous on the Island.” People surrounded the two dancers in the center symbolizing the people accepting Keolamauloa. “Keolamauloa was a born leader. He started the school and people started to come from all corners of the world. Some people weren’t even Heroes they just wanted to know about this magical island that had been discovered. Keolamauloa had two sons with the woman he loved. The oldest his favorite, he favored him over the youngest.” Two younger boys came into the dance and the parents interacted with them.

“As the boys got older the younger of the two got jealous. Keolamauloa was so loved by the people of the Island that he was soon made king. He served the people for almost twenty years when the youngest son went missing.” Both of the young dancer boys left and only one came back as a grown man. “Keolamauloa soon forgot about his youngest son. As he increased with age he planned to give the thrown to his son.” Keolamauloa danced around and soon slowed as age caught up with him. The older son was beaming with pride as the father paid all the attention to him.

“What Keolamauloa didn’t know was his youngest son was off conspiring against Keolamauloa and the whole Island. He wanted to take his father down and run the island his own way. He wanted the natives to be slaves and work for him.” The younger son appeared in the shadows to my right. He danced slowly but kept a close eye on his father and all that he was doing with the family. “The youngest son went to the government and with a large army to destroy his father returned to the Island.” About twenty dancers came out with the youngest son. The fire began to burn higher and hotter.

“There was a war that lasted three years. In one final attempt to take over, the youngest son killed his mother. Keolamauloa was devastated and ordered his oldest son to kill the younger of the two. Out of respect for his mother he did this. The army was completely obliterated and there were no more enemies that Keolamauloa knew of. The youngest son had a son of his own. The anger from his father had turned the boy evil.” One of the younger boys from before returned but with bright red and black paint splattered over his eyes. My gaze went to Tex who shifted uncomfortably next to Kei. He sunk his head and didn’t watch what happened next. “That is how the Villains were born. The son grew to hate his grandfather and also wanted to take over. Keolamauloa heard of this news and soon devised a plan.” All the dancers left and now it was only Keolamauloa and his son. “Keolamauloa used all of his strength to make all the minds in the world to forget about the Island, including his newly acquired villain grandson.

The energy he used to protect the Island killed Keolamauloa, but in his last breath he gave all of his powers to his son. The son now had to protect the Island with his life. It didn’t take the Villains long to find the Island again. This time the grandson had built an army of villains.”

I turned to her, “How did he do that?”

She looked at me and then to Phoenix, “The same way Phoenix did it to you. It’s the same for you now. You could build an army of Heroes.”

That would make sense, “so the Khtulu virus that I have now, it could actually be used for good?”

“I wouldn’t call it a virus, I find it a gift.” My eyes shot to Phoenix who was still watching me. A smile twitched at the left side of his mouth and his face softened.

My focus went back onto the dance. “The son defeated the grandson and again protected the Island. This time he made sure to protect the whole island to make it invisible to any human or villain eye.

That son soon had a son. When he passed it went to his son. You know the rest from there.”

The dancers stopped and bowed. Everyone clapped and raved for the beautiful performance. “So if I wanted I could make an army?” I was still on that. “I would have to sleep with every person to get a whole army?”

The queen looked at me, “No all you need to do is inject them with your blood or any way to transfer your genes over to them.”

“Is it painful?”

She shrugged, “I don’t know. Did it hurt you?” The only pain I had felt was emotional when I was changing. I had no time to even think about physical pain.

The crowd started to disperse to different activities. I stood up and helped the queen to her feet. I felt emotion tugging at the back of my mind. A woman walked up to me. She was about a foot shorter than I was. Her hair was a tanner white color. She had it braided in the same island way as the natives did. She had a small frame but her shoulders stuck out wide from the rest of her body. She wore a tie cover over a green bikini. Her abs were toned and separated perfectly. Most of the men started at her as she walked by. Her skin was a dark tan and made her silver eyes stand out. Her dark eyebrows straightened as she walked up to me. Her hand held out to mine very professionally. I was used to shaking people’s hand this night so I put mine around hers. Her lips pursed together as she looked up to me, “You’re very lucky.” She talked in a very demeaning tone.

“Excuse me?” I asked and ripped my hand from hers. Her eyes narrowed into mine.

“Do you not know who I am?” I shook my head.

The queen leaned over into me and whispered into my ear, “That’s Fiona.”

My eyes got huge and I began to panic. I didn’t actually think she would still be on the Island. I had gotten myself into a very awkward situation. I cleared my throat and straightened my spine, “That’s right.” She hissed through her teeth. “You know who I am.” It wasn’t a question.

I nodded again, “I’m sorry.” That was all I could muster up to say.

“You’re sorry? Rylan was about to take me as his wife until he saw you in a dream.” Her finger poked into my chest and I started to back up until I hit the table behind me. “He was everything I ever wanted the love of my life and he gave me up for you. So what makes you so special?” She shoved again one last time and I toppled over the bench and fell back into the table. A shooting pain split my spin in half where the table hit me.

“Fiona quit this right now.” Noelani spoke sternly.

Fiona’s powers flicked on and her hands went straight to my throat. I was too occupied with the pain in my back to catch her fast movement. She pushed into me bending my back uncomfortably over the table. My fingers ripped at her wrists and I kicked at her body. I coughed as the air ceased to go through my throat. My powers tried to come on but I couldn’t seem to concentrate long enough to make them work. Suddenly her body ripped away from mine letting air again flow through to my lungs. I turned over and coughed. My body sliced open on broken plates from the scuffle. My powers tried to come on but tears filled my eyes. My forehead leaned on the wood. Soft hand covered my neck. I looked up to see Phoenix staring at his hands on my throat. The warmth soothed what I couldn’t. People were yelling behind us, more than likely at Fiona. Phoenix’s silver eyes looked up to my face and he stroked a hair away from my forehead.

As the pain soothed I sat up and let the blood return to my head. I rubbed at my throat. Noelani walked up to me and took my face in her hands, “Are you alright?” she asked.

I nodded and looked around to see everyone staring straight at me. All at once I felt very alone. There was no one there to stick up for me. Of course everyone cared, but Rylan wasn’t there to calm me down. I lied to the queen, “I’m fine.”  I answered as best I could despite the sudden surge of emotion and raspy throat. I again looked around to see not sympathy in people’s eyes but pity. Suddenly I felt it for myself. What was I thinking trying to do this all one my own? Rylan had always made me so proud of myself when really I wasn’t that special. I couldn’t even defend myself against a girl, and why? Because I was too busy freaking out over my emotions. No I wasn’t fine, and I wouldn’t ever be fine again. “I actually am really tired I think I’m going to head back to my room now.”

The queen nodded and turned to focus on Fiona. My powers ignited and I was soon back at the hotel. The sea was dark and black like my mood. Instead of walking into the room I walked to a large pile of rocks sitting next to the wave line. As I sat droplets of water fell onto my face. My knees curled up into my chest. I wrapped my arms around them and placed my chin on top. I hate the feeling of utter despair. I don’t think anyone enjoys it. What was I supposed to do? I go everyday hoping that Rylan will just come back. Soon that hope would be gone and I would have nothing. Could anything really fill the place of hope? Only despair�"and I was beginning to taste that bitter fruit.

The sea crashed at the rocks below me ferociously. Tears slipped down my cheeks one at a time. In my mind I was trying to find a place where I belonged. There wasn’t anywhere. There was only one place I actually fit, and it was a fit like a puzzle piece�"Rylan’s arms.

Quiet breathing seemed amplified in my head. I sniffed and tried to talk, “What do you want?”

“I don’t know.” Phoenix stood right behind me. I hadn’t heard him come up or seen him warp. His voice felt like nails on a chalkboard at this particular moment.

“You’re the last person in the world I want to talk to.”

He sighed and walked around the rocks, “I always am.” That was a very true statement. Still he came and set next to me. He sat on his side and rested his hand in the sand between the rocks. He looked out over the ocean silently and just let the wind whip at his hair. The moon caught his face and made his pale skin a lot lighter. He had really grown even more into his good looks. He looked more like a man. Much like Ryder did when he came back. His plump lips were pursed together in a frown. His brow furrowed heavily in what seemed to be concentration. He turned toward me and sorrow filled his eyes. “It’s not easy for me either you know?”

A laugh cracked through my glum mood. “You’re kidding right, Phoenix?”

“No I’m being absolutely serious.”  His face filled with pain as I questioned his intentions.

My neck turned my head back to look out over the dark water. My chin again leaned on my knees, “how is it so hard for you? Is it because you have to see me?  Do I make it hard for you to be alive? Do I make you sick, Phoenix? Do I? Answer me.” I pushed for an answer I didn’t even want. I exhaled in disgust.

“Actually it’s the exact opposite.”

I froze. What was he saying? I turned to see his face looking down to the sand between us. He was drawing some sort of picture in the sand with his fingers. “Why did you leave?” My voice got quieter and less demeaning.

“I didn’t have a choice.”

“What do you mean you didn’t have a choice? You always have a choice.” I became a little frantic. Phoenix noticed and brought his attention back to me.

“I saw Rylan and how much happiness he would bring you.”

My eyes sunk into his again, “You still had a choice Phoenix. Did you think about the fact that you brought me the same happiness?”

“Not like he brings you.”

I sighed, “Brought.”

We were both silent for a moment. Phoenix mustered up the courage to talk again. “I came back.”

“Yeah, and hooked up with Justin.”

“On recommendation from Rylan,” his eyes fought my emotions.

I blinked away and returned, “What?”

“Do you actually think that I could’ve left you that easily?” I stared at him I didn’t know what to say. His body shifted closer into mine and hesitantly his hand lifted to the side of my face. His hand trembled against my skin. Electricity shot through me as his skin touched mine again. His eyes closed and his hand heaved away as if it was hard to move. Phoenix’s eyes opened and he looked up at me. “Justin means the world to me and I can’t even imagine life without him.” I sighed and pulled a little further away, “but you Collin. You were my first.” I creased my brow and looked for what he meant. “I poured my heart out to you and you sat there through it. You helped me through the hardest time in my life and you were there to hold me. You were my first kiss, my first dance, my first… you know.” He was pouring out his soul to me again. “Nothing will ever take that away and I know you feel the same. No matter what you do you’ll always remember me no matter who you’re with. Don’t deny that while I was gone and Rylan was there that you didn’t think about me.”

My eyes shifted it was true. There were times where his face would pop into my mind but quickly after, Rylan would reappear. “I want you to know that I’ll always be here for you through anything. Even if you live a million miles away; I will be there in an instant. Justin would do the same.”

“Is this about yesterday?”

Phoenix nodded slightly. “I told him not to go over there.”

“You were right.”

He sighed. “We should get you inside its freezing.”

We both stood and his hand touched the small of my back like it used to. Chills ran up and down my spine. They must’ve gone up his too cause he quickly pulled his hand away. We walked silently up to my room. I stepped in through the broken window and into the drafty room. Phoenix stepped in behind me and flicked on the lights. He spun around to look at me. A strange look came into his eye and he walked up to me. He stood inches from my body and with a blink of my eye his lips were pressed into mine. My hands went to his chest and I pushed away as hard as I could, “What the hell are you doing?” I snapped and wiped my lips with my sleeve. His face went white and he froze in the center of the room. “I’m married.” I exhaled in disgust. “You’re engaged. That ring on your finger is not mine.” His gaze moved down to his hand where the silver ring wrapped around his finger. “I can’t believe you would do that to anyone, let alone Justin.” His eyes filled with an apology. Mine filled with tears as I thought how good that kiss felt. I’m positive that it wasn’t because of Phoenix but because I hadn’t had a kiss in what seemed like ages.

I spun around and leaned against the pane of glass that I hadn’t broken. My head leaned against the cold glass as the tears streamed down my cheeks. Someone knocked at the door but I didn’t turn. I heard Justin speak softly, “Phoenix.” He whispered. Phoenix sniffed away what I was guessing was tears.

“What Justin?” he sounded annoyed.

Justin stepped in and closed the door behind him. I spun around to look at him. His eyes snapped to me but then moved to Phoenix’s. His face became serious and he stared straight at Phoenix. “He’s up.”

Phoenix sobered up, “I’ll be right there.”

I spun around again after Justin walked up and put his hands on Phoenix’s shoulders. The wind blew at my hair and tickled the top of my ear. Justin’s voice shook as he spoke, “Actually he’s here.”

“Alright, I’ll be right there.” I heard the door shut behind Justin and Phoenix sighed.

I breathed against the glass and it fogged up on the clear window. Phoenix cleared his throat, “I hope that someday you’ll forgive me. Until then I have something for you.”

My arms crossed over my chest and my gaze stayed out the cool window. Tears were still rolling down my cheeks slowly. They never seemed to stop anymore. Maybe I was bound to cry for the rest of my life.  I heard the door crack open and Phoenix say something. Behind me came a strange noise. It sounded like rubber squeezing against the hardwood floors. A clank of medal gave the sound away, Crutches.

The sound was very unusual so I spun around. My knees melted and my arms sunk to my stomach. Tremors spread through my uncontrollably and I gasped for air. I couldn’t believe it. This wasn’t real�"this couldn’t happen. How was this happening?



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

582 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan