Chapter 38 - The Beginning of the Quest

Chapter 38 - The Beginning of the Quest

A Chapter by emma

-Skye-

 

Nervously, I kept checking my phone to see if Dean had texted back. I knew Penelope wouldn’t--mostly just because I hadn’t told her what I was doing and she trusted me. But I kept thinking Dean would. Even though I had explicitly told him I’d be mad if he did, I still secretly wanted to hear him yell at me. He was pretty easy to get worked up, and it always made me giggle to watch him yell and shout. Don’t ask me why. But every passing minute, I grew more and more aware that he’d taken my threat seriously. He wasn’t going to call.

 

Chase and I were sitting awkwardly in a cab, and I wanted nothing more to hop out. This was a terrible idea. We had no idea what we were doing, and we were risking everything. Chase had a theory. He had heard some of the teachers discussing a secret meeting place where there was an alleged base camp for ghombies. It was two towns over in an old, abandoned apartment complex. So that’s where we were headed. I didn’t really think it was going to work, but ghombies couldn’t harm us, right? We weren’t ghombie whisperers.

 

Chase leaned over and touched my arm. I looked at him, a puzzled look on my face.

 

“I just wanted to make sure you were alive,” he stated. “You’re pretty pale.”

 

I was nervous. I wanted to see Dean. I wanted him to crack a joke that would erase my tension, then he’d hug me and tell me everything was just fine. I’d pondered for a good half hour if I should add the “I love you” to the end of his text. I’d decided to, because, well, it was true. Aside from Andrea, he was my best friend. And all week I’d been pretty mean to him. I even locked him out of my room one evening so Chase and I could discuss our plans. I’d felt horrible, and Dean hadn’t looked at me the same the next day. That was also the day I’d decided to leave. I wondered what he was doing, what he was thinking. I still wanted him to call.

 

“Skye? You okay?” Chase asked.

 

I shook my head quickly, knowing I missed something. “What?”

 

“I asked if you were okay.”

 

I looked away. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

He touched my cheek, and I tensed. It’s weird, because this was the moment I’d been waiting for a long time, but now that it was here . . . I didn’t care. I gently pushed off his fingers.

 

He frowned. “Are you sure?”

 

“Yes,” I spat.

 

Chase was silent until we got out of the cab, which was at least an hour later. He’s never that quiet. We stepped outside and instantly I felt cold. The weather was nice, but inside I felt cold. And suddenly I don’t want to go inside with just Chase. Theres someone else I need to be by my side. And when I pull out my phone, I see that I have received a text from him, even though I told him not to contact me. I smiled.

 

 

I’m sorry but I couldn’t not say something. Please answer. Please.

 

 

I didn’t reply directly back to what he said, but I gave him an answer. I told him where to come, and that we’d wait for him, and that I needed him to come now. Then I told Chase we had to wait.

 

“Why? We drove all the way out here to wait?”

 

“It’s important,” I snapped.

 

“What is?” he asked.

 

“Dean is!”

 

“We’re waiting for Dean?” He looked baffled.

 

“I told you, it’s important,” I said.

 

“If he’s so important, why didn’t you ask him to come in the first place?”

 

I glared at Chase. “Shut. Up.”

 

He took a few steps closer. “Why should I?”

 

“Because Dean deserves to be part of this.”

 

“Why? He’s never met Andrea!”

 

“He knows her well enough from everything I’ve told him,” I shot.

 

Chase took one step closer so we were practically face-to-face. “Are you guys a couple?”

 

I blushed hardcore. “No.”

 

Shockingly, Chase cupped my face in his hands. “Good.”

 

Then he pressed his lips to mine and I was transported back to a time when we were a couple and everything was fine. When he’d give me these sweet pecks on the lips before we said goodbye, when he’d stroke my hair, when he’d whisper cute things like, “I love you” and “you look beautiful today.” But that was all a long time ago. And too much had changed. And although it felt nice to be in his arms again, I kept thinking about how he’d kissed Andrea out of nowhere like this less than a month ago. And now here we were . . . kissing. I jerked away.

 

“What are you doing?” I asked him, breathless, incredulous.

 

“I don’t know anymore,” he mumbled.

 

I exploded. “What about Andrea? You’ve been saying you loved her for a while now and you just go and kiss me? Me? You’re ex girlfriend?”

 

Chase put his head in his hands. “I know, I know. I’m a jerk. You must hate me.”

 

He looked up, his green eyes blazing. I knew he wanted sympathy, and for me to sit next to him and tell him I could never hate him.

 

I steeled myself. “More than I ever thought I could.”

 

And then I walked a few meters away and sat down. And waited for Dean.



© 2012 emma


Author's Note

emma
here ya go, #38!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

WOW...............so much to say.....
Chase: Seriously dude? Are you really that much of a (pardon me) jack-a*s?
Skye: THANK YOU!! Sweet baby Jesus, girl, I thought you'd never figure this out!
Nate: Stay adorable! I CANNOT believe you went after Andrea.....SO hot!;)
Andrea: Stay awesome! Wait, there was something else.......what was it?
Hmmm.........oh yeah! DON'T DIE, OR I WILL KILL YOU!!
Dean: YAY!! Chase has been here from the beginning, and then you just show up and totally rock!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Go Skye! You're awesome! And Chase, you just keep digging yourself a deeper hole. Climb out while you still can!

Posted 11 Years Ago


OMG!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!
GO SKYE! You're amazing girl!!
One note: in the end where skye says "Me? You're ex girlfriend?"...you're should be your c:
I love this though. Going on to the next!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I freaking love this chapter. Dean is awesome I think him and skye should hook up. I am also quite proud of skye for pulling away from Chase and realizing hes not perfect. !!!!!!! YAAY so happy.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Dean is great, but I thought Skye and Dean were just friends. Did they just realise their love for each other or something? Nice twist in the story. Skye deserves someone better than chase who could just snog million girls and not really be loyal to even one of them. Good she's falling for Dean. Great story! Waiting for more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW...............so much to say.....
Chase: Seriously dude? Are you really that much of a (pardon me) jack-a*s?
Skye: THANK YOU!! Sweet baby Jesus, girl, I thought you'd never figure this out!
Nate: Stay adorable! I CANNOT believe you went after Andrea.....SO hot!;)
Andrea: Stay awesome! Wait, there was something else.......what was it?
Hmmm.........oh yeah! DON'T DIE, OR I WILL KILL YOU!!
Dean: YAY!! Chase has been here from the beginning, and then you just show up and totally rock!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

YES!!! Chase really really is a jerk. >:( I definitely think Dean is better than Chase!!! :P CAN'T WAIT FOR CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE!!!! This book is amazing! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

492 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2012
Last Updated on February 7, 2012

Ghombie Whisperer


Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Scorned Scorned

A Book by paparapapa