Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

Armand must make a quick decision when the situation with the new people starts to take a negative turn again.

"

    But the magic questions I decided to let go for now. What I wanted to know more of before we returned to our Packs was the location of their other people and their numbers.

    I didn’t expect to get exacts but a close approximate would be helpful information.

    I decided to cool the situation down before anymore questions were asked. I’d get nothing if these odd people got too angry with us. “I’m sorry Shasta. Forgive my questioning about your magic. Wolf People don’t have magic abilities, or at least the knowledge to do magic as you do.”

    I stared at her, hoping to see her anger subside.

    She glared back at me out of angry large round blue eyes.

    She looked quite extraordinary. I made my smile bigger, hoping it looked genuine. She let out another rush of air, causing the hair around her face to flutter.

    Then she smiled a little. “There’s no need to apologize. Your people, Wolf People you call yourselves, don’t understand or know our customs anymore than we do yours. It’s only natural you’re curious and want to learn of us as we are curious and want to learn of you.”

    Kyle smiled then, putting his hands together. “Good. Let’s just try to remember that. There is no need to become angry with each other over these misunderstandings, which are bound to occur again.”

    “I agree.” I said. “Let us be friends, not enemies.” I was hoping to still ask my questions about their numbers but decided to wait a bit before I did.

    “I agree too.” said Shasta.

    Quetzal looked happy again but he kept the same distance between himself and Shasta. I was certain that shortly he’d be inching closer to her once again.

    “Perhaps we should be going Armand.” Miss Feather said. “We’ve been gone from our Packs quite some time.”

    I easily picked up the undercurrent of stress and unhappiness in her voice. I knew Miss Feather well enough to know she’d had enough.

    Maybe she was right. But I so wanted to learn all I could of these people before we handed this strange group over to our Packs.

    “Oh! Don’t go Armand!” I was pretty sure that it was Mandie who said this. “I don’t want you to go!”

    Her pointed ears were laid back; her large round grey eyes had gone tragic. She clutched my arm tightly.

    I heard Miss Feather make a soft hissing sound. I was totally convinced she really wanted to growl and snarl she was so angry with Mandie’s behavior and maybe me because I didn’t stop her or Joshie.

    I was afraid she’d be no friend to Mandie and Joshie if the situation with these people went positively and we all became friends.

    “You four haven’t met the others yet.” Shasta said.

    “Maybe later.” said Mr. Thunder. “We do need to be getting back.”

    “Isn’t that Armand’s decision?” I was pretty sure it was Joshie asking that. She was just as anxious for me not to leave as her sister was.

    Miss Feather made an unpleasant little noise. Mr. Thunder shook his head like before; maybe he thought we were all hopeless now. Quetzal just had a frantic look on his face.

    Quetzal didn’t want to leave either. I felt at a sudden loss as to what to do. I wanted to stay on friendly terms with these strange half wolf and half human people. I wanted to know their numbers and whereabouts in the forest but two of my friends were reaching the end of their limits.

    If I insisted on staying I’d upset them and I didn’t want to do that. Quetzal wouldn’t be upset I knew, but I was thinking something was still wrong with him.

    Since I had assumed the Leadership Role here I’d make the decision. I hoped I’d make the right one.

    I looked at Miss Feather. Her usually radiant black eyes were dull with hurt and disappointment as she looked back at me.

    Mr. Thunder didn’t look at me too kindly either.

   Quetzal just wanted to stay with Shasta even after she acted rather unfriendly toward him.

    And all I could think about was wanting to solve the mystery of all this.

    Maybe the odd feeling of this place, the cold deadness scent floating in the air had gotten to all of us, including me.

    Some kind of negative enchantment had been cast over this odd structure and the area surrounding it.

    My Mom had talked of such spells. Could it be? Was that why the deer and coyotes abandoned this part of the forest? The twins said it was Shasta’s doing. I was certain she must have cast a spell that went far and wide. That would explain the weird behavior of the rats around here, why they acted so bizarre. The deer, coyotes and rats couldn’t tolerate the magic being used here. The deer and coyotes were able to leave but the rats didn’t or couldn’t so just went crazy.

    From what my Mom had told me, Shasta must have some pretty powerful magic.

    What to do? What should I do? Could I trust my own decision?

    Everyone in the room was watching me. I felt uncomfortable all of a sudden, I felt hot, like I was flushed.

    “Stay Armand. Stay with us.” Joshie pleaded in a soft voice, still holding onto my arm.

    She wanted much more from me than just staying a little while longer, I suddenly realized. I fought the impulse to shake my arm loose from her hold.

    “At least stay for a while longer.” Shasta said. “We can prepare raw meat for you.”

    “Ew.” Whispered Mandie, then she smiled. “I’d get use to it Armand. I would prepare raw meat the way you like it for you all the time if you teach me. Me and Joshie.”

    “I’m sure!” Miss Feather blurted out. “You sound as if you two want to share him as Mates!”

    “Miss Feather.” Mr. Thunder said in a subdued warning tone.

    I made my decision then and stood up suddenly. Learning more about them would just have to wait. The situation was starting to turn bad again. It was time for us to go. “I believe myself and my friends are tired. Meeting you, though it has been a pleasure and a delight, has worn us a bit. I’m sure you all can understand.”

    When I stood Joshie and Mandie stood at the same time, not losing their grip on me. It was as if they were somehow attached.

    Miss Feather and Mr. Thunder both quickly stood. Kyle and Shasta did as well.

    Quetzal stood and kept his position by Shasta’s side.

    “We understand completely.” Shasta said.

    “You’re not leaving, are you Armand?” Mandie asked in a teary voice.

    “I have to return to my home for now.” I told her.

    “You will return Armand? We still want to get to know you.” Shasta asked.

    “I will.” I said.

    “Just you and your three friends here if they wish. No one else.” said Shasta.

    Oh no, I thought. If we tell our Packs, it won’t be us returning.



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well that was pretty intense there for a while! Kind of unsettling that Shasta is saying no one else can come.... will Armand still do the right thing and tell his pack about them? I loved being privy to Armand's internal thoughts and struggles to make teh correct decision for everyone. Great chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

All I'm thinking as I read is get out of there. When Shasta says: "Just you and your three friends here if they wish. No one else.” It's kind of creepy. They are too young to try and be handling this. I hope Armand makes the decision to leave and tell the pack so they can choose to handle the situation or leave the half human/half wolfs to themselves and live as they have been all along. Loving the suspense. (I can't believe I never finished this book)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think just getting out of there is the best course of action. I feel nothing but trouble is going to come from these half wolf half human people.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is something not so cool with Shasta and Co. I can't decide for sure whether they should tell their Packs but perhaps that would be best.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Man these creatures are strange... I hope Armand does the right thing. Fantastic so far, looking forward to more!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well that was pretty intense there for a while! Kind of unsettling that Shasta is saying no one else can come.... will Armand still do the right thing and tell his pack about them? I loved being privy to Armand's internal thoughts and struggles to make teh correct decision for everyone. Great chapter!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

449 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 5, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 34 Chapter 34

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 10 Chapter 10

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 12 Chapter 12

A Chapter by Tina Kline