November 19

November 19

A Chapter by Brittni
"

Harley catches first glance at her destiny..

"

We have been under quarantine now for exactly one week, three hours and seventeen minutes. Through the modern day cellular technology, Kristy and I managed to keep in touch with several of our classmates, with the exception of Jonathan of course. I figure he is still with his wife, which by now is starting to get a little annoying. I know good things come to those who wait but back to the chaos. Over the course of the week there had been sixty-three of our classmates hospitalized and more were coming in, which included Savanna and Brendan, who is now Kristys boyfriend. Speaking of Kristy, she's laying on the floor at my feet staring at the ceiling. I reach over with my toes and gently nudge her.

 

"Kris, are you ok?" I asked her as she turned to face me. For a moment her usually warm brown eyes were cold and glassy. I climbed down next to her slightly panicked and began to shake her, but she still remained motionless. For a moment she looked as though she had a seizure. Glad to know that in return she nearly gave me a heart attack when she wrapped her arms around me and started tickling me. After a half hour tickle war we leaned back against the legs of our couch, out of breath and laughed out. When Kristy caught her breath she turned to me and brushed my bangs out of my face.

 

"Harl, how do you suppose that we are not crazy yet?" she asked as I began to number the reasons on my fingers.

 

"Well we get along, we're always finding something to do or talk about, I don't find you the LEAST bit annoying and to be honest I'm kinda glad I'm cooped in this fiasco with you." I conveintly left off several of the reasons as I heard my phone beginning to go off. I grab it quickly and answer it, thinking it was Dr. Montgomery.

 

"Hello?" I answered in my most professional tone of voice. But as I listened to the noises in the background I felt my heart began to sink. I heard voices, metal clinging on metal, the faint static of walkie-talkies. Kristy looked at the expression on my face and she automatically knew something was wrong. Finally I heard a voice that I dreamed of hearing, but not in this situation. "

 

Darling, it's me. Wow, it's so good to hear your voice. Harley, they think I did this but I promise you I didn't do this." Jonathans frantic voice pleaded his innocence to me. I took a deep breath as I motioned for Kirsty to turn on the TV for the news, hoping we might hear more about this development.

 

"What are you talking about Jonathan? Did what?" I asked as Kristy gripped my jeans leg and began yanking it quite forcefully. I look up at the screen and shooting right across the bottom made my blood run cold.

 

"PROFESSOR JONATHAN CRANE UNDER ARREST FOR GCU BREAKOUT!"

 

 

"They think you did this?" I whispered into my mouth piece as his voice came back panic stricken. My only guess was that he was explaining to the guards that he needed to continue talking to me.

 

"Harley, something about my past. When I was "Scarecrow" I ran an experiement in Arkham with a fear gas. The gas causes people to have hallucinations of thier deepest fears. That's the same thing that the students were experiencing. But, please believe me that I had nothing to do with this. I'll be back in your arms soon my Annabel Lee. I love you." He whispered the last part as he turned his mouth away and continued to beg the guard to let him keep talking. The next thing I heard in the background were more yells and loud bangs, like something was smacking metal bars.

 

"Jonathan what is going on?"I asked as I allowed fear to enter my voice as I felt another very sharp tug on my jeans. I turn my eyes back onto the screen and a new headline had popped up.

 

"JOKER CAUGHT AND ARRESTED FOR GOTHAM UNIVERSITY OUTBREAK!"

 

"Who is the Joker?" I ask Jonathan as the line clicked quickly dead. I hung up my cellphone as I continued to watch the events that ensued on the TV. Instantly I recognized the man that they called "The Batman." He definately was a sight to behold in his all black costume. Yet, the smaller man that stood beside him drew me in. For some reason, goosebumps welled up in on my skin and they wouldn't go away. I knew deep down, I had to fear this man. However, my intrigue won't give into the fear. Why?



© 2011 Brittni


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on June 27, 2011
Last Updated on June 28, 2011


Author

Brittni
Brittni

New Castle, PA



About
I'm 23 years old and I've always found the most comfort in my writing because I feel like everyday, you need a change. You feel a need to be someone different and writing is a chance to be someone els.. more..

Writing
No Surprise No Surprise

A Poem by Brittni


The First Week The First Week

A Chapter by Brittni