Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand and his friends at last leave the unhealthy part of the forest behind.

"

    Miss Feather grabbed my arm and gripped it tight and looked desperately at me.

    “Don’t Armand. Let him stay. Don’t go after him this time.”

    I looked down at her. There was something on her face and in her radiant black eyes that wasn’t anger at me about Joshie and Mandie. It was something else, I wasn’t sure what.

    I wanted to leave. I didn’t want to keep feeling the sickness that was in me.

    “I agree with Miss Feather. We’ve been here too long already.” Mr. Thunder said.

    I looked to where Quetzal stood with Shasta and Kyle. The twins had gone.

    I sighed. I took a deep breath and bellowed, “Quetzal! Come on! It’s time to leave this place!”

    Quetzal glared at me.

    Shasta pointed in our direction. I was hoping she was telling him to leave and go with us.

    Quetzal shook his head no, his shaggy blonde hair whipping back and forth as he did.

    Kyle looked angry and shook his head.

    I stood there, waiting. Miss Feather and Mr. Thunder stood on each side of me and waited too.

    Several rats went hop jumping by us, their hairless tails straight out behind them.

    “This is too much.” I muttered.

    “Leave him Armand. This unhealthy forest is getting to all of us.” Miss Feather pleaded.

    Mr. Thunder took my arm and pulled it. “Let’s go. Let Quetzal take care of himself.”

    I shook my head in indecision. What to do, I wondered. I wasn’t at all comfortable leaving Quetzal here. The Big Fool refused to accept the badness of this place and the fact Shasta and Kyle didn’t want him with them.

    Suddenly, as we stood there still watching Kyle said something harsh and gave Quetzal a rather violent shove.

    “Hey!” Quetzal shouted and stumbled backwards and ended up on his rear end.

    I almost wanted to laugh but that awful sick feeling was churning in my gut.

    Miss Feather snickered. So did Mr. Thunder.

    Shasta looked down at Quetzal. I easily heard her voice as she said to him, “Listen Quetzal. Things will go better for you if you do leave now.” Her face had no expression on it and her large round blue eyes looked cold. I could easily see that from where I stood.

    Kyle flashed Quetzal a very unfriendly smile and he and Shasta turned and entered their odd dwelling.

    “I guess he’ll be coming with us now.” Mr. Thunder said.

    “Hope so.” I said.

    “Big Stupid Fool.” was all Miss Feather muttered.

    Quetzal got shakily to his feet, brushed himself off and turned to look at us. Luckily none of us were smiling or smirking at that moment. I had no doubt that if Quetzal saw even a slight expression of humor or mocking on our faces it would not have gone well at all. Quetzal started toward us, a very dark frown on his face.

    I was relieved he was finally coming. His addiction to Shasta was not a good thing at all.

    Nor was Joshie and Mandie’s attraction to me.

    Now we would have to decide if we tell our Packs about Shasta, Kyle and the twins or not. Shasta didn’t want anyone but us returning. Did what she want really matter in this situation? Decisions. Decisions.

    Quetzal reached us without uttering a word. And without saying anything either Miss Feather, Mr. Thunder and I turned back and we all headed through the forest back to our Villages.

 

    We walked in silence for awhile, Quetzal lagging behind the rest of us, like he resented us or something. I didn’t much care what he was actually thinking or feeling at the moment, I was just relieved he was with us.

    I was lost in my thoughts and I figured Miss Feather, Mr. Thunder and Quetzal were all just as lost in theirs.

    We had been through a weird experience and all of it hadn’t been positive.

    I knew Miss Feather was probably resentful of me. I knew I had hurt her. I realized because of her jealousy of Mandie and Joshie that her feelings toward me weren’t all based on friendship.

    All my feelings weren’t based on friendship toward her either. We had never spoken of these feelings. Perhaps it was time that we did.

    It was obvious when we left the part of the forest under Shasta’s spell.

    The cold deadness smell faded rapidly as did the odd unhealthy feeling.

    And just as quickly the sick feeling in me that had been there the whole time while in that part of the forest left me. I felt powerful relief. I felt lighter and freer.

    The others were also feeling that relief. I could tell in their body language.

    The tense, tight look left their bodies, their steps became lighter and they walked with their backs straighter. And their breathing was more relaxed.

    The sun even seemed brighter as we left that area of the forest behind.

    I noticed the yummy scent of deer right away too.

    “So.” Mr. Thunder broke our silence. “I can breathe freely again.”

    Miss Feather laughed. “Me too.”

    I heard Quetzal mumble something behind us. His tone of voice said he wasn’t very happy.

    “What was that you said Quetzal?” I asked without turning around.

    “Shut up Armand.” Quetzal growled.

    I turned around then to face him, walking backward slowly. “We’re out of that unhealthy part of the forest. You found out about that odd structure, who lives in it and all, so why the bad mood?” I smiled at him as I asked.

    “Well, Armand, I’m sure you all figured that out, I didn’t want to leave!” he growled.

    I stopped walking. Miss Feather and Mr. Thunder turned to face him too.

    “That’s just foolishness Quetzal.” Mr. Thunder said.

    “I agree. They’re not all that friendly and Shasta isn’t at all to be trusted.” I said.

    Quetzal glared at all of us then pushed past us and started walking. “Shut up all of you.” He growled as he walked away.

    I looked at Miss Feather and Mr. Thunder who were looking at me. We were all concerned about Quetzal.

    “Something is still very wrong with him.” Mr. Thunder said.  And he spoke aloud what we were all thinking as we watched Quetzal walking away from us.



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I felt better as soon as they left the dead part of the forest! LOL Really though, I am very worried about Quetzal, he doesn't seem to be doing too well at all. Has he always been kind of annoying and self-centered or is this all a recent development? It's interesting to me that Shasta didn't want him to stay either, is he under a spell or is this an unintended consequence for her as well?? Superb chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I have to agree with everyone else I felt relief as soon as they got out of the forest. I'm curious about Quetzal his behavior is definitely stanger than usual. Makes me wonder if he's still under a spell or if he really just wanted to stay there. Another great chapter. I can't wait to see what happens next. Do they tell the pack about what they have found? And will Quetzal go back to his normal self?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Quetzal's got it bad. Now I wonder what Armand, Mr. Thunder and Miss Feather are going to do about these people they've discovered in the forest?

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I felt better as soon as they left the dead part of the forest! LOL Really though, I am very worried about Quetzal, he doesn't seem to be doing too well at all. Has he always been kind of annoying and self-centered or is this all a recent development? It's interesting to me that Shasta didn't want him to stay either, is he under a spell or is this an unintended consequence for her as well?? Superb chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

At last they're away from that unhealthy part of the forest, feeling better but Quetzal isn't at all happy. I think something not too nice waits for him, but I have to wait and see.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 10, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 34 Chapter 34

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter Twenty Chapter Twenty

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter Twelve Chapter Twelve

A Chapter by Tina Kline