Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

A friendly discussion with the strangers becomes tense.

"

    I was glad when neither Shasta nor Kyle took offense at Miss Feather’s words. They just laughed in a friendly manner.

   “It’s fun getting to know new people.” Shasta said.

    Quetzal was watching her so closely I rather felt embarrassed for him.

    “It is fun getting to know new people.” Quetzal said, nodding his agreement.

    “Shasta!” Either Mandie or Joshie suddenly burst out. “Why don’t we prepare a meal for Armand and his people?”

    The one speaking, which ever one it was, grey round eyes got even rounder.

    No way! I thought! Just thinking of eating cooked meat and vegetables made my stomach churn in an unpleasant way.

    “Yeah!” said the other twin. “Can we Shasta?”

    Shasta frowned. “Were you two not even listening?”

    “Why?” Mandie and Joshie asked.

    Kyle said with an impatient sigh, “Pay attention you two.”

    “We don’t eat cooked meat or nor do we eat plants.” Quetzal informed them.

    They looked stricken for a moment. Perhaps they realized their mistake or maybe it was having a stranger correct them that made them feel that way.

    “That’s right.” Shasta said. “Listen to what our new friends are saying about themselves and learn.” Then Shasta looked at me. “I apologize for them.”

    I waved my hand in a dismissive gesture. “No harm done.”

    “I’m sorry Armand.” One of the twins said.

    Then the other one said, “I’m sorry as well.”

    “Apologies accepted.” I said, putting a friendly smile on my face.

    Both twins smiled back at me, almost shyly.

    “Don’t worry about it you two.” Mr. Thunder said.

    Miss Feather just glared at them, a rather pleased smile on her face at their mistake.

    I decided a change of subject was called for and I had the perfect new topic of conversation.

    “I am interested in your magic Shasta. I’d like to know more about it.” I said.

    Kyle laughed uncomfortably.

    The lingering smiles on the twin’s faces instantly vanished.

    And Shasta suddenly had a dark look on her face.

    A very cold and unpleasant feeling filled the room. The darkness outside suddenly seemed to seep into the well lit room.

    Oops! I thought, wrong question to them but the very right question for me.

    Miss Feather and Mr. Thunder looked suspicious and very alert. Quetzal wasn’t paying attention to anything except Shasta.

    “What was that spell you put on me? I know you said it was a binding spell but what exactly does that mean? The word binding doesn’t make any sense if it was meant to keep me and my friends away?” Quetzal asked, his eyes filled with something very positive for Shasta.

    I was starting to feel sick but was pleased at his question. I wanted to know the answer to that as well.

    She looked at Quetzal, her round blue eyes rather unfriendly now. “I don’t feel as if I need to answer your question Quetzal.”

    Quetzal looked shocked by her answer. He sat up straight and looked very uncomfortable. He looked wounded.

    Now I felt a little anger toward Shasta. I kept that feeling out of my voice as I asked her, “Can we talk about your magic? Do all your people practice magic?”

    I could tell Shasta didn’t want to answer. She looked at me and put a false smile on her face.

    But before she could answer either Mandie or Joshie did it for her. “She is one of the few people who practice Witch Craft and she’s teaching me!”

    I looked at the one who answered and smiled and said in my most friendly voice, “How lucky for you to be learning something so useful.”

    “Mandie!” Shasta said in an angry voice. “Be quiet!”

     I smirked.

    Mr. Thunder was smirking too, I noticed.

    Miss Feather just looked unhappy.

    I bet she wished she were back at our Village. I was feeling that way but I wanted a little more information. This whole place just had a bad feel to it, it was making me feel a little sick and Wolf People didn’t get sick.

    “Mandie, Joshie. I think you two need to go outside for a while.” Kyle said.

    “No!” They both protested.

    “Yes.” Insisted Shasta.

    “What did we do wrong?” I was certain it was Mandie asking that. “I just answered Armand’s question!”

    “It wasn’t your place to answer.” said Shasta.

    I noticed Quetzal inching away from Shasta. Perhaps her female attributes were fading in the face of her unfriendliness toward him.

    “Don’t punish them. I am very interested in your magic.” I said.

    Shasta glared at me. “Don’t interfere.”

    “I’m not. Since it was my question that’s got them in trouble I feel responsible to come to Mandie’s and Joshie’s defense.”

    “Is it your magic that keeps the deer and coyotes away from here?” Mr. Thunder asked.

    I applauded him for asking that question. I wanted that answer as well.

    Mandie and Joshie squirmed. I knew they were desperate to answer Mr. Thunder’s question. They looked at me with large round unhappy eyes.

    I smiled a sympathetic smile at them. I could win those two over so easily, I knew. I decided it would be our best interest if I did.

    “Do you know the answer to that Mandie?” I was keeping track of who was who since they were sitting down and not moving about.

    “Shasta did it!” Joshie said, unable to stay quiet.

    Shasta let out a big, unhappy sigh that was almost a moan.

    I smiled at Joshie. She smiled back, so did Mandie, bursting with pleasure at my approval.

    I knew Miss Feather was growing quite angry at me. I wasn’t pleased but I felt we needed to know all we could about these half wolf half human people.

    They were friendly right now but I wasn’t so sure that would last.

   



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Why is she so defensive about their magic? Makes me very suspicious about what she may be hiding. I also want to know why she keeps the animals away it's very bizarre. Armand wants answers and I think he will get them. Love the ending wonder if it is foreshadowing whats to come. Great chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The situation looks like it might get violent. Joshie and Mandie look like possible trouble makers and poor Miss Feather isn't happy them at all.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Why is she so defensive about their magic? Makes me very suspicious about what she may be hiding. I also want to know why she keeps the animals away it's very bizarre. Armand wants answers and I think he will get them. Love the ending wonder if it is foreshadowing whats to come. Great chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hmm. These people seem very uncomfortable about their 'magic,' as they call it. They appear to be using some sort of powerful stuff to be able to keep an entire area clear of large animals. Makes me look forward to finding out more!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh no. Someone is a tad bit touchy. Amusing. Awesome story. I want answers to these mysteries just as Armand does!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Got me curious. Looking forward to more of the story. This is really a good one.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Oh! Touched a nerve did we Armand? I love that I can picture the twins wiggling and anxious and trying not to talk like my 3 year old does! Very, very interesting developments.... why did she want the animals out of their part of the forest?

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 34 Chapter 34

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 16 Chapter 16

A Chapter by Tina Kline