December 11

December 11

A Chapter by Brittni

I woke early with a start. Not because the alarm roused me, or because Kristy kicked me in the middle of her dream. I looked out the window just in time to see a flash of lightining blast, only to have the thunder bellow a nanosecond later. Today was the day where I stare down my destiny. I climbed of bed making sure I didn't disturb Kristy, showered, dressed and made some breakfast. For some reason though, which I am going to attribute to my nerves, my food felt like gravel being mixed in my mouth and dropping like hard misformed chunks into my stomach. I cleaned up then went to check on Kristy, who was still snoring away in my bed. Since we ended up breaking her bed, thanks to a desire to act like children jumping on the bed, I have been letting her sleep in mine while hers is being repaired. She has also been a little down lately because she caught Brendan messing around with some blonde chick. No clue of her name, but it doesn't matter. Both she and Brendan were in my target range. I walked over to Kristy, and like I have done now for so long, gave her a kiss on her cheek. I can't say why we do that, but it was always a comfort to the other. Without any more hesitation, I took my umbrella from the corner of the room, my keys from the dresser and was on my way to Arkham.

 

I drove slower than usual not only because of the bad weather, but to continue to stiffle the nerves and my stomach. Sure enough, when I pulled up and saw Jonathan waiting for me at the gate all my nerves flew away. When we had parked we walked up to the door and immediately we were buzzed in. As soon as I was in, the loud metal doors snapped quickly shut behind me. I almost reached out for Johnathan's hand, but I quickly jerked it back. Now is not the time to look unprofessional. Next we were patted down by two very muscular and very serious looking guards. They nodded their heads and handed us visitors badges. Only after stepping through numerous metal detectors did we finally meet Dr. Joan Leland. She was a stern-faced woman in her late forties with jet black hair coming to her shoulders. When she spoke, her tone conveyed a no-nonsense personality. Then again, when dealing with characters such as these one does need to be serious.

 

"Dr. Crane and Miss Quinzel I presume. Welcome to Arkham Asylum." She held out her hand to Johnathan and he shook it firmly. She reached out for me and I met her hand halfway.

 

"Hi Doctor Leland. Call me Harley, everyone does." I say in my most professional voice, trying to eliminate that little squeak Kristy and Johnathan tell me that I have whenever I am nevous about something. Without another word we began walking along the halls in silence. I dare to look around and the first thing I saw were these rooms that looked as though they were barred off. Not quite like a prision cell, but where as the whole door would be metal bars, there doors were re-inforced solid steel with a barred window just big enough for their faces.

 

"These are normal security prisioners. Basically your white collar criminals and serial petty offenders. You know, armed robbery, assault, etc. I am curious though, why did you allow her to come Dr. Crane?" Dr. Leland asked as Johnathan cleared his throat.

 

"She has talked about, from the time I first met her, wanting to be a doctor here in Arkham. I think she can handle it. I have no doubt in her abilities." Johnathan said and I felt my heart swell, but at the same time it made me wonder if he truly meant it. After what felt like hours later, the three of us came across a think glass door surrounded by security guards. Labeled in bright red letters were the words "Maximum Security". Usually these words would scare someone right out of their pants, but not me. Johnathan at this point looked very uncomfortable so I decided to speak up.

 

"Dr. Crane, if you would be so kind, I think I would want to go down this wing with Dr. Leland. That is, if it is ok with you." I tell him and quickly I managed to catch a look of relief in his eyes.

 

"That is fine with me Miss Quinzel. I will be right here when you return." He said and nodded to Dr. Leland. Again, just like before we quickly crossed the threshold into the maximum security wing. As soon as we were out of earshot with the guards, the questions started.

 

"So, why do you want to intern here at Arkham?" Dr. Leland asked me. For a moment I thought about all the different kind of answers I could give her, in the end though I decided that this woman has been doing this longer than I have been alive, so I a m going to answer honestly and openly.

 

"I have always had a thing for extreme personalities. Also, you can't deny the element of fame and glamour to them." Right then and there she stopped and turned to me. Nect thing I knew there was a finger in my face. I knew then and there she was pissed. My mom used to do the same thing to me.

 

"Let me tell you something right now. These are hardcore psychotics. Most of them will kill you or eat you alive within the blink of an eye. Some of them may even enjoy it." I think she continued on, but I was lured away by the sound of whistling. It wasn't a tune I knew from anywhere but it drew me in none the less. It was then and there I saw him face to face. Well, face to shadow. But his eyes stared at me through the darkness of his cell, then came the smile. It wasn't quite evil, but more all-knowing like the Chesire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

 

"Come Miss Quinzel, we have.." Dr. Leland didn't get to finish her sentence as next came the sound of blaring alarms and lights flashing everywhere. "CODE RED VICTOR TZAZ, CODE RED VICTOR TZAZ!" I usually NEVER stop to question a Code Red ANYWHERE, but as I turn my head to talk to Dr. Leland, she was gone and I felt a sharp pain radiating through my arm. I turned my head and I saw him. They said he killed twenty-one women, including a former Arkham doctor. He made tally marks into his skin, similiar to how other killers would collect trophies from their victims. I try hard at this point to wrench myself free. At this point I began to feel more sharp pains all over my body and I realize I was being stabbed. In that struggle I looked up at Tzaz, knowing he was ready to finish the job. I closed my eyes, waiting for the inevitable end. Instead I felt two very strong and very cold arms slide underneath my body and lift me up. I opened my eyes, but the lights were so bright I couldn't see. I felt something soft under my back. I tried not to move much because I was unaware of how badly Tzaz had hurt me, or who had me. I closed my eyes again and began to whimper slightly, like an injured puppy. After a few more minutes I opened my eyes and turned my head to see that the smoke from some of the pipes Tzaz had cut was clearing and two guards burst into the room I was in.

 

"Jesus Christ." The one uttered as he looked at me while the other one ran outside to flag down the others.

 

"SHE'S HERE, SHE'S IN THE JOKERS CELL!" The guard who was in the cell with me lifted me up while the other one secured the Joker, who was only sitting there in his shadow minding his own business.

 

"You're going to be ok. We are going to get you out of this hell hole Doctor." I turned my face to read his badge and smiled. Johnathan had told me about him before. He was tough as nails, but he had an underlying compassion to him. I was laid down on a stretcher as Dr. Leland ran over to me to see if I was okay. I tried to smile as I reached out and squeezed her hand.

 

"Tell Cash and Joker I said Thank you." I whispered before the room went black once more.



© 2012 Brittni


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love it and I think it was perfect with only two problems. But I already told you that. This is a great story and I'm loving how the joker was just sitting there. "what? Me? Now why would I save a doctor? " lol srry I thought that was what he would have said.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love it and I think it was perfect with only two problems. But I already told you that. This is a great story and I'm loving how the joker was just sitting there. "what? Me? Now why would I save a doctor? " lol srry I thought that was what he would have said.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love love love. Keep it up please!! It's an amazing chapter and story!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 15, 2012
Last Updated on May 22, 2012


Author

Brittni
Brittni

New Castle, PA



About
I'm 23 years old and I've always found the most comfort in my writing because I feel like everyday, you need a change. You feel a need to be someone different and writing is a chance to be someone els.. more..

Writing
No Surprise No Surprise

A Poem by Brittni


The First Week The First Week

A Chapter by Brittni