Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

In the beginning... Armand's tale is just starting.

"

     I had just recently had my first shape shifting experience. Mom and Dad had always told me I'd be able to take on my Wolf Form when I started to physically mature.

      I had worried it would never happen. Why worry Armand, my Mom would ask me when I spoke of this, it will happen. Why would your Wolf Father and I be dishonest with you?

     Why indeed? I had no logical or reasonable answer for my worry.

     But Mom and Dad had been right and deep down inside I knew they had always been right.

     My Wolf Brother, Mr. Hunter and my dear sweet Wolf Sister, Miss Starfire, told me I was a handsome Wolf. Mom did too. Dad didn't say anything about my appearance, he just said, Good job my Wolf Son. I'm proud of you, which was just fine by me.

     My Wolf Self has black hair with a lot of white hair tips and my Wolf Eyes are dark brown. My coloring is very unusual Mom tells me. Even in the Human World the wild wolves there don't have my coloring according to her.

     I am proud but I try not to be too proud.

     Being in my Wolf Form had only been brief that one and only time. I had not been able to hold it. Mom and Dad told me that was normal for a first time. I would be able to keep my Wolf Form longer as I matured. I longed to be Wolf again.

     I lay in bed this night with my bedroom window open listening to the outside sounds. I could hear the coyotes howling. Mom loves that sound and I have grown to love it as well. I often wondered as a Wolf Child if the coyotes were like us Wolf People. Mom and Dad said no.

     Mixed with the coyotes singing I could hear the questing call of an owl. It was sort of a lonely sound as no other owl answered it.

     The whispery sound of bats passing by and above the house were like little soft sighs.

     And then there was the sound of the Wolf People going about their daily lives in the village.

     Suddenly I heard a soft giggle outside my window.

     I sat up in bed and smiled. I knew who it was. One of my really good friends, Miss Feather.

     Miss Feather has wavy brown hair, radiant black eyes and she too, had recently had her first shape shifting experience. I was with her when she managed it and thought her a lovely Wolf of grizzly color and black eyes. She too, longed to experience her Wolf Shape again.

     Neither of us had been able to hold our Wolf Forms for long but we knew we'd be able to stay Wolf longer and longer as we matured.

    Needless to say it had been exhilarating, the Change even though it had been so brief. How everything had been so different. Sight, scent and hearing as well as increased strength of the body.

    Miss Feather and I looked forward to shape shifting again, soon. We both wanted to experience the thrill of running through the forest as Wolf.

    Miss Feather was lurking outside my bedroom window. She is quite the tease, always into some sort of mischief.

    I smiled as I got out of bed. I heard her soft giggle again.

    “Miss Feather.” I whispered as I stood to the side of my window. “What are you doing?” I smiled as I asked this.

     Miss Feather is sweet and a really good friend. I have a couple other friends, one who is a Member of the Pack and one from Mr. Stonevalley's Pack.

     Mr. Thunder is a fellow Pack Member. Close to my age. He is tall, lanky with curly dark brown hair and yellowish brown eyes.

     My other good friend, Quetzal, is a Member of Mr. Stonevalley's Pack. I like him a lot. He has shaggy blonde hair and dark grey eyes.

     But it is Miss Feather who I have a soft spot for. She was also the first Wolf Person friend I had.

     Wolf Children are rare. Mom always told me it is because Wolf People live forever and so few ever die that if Wolf Children were common the Wolf People would overpopulate which would destroy our world and cause endless misery and suffering in the process.

     “Armand.” Miss Feather's pretty voice drifted in through the window.

     “Miss Feather.” I whispered back.

     “Come out. The moon is full, the dark is warm and alive.”

     I smiled. Miss Feather is one for adventure. In that she reminds me of my Wolf Mom.

     Dad liked to tell us Wolf Children tales of Mom when she first came to join the Pack and lots of her exploits after that.

     Mom is different than most Wolf People. She is special. I sure love her.

     Dad sure loves her and so do Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter. We are lucky we have such unique, caring and loving parents.

     I stuck my face against the open window. There is a heavy mesh screen across it to keep the insects out and I saw her standing just below it, slightly crouched.

     “What adventures do you have in mind?”

     “Come out and find out Armand.” She stood up and stared back at me through the mesh screen, her black eyes sparkling with her mischief.

     “I don't know Miss Feather, you might lead me into trouble.” I said in a teasing voice.

     “Hardly.”

     Miss Feather is a lot shorter than me. I had inherited my Wolf Dad's height.

     “Okay.” I finally gave in. “I'll be right out.”

     Miss Feather giggled in her triumph. How can I resist her when she wants something? I can't.

     Miss Feather is so sweet and so pretty.

     I am thankful Mr. Thunder nor Quetzal have ever had eyes on her. She is my friend, has been for quite some time. And they know it. And that is one of the reasons why we three are such good friends. We care about each other and we respect each other.

     I went into the living room. I could hear Mom and Dad talking softly in their bedroom. Miss Starfire and Mr. Hunter were asleep in their room which they still shared. I didn't know why they still wanted to share a room. Mom and Dad had offered to have another room added on the house but they said no, they wanted to share a room. I guess it was because they were twins, like Mom said, and they didn't want to be separated.

     I crossed the living room and opened the door and stepped out.

     Miss Feather was waiting for me with a warm, welcoming smile on her pretty face.





© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I realy liked this chapter and can't wait to read more. The chapter is well structured and the writing is interesting and unpretentious.
I like the range of influences - it makes me think of native american stories, Rudyard Kipling and Philip Pullman.
I love wolves too! I am slightly obsessed.
Cool stuff.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A sweet start to this book told my Armand, his tale.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A excellent first chapter. I like anything written abut the myths and the creature in the woods at night. I will come back and read all on Tuesday. I'm back to work tonight. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I realy liked this chapter and can't wait to read more. The chapter is well structured and the writing is interesting and unpretentious.
I like the range of influences - it makes me think of native american stories, Rudyard Kipling and Philip Pullman.
I love wolves too! I am slightly obsessed.
Cool stuff.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Great opener. Awesome.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like that Armand is telling the story it's nice to get another insight into the Wolf world. Can't wait to see what trouble him and Miss Feather may get themselves into. A great start.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A rather cute start to this. Seeing this world through Armand's eyes will be quite different, in a good way!

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

542 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 15 Chapter 15

A Chapter by Tina Kline