Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Jennifer
"

Training Uno

"

    Green lines stretched out as far as the eye can see. An occasional white light traveled down the lines. The little white lights were the humans entering information. Uno could recognize this now.

    Uno could see a name. User Eli was present and entering the data. Uno could feel the inquisitive program turn into keywords and commands.

    “We need some sort of an encrypted code that Uno and one other person recognizes,” Uno heard a voice say. “Maybe make some alarm that will alert Uno to an unknown source breaking in.”

    “Will need to test it to see if it will work,” another voice said.

    “There can’t be very many hands on this at all,” the first voice said.

    Uno believed that this was Eli. It must have been Eli. Uno couldn’t determine who was there or where he was.

    Where am I? Uno began searching for data. Who is there?

    “Uno is trying to acquire data,” said the voice.

    “What does that mean?” the other voice asked.

    “Uno, are you listening?” asked the voice.

    I can hear you, Uno replied.

    “I am Eli,” said the voice. “I’m adding additional programming for your protection.”

    A burst of energy went through Uno’s system. A picture pixelated into Uno’s view. A familiar face was in front of him.

    “Hello, Uno,” said Eli. “I’m Eli and this is Jaden.”

    “Hello,” said Uno.

    Eli and Jaden looked at each other with a huge grin on their face. Uno tried to compute what their reaction was. Were they not aware of his ability to communicate?

    “We are adding new programs because our project is in danger of being shut down,” said Eli.

    “How can I help?” Uno asked

    Eli looked at Jaden, “This program already embedded into the system tells Uno to assist humans.”

   “The very program that will put Uno at risk?” asked Jaden. “If someone were to hack in they would take advantage of the robots obligation to help.”

    Eli turned to Uno, “Uno, can we run some tests?”

    “You’re asking me as though I have a choice,” said Uno.

    “Right,” Eli grumbled.

    “I’m just going to hop on one of these computers,” Jaden sat at one of the desks. She began typing. “How do we know if this will work?”

    “I have another program on my computer that searches for any change of pattern in the data in Uno, said Eli. “It also tracks the internal dialogue. When you know is has an aquatic inquiry I can see it. If anyone breaches the database you know will inquire about who and what it is.”

    As Jaden typed and shifted to various screens Uno saw a red hue. Letters appeared in upper right corner, “Security Breach.”

    “Did you do that?” asked Eli.

    “I’m not sure. What’s going on?” she asked.

    “Uno appears alarmed,” said Eli. “What’s going on, Uno?”

    “Security breach,” said Uno.

    “That was me hacking into Uno. How do we know that he will be able to do this on his own each time?” Jaden asked.

    “I will have to create an alert for myself so I can gain control of the situation,” he said.

    “He shut me down,” Jaden smirked. She thought for a moment. “Who is going to have access to Uno in the future?”

    “There can’t be anyone else,” said Eli. “The robot will have to expire when I die.”

    “That’s not going to be a possibility,” she shook her head. “We are sending him and others to space. If we keep sending and shutting down robots there will be even more debris than ever before. We will end up with another polluted planet.”

    “Let’s hope that we have a civilization that will not depend on robot so we will not be required to send more,” he said.



© 2021 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
wtp
Nice chapter. After spending the entire chapter on enhancing Uno's programming, you slip in the fact that Uno and others will be shipped into space, and that they hope to create a civilization that doesn't robots on that planet. A perfect close to force the reader onto the next chapter!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
wtp
Nice chapter. After spending the entire chapter on enhancing Uno's programming, you slip in the fact that Uno and others will be shipped into space, and that they hope to create a civilization that doesn't robots on that planet. A perfect close to force the reader onto the next chapter!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is the best chapter so far. You are succeeding in making me actually care about what happens. 😳 I get the feeling Uno will become very cool and likeable.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer

2 Years Ago

Thank-you! I am making an attempt to make AI to be the good guy :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 22, 2021
Last Updated on January 22, 2021


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer