Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

     The next two weeks fly by. Every weekday we go to school, spend our afternoons together, and Markus slips in my window after Vik goes to bed. On the weekends, we spend all day just lazing about at my house, the park, and the beach a few miles outside of town.

     This Saturday is different. It is Markus' grandmother Angela's seventy-fourth birthday. Angela is renowned for her hatred of Adepts. Markus wanted to take me anyway, but I told him that I would be okay. It took me three hours to get him to agree to go without me. I told him I was going to babysit a Council Member's triplet daughters during the meeting that night, anyway, so I couldn't go.

     After spending three hours playing patty cake and card games with the triplets, I start the half hour walk back home. It is dark out, around eleven at night. After a few minutes, I sense someone following me. Three someones, in fact. I also knew they were up to no good.

     I change my course, heading into the darker parts of the city's streets. They follow, thinking they are in luck. Their luck, however, is not with them at all. I'll teach them not to prey on young women.

     I find a dead end deep in the maze of allies and back streets. I stand, facing the wall, and listen to their drunken approach. They stumble toward me.

     “What a pretty 'un,” one says.

     “Yea,” says another.

     “Lots a fun,” laughs the third.

     I turn slowly to face them. They stop in their tracks and the blood drains from their faces. An menacing smile crosses my face. “Oh, yes, lots of fun.”

 

* * *

 

     Sunday afternoon, after a breakfast late enough to be lunch, Mim and I were spread out on the couch in the living room, watching afternoon cartoons. Nothing else was on. In the middle of the Spongebob FUN song, a news bulletin interrupts the show.

     Three rapists who had been at large were now in custody, according to the news reporter. They had been found hanging from the Great Fountain's dolphin's tail. They had been beaten soundly but had no broken bones. They were going to court and the cases were open-and-shut. They are expected to get the death penalty. The bulletin went back to Spongebob Squarepants.

     “Serves them right,” Mim said with a huff. “They should know better.”

     “Yup.” He pulls her closer and kisses her cheek. “I'm glad you got home okay last night.”

     “Why would I not be?” Mim laughs and kisses him on his cheek. “I'm a tough little girlie.”

     Markus laughs and snuggles closer. They continue watching cartoons and snaking on chips and soda. A while later, Vik finds them there, fast asleep. He gets a thin blanket and covers them up. He leaves with a big smile on his face.



© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Enjoy!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha she's strong,that's good
those meanies deserved being beaten =P

Posted 15 Years Ago


AH!!!!! Again, i must insist on how sweet this is. I'm a little scared of Mim's evil side though. She just might beat Zira. But we'll see about that. haha.
-Brie

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 27, 2008
Last Updated on April 2, 2008


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing