Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Burr the Story Sorceress

        I walk in my front door a little after dark. Markus and I had a wonderful time wondering around the city. We had chatted and laughed the whole afternoon and I can't remember the last time I had had so much fun with anyone but Vik. I walk into the living room and see Vik sitting on the couch watching the news.

        “Hi, Vik!” I bounce over to him. “I had the best afternoon! We went to the library and got shushed for laughing and we went to the arcade and, and,” I stop talking as I get a good look at my older brother's face. “What's wrong?” 

        He is quiet for a long time, then says, “I don't want you to see that boy. It is too dangerous.” 

        “Dangerous!” I squeak. “Markus wouldn't do anything to hurt me!” 

        “How do you know that? The Four must now agree with this either. He could find out that you are the Balance! How do you know that the other Royals may think the Balance still lives and that Markus was sent to find out who it is?” 

        I go cold inside. “You over step your place, Vikirnoff.” It is the Balance that speaks, not Mim. “I see no ill will from Markus and the Four agree with me. As it is, I could no more stay away from him than you could from Syree.” 

        Vik slips off the couch and kneels before me. He knows that he is no longer talking to his baby sister, but his queen. “How do you know, Lady? I am concerned.” 

        “I know you are, but it is not a concern. I am his Unicorn, harm to me is harm to him.” 

        Vik jumps and looks up, startled. “What? But the Balance can't be a Unicorn!” 

        “Adepts can't be Light Users. No one knows if the same rules that bind Adepts bind me as well. We do not know how it happened, but the bond has already started to form. It can't be stopped.” 

        “I am sorry, Lady. I didn't know. I was worried.” He bends his head in apology. 

        “It's okay, I forgive you.” I reach down and out his face in my hands. I smile. “I'm sorry I got all regal again. It was upsetting to hear you say that.” 

        “I'm sorry, little sister.” Vik gives me a hug. “How about some ice cream and you can tell me about your day?” 

 

 

        Markus paces along the balcony a pair of glass double doors in his suite opens to. He is edgy and restless and he knew why. New paired Light Users never left each other sides, even at night. From the time of the first realization, they are never separated. 

        But Markus can't stay with Mim. His customs are not her's. Her brother would never allow it. His pacing gets more aggressive at the thought. Dragons are not meek creatures and have a tendency to be violent when crossed. The Dragon in Markus roared, angry that it is being denied it's mate. 

        “Why in the name of the Sun can't I be with my mate!” he growls. 

        “Your going to pace a line in the marble,” an airy voice teases. 

        Markus spins toward the balcony rail. Sitting on it, swinging her legs cheerily, was a girl dressed in yellow. A baggy shirt with sleeves long enough to completely cover her hands is like a short dress. The short shorts she wares are mostly hidden by it. Her socks go up to just below her knee cap and her shoes are bulky and round. Her hair is tucked away in her winged beanie-style hat. Two long strands of blond hair are loose of the hat and frame her slim face. She smiles brightly at him. 

        “How did you get here?” Markus snaps. He is not in the mood for dealing with a hyper active thief. 

        “I flew.” She spreads her arms wide as if she was a brid gliding on a breeze. “I was headin' for a rave downtown on the beach and couldn't help but hear about ya prob. You're the Dragon noob, yea?” 

        “What?” he asks, confused. 

        She laughs. “Markus, the Dragon fresh from a far away place.” 

        “Yes.” 

        “Good.” She jumps off the rail and lands a few feet in front of him. She is barely taller than his elbow. “I got a tid-bit of info you'd like oodles. You wanna know what?” She crocks her head to the side and watches him. 

        “Who are you?” 

        “I'm Wina. That's me. Me and Mimer are tight.” She holds up her right hand. Her index and middle finger are twined together. “Like, this tight!” 

        “What do you know?” 

        “Mimer's bed is pushed in a corner of her room. Half way down the longer end is a window. Mimer keeps it open at night for some reason I don't know.” As Wina talks, her hands move around like leaves in a breeze. “The window opens to the roof of the back porch. The alarm spell and such won't attack you and Vikir is asleep by ten P.M.” 

        Markus looks at her, shocked and confused. “Why are you telling me?” 

        She shrugs. “I don't give a wit what you do with the info. I thought you would like to know.” She looks up at the sky and grins. “Well, time to par-ty!!” 

        “Wait!” Markus reaches to grab her arm, but Wina is too fast. She skips backwards, then does a back flip over the rail. On the back of her neck,Markus thought he saw a pair of yellow wings. She disappears over the edge of the balcony. He runs to the rail and looks over, but there is no sign of the strange yellow girl. 

        Markus thinks for a moment, then runs with all his might over the roof tops to his mate's side.

 

 

       Wina climbs in Mim's window and lays on the bed. She changes from the yellow bird version to the real thing. Their plan is in motion. The Four were going to test Markus. If he wants Mimerain, he has to be worthy by their standards.

       Mim sleeps on, unaware of what the Four have in store.



© 2008 Burr the Story Sorceress


Author's Note

Burr the Story Sorceress
Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

those four are c-ra-zy!! haha but i like them ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


Haha! The end was nice! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
-Brie

Posted 16 Years Ago


i like!

Posted 16 Years Ago


O.o a test :) nice

keep up the good work

-Aaron

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2008
Last Updated on March 18, 2008


Author

Burr the Story Sorceress
Burr the Story Sorceress

A Really Cold Place, OH



About
I am a kinda loud person who is very blunt. I tend to talk before I think. I go with the flow, most of the time. When I get excited, my stutter comes back with a vengence. I do the best I can and that.. more..

Writing