Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Katie Wan

Jo and I spent lunch in the car. Then afterward I went to all my classes�"silently. After all of my classes were over I waited for Jo in the commons area. There were a few small groups of people standing around chatting, but for the most part everyone had left the premises�"I don’t blame them, it is school after all.

Jo was always late leaving because she liked to talk to her teachers before leaving every single day. Usually I would just sit and wait for her. It was a lot better to 1. Walk home alone in the heat of Miami or 2. Ride the bus home�"as a senior in high school that was really frowned down on�"only the freshman and sophomores rode the bus. It was always nice riding with Jo too. So I never had a problem waiting for her.

I was putting all of my books into my bag when I heard footsteps behind me. I didn’t look I just figured it was Jo. I jumped when a warm hand was placed softly on my back. I spun around quickly only to see Phoenix standing right above me.  His hair was gelled back in its usual popular manner. I noticed that when he was around me he just wore his hair loose�"I preferred that. Today for attire, he wore a pair of black football shorts, the jersey kind with the school logo on the left leg, and a white shirt with the sleeves cut off. From what he was wearing I could tell that he was about to head off to football practice�"just like most of the guys running through the hall.

His bright perfect smile filled my body with tiny shocks as he spread his flawless lips over the white teeth. “How was your day?” He asked kindly as if he actually wanted to know, and not just to make small talk. “Did everything go alright? are you feeling okay?” His curiosity really astounded me. I’d never actually had anyone care so much before�"ever. Sure Jo would ask how I was doing occasionally but in the same intensity that Phoenix was asking.

“It was fine,” I answered sheepishly.  “I’m okay,” my voice cracked on those two words, “and yours?” my voice shook with each individual words I tried to say. Being around Phoenix always made me so nervous. Now as I was standing in the commons with people looking it was if I couldn’t even control my tongue.

                “It was fine,” he smiled brightly. As if hearing my voice lit up his whole entire life. “I missed you and Jo at lunch.” People started gossiping in the little groups surround us as Phoenix talked to me. I caught myself looking at them trying to guess the words coming out of their mouths.

                “Yeah we went out today. She had to tell me about how she loves Ryder.”

                Jo walked up to us during the middle of my sentence. My cheeks blushed red and Phoenix snorted a laugh. “Hey, Phoenix” She chimed cheerfully and sat her bag down next to my on one of the platforms. Luckily she hadn’t heard me talking about her; that was a relief.

                Phoenix smiled at her without taking his eyes off me: “Hey, Jo Lee.” Her eyes snapped to me also. “I’m glad I caught you both.” Phoenix smiled and stepped back so he could talk to the two of us. “Tonight the twins are going out with my dad, so Ryder, My sister Veronica, her Fiancée, and I decided we want to go out.”

                He paused and looked at us both with an excited smile on his face. Jo looked over at me and smashed her face together in confusion. “That’s good,” Jo spoke in a deeply sarcastic tone.

                He looked at both of our confused faces. “Oh!” he chimed embarrassed. “I forgot to tell you that we’d like for you to come with us.” He smiled again and I could see the pink rush over his cheeks. “Jo Ryder would like to take you out.”  Her face lit up and she spun around in a dance all over the whole commons area. She was a princess who had just been invited to her ball. She leapt up and down and spun around in circles like she was four years old again.

Phoenix’s silver eyes snapped to me “and I’d like it if you’d come with Me.” the words came so smoothly out of his mouth, as if he’d rehearsed it all day.

Phoenix Oreson and I out together�"in public? Where people could see us?’ My mind shouted at me. My heart raced and I felt a panic attack coming on. My throat started to constrict as if it was tied in knots. My knees began to come weak and I felt my body starting to become weaker and weaker. Fear sat deep inside my body and shook each of my muscles to the core.

                Phoenix’s eyes got huge and round. He put his hands up as if he was surrendering. His voice got quiet and distinct: “it doesn’t have to be like that.” I saw disappointment in his large eyes that were trying very hard to comfort me.

                “No,” I said gasping for air. The disappointment in his eyes touched my heart. I couldn’t believe that someone would want to be with me at all, this whole thing was so new and uncharted in my life book. I guess what I was most afraid of was the paparazzi that would be around. Being with Oresons was like being with a movie star. Paparazzi and news crews seemed to follow them around everywhere. They weren’t ever allowed at school or to the Oreson’s house, but if they ever went anywhere else they would all be there.

Phoenix reached for my shaking body and supported my weight by my elbow, “its fine.” I whispered through my tight throat. “It’s just�"in public�"with Heroes.” Jo noticed me freaking out and returned to us.

“That’s what you’re worried about?”Phoenix laughed while I nodded and tried to catch my breath. “I can bet you that the Heroes will be more nervous than you humans.” He smiled at the sentence he had so cleverly formed. I was confused by his words�"even if they were clever. Was being confused new? I think not. Phoenix caught my confusion and continued on with his thought: “At any moment we could snap. Not all Villains are born as Villains. Some are Heroes’ gone wayward�"down the wrong path.”

Jo smiled at me. “Calm down, Collin.” She and Phoenix shared a look. They understood each other better than I could understand either of them. “I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Her hand went to my shoulder as she encouraged me. She would be going whether or not I would be there.

                “I’ll pick you up at 7:30.” Phoenix rubbed my elbow as he spoke. Then he turned to Jo. “Ryder will pick you up around then too. We’ll go to Terello’s” Jo smiled and nodded.

                “Thanks Phoenix. I’ll get him home.” Phoenix smiled at her then to me. Chills ran up and down my spine as I thought about was going to happen tonight. I wanted to almost yell in excitement and fear all at the same time.

 Slowly Phoenix’s hand lifted from my elbow “I’ll see you tonight.” He tossed a freed piece of hair away from his face and turned around. My lungs continued to gasp as he jogged down the hall to the field.

                Jo laughed when I looked at her. “Let’s get you home.” 



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

511 Views
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan