Chapter 46

Chapter 46

A Chapter by Katie Wan

I talked to Rylan until I finally fell asleep. He listened to every sappy word I had to say to him. He just held me tight and listened as best he could. That night I slept the best I’d ever slept in my life. I knew it was late in the day by the time I woke up. I was making up for about two weeks worth of sleep. When I slowly came out of my fog I heard quiet voices talking. I kept my eyes closed so that I could listen to the conversation being spoken.

Noelani sat near the bed and was talking to Rylan, “I’m so glad that you are alright my boy.”

Rylan talked low in order to not wake me up, “So am I.”

“I’ve missed you.” You could hear the emotion in Noelani’s voice, “and not just these past few weeks.”

My arm was draped over Rylan’s bare chest and I was lying on my side. His right hand stroked my arm that was over him. His warm hands made my skin stand on end. My head rested on his chest and my other arm was curled next to me. Rylan’s extra hand was underneath my neck and sprawled out on my back. “I know mother, the time just wasn’t right.”

This time wasn’t right either.”

“What do you mean?” Rylan asked quizzically.

She paused and the chair scooted closer “did you not hear about Fiona?”

I felt Rylan’s head shake, “What happened?”

Noelani stood and leaned over the bed. Her hand wiped away some hair covering my throat, there had to still be bruises. I heard the air rush from Rylan’s lungs, “Fiona is still a little jealous.”

“I can see that.” Noelani sat back down and Rylan stroked at the skin covering my throat. Although pain shot through me it felt nice to have his fingertips on my neck once again.

Noelani paused and I could hear the small gasps for air coming from her lungs, sobs. “Mom, don’t cry.” Rylan shifted our bodies closer to the edge of the bed.

“I’m sorry,” she sniffed and continued. “You left so quickly before. When you left you said you’d come back but you never said it’d be in a coffin.”

He sighed lifting my head further into the air, “But I’m here now, mother.”

A knock wrapped at the door and I felt Rylan jump underneath me. Before Noelani got up and opened the door Rylan grabbed her tighter, “I love you mom.” The door opened shortly after and feet that were quietly shuffling came in through the door.

I recognized the different gates. It was Phoenix, Justin, Ryder, and Jo lee. As they shuffled in I heard them walk around the bed. Rylan sighed and the door was shut. Noelani took her spot in her chair and the group cleared their throats all at the same time. Jo spoke first, “I’m glad to see you’re up.” She spoke out loud over most everyone else.

Phoenix shushed her and whispered, “He’s sleeping.”

Jo lee laughed, “No he’s not! Do you actually believe that?” The second part of her sentence was directed at Rylan, not Phoenix.

“Of course not, but look at him. Isn’t he adorable?” His chin lowered into my hair and my eyes snapped open. Noelani smiled at me brightly and then looked up to Rylan. My lips grazed his soft skin covering his perfect chest. His hand cupped the back of my neck as I slid up face to face with him. Our lips touched carefully together and then pulled away. His hands covered the sides of my face and he looked deep into my eyes.  “I cannot express how much I have missed you.” For a moment I could’ve sworn I saw a tear, but Rylan would’ve never showed his emotions to anyone other than me. He pursed his lips together as he tried to hold his emotions back.

Phoenix cleared his throat behind us but Rylan didn’t falter. Neither of us cared if we made Phoenix uncomfortable, or anyone for that matter. We breathed each other in for a few moments until I finally rolled onto my own side of the bed. Rylan sat up and faced everyone and I got out of the bed with a sheet wrapped around my bare waist. Jo smirked at me and bit her lip in excitement. Justin was watching every move that I made carefully assessing my mood, there must be some bad news.

I dressed as Phoenix started to speak. “I found my father.” A silent intensity filled the room it was almost unbearable. Rylan’s face became hard and full of anger. His eyes moved to me gauging my reaction. My hands pulled my pants up over my waist and buckled them around my hip bones. I waited for him to continue. He swallowed loudly and kept the moment going, “We have to act fast I won’t be able to find him long.”

Rylan sighed, “So in other words I am basically useless?”

“Exactly.”

I coughed, “I wouldn’t put it that way I can use you in a lot of different ways.”

Rylan sat up slowly, “can you now?”

This time Jo cleared her throat to make us stop, I knew we had to now. I smiled down at the beautiful man lying in my bed. He gave me a look indicating that we would be continuing that conversation later. Rylan’s hand still held out for me and I sat on the bed next to him. His hand fell into my lap and I grabbed it with both of my hands. I massaged each finger carefully. Phoenix looked down at us with jealous eyes, so did Justin. “When are you leaving?” asked Rylan.

“Tomorrow morning.” Rylan nodded and I gasped.

“Tomorrow,” I asked breathlessly? This time I panicked. I had gotten Rylan only a few hours before and already I was leaving him and there was a chance of death? I hadn’t realized that my hand was pinching his quite unbearably until I saw the glow from his eyes trying to protect himself. “Sorry,” I whispered to only him.

“Where is he?”

They all looked at each other tentatively, “Oregon.” Ryder finally answered.

Rylan laughed, “Oregon?” His fingers wiggled in front of his face. “Ooh scary headquarters.” Smiles crossed the tense faces lining the room, all except mine. 

Rylan noticed, but then again he always did. His hand returned into my lap, “everything will be fine.” His eyes turned to Phoenix, “Wont it?” It wasn’t really a question more a threat.

Phoenix nodded and looked at me with careful eyes, “of course.”

I still wasn’t convinced. “I’ll come,” Rylan spoke loudly with his eyes turned towards me.

Everyone protested immediately. Phoenix was the loudest, “You aren’t strong enough.”

“To hell with that. I know what my body is feeling and I feel fine, enough to make sure that Shiloh is alright.” Phoenix walked forward towards the bed.

“You could jeopardize your whole recovery progress.”

Rylan sat up so he was closer to Phoenix. He spoke slowly so that Phoenix would understand him, “I won’t leave him, not again. I couldn’t care less if I end up paralyzed for the rest of my life as long as he’s with me.”

Jo grabbed her hands and looked up at Ryder, “Awe.” She whispered up to him. Ryder smiled down to her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

I wanted to tell Phoenix one thing in this moment, ‘this is how you fight for someone.’

Phoenix still continued to protest. “Then Collin will stay here.”

“No!” I snapped, “I want a piece of your dad just as much as you do.”

“Why? You got what you want,” Justin hissed from behind Phoenix. All the silver eyes in the room shot to Justin. Phoenix’s face became more puzzled now as he looked over Justin.

“Justin, you know we need him. We need all the force we can get.” Justin’s arms crossed over his chest and he brought his hand up to the bridge of his nose.

“I know Phoenix it’s just…” He didn’t continue. Phoenix spun on his heels and walked toward Justin. They stood inches apart and every ear strained to listen to the conversation between the two.

Phoenix looked into Justin’s face and his expressions, “It’s just what Justin?”

A sigh released from Justin’s lips, “I see the way you look at him and I know the only reason that you want him there is so you can somehow get him back.” Everyone’s eyes got huge in the room except for mine and Rylan. My face turned to his and with a swift stroke he moved the hair out of my eyes. He smiled comfortingly to me calming me down.

“Justin, you can’t really be serious?”

Justin’s eyes looked around the room. Everyone shifted their gaze except me. I kept watching and making it known that I was listening. “You love him.”

“I don’t deny that and you know that. You always have.”

Tears swelled up in Justin’s eyes, “You don’t love me as much as you love him.”

“Justin.” Phoenix hissed, “That is ridiculous.”

The whole group began to realize that this was more of a private conversation. Noelani stood and smiled at both Rylan and I. Ryder and Jo walked past Phoenix and Justin. The three of them left the room.  Phoenix had Justin pulled into his chest and was comforting him with a rubbing hand on his back. “Justin, I love you more than you obviously know.”

Justin tried to hold back tears as Phoenix talked to him. Rylan’s hand laced with mine and he pulled me closer into him. My eyes circled over and over across his face. I had to go out and do this, I knew it. He would if he was well enough. Rylan looked over me and he understood… “Go,” he whispered into my ear so quietly I hardly even heard it. 



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

491 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan