October 10

October 10

A Chapter by Brittni
"

9th Éntry

"

It's official. I'm so sick. I don't even know what I did to get sick. All I remember was coming home from my night with Jonathan yesterday and went to continue my 12 hour shift like usual. I went through my night like usual until the last half of my shift when I started to feel a little out of it. I wasn't the only one who notice that I was behaving a little off.

 

"Harleen, you look like you not only saw a ghost, but that you lost a fight to him as well." Wanda said as her usual maternal instincts began to take over. I could help but smile meekly and shrug my shoulders in a half-hearted manner. I figured I just needed some sleep, so I took a break and went into an empty room to take a small nap. I don't know how long I slept for but the next thing I knew, I had Dr. Montgomery pressing a hand to my cheek as he spoke on the phone. From the tone of his voice, I could tell that he was truly concerned about something. I let my heavy eyelids droop close yet again. The next time I opened them I saw Kristy walking in all dressed up looking like she had just came from a reading at Mugseys. As I squinted in the bright light that filled the room instantly, I could make out the dark grey skirt and sweatshirt jacket outfit I bought her for her birthday. The one with the black fur tirm and the boots to match. I remember I got so jealous until Jonathan bought me a matching outfit for some sort of occassion. I think I tried to smile at her as the two of them tried to lift me up and help me out to the car. Dr. Montgomery had to answer a call, so he left Kristy to struggle with me to the car.

 

 "Oh wow Harl. When did you become so awkward?" she groaned as she tugged me along the parking lot like I was in some sort of drunken stupor. As we passed a streetlight, I made out two shadows coming towards us. One of the figures was small, elegant and petite while the larger frame was burly, but had surprisingly graceful movements. The voice the piped up put me oddly at ease.

 

"Kristy, is everything ok?" came out the voice of Professor Isley. I felt Kristy nod her head as she struggled to balance me. She managed to get me to the right side of her arm and shoulder, but barely was able to hold on.

 

"I'm fine, just Harley's sick and I'm having a hard time getting her to the car." Kristy explained as the sounds all around me began to slowly fade away like a dream and I entered a realm of weightlessness. As I traveled deeper into the realm, I began to float towards the inky black starlit blanket that covered Gotham. Without warning I felt myself being dropped hard onto a very cold and equally hard surface. As soon as my back touched the surface, everything went completely dark and silent.

 

I don't remember how much time had passed. When I opened my eyes, I was able to make out a faint beeping sound. As the sound progressed it became louder, more shrill and frantic. Along with the beeping I heard voices talking in whispers. As if a flood gate had opened, everything came rushing back to me. I let out a puppy-like yelp and was surrounded by people. I started to open my eyes as I recognized Dr. Montgomery, Kristy, Dr. Isley, and a man who's picture I had seen in the paper so many times. It was as if I knew everything about this man and what I wanted to say the moment I had a chance to meet him, but the meeting I had envisioned was so different. He smiled at me, a warm and kind smile that showed genuine concern as well as the dimples in his tan cheeks. When he spoke his voice was like smooth silk over a gravel path.

 

"Pamela has told me all about you. One of her best students. One of the smartest and most ambitious in your class as well." He said as he continued to wear his smile and held out his hand to me. I reached out, took it, and shook it with as much confidence as I could muster in my present condition.

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Dent." I said with my own smile mirroring his. In that handshake, I had a feeling that this man can either be a potential ally or an equally potential villian...I hope I don't find out.



© 2011 Brittni


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome! You worded everything so well and kept my attention from beginning to end.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Absolutely fantastic, love! I'm completely exhausted right now but I couldn't stop reading. I love the way you write, you have this way of reaching out and pulling your readers into the story. Definitely amazing! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 18, 2010
Last Updated on May 25, 2011


Author

Brittni
Brittni

New Castle, PA



About
I'm 23 years old and I've always found the most comfort in my writing because I feel like everyday, you need a change. You feel a need to be someone different and writing is a chance to be someone els.. more..

Writing
No Surprise No Surprise

A Poem by Brittni


The First Week The First Week

A Chapter by Brittni