October 23

October 23

A Chapter by Brittni
"

Chapter 11

"

Sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you. There has just been so much going on for me, but mainly, the whole "his wife wanting to take me in as a maid." Seriously? That is something that I would never consider doing. I mean, I am a doctor NOT a house keeper. To top it all off, Jonathan will not even look at me which is totally pissing me off. He won't call on me to answer questions in class, in fact when he sees me walking down the hallway and I would try to talk to him, he puts on a show pulling his phone out of his pocket and "says he's talking to someone." Not only is it making me angry, but it hurts.

 

I turned my head out the window and smiled at the sky. The sun was just now setting, turning the campus orange, blue, and slightly pink. It was on nights like this that I would think back to how we first met. It was my freshman year at GCU. It was a beautiful and bright September afternoon. I had finished my classes and now I was sitting underneath the large oak tree with Mozart blaring in my ears and a thick volume of Poe in my hands. I allowed my senses around me to shut off when I'm enwrapped in a world of creative darkness. However, it made me totally oblivious to my surroundings. Quickly, a dark shadow crossed in front of me and was blocking my reading sunlight. I waited patiently for a few moments hoping that he would move on his own, but he kept his feet firmly planted. I was beginning to get very annoyed because I thought it was some sort of dumbass frat boy. I pulled my earbuds out of my ears and turned around.

 

"Hey jerk-off move your a*s!" I yelled as I began to look up and see that it wasn't some gorilla frat guy, but my new professor. I began to blush as I muttered an apology and began to walk away. "Miss Quinzel,my office now." he said very calmly as I slumped forward, my head hanging as I followed him into the building to his office. As soon as he led me into his office I finally looked up and around. What instantly struck out to me was the hundreds of books, not just cheap paperbacks but real and true leather-bound books. I look at the name plate on his desk which read "Professor Jonathan Crane." my eyes kept wandering around until I heard a firm yet calm voice.

 

"Sit down please." Professor Crane said as he motioned to a dark red leather chair. I sat down as he took his place behind his desk. He seemed younger, but wiser in the eyes. I could tell by the way he had wrinkles around his eyes. It was very similar to my mothers. After a moment he smiled politely. "It was many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea. That a maiden there lived whom you may know by the name of Annabel Lee." after that he paused and looked at me as if wanting me to continue the hauntingly beautiful poem of Annabel Lee. I felt a smile curling on my lips as I recited the next lines perfectly.

 

"And this maiden she lived with no other thought than to love and be loved by me. I was a child and she was a child in this kingdom by the sea, but we love with a love that was more than love. I and my Annabel Lee." I let the name sink into the silence for a moment as he smiled and peered at me.

 

"You're not half bad. Pretty and intelligent. Harleen Quinzel." Professor Crane explained to me with a small smile as his face grew serious. "Now Miss Quinzel, Art major, gymnastics scholarship. Graduated from Gotham City High School twenty-fifth in your class. Average grades. Excelling however in gymnastics. How is that possible?" Crane asked me yet keeping that gentle inquiring tone that didn't make him sound superior, instead he sounded like a guy I would gab with at Mugseys.

 

"Well, it was one of the few things I have in my life that makes me happy. Along with a good book of course. I mean don't get me wrong that I'm not smart, but I feel better if I'm physically active." I went on to explain only to find out that I was rambling. I casually drifted off and looked back up at him. He was still smiling as he observed me. I just stared at his eyes and realized that I wanted to be lost in them. I felt happy as we began to talk and talk. The next thing I knew my phone was going off. I checked it to see that it was my alarm, which was set to ring at 9:30 p.m. I started to laugh as I looked back at him.

 

"Well Professor it has been a pleasure but I must turn in for the night. Perhaps I'll see you again soon." I told him as I gathered my things while he held his office door open for me as he watched me leave. "I'm positive of it Miss Quinzel." and with a soft click, the door to his office shut.



© 2011 Brittni


Author's Note

Brittni
I do not own the poem "Annabel Lee" it was written by a great writer Edgar Allen Poe may he rest in peace. Edit in Progress (5/31)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was sweet. :) I liked how you described their first meeting, it was really good. And I liked the use of the Edgar Allan Poe poem, it fit in really well.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
1 Review
Added on November 23, 2010
Last Updated on June 1, 2011


Author

Brittni
Brittni

New Castle, PA



About
I'm 23 years old and I've always found the most comfort in my writing because I feel like everyday, you need a change. You feel a need to be someone different and writing is a chance to be someone els.. more..

Writing
No Surprise No Surprise

A Poem by Brittni


The First Week The First Week

A Chapter by Brittni