Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand and his friends decide to hunt and kill a deer even though they know they are not properly prepared to do so.

"

      Should we? Miss Feather asked me, her voice in my mind.

      I stared hard at the deer. It was on the other side of several shrubs grazing on a patch of long soft dark green grass.

      My body was tense, I was hyper alert. Everything in me wanted to go after that deer.

      Armand?

      I mentally sighed. Neither Miss Feather nor I had been trained in the art of hunting and taking down prey. I knew we shouldn't attack. We were not fully grown yet. We would be risking serious injury. I didn't want to be hurt and I sure didn't want Miss Feather to be injured.

      No, not to hunt. But we can chase. How about it?

      Just to chase only.

      Just to chase only. I spoke to her telepathically.

      I could hear her grin. Alright Armand! Just the fun of the chase!

      Let's go!

      We leaped through the shrubs, crashing through to create a lot of noise on purpose. Since we didn't want to take the deer down we sent it an alarm. We gave it plenty of time for a head start by doing this then we were after it.

     The deer leaped high straight up in the air in its sudden fear and was running before it landed back down. Then it was bounding away with Miss Feather and myself right behind it in pursuit.

    The deer was fast, graceful in the bounds it took through the shadowy Douglas fir and Broadleaf Maple forest. But we were fast too and keeping pace behind it, keeping the distance between us constant.

     And it was exciting! I thrilled at how strong and fast my Wolf Form was. How easy it was keeping pace with the deer. I knew I could easily catch the terrified and fleeing deer if I wanted to.

     Miss Feather and I both could.

     Instead we chased the deer, enjoying its terror. And enjoying the exhilaration of just being able to run so freely through the forest.

     The deer's bounds were getting shorter and shorter. The scent of its fear on the air was intoxicating and so was the scent of its exhaustion.

     It was time to let the deer bound to its freedom.

     I started to slow. Let's let the deer go now. I said to Miss Feather in her mind.

     No!...Oh, alright! Miss Feather slowed and came to a halt.

     We stood there watching the deer flee into the shadowy forest. We stood there watching it until it bounded out of sight.

     Miss Feather sighed with regret.

     They'll be other hunts. I said to her and myself as well as I tried to push down my own feelings of regret.

     Miss Feather made a soft laugh. I could feel its sound in my mind. Shall we go back to the Village now?

     Might as well. We had our fun. I replied.

     We turned and prepared to lope off into the shrubbery when we both sensed a couple Wolf People approaching in their Wolf Forms.

     I sniffed deeply of the air flowing toward me to pick up the scent of the approaching Wolf People.

     Miss Feather was doing the same.

     I recognized the scent of my two friends. Hey! I said to Miss Feather. It's Mr. Thunder and Quetzal!

     They're out looking for fun just like we are! Miss Feather said back to me in my mind.

     I hear you Miss Feather! Quetzal sent the words to her telepathically.

     Hey you! Miss Feather said, a smile in her telepathic voice.

     Glad we caught up to you two. Mr. Thunder said.

     Mr. Thunder in his brown, black and grey Wolf Form and Quetzal in his tan with black guard hairs Wolf Form came slipping into the little clearing where Miss Feather and I were waiting.

     We all shape shifted into our Human Forms then.

     “We were following you two chasing after that deer.” Quetzal said.

     We sat down on the soft dried fir needle covered forest floor.

     “I thought for sure you two were going to try and take it down.” Mr. Thunder added.

     “We decided just to chase it seeing as we haven't received instructions on how to kill effectively.” Miss Feather replied.

     “We were hot on your tails in pursuit meaning to aid in the kill.” Quetzal said.

     “Thanks both of you.” I said. “If we had known....who knows?”

     “We should have tried to contact you.” Mr. Thunder said.

     “We were rather caught up in the thrill.” I said. “We might not even have heard.”

     “Well, you know, there are a lot of deer around and there are four of us now.” said Quetzal.

     “You don't mean...?” Miss Feather said.

     Quetzal looked at her, a lazy smile on his face. “I do mean.”

     “We've received no instructions. None of us have. We're not old enough. I think it's not a good idea.” Miss Feather said.

     “Come on Miss Feather.” Mr. Thunder said. He looked at me. “What about you Armand? Are you in for a hunt and kill?”

     I looked at Miss Feather. I could easily see she wanted to but knew it was a foolish and risky thing to do.

     But I wanted to. I wanted to experience the thrill of the hunt and the ecstasy of the kill. I wanted to consume warm bloody flesh while life still pulsed through it. And just thinking about it made me want to pant with the desire for it.

     “Armand!” Miss Feather said, her voice bordering on scolding.

     Quetzal and Mr. Thunder looked from her to me and back again, waiting.

     I knew she could see I really wanted to hunt and kill and I was on the verge of saying yes.

     “Come on Miss Feather. What harm can it do? There are four of us, we're all nearly adult size and one almost defenseless deer.” I said.

     Miss Feather let out a rush of air. I knew she knew defeat when she saw it. I smiled.

     “Armand. And you Mr. Thunder and Quetzal. There's no hope for any of you.” Miss Feather said, a grin on her face.

     “You part of the hunt, Miss Feather?.” Quetzal asked. I could tell he knew she was, just as I did and no doubt Mr. Thunder did. We were all friends here, had been for quite some time.

     “Yes! Yes! I'm in!” she said sharply. Then she laughed.

     I smiled. “Good. I'm glad.”

     She made a face at me. Then smiled and giggled softly.

     I smiled then looked at Mr. Thunder then Quetzal. They were smiling as well and very excited.

     “Let's do it then.” I said.



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My feelings are pretty much the same as everybody else. Don't think this is such a good idea. I like trish420's comment "Isn't this where they play the dark and suspenseful music" that's what I was hearing when I read the last line. Now I'm in suspense. Need to know what happens next.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is almost like a foreshadowing. I only hope some disaster is not going to befall them now.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My feelings are pretty much the same as everybody else. Don't think this is such a good idea. I like trish420's comment "Isn't this where they play the dark and suspenseful music" that's what I was hearing when I read the last line. Now I'm in suspense. Need to know what happens next.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh! Oh! There can be nothing but trouble ahead now!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uh oh... isn't this where they play the dark and suspenseful music that tells you something bad is about to happen??

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Why do I suddenly have a bad feeling about this? They've had no formal instructions on how to hunt. Some one could get hurt, or worse...

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

488 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 34 Chapter 34

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 8 Chapter 8

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 15 Chapter 15

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 17 Chapter 17

A Chapter by Tina Kline