Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

        When I go in the kitchen my brother, Vik, is sitting at the table eating waffles. His very annoying python is wraped around his neck and shoulders. A plate of buttered pancakes sits in front of an empty chair. Next to them is a small silver wraped present. 

        “Good morning, Mim,” Vic says lightly. “Did you have fun harassing Syree?” 

        “She should know not to bug me this early,” I growl as I sit down. I push the present to the side and start eating. 

        “But you should be more civil. Balances aren't so grouchy.” He sips his tea. “You should at least pretend to like people.” 

        “I do, just not this early in the morning.” I start eating my pancakes. After the first few bits, I start to feel more awake. “Hey, guess what.” 

        He smiles. “What?” 

        “You are my favorite brother.” 

        “I'm your only brother.” 

        “Yep, I know. One of the reasons you are my favorite one.” I smile and eat the rest of my pancakes. 

        “You are just silly.” He takes my plate as soon as the last bit of pancake is in my mouth. “Open your present.” 

        I wrinkle my nose at him as I finish chewing and pick up the silver box. It is light and I start to get worried. “It isn't what I think it is, is it?” 

        “Open it and find out,” he calls from the other side of the bar. He rinses the dishes off and puts them in the dish washer. 

        I look at the box. It can be a lot of things, like the keys to a car or a gift card to my favorite store. It can, on the other hand, be make up or hair care products. Even though Vik has been taking care of me since our parents died eleven years ago, he sometimes forgets that I'm not like his girlie-girl girlfriends. I take a deep breath and rip the paper off. 

        Under the paper is a small wooden box with a glass panel in the lid. Looking through the glass I see the most beautiful necklace I have ever laid eyes on in the centuries I have seen through the eyes of my past lives. I quickly open the box and take out the necklace. 

        It is a white gold chain chocker. Three rows of chains connected to the clasps. These chains hold a black onyx oval set in white gold. I am totally speechless. 

        “I knew you would like it.” Vik puts his arms around my shoulders. I hand him the necklace and he puts it around my throat. It is a perfect fit. “Turn around, let me see.” 

        He backs up and leans against the wall. I stand and turn. His eyes get slightly bigger and Syree hissed a gasp. 

        “What?” I quickly take the necklace off at look at it again. The black onyx isn't black anymore. A green ball with a red paw print inside and yellow wings coming out of the top and blue fins coming out of the bottom. “This is the Mark of the Balance.” 

        “Yes. I spelled the onyx to show what element you are closest to.” 

        “You what! I told you I can't pick just one of them!” I turn on my heel and put the necklace on as I walk away. Vik puts his hand on my arm to stop me. 

        “Mimerain, I had to make sure.” He pulls me against him for a hug. “Plus, now we know how special you really are. No Balance has been so connected to all four since the very first.” 

        “You could have told me, ya know,” I half-heartedly snap. I can't stay mad at him when he gets all huggie. His clam aura washes over me and I instantly feel better. “I would have went with it.” 

        “But then I wouldn't have been able to surprise you, now would I?” 

        “I guess.” I turn around and hug him back. I pull back and grap my white school bag. “I gotta get to school.” 

        “Please don't start a fight like you did last year.” 

        “Vikirnoff, I did not start that fight! She hit first. I was only defending myself,” I huff as I walk toward the front room. 

        “Just try, okay?” 

        “Fine. Bye-bye!” I go out the door and head for school.



© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Have fun!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the names! And I want one of those necklaces! haha!
-Brie

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
1 Review
Added on February 13, 2008
Last Updated on August 7, 2008


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing