December 24

December 24

A Chapter by Brittni

Merry Christmas..Eve that is. Gotham is glittering with pure white snow and glowing with multi-colored glass lights. I think there is something about this time of year that causes all of the professors to lighten up a pinch. Even Professor Isley celebrated the occassion by resembling something of a Christmas garland. The other day she had a beautiful bright evergreen tree hauled into the green house and told us to come up with an idea to decorate it. So, due to the fact that Kristy and I watch ENDLESS re-runs of Next Design Star, Dr. Isley ended up liking our decorations the best. We were not only rewarded bonus points, but we also had to instruct the other students on how to decorate the tree. To be honest, it really was funny to see these big bafoon frat boys trying to delicately juggle mini glass balls. Now here we are three hours later enjoying the warm interior of Johnathans apartment. My mother had called and told me it may be better for me to stay at school for Christmas because the roads to get back home are actually closed off. Thankfully, Kristy stayed right by my side. Johnathan was going home to his family for Christmas. I haven't told anyone else yet, but Johnathan has been talking to a lawyer to begin the divorce proceedings with Mara. I felt so horrible for the woman, then again I can't control Johnathans mind. He was also kind enough to let Kristy and I stay in his apartment which was I think his way of giving us a Christmas gift.

"Harley, Christmas dinner in five minutes. It's nothing fancy, but I think you'll like it." Kristy popped her head into the living room from the kitchen. I sighed as I tied my hair back and walked into the kitchen to help. She has been wonderful at taking care of me as I recovered from my attack. Physically I feel fine, but the nightmares are still in full force. There have even been early morning where I would wake up in Kristy's or Johnathan's arms covered in sweat. But, back to Kristy. Her rainbow hair was curled and swept up into a messy do as her long fingers were at work putting the finishing touches on..

"Subway?" I said trying to stifle a laugh. In my heart I thought it was the sweetest thing Kristy could do. She looked at me confused and started to laugh when she saw the empty Subway bag.

"No love, that was my lunch from earlier. Set the table and I'll bring everything else out." I saluted her as I set a nice dinner place for two, which included wine. I mean,neither of us were going out tonight, so I figured no harm no foul. As I set the last glass down Kristy came waltzing in carrying a small silver tray. Once she sat I down I knew what it was.

"Come on, it's not Christmas without turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, and gravy. I also made biscuits and for you especially Harley." She paused, turned back into the kitchen, and strolled back out carrying a small cardboard box.

"Arthur Treachers Famous Fish. Your mom told me how you guys eat seven different fishes every Christmas." I wrapped my arms around Kristy and held her tightly. This was so much already what she has done for me not only this past year, but also since we have become friends. I knew there would never be a way I could thank her. I knew I was lost in my toughts because she tapped me on my shoulder.

"Harl, I need to breathe." I quickly let go of her as we both laughed, sat down and began to enjoy Kristy's delicious Christmas dinner.

"You know, I should have changed my major to culinary." Kristy said as she molded her poatoes with her fork into a little volcano and filled it to the brim with gravy. I watched in admiration for a moment until she de-constructed it to satisfy her holiday craving.

"You can change careers as much as your little heart desires, but you know as well as I do that your passion will always be in writing." I told her as I sipped my wine. She appreared to ponder what I had said for a few minutes before nodding in agreement and sipping her own wine in turn. I made a mental note to replace the bottle of wine or to give him money for him to buy whatever type of alcohol that would suit his fancy.We continued our dinner while re-telling stories of Christmas's that have long since past. Unfortunately I didn't have the type of memories that Kristy had with her family, but our little family traditions around the holidays have always stuck with me.

"Well, you know about our seven fishes. Another one is every Christmas Eve, my mom would let my brother and I open one present. Usually it was pajamas, but one year I had a beautiful light blue sweater my mother had knitted for me. I wore that sweater every chance I got until I outgrew it. Pretty sure I handed it down to one of my neices, but I can't remember for sure." I trailed off, allowing myself to think about my family for a moment. My mom is probably trying to get last minute Christmas stuff for my neices while my brother lazes around playing Guitar Hero. I push the thought bitterly out of my mind as we finished our meal and cleaned up. As the last dish was dried and put away Kristy refilled our glasses and ran her festive red and green nails through my ponytail.

"Another tradition my family had was watching the twenty four hour marathon of "A Christmas Story." Maybe it'll be fun to watch it with someone who analyzes people." We burst out laughing as we paddled into the den, made ourselves comfortable and imersed ourselves in our marathon. After about the third movie rotation, I reached in the space between the couch and the loveseat to pull out Kristy's presents. Immeadiately her tan face began to blush as she did likewise from her hiding spot.

"I thought we decided last year no more Christmas presents." I said as I brushed some hair back out of my eyes.

"Well, we both knew that we like to do these kind of things. So shut up and open your presents." Like two greedy little monsters, I mean children, on Christmas morning we tore into our presents. Kristy beamed from ear to ear when she opened her new arts and caligraphy set, her new sweater, two new pairs of shoes, and some other little odds and ends I thought she would like. In return I ripped the paper off to reveal books, new running shoes, a new hoodie, and a new body wash set. After we opened our presents we began throwing papers at each other in a bit of a trash war. After our fun we began to clean up and get organized again. No sooner did we throw out the last papers did we hear a knocking at the door. Kristy and I glanced at the door suspiciously for ten minutes before I went and opened it. At my feet was a smaller looking box wrapped in black and red paper. I gingerly picked it up and carried it into the apartment. I set it on the kitchen table and examined it. When I couldn't wait any longer I ripped it open and stopped when I saw what was inside. It was a doll, no more than seven inches tall, dressed in an old fashioned Jester like costume that was decorated with the green, gold, and purple colors that were specific for Mardi Gras.

"Who would send you a Jester doll?" Kristy asked as she sipped her wine. Suddenly it hit me like a ton of cement blocks and I got cold all over when I realized the play.

"It's not a Jester Kris, it's a harlequin."



© 2012 Brittni


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this, I think I jumped in the middle of something. But still, i loved this, maybe I had a different image of the Joker's girl than others, this rocked.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 30, 2012
Last Updated on June 1, 2012


Author

Brittni
Brittni

New Castle, PA



About
I'm 23 years old and I've always found the most comfort in my writing because I feel like everyday, you need a change. You feel a need to be someone different and writing is a chance to be someone els.. more..

Writing
No Surprise No Surprise

A Poem by Brittni


The First Week The First Week

A Chapter by Brittni