Global Futbol Matches January 21st to 27th, 2019

Global Futbol Matches January 21st to 27th, 2019

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

January 21 to January 27, 2019

 

In the Asian Cup Qualifiers, Kyrgyzstan backed up their five-nil win over the Philippines in the Nations League with a two-goal win against World Cup side Iraq. This included a brace from striker Murzaev in the second half and in quick succession.

 

Oceanian Cup Qualifiers began this week starting with New Caledonia’s solid 2-0 win over Vanuatu at home. Samoa followed suit and scored in each half to overcome their rivals American Samoa. Tahiti broke the pattern and scored a second goal after halftime to record a three-nil victory over Tonga. Papua New Guinea managed to nail down a draw against World Cup participants the Solomon Islands in Port Moresby. Fiji and the Cook Islands played a spiteful and entertaining game as the home side ran out 5-1 winners, which included a hat trick from midfielder Radrigai.

 

The Copa America Qualifiers continued this week as well. Suriname and the US Virgin Islands played out a scoreless and dull draw. The same occurred in Nicaragua, only the home team were much more attacking against El Salvador than Suriname were, with their best chance coming late in the game from Flores. Ecuador scored twice in the first eleven minutes of both halves, setting up a solid win over a poor-performing and winless Canadian side. Aruba also remains without a point, despite taking the game to the Peruvians, and finding a goal on the stroke of halftime. Only Farfán’s double helped his side regain the lead and a crucial away win.

 

Guyana surprised their opponents, the Americans, as the score remained nil-all until stoppage time in the first half. After some tactical changes, the US team managed five goals in all, with Acosta being Player of the Match with a goal and three assists. Chile effectively had won their game by the half hour mark, slotting four goals against Barbados, including a Pulgar double from left midfield. With seventeen shots on target, it is a wonder why they did not win by more �" multiple lucky saves and the woodwork kept the final result down.

 

Over in Trinidad and Tobago, the hosts grounded out a goal late in each half to overcome Bermuda, including a brilliant long-range shot from Player of the Match and right back Joevin Jones. St Lucia shocked Paraguay by defeating them 2-1, after a first half goal was pegged back by a Dominguez penalty. St Lucian substitute Mayers had other ideas, and scored from where the semi circle meets the 18-yard box, curling the ball around goalkeeper Silva and sending the home crowd into a frenzied state.

 

Uruguay’s second game in the Copa America Qualifiers should have been a greater margin against minnows Montserrat, with a double from Cavani helping Uruguay win by three goals. Grenadian’s Shamari Mark nearly went one better than Cavani against Jamaica as he scored a brace inside the first 11 minutes, the catalyst for their eventual 4-0 victory.

 

In Group G, Costa Rica and St Vincent and the Grenadines played an entertaining game, before two defensive turnovers allowed the home side to score twice and win three-nil. Bolaños, with a double, was the pick of the players. What was more entertaining was the game between Curacao and Brazil, with seven goals scored. The home side decided the best chance against the Brazilians was all-out attack, and Janga scored twice. The difference: Willian’s stunning hat trick.

 

The final six Euro 2020 Qualifiers were played out this week. Northern Ireland made the most of their chances early over Romania, but it was substitute Puşcaş that had other ideas as he scored in the 75th minute to draw level. Finland flew to Budapest in the battle for top place in Group F and attacked early, resulting in a goal that stunned a flat Hungary. However, the Hungarians worked their way back into the game, and goals from Kleinheisler and substitute Böde ensured a hard-fought victory. Greece also attacked early and gained the lead through Karelis. The Faroe Islands struggled to make an impact in their front third, mainly due to the 4-1-4-1 formation employed. In the final minutes, their coach Lars Olsen made changes to a more 4-4-1-1, but any path to goal eluded the Round of 16 World Cup side, and Greece gained the full three points.

 

In Group A, Turkey backed up their 3-1 away win against the Netherlands last year with four goals from four different goalscorers against Latvia. The major point of the game was when Latvian defender Jagodinskis caught Ünal in the penalty area, even though goalkeeper Vaņins had the ball safely in his hands. A penalty and red card meant there was no way Latvia could keep up with the red-hot Turkish players. Netherlands started a potential winning streak as they defeated Iceland away, thanks to a single goal from Promes. The Czech Republic dominated much of their quest against Kazakhstan, however, it was the Kazakhs who scored first in the second half. Luckily, the Czechs salvaged a point straight after from substitute Darida’s impeccable goal. If only two woodwork-hitting shots had gone in �" the full points would have then gone to the home side.

 

In the Nations League Match Day 4, Taiwan scored 3-1 against Myanmar, the reversal of their previous meet at the start of the Nations League. The Maldives and Brunei played out a hapless draw in League C, with only one shot being on target.

 

January 22

U17 Men’s Friendlies

26

·  Ecuador 2 Argentina 2

·  Malta 2 Portugal 3

 

January 23

Asian Cup Qualifiers

·  Kyrgyzstan 2 Iraq 0

Nations League

Asia B

·  Taiwan 3 Myanmar 1

Asia C

·  Maldives 0 Brunei 0

 

Friendly

·  Spain 1 Germany 3

·  Kazakhstan 4 Vietnam 3

·  Colombia 2 El Salvador 0

·  USA 2 Denmark 5

 

January 26

OFC Qualifiers

·  New Caledonia 2 Vanuatu 0

·  Samoa 2 American Samoa 0

·  Tahiti 3 Tonga 0

·  Papua New Guinea 1 Solomon Islands 1

·  Fiji 5 Cook Islands 1

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

·  Northern Ireland 1 Romania 1

·  Hungary 2 Finland 1

·  Faroe Islands 0 Greece 1

·  Turkey 4 Latvia 0

·  Iceland 0 Netherlands 1

·  Czech Republic 1 Kazakhstan 1

 

Copa America 2020 Qualifiers

·  Suriname 0 US Virgin Islands 0

·  Ecuador 4 Canada 1

·  Nicaragua 0 El Salvador 0

·  Aruba 1 Peru 2

·  USA 5 Guyana 0

·  Chile 4 Barbados 0

·  Trinidad and Tobago 2 Bermuda 0

·  St Lucia 2 Paraguay 1

·  Uruguay 3 Montserrat 0

·  Grenada 4 Jamaica 0

·  Costa Rica 3 St Vincent and the Grenadines 0

·  Curacao 2 Brazil 5

 



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on January 27, 2019
Last Updated on January 27, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing