Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

     The four children are playing in the field. The black shirted boy is teaching the ponytail girl how to weave a flower crown. The white shirted boy and the pigtail girl are a long way away, watching and talking quietly under their breaths.

     “She looks so happy,” whispers the boy. He sees the pigtail girl's eyes water as she watches her twin laugh and smile with the other boy. “What is wrong?”

     “I have waited so long for her to find her happiness.” Teas spill down her cheeks and the boy with her pulls her into his arms. “So very long. I am so happy!”

 

* * *

 

     “Come on, Mim,” Markus begs. Seeing this isn't working, he changes tactics. “What? Are you afraid of my family?”

     The answer popped out of my mouth before I could stop it and I know fear covers my face. “Yes.”

     Markus leads me into a nearby ally where there are less people to watch us and pulls me into his arms. His hands rubs my back, trying to comfort me. I bury my face in the shirt covering his chest.

     “Oh, love,” Markus whispers in my ear. I feel better now but don't want him to let me go. “Why are you scared of them?”

     I think for a moment. “I am afraid they'll say we can't be together. That they'll hate me. That they'll hate you.”

     “Now, dear, that is silly.” Markus pulls me back just enough to meet my eyes. “They can't do any of that. You are my mate; there will be no other for either of us. We are already bonded closely. If nothing else, they will like you for making me happy and whole. They can't hate me or you, I'm going to be the one of the Royal Dragons and you will be a Royal Unicorn whither they like it or not.”

     I can feel reassurance wash over me and I close my eyes, letting the feeling settle in me. He rests his forehead against mine. I say softly, “I know all that. I'm just being silly.”

     His head lifts and his hands tighten on my back. I feel him stiffen, as if he is trying to control himself. I open my eyes and see the tightly controlled fury in him.

     “What's wrong?” I frame his face in my hands and lean against him. “Why are you mad?”

     “I'm sorry. You are afraid and I want to make you feel happy and safe and my own family is preventing that.” I can feel his helpless anger. Dragons can't stand being helpless, not a single one of them. It is my turn to comfort him. There is only one way I can think of to do it.

     I stand on tiptoe, pull his head down a little, and kiss him. It is only a small kiss, a brief touch of lips, by I feel it down to my toes and my eyes flutter shut. I feel the anger drain from him and know it has worked. I can't help but smile against his mouth.

     “What's so funny?” He doesn't pull back, just holds me tight. “Why are you smiling?”

     “Nothing.” I laugh and pull back. His pouts at me like I've taken his favorite candy away.

     “Don't go. We can do that longer,” he says, burying his hand in my hair while the other settles on my lower back.

     “We can if you want Vik to wonder why we aren't home from school and come looking for us.”

     “Well, come on! We can't keep your brother waiting!” He takes my hand and we hurry to my house.



© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Smile and enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I did smile! I did enjoy it! It's great! I'm wondering where the side-scene at the top is going though.... ooo I hope we find out!
-Brie

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 2, 2008
Last Updated on April 2, 2008


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing