Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand and Miss Feather have a serious talk about the strange structure in the forest and about Quetzal's odd behavior.

"

    I wasn’t actually planning on seeing Mr. Thunder just yet, but Miss Feather alone. For some reason I wanted to keep her to myself for as much as possible. Soon enough I’d have to share her company with Mr. Thunder and Quetzal. But for now I wanted to be alone with her. The fact I didn’t like Miss Feather being around my male friends at all I didn’t want to think about.

    I walked through the Wolf People Village to Miss Feather’s house.

    Moonshine, Miss Feather’s Wolf Mother, was out front of the house doing something, I was certain what and I wasn’t really interested either. I was just interested in seeing Miss Feather at the moment.

   “Hi Moonshine.” I greeted her.

    She looked up and smiled when she saw me.

    “Armand, hello.” Moonshine said.

    The activity in the Village was light, not too many Wolf People were out and about.

    “Is Miss Feather around?” I asked.

    “Sure.” Moonshine turned toward the house. “Miss Feather, Armand is here!” She called.

    “Okay!” Miss Feather’s voice drifted out of the house.

    A moment later she came out. For a moment she just stood there, almost like she was posing on the porch and I stared up at her.

    She took my breath away. Her wavy brown hair glistened in the silver blue moon’s shine. Her black eyes sparkled and her smile was dazzling.

    I couldn’t breathe for a moment. I just stood there staring up at her. I was certain I looked dumbstruck.

    I heard Miss Feather giggle. I shook my head. Then I heard Moonshine laugh softly.

    “Armand.” Miss Feather said as she came down the stairs. “Are you okay?”

    I shook my head again, trying to get my senses back.

    “You two enjoy yourselves.” Moonshine said.

    I felt like I somehow managed to get my senses back and smiled at Miss Feather. She sure looked pretty.

    “Miss Feather.” I finally managed to say. I felt a bit embarrassed by how strained my voice sounded. I cleared my throat.

    “Armand.” Miss Feather mocked punched me on my arm.

    “How about a little practice shape shifting before we have to meet up with Mr. Thunder and Quetzal?” I suggested.

    “Sounds like something I’d like to do.” Miss Feather said. Then to her Wolf Mother she said, “See you later Mom.”

     Moonshine waved us off as we walked back through the Village toward the shadowy Douglas Fir and Broadleaf Maple forest.

    Several Wolf People greeted us as we made our way to the forest. I was popular since I was the Wolf Son of the Pack Leader.

    I reached out and took Miss Feather’s hand. She squeezed mine.

    I looked down at her and smiled. She smiled up at me. I could see questions in her eyes.

    I knew what those questions were about. That strange structure in the forest and Quetzal’s strange behavior. But we wouldn’t talk about it until we were well out of hearing of anyone in the Village.

    We reached the forest and stepped into it.

    It was warm and several owls were calling out from their lofty perches in the towering Douglas Fir trees. Nearby coyotes were singing.

    Several Wolf People were in the forest and in their Wolf Forms and were singing of their loves and of their joys. Such beautiful songs they were.

    “Can we talk first?” Miss Feather asked me.

    I held tighter to her hand. “Let’s keep walking until we’re far from the Village then we’ll talk. I don’t want anyone to hear us.” This close to the Village there would be many Wolf People in the forest.

    We moved through the forest, passing through an open area filled with large ferns. The silver blue moon’s splash spilled down from above and bathed this open place making it look shimmering and magical. The moon shadows here were magnificent.

    After a short spell of silence and once we were a good distance from our Village we found a fallen log covered with moss to settle down upon.

     “Okay.” I said. “Let’s talk about what’s upper most on both our minds.”

    Miss Feather let out a rush of air. She flipped her hair over her shoulder.

    I couldn’t help but watch her movements, feeling like I was enthralled, under her spell.

    “I’ve been thinking of that structure almost nonstop.” Miss Feather said.

    I pulled my eyes off of her and gazed into the shadowy forest. I could see an opossum moving through the shrubs looking for something to eat.

    “I’ve been thinking about it too.” I said.

    “I’m worried about Quetzal. Do you think he’s alright?”

    “I don’t know but I sure hope so.” I said. “We’ll have an idea about that when we meet him and Mr. Thunder later.”

    “I hope he is too. And what about that odd house? What do we do about that?”

    I gazed at her where she sat beside me on the fallen log. The moss growing on it was soft, warm and green.

    “I don’t know. I’m thinking we should really go back and check it out.”

    I could tell Miss Feather didn’t like that idea. She made a little distressing sound. She squirmed uncomfortably.

    “I know. I know. But I think we should check it out. If we don’t all go like we talked about Quetzal will go on his own. I don’t like that idea either. I think it would be a good idea to find out what’s up with it.”

    “We should find out.” Agreed Miss Feather. “But going back on our own? I don’t think that’s such a good idea. I know what we said earlier with Mr. Thunder and Quetzal. I just think we should inform our Pack and Quetzal should inform his Pack.”

    I put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. She felt good next to me. She felt like she belonged there.

    It was hard to focus on the structure and Quetzal with Miss Feather pressed against me but I forced myself to.

    “We can go back and just watch the site, not get up all close to it. See who or what comes and goes there.”

    Miss Feather made a little noise. “I don’t know Armand. Perhaps we should just inform the Pack about this.”

    “We will. I just want to have more to tell them.”

    “What about Mr. Thunder and Quetzal? Think they’ll be satisfied to just watch the structure first?”
    “Yeah. I do. I’m sure they will want to be cautious at first as well.” I said. “I’m sure they’ll agree it’s the best first step in figuring out this mystery.”

    “Okay.” Miss Feather said. “We’ll ask them when we see them.”

    “Good. I’m glad you agree.” I said smiling and tightened my arm around her shoulders for a moment, giving her a hug.

 

      



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Moonshine... I think that's a banned alcoholic drink isn't it? Just messing...
I can see that the whole situation is making Armand a little edgy. I'm not surprised, that's what uncertainty does to everyone. Hopefully he can get his thoughts straight and figure this mystery out.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Armand and Miss Feather have a big mystery on their hands, and Armand has the mystery that is Miss Feather as well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really love the interaction between Armand and Miss Feather. It is so cute and so reminiscent of young love and how you can struggle with your feelings. Still the suspense of the structure can't wait to see what will happen next.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Moonshine... I think that's a banned alcoholic drink isn't it? Just messing...
I can see that the whole situation is making Armand a little edgy. I'm not surprised, that's what uncertainty does to everyone. Hopefully he can get his thoughts straight and figure this mystery out.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awesome. Like seeing how Armand is confused for his feelings about Miss Feather and nice build up of tension to the next chapter and what to do about the structure they discovered in the forest.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 23 Chapter 23

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 24 Chapter 24

A Chapter by Tina Kline