Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

     The ponytail girl and the boy in black sat together, bent over a string of flowers. The girl finally, after many failed attempts, tied the two ends together to make a ring. She jumped up and danced around the boy, excited beyond measure. He watched her with a huge grin in his face.

     The girl stopped dancing and looked around for her twin. She wanted to show her accomplishment to Unra, but the girl in pigtails was nowhere to be seen.

     Panic settled in Myra’s heart when she could not find her twin or the boy that was always with her.

 

* * *

 

     The Monday after the Light User’s Party I come downstairs from my room to find Vik pacing in the kitchen and Syree on the table, reading something in front of her. I am instantly on alert. Vik never paces unless there is something wrong. Really wrong.

     “Vik, what’s wrong?” I ask as I walk into the kitchen.

     Syree gestures with her head to the paper before her. “Lee’s report came this morning.”

     I rush to the table and pick up the letter. Lee is an Air Adept who lives in the only mountain range in the huge island-country I live in. I quickly read the letter.

     “Dark One attacks in the mountains? Dark Ones don’t attack Adepts. Their problem is with Light Users. Why are they attacking us?” I ask the Four aloud.

     “They probably know you’re a Unicorn,” Aqura says. “You being a Unicorn changes our standing with them.”

     “Yes. Tactical maneuver,” Lyrena muses. “Lure you away from the capital city and your greatest protectors, making you an easy mark.”

     “Easy mark, my a*s,” Feu says in a soft, deadly voice.

     I shake my head and look at Vik. “They think it is a ploy to get me out of the city so I’m easier to kill.”

     The snake equivalent of a snort sounds from Syree. “You are no easy kill, Lady Balance.”

     “I know,” I say, nodding. “I have to go resolve this. I can’t leave the Adepts under Lee’s watch to fight them off alone.”

     Vik shakes his head. “You can’t leave Markus. What will you tell him? ‘I’m the Balance of Powers you think died three hundred years ago and I’ve Adepts to save. See you in a few months.’ You can’t do that.”

     I sit at the table and put my head in my hands. I try to think of a way to fix my current problem. I can’t leave Markus, but I can’t take him with me without telling him I’m the Balance and I can’t tell him that. Most of all, I can’t leave my people to the mercy of the Dark Ones. I sigh and rub my face with my hands.

     “I’ll go.” I look up at Vik.

     “You can’t go! You’re the Council Leader! You can’t leave the other Lords here alone! They’ll rip each other apart!”

     “You can act as a Temporary Leader. The Lords love you and won’t mind a bit. You can make them behave. And Markus can stop sneaking in your window every night.”

     I jump and stare at him in surprise. “You know Markus has been sleeping here?”

     Vik nods. “Syree smelled him on you and your bed. I went into your room late one night to see for myself. You two looked so cute and peaceful I didn’t want to bother you. Besides, Syree would know if you two were having sex. She would smell it.”

     “My sense of smell is magnificent,” Syree boasts.

     My face turns beet red and I stare at my hands, unable to look either of them in the eye.

     “Also,” Vik continues, “I can see Tina.” Tina is a girl Vik has been dating on and off for several years now. Sometimes I wonder why they don’t get married. They act like a married couple anyway.

     I get up and head for the door, my backpack in one hand. “I’m off to school now,” I say quickly.

     Big hands grab me from behind, spin my around, and pull me into a hug. Vik rests his cheek on top of my head and says, “I’m sorry, sweetie. I should have said something before. I’m not spying on you. Markus is a good boy and I trust you both. I would like to ask Markus to stay here while I'm gone. I'm sorry is I hurt or embarrassed you, hon. Could you ever forgive me?”

     “Yes.” I hug him back. “You really don't care if Markus stays here while you're gone?”

     “I don't mind him staying here while I'm here. I'll tell him this afternoon that he can pack up his stuff and move in.”

    “Really?!?” I squeak in excitement. “Oh, Vik!!! You are my favorite brother EVER!!!” I kiss him on the cheek and skip to the door.

     “Don't give it away!” Vik calls after me. “I want to surprise him!”

     “Okay!” I yell over my shoulder as I go out the door.

 

* * *

 

     Markus sits in the kitchen, more than a little worried. Vik had said he wanted to talk to him and Markus guesses from his tone that it is serious.

     Vik sits across from him at the table. A tea tray is between them and Vik has just poured himself a cup. After taking a slow sip, the older man says, “I'm heading to the Heart Mountains. I'm due to leave early Friday.”

     Markus nods slowly. He is surprised that the Council Leader would leave his post so suddenly. “Why are you leaving?”

     “The Dark Ones are attacking the Adept communities there. They must know Mim is your Unicorn and are trying to get to her through her people.”

     “If that's true, then you can't leave her here alone. And whose going to cover for you as Council Leader?”

     “Mim is covering for me. She has been acting as my right hand for years and the Lords love her.” Vik takes another drink.

     Markus' mind races. “She could come stay at my grandparents' manor. We've plenty of room.”

     “Nope. That would be too easy for the Dark Ones. Seven Balances lived here before Malin's death and all the Council Leaders ever have lived here as well. There are enough terrifying safeguards on this place to wipe out nine or ten armies of Dark Ones and Renegades and still hold strong.”

     That boggles his mind. This house is that old? “So, you're leaving her here alone?”

     “No.” Vik sets his cup down. “I know you've been sleeping with my sister.”

     Markus' mind goes blank in panic. Earth Adepts aren't renowned for their tempers, but they are known for being vengeful. What torture would Vik put Markus through now that the older man knows about his new sleeping habits.

     The Vik laughed. “That was priceless! Absolutely priceless! You should have seen your face!”

     “What? What do you mean?”

     “I don't mind that you and Mim are cuddle-buddies. I have a couple of my own. I trust you and Mim so I don't worry. Besides, it is a Light User thing.”

     “Then you're okay with it?” Markus asks, amazed.

     “Yup. I want you to move in, in fact.” Vik smiles warmly. “I want you settled by Wednesday. Now you don't have to sneak in Mim's window and you can keep her company here.”

     “Really?”

     “Yes.” Vik's expression changes. “Mim isn't mine. Mim belongs to no one but herself. No one can control her. She is a law onto herself. She decides wither to listen or ignore. There are only a few who she chooses to pay attention to. You are now one of those few. If she didn't want you, you wouldn't be here. I will not go against her wishes.”

     “But you're the Council Leader. You are the most powerful Adept alive.”

     Vik smiles wearily. “Am I?” He raises from the table and left.

     Mim finds him there. She sees the look in his eyes before he smiles at her. That thoughtful, far-away look scares her.



© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmmmm What exactly was that little hint at the end? HAHAHAHA Vik is terrible sometimes lol. A few spelling mistakes but besides that it was great...More please?

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like Vik haha
He can be scary and weird
I'll be waiting for the next chapter of this story ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


oooooooo! cuddle-buddies, i love that! aww! so sweet! now they are together always!!
what was with the hint hint at the end?.....
MORE!!
-Brie

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2008


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing