Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

A Chapter by Tina Kline
"

The mystery deepens.

"

    Let’s get behind these shrubs! I said telepathically.

    We crouched low and crept behind some thick shrubs. A bunch of rats came scuttling and hop leaping from beneath it and scattered.

    Weird. So many rats in one place. I said.

    Too weird.  Agreed Mr. Thunder.

    Miss Feather was peering through the shrubs at the odd looking house.

    I settled in beside her and did likewise. I tried to ignore the rats that were still leaping about in their little rat ways.

    Wish these rats would get out of here. They might draw attention to us. Worried Mr. Thunder.

    How about just snapping them all in two? Suggested Quetzal.

    Sounds like a good idea. Replied Mr. Thunder.

    Let’s just focus on the structure. The rats will settle down. I said.

    But they didn’t look like they were going to. They kept hopping about. It was a little too distracting and a bit unnerving. They weren’t acting like rats usually do.

    I kept my eyes focused on a window almost directly in my line of vision. I was sure it was the one Quetzal had been staring into earlier.

    I watched, trying to decide what to do next now that we were all here.

    The rats kept scuttling about.

    Now what do we do? Miss Feather asked.

    Get closer. Said Quetzal

    I wondered. But we were here to check this structure out. How about we circle it, view it on all sides, see if there is light in the whole thing, then check out the area around it to see if there are anymore structures.

     Sounds good. Said Mr. Thunder.

    I’m in on that. Said Miss Feather.

    Okay. Quetzal said.

    I could tell Quetzal just wanted to go up to the structure and boldly peer into the window again. There was light in there now, no doubt he’d get an excellent view of something or someone.

    Keeping low and still in our Wolf Forms I led the way in a wide circle around the building.

    At least we didn’t encounter anymore weird acting rats as we made the circuit and ended up where we started.

    There was nothing unusual in the area besides that one structure itself that we saw. The whole structure had light in it now. We saw no figures passing by any of the windows and the light was constant, not flickering like fire light would.

    Let’s shape shift into our Human Forms. I suggested.

    Think that’s such a good idea? Asked Miss Feather.

    I do. We’ve just spread our Wolf scent around the place, so let’s explore now in our Human Forms.  I said.

    Everyone agreed and we shape shifted back into our Human Forms. When we did the rats around us fled, hop jumping away with their hairless tails straight out behind them.

    “Weird.” Muttered Miss Feather as she watched several rats disappearing beneath a nearby shrub and shooting out the other side and keep on going.

    “We didn’t see anything new around this structure. I think we should explore the area for more structures.” I said.

    Mr. Thunder ran his hand through his curly dark brown hair. “I don’t know. The weird feeling here is getting to me. And that cold dead smell on the air.” Mr. Thunder shuddered.

    I didn’t like the odd feeling here or the cold and deadness scent that lingered heavily on the air either.

    “We should figure more out about what is going on here since we are here.” I said.

    “Why?” Mr. Thunder asked.

    Quetzal said, “We’re here. We agreed on this Mr. Thunder. You’re not going to let us down, are you?”

    Mr. Thunder glared at Quetzal. “Well, then maybe we should start walking around, see what kind of mess we can get ourselves involved in.” He said sarcastically.

    Quetzal just snarled at him and turned away. “Well? Are we checking this out or not?”

    “We are.” I said.

    Miss Feather let out a loud breath. “At least the rats left.”

    Mr. Thunder made a weird laugh.

    I glanced toward the structure. We were concealed behind several shrubs.

    I felt a white hot bolt of shock stab right through me! I had just seen someone walk past a window!

    And it did look like a someone! It had been a silhouette in a human shape!

    “Hey!” I cried out forgetting to keep my voice low. “I just saw someone pass by that window!” I realized I was pointing too!

    Everyone jumped as if hit with that same white hot bolt that I had felt shoot through me. Their soft hisses, snarls and growls filled our little hiding place.

    “What? You saw something!” Said Quetzal, he was tense now, coiled as if he were about to burst from our hiding place and storm the structure.

    “What did you see?” Asked Miss Feather.

    “This all feels so wrong!” Moaned Mr. Thunder.

    “A figure, human like.” I said. My heart was pounding. This was the first glimpse we had of who or what was responsible for this structure and they were human in form, anyway.

    We were all trembling with a mixture of excitement and fear of the unknown. This whole situation we were in was one big unknown.

    “Shall we get closer now Armand? Since we know someone or something is inside.” Asked Miss Feather.

    I took my eyes away from the lit up window and glanced at Miss Feather. I could see the excitement burning in her black eyes.

    She was ready for the hunt, this hunt.

    A quick glance at Mr. Thunder and I saw the excitement burning in his yellowish brown eyes. However reluctantly, he too was ready for this hunt.

    I didn’t need to look at Quetzal to know he was ready for the hunt. He was already half way to the structure even though he hadn’t actually taken a single step yet.

    And I felt the excitement burning through my blood. I was just as eager as the rest for this hunt.

    But I didn’t think we should just go rushing the house boldly and confronting what ever it was inside.

    “We need to watch more. We don’t know who or what they are yet, whether they are friendly or not. We need to keep watching and learn more about them for now.”

    A wave of disappointed grumbles came my way but they all agreed it was right.

    Better to know more before we approached who ever or what ever was inside that odd structure.

    



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I was on the edge of my seat thinking they were going to just barge into the structure and am so relieved Armand was smart enough to not allow them to do so. A human form inside the structure so is it human or wolf? If it was human they would be able to smell it but than again if it was wolf wouldn't they pick up on that scent? So many lingering questions..

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Everyone is ready for action and someone or something is in the structure. Your book is full of tension, excitement and mystery. It keeps pulling me back for more.
Can't help but wonder what is going on with the rats!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was on the edge of my seat thinking they were going to just barge into the structure and am so relieved Armand was smart enough to not allow them to do so. A human form inside the structure so is it human or wolf? If it was human they would be able to smell it but than again if it was wolf wouldn't they pick up on that scent? So many lingering questions..

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Quite the mystery going on here. At least they figured out that the place isn't vacant. Wonder who or what it is...

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ooooh, so many questions! If they are human why couldn;t they smell them?? Is it another "bad" wolf person?? I gotta confess, I was just reading and the rats were creeeeeping me out :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Another wow! Getting closer to knowing WHO is living in that house, they at least look human.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2010
Last Updated on March 26, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 8 Chapter 8

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 15 Chapter 15

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 17 Chapter 17

A Chapter by Tina Kline


Chapter 26 Chapter 26

A Chapter by Tina Kline