Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand and his friends are finally back home at their Village.

"

    I watched Quetzal head off alone and felt a moment of anger and sadness. This was all because we wandered into that awful part of the forest and came upon that odd structure.

    That had changed everything.

    I fought the impulse to go after Quetzal and get him to be my Wolf Pal again.

    Instead I just let him go. I knew he was heading back to his Pack, Mr. Stonevalley’s Pack.

    “Maybe he’ll be himself soon.” said Mr. Thunder.

    I heard Miss Feather sigh unhappily.

    “I don’t know.” I said.

    “Maybe we shouldn’t go back there. Actually, I think we shouldn’t. Nothing good has come of it, why think something will?” Miss Feather said.

    I looked down at her. She was watching me out of her radiant black eyes. An image of Mandie and Joshie came to mind.

    I felt grim. “I think you’re right Miss Feather. Going back will do us no good. Let the Pack Leaders decide what to do about those strange people. I think I’m done.”

    Miss Feather smiled a brilliant overwhelmingly happy smile. I knew I had just made the right decision. At seeing how I had made her smile like that I felt a lightness wash through me, chasing away the wrongness of that place and those people who lived there.

    I felt lighter and freer.

    I smiled back at Miss Feather, gazing down into her eyes.

    Mr. Thunder patted me on the back. “I think that’s best. Let’s tell your Wolf Dad, let him talk to Mr. Stonevalley.”

    “What difference does it make if Shasta and her little group don’t like it?” said Miss Feather.

    “It doesn’t matter at all.” I said taking Miss Feather by the hand, giving it a squeeze and not letting go. “We owe them nothing. Come on you two, let’s head home.”

    Going in a different direction than Quetzal had taken we headed back to our Village.

    Miss Feather stopped after a short distance and turned to face us, a playful smile on her face.

    I couldn’t help but grin back. “What, my sweet?”

    I heard Mr. Thunder make a smirking sound at my use of that endearment. I ignored him.

    “Let’s run back to our Village as Wolves!”

    That sounded like a grand idea, I thought. “I like that idea!”

   “Same here.” said Mr. Thunder.

    Miss Feather shape shifted into her grizzly colored Wolf Form and with a happy little leap she raced off into the forest, flowing out of sight amongst a patch of large dark green ferns.

    I shape shifted and was right behind her and Mr. Thunder in his black, brown and gray Wolf Form kept pace with us.

    We ran in the direction of our Village, feeling the exhilaration and joy at being in our Wolf Forms. The freedom and power we felt was glorious and heightened senses was spectacular!

    The forest around us burst with life when we shape shifted and we flowed like the wind as we raced along. I scented deer that leaped away from us, hearts beating wildly at being startled by us, then pounding in dread when they realized we were predators and they the prey. I bet they were relieved when we just kept going on by. Elk just stood their grounds and watched us race past, knowing we were not hunting. The sun was shining down on the forest and I felt the heat radiating all about me. Bird song was loud and flowed through the forest in waves undulating over the canopy of trees and through it.

    We were nearing our Village and I felt a moment of regret at having to take my Human Form once again and deal with the problems of those half wolf and half human people we had gladly left behind us.

    This is ending too soon. I heard Mr. Thunder’s voice in my mind.

    Ah, yes it is. I said back.

    The sooner we’re done with those people in the forest the better for us. Miss Feather said.

    Miss Feather raced ahead of myself and Mr. Thunder. I surged a little and caught up to her and ran at her shoulder.

    We can get back to doing more important things, like enjoying each others company. I said to her.

    Sounds nice. She said back. Very nice.

    Come on you two, you can get all mushy later, like in private. Teased Mr. Thunder.

    I ran, feeling a lot better and I looked forward to just having a little fun again with my friends. Even though it hadn’t been that long it felt like it had been a really really long time!

   Then I almost stumbled. Quetzal’s face flashed before my eyes. Quetzal, my friend who didn’t really seem like a friend right now, not since we came upon that odd structure and he had gazed through that window.

    I kept pace beside Miss Feather. I wasn’t going to allow myself to fall into that black emotional pit because of Quetzal. He had made his choice to do what he did but, even so, I wasn’t planning on abandoning him, not at all. There must be something we, his friends, could do to help him.

    Let’s just try to keep the hope Quetzal will soon be back to his self again, Mr. Thunder said telepathically.

    I heard Miss Feather’s mental sigh. Yes, let’s not get all sad about him yet.

    We were almost to our Village. It was such a relief, I felt a bit overwhelmed.

    The sounds and scents of our Village drifted over us and around us and I felt comforted.

    We stopped and shape shifted back into our human forms. We were all three smiling.

    I wondered briefly how Quetzal’s homecoming had been. He would be alone since no one but he in his Pack knew of the others. And I knew Quetzal would not betray Shasta by telling anyone about her and her people.

    I took Miss Feather’s hand. “Let’s go. I think we should tell our Pack Leader of Shasta and her people right away and together.” I said to both Miss Feather and Mr. Thunder. I felt a bit awkward when referring to my Wolf Dad as Pack Leader and not as my Wolf Dad when ever I had to speak of him as Pack Leader.

    “Good idea.” agreed Miss Feather.

    “Let’s get it over with.” said Mr. Thunder.

     We headed in the direction to where the Douglas Fir and Broadleaf Maple forest ended and our Village began when we heard voices directly behind us.

    We whirled around almost as one.

    Miss Feather gasped in shock. I snarled and Mr. Thunder growled.

    “Hi Armand!” Joshie and Mandie greeted me.

    They were standing there in their too big tunics, pointed ears turned in our direction, their round green eyes wide and they were breathing heavily.

    Like they had run all the way here behind us!

 

   

 

  

   



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I sure didn't see that coming! Those little brats are nothing but trouble it seems. They should definitely go home before things get hostile.
At least they are out of that anomalous area of the forest. Now their packs can find out about the bizarre hybrid people.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow did not see that coming, at all. I wonder how Armand will handle the situation. Will he bring them to meet the pack and see how the pack decides to handle the situation or will he insist they leave. Those two seem like trouble and I like that I have no idea where this is going.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Major problems now! I can only conclude these twins will be trouble from now on!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Those two, Joshie and Mandie, are just out to cause trouble!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I sure didn't see that coming! Those little brats are nothing but trouble it seems. They should definitely go home before things get hostile.
At least they are out of that anomalous area of the forest. Now their packs can find out about the bizarre hybrid people.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow! THAT was a surprise! Just when they has established a plan and were about to be getting on with their lives it seemed. Hmm... I wonder if they will just bring them to Mr. Black so he can see for himself. And I bet their tongues will be even looser without Shasta to shush them up, that could be interesting :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

424 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 34 Chapter 34

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Tina Kline