Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand tries to deal with his feelings for Miss Feather and the problem of the strange structure in the forest.

"

    I lay in bed thinking, any prospect of sleep no where near. I gazed out my bedroom window at the nearly full silver blue moon that hung in the dark sky over the Village.

    My Wolf Parents had been awake when I returned but they hadn’t come out of their room to question me.

    I had reached the age where they no longer hovered over me or around me. They treated me as the Adult Wolf Person I was on the verge of becoming.

    And I appreciated that. And I was sure they did too. They’d always be my Wolf Parents but our relationship was changing.

    They’d be there for me whenever I needed them. And that was good.

    My thoughts danced about Miss Feather. Already I missed her. Already I wanted to be with her again. Missing her was an ache in me.

    But I’d see her again soon enough I knew. She wasn’t that far away but it seemed like she was an impossible distance away.

    I had to push thoughts of Miss Feather from my mind, which wasn’t easy, to think about that strange structure and Quetzal’s odd behavior around it.

    But Miss Feather came back into my mind, laughing, tossing her hair, hands on her hips looking daggers at me, her black eyes sparkling and her giggling.

    What is wrong with me? I wondered in desperation. Why can’t I quit thinking about Miss Feather?

    I hit my hands on the bed. Think about the structure! Think about the structure!

    And with effort I was finally able to.

    Who built it? Who or what is living in it? Are there more structures in that part of the forest? Should I tell my Wolf Dad who just happens to be Pack Leader as well?

    I took a deep breath, recalling the structure and Quetzal’s strange behavior. I recalled the odd feel of that part of the forest and the missing deer and coyotes there.

    I kept staring at the moon. I saw a bat flutter by outside my window. The questing call of an owl drifted across the Village coming from its lofty perch in the Douglas Fir and Broadleaf Maple forest.

    In the distance I could hear a pack of coyotes singing and from outside my window I heard the sounds of the Wolf People going about their daily lives in the Village.

    I sighed. I finally felt sleep gently wash over me.

 

    “I know you were out with Miss Feather instead of sleeping.” Mr. Hunter said to me.

    I glared at him.

    He just laughed.

    Miss Starfire giggled. Her giggle was a lot higher than Miss Feather’s giggle.

    When I glared at Miss Starfire she put one hand over her mouth and laughed.

    I made a mean face at her.

    She just laughed even more. And Mr. Hunter stood there laughing at me.

    “You two are impossible.” I said to my twin siblings and sat down on the couch. Miss Starfire sat on the floor and Mr. Hunter sat beside me.

    I could see they weren’t done with me yet.

    “What were you two doing out when most of the Village was asleep?” Miss Starfire asked, her off white eyes blazed with her mischief.

    “You’ll find out someday when you’re old enough Sis if a male takes a fancy to you.” I said.

   She made a fake gasp of outrage. “Armand! Are you hinting no male will ever like me?” She made her eyes as wide and as round as possible.

    “I wasn’t hinting, sweet Sis. Is that something you’re worried about?” I tried to keep the teasing tone out of my voice to make it seem I was asking her a serious question but I failed.

    “Mr. Hunter says I’m pretty so I know I’ve nothing to worry about.” She put a sweet smile on her face and flashed it at me.

    “And you believe him?” I said with a fake mocking tone to my voice.

    “Hey Big Wolf Brother, watch it.” Mr. Hunter said but he knew I was teasing. It was written all over his face. “Miss Starfire is pretty.”

    “She is.” I agreed.

    “But not as pretty as Miss Feather is to you!” Miss Starfire said to me.

    I growled. “Enough of this Miss Feather stuff.”

    Mom came in from the bedroom then. Mom is very pretty. Her hair is long and blonde and her eyes are a radiant green blue color.

    “Stop all this teasing.” She said.

    “He was out with Miss Feather when he should have been home sleeping.” Miss Starfire said.

    “And why is that a problem?” Mom asked Miss Starfire.

    She squirmed a little where she was sitting on the floor. “I guess it’s not.”

    “Alright then. Find something more constructive to do. All of you.” Mom said, looking at each of us in turn.

    Just at that moment my mind went to that strange structure in that unhealthy part of the forest.

    Mr. Thunder, Quetzal, Miss Feather and I were supposed to meet soon to discuss going back there. I hoped Quetzal hadn’t taken off to investigate that place on his own. I was afraid he could end up in a bad way if he did.

    Mom stood there looking at us, waiting.

    I didn’t get up from where I was sitting on the couch nor did Mr. Hunter. Miss Starfire didn’t get up off the floor either. We all just continued sitting where we were.

    Mom let out a little cute laugh. “It seems none of my Wolf Children have anything constructive to do.” She put her hands on her hips.

    Miss Starfire giggled her high pitched giggle. “Seems you’re right Mom.”

    Mr. Hunter got up off the couch. “I’m going outside. I’ll stick to the area outside our porch.”

    “That’s not enough space to have fun in.” I said to him.

    “I’m stargazing. It’s plenty enough space for that.” Mr. Hunter said heading for the door.

    “What about you Armand?” Mom asked me.

    “I think I’ll go hang out with Mr. Thunder and Miss Feather.” I got up off the couch.

    “That leaves me and you.” Mom said to Miss Starfire.

    “What are we going to do Mom?” Miss Starfire asked in an excited tone of voice.

    I headed for the door to go meet up with Miss Feather. Later I’d meet up with Mr. Thunder and Quetzal.



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Armand is trying to deal with to complex issues, a female and the strangers in the forest!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love the interaction between the siblings it was very realistic, the big brother poking fun at his little sister. It's adorable how he can not seem to get Miss Feather off his mind. I also like everyone else was happy to see Louise again. Great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice to get a glimpse of Louise in this book and see a little bit of Wolf Family life with Armand and his much older twin Wolf Brother and Wolf Sister.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can see Louise hasn't changed a bit... I'm not surprised.
Looking forward to figuring out who or what built that structure. Nice work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 8 Chapter 8

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 15 Chapter 15

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 17 Chapter 17

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 26 Chapter 26

A Chapter by Tina Kline