Chapter 4: Side Character

Chapter 4: Side Character

A Chapter by Jack Rock
"

Jack learns what it means to be a side character

"

            A lot happened last night, I was discovered, and I made a promise. Before she let me go, she gave me her number, because that’s what friends do, she said. It is a problem that I got discovered though, we are supposed to watch in secret, in the shadows of the story. As long as the reason why I’m here isn’t revealed, it should be fine. Tom have made a few exceptions before in the past, I just got to be careful from now on.

            I’m standing outside Emily’s house at 6:43 in the morning. I got a text from her earlier on that I should walk with her to school, I texted back ok, not that I moved much after last night. Thinking back on the promise, I don’t know what being a friend means. I mean, I’ve seen many MC’s having people supporting them all the way, and being called their friend, buts that’s I all really know. I guess I need to learn many more things before I can become a pro. I did start a couple years ago. I heard footsteps behind me, and Emily popped up before me, “Ready to go Jack?” There’s so much more I need to learn.

            Emily bombarded me with questions about myself, I try to be as vague as possible, but she isn’t giving up. “Are you asking all these questions because you can’t read my memories?” Emily answered me yes. “What are you hoping to gain out of it?” Emily put her head down and told me, “Is it so wrong to learn about you?” I was taken back by that question, “No, its not wrong, just don’t force the other person to answer everything at once. It gets annoying.”  My phone went off, I check to see who it was, Tom was calling me, this is bad. “Hey Emily, I got to take this, I’ll see you at school.” Emily was surprised, “Ok Jack, I’ll see you later.” I ran off ahead to find a spot to use this key.

            I went to an empty alley where no one can see me and pulled out the key. I twisted it in the air for a door to appear. Going through the door, I’m back at my home in the pocket dimension. I missed the call for Tom, I called him back and he picked up this time, “What did you do Jack?” He sounds pissed, I think he already found out what I did, “Nothing Tom, everything is going well here.” I gulped to prepare for the worst, “Jack you should know by now that when I ask a question, I already know the answer to it. You got discovered didn’t you.”

            “Yes, it was going to happen anyway.” I told him everything, from how I was discovered, and how Emily became aware of me, I even told him the promise I kept to her. Tom is my supervisor, but he always looks out for me and acts in a bad situation, he’s a good person, he just worries a lot. “I understand, you’re in a tough spot but I think you can work through it, you just simply become the side character.”

            Tom told me everything about being the side character. It sounds difficult to be one, but I did get a head start in it with that promise I made. “Don’t get to involved in the story, or you’ll become a main character, after that I can’t help you anymore.” “Wait, there can be more than one main character? How is that even possible.” Tom continues to tell me, “Its defiantly possible, I seen as many as three.” What can I do without Tom, I need to get him a thank-you gift after this. “Well, what would happen if I do become an MC?” Tom sighs and told me.

“Being a main character can cause a ripple in the story and two things can happen. In one scenario, the story will accept you as a main character and the story can no longer exist without you in it. I’ll have to cut ties with you and search for a new guy, and you can never come back to Kage.” That scenario alone makes me terrified of becoming the main character. “The second scenario that can happen is the story kicking you out, possibly erasing you from existence, but most likely the first one will happen.” This is a lot to take in, but I think I got it all. Still holding myself together I tell Tom, “Thank you for the info as always, I won’t become an MC. I like my job and I don’t want to give it up.” Tom seems relieve on the phone, “That’s good to hear Jack, call me if you have anymore troubles.” I said my byes on the phone and turned it off, heading back to the school.

I found myself in a school closet when I got back, making sure I wasn’t spouted coming out of the room. The school hallway seems empty, I checked the clock on my phone, 9:21am. I ran as fast as I could to my classroom, just how long I was talking to Tom? I complete forgot about my duties of being an average school student, and I better come up with an excuse. I found the classroom, I looked inside to see the teacher lecturing. I slowly opened the door, making as little noise as possible, closing it behind me, I sneak quietly to my desk, luckily its in the back I won’t be seen by anyone “Hi Jack!” I jumped to that greeting, finding all the students and teacher starring back at me, I see Lilly giving me a nasty grin on her face, what did I do to deserve this?




© 2019 Jack Rock


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on January 18, 2019
Last Updated on January 18, 2019


Author

Jack Rock
Jack Rock

About
I'm going to dump all my ideas down, its up to you if you like it or not, Don't expect to much from me. more..

Writing