Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand and his friends return to the unhealthy part of the forest.

"

    They all looked at me with confusion on their faces. And I knew why. Things like magic and spells just didn’t exist in the world of Wolf People.

    I only knew about it, as well as Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter, because our Wolf Mother talked about it a lot as we were growing up, telling us fantastic tales from her time as a Human.

    And that would explain Quetzal’s bizarre behavior. Spells. Magic. Witchcraft.

    “I’ll try to explain. Humans use things like plants, animal parts, powders and words to create spells that can make you fall in love or someone fall in love with you, cause death, births, control someone, make good or bad things happen…” I could tell by the way they were looking at me that I was making no sense what so ever to them.

    “Remarkable.” Mr. Thunder said. “I’d like to be able to do this …magic.”

    I looked at Mr. Thunder. Maybe I’d gotten through after all.

    “So…someone in the Wolf People world is using this magic…but who is the question.” Miss Feather said.

    “No one is controlling me.” Quetzal said a bit belligerently.

    “I just said it looks like it could be that.” I told him.

    “We didn’t get any scent of humans when we were there.” Mr. Thunder said.

    “Well, perhaps someone besides humans knows magic.” I said.

    “Why don’t we go and start our surveillance then.” said Quetzal. “Find out who or what is using this magic on me.”

    “Enough talking, I agree.” said Mr. Thunder. “Do we go and stake the place out or inform our Packs?”

    “Surveillance.” Quetzal said. “I want to get even with who ever is controlling me.”

    “I agree. Let’s watch.” I said. I looked at Miss Feather.

    She was the one with reluctance. Maybe she was the smartest of us but I knew she’d be right there. She would not allow herself to be left behind for any reason. So much for her smarts, it seemed.

    “I’m a go for this.” She said.

    We all stood up. “Okay.” I said. “Let’s go in our Wolf Forms. I know you two can change easily.” I said to Mr. Thunder and Quetzal.

    “You bet!” said Mr. Thunder.

    “Okay. Let’s do this!” I shape shifted into my black Wolf Form with white guard hairs and tilted my head back to sing of the glory of the change.

    Miss Feather shape shifted into her lovely grizzly color Wolf Form, Quetzal shape shifted into his tan with black guard hair Wolf Form and Mr. Thunder shape shifted into his brown, black and grey haired Wolf Form.

    And they all joined me in song as we celebrated the boundless joy of becoming Wolf.

    Once we were done singing we stood in a circle for a moment, wagging our bushy tails just slightly. We all knew what we were about to do wasn’t going to be fun and games, but something serious, possibly dangerous.

    Are we all ready? I said telepathically to them.

    I am. I heard Miss Feather’s voice in my mind.

    I’m ready. Mr. Thunder answered.

    I am ready. I heard Quetzal’s voice in my mind.

    Okay. Let’s do this! I said.

    I turned and slipped into the shrubbery without touching it, gliding like liquid or air over the forest floor, moving almost without effort.

    I thrilled once again at how powerful and graceful my Wolf Form was. I knew this joy and wonder of taking this shape would never cease.

    Coming up on one side of me was Miss Feather, on my other side was Mr. Thunder. On the opposite side of him was Quetzal.

    Together we headed for that unhealthy part of the forest and the strange structure there.

 

    As we neared that unhealthy location of the forest I slowed. The others slowed as well.

    That feeling of wrongness was growing stronger as we got closer.

    The scent of deer was absent as was the scent of coyotes. Their songs drifted across the forest from a far distance.

    This really feels awful. Miss Feather said.

    Well, we at least know we’re at the right place. I said, not being in such a good mood all of a sudden. I heard a bit of sarcasm in my voice. This place just had a real bad feel to it.

    I slowed to a lope that slowed to a walk.

    I think that structure is just up ahead. Quetzal said.

    I looked around. This location did look familiar.

    I smelled the cold and the deadness coiling about on the air. This had to be the right place. I didn’t want to think there were more of these places around.

    It smells bad; it feels bad so it must be the right place. Miss Feather said.

    The deer and coyotes are missing. Mr. Thunder added.

    I noticed several rats running away from us. Odd, I thought. Then I noticed several more rats fleeing. It wasn’t natural for rats to just run out in the open like that when they hadn’t even been in any danger. I knew they’d stay hidden and wouldn’t run out in the open like that unless flushed out by discovery. Maybe it’s because we’re in Wolf Form, I thought.

    Maybe it’s because they like the deadness smell around here. Miss Feather responded, having picked up my thoughts.

    Mr. Thunder said, perhaps we should find a secluded location to watch the structure from.

    Good idea, Mr. Thunder. I said. Let’s move forward slowly and scout for a nice location.

    Staying in our Wolf Forms we moved forward cautiously, slowly, sweeping the area ahead of us with our eyes for a good secluded place to watch the structure.

    I noticed more rats fleeing ahead of us, running in their curious jumping like ways, their long hairless tails straight out behind them.

    What’s with all the rats? wondered Quetzal.

    I don’t know. It’s rather unsettling. said Miss Feather.

    Yeah, they’re not acting right, that’s for sure. I said.

    We crept forward, keeping our Wolf bodies crouched.

    I spotted the structure. Stop! It’s right ahead of us.

    I froze. Miss Feather froze as did Quetzal and Mr. Thunder. About ten rats fled ahead of us, doing their running jumping thing.

    There was a light in the house. I caught my breath in sick excitement!



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think they probably shouldn't have gone back but with a light on in the structure, well it makes for some tense excitement!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A light? What a great way to end the chapter. I feel just as excited as Armand. The fleeing rats, the uneasiness of the area all of it is quite strange I can't help but wonder what they are getting themselves into.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awesome!! I caught MY breath in excitement too!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This is getting exciting! Maybe we're about to find out who or what is responsible for that odd structure. Freaky rats!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 34 Chapter 34

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter Twenty Chapter Twenty

A Chapter by Tina Kline