March 18 to 24, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

March 18 to 24, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

March 18 to 24, 2019

 

 

Match Day 5 of the Nations League came to a head this week in Asia.

 

 

Asia A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Bahrain

4

3

1

0

10

+4

2

Iran

5

2

1

2

7

0

3

Australia

5

1

2

2

5

0

4

Kuwait

4

1

0

3

3

-4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Iran and Australia fought in the middle of the group to, firstly, stay in League A, but also to catch Bahrain. Iran scored in the 10th minute via Azmoun, his first for the Nations League. Iran continued to keep on top of their counterparts for much of the game. Australia never gave up, and slotted a goal through Kruse in the 83rd minute. Iran, however, turned it around and three minute later, Taremi finished a solid goal and his team came out winners.

 

 

Asia A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Japan

5

4

1

0

13

+13

2

Uzbekistan

5

2

0

3

6

-2

3

Tajikistan

5

1

2

2

5

-7

4

Vietnam

5

1

1

3

4

-4

 

Vietnam’s Nguyễn Trọng Hoàng scored late at home against Uzbekistan to score their first win for the Nations League. Uzbekistan had two late chances, both from Bikmaev, but goalkeeper Nguyễn Tiến Linh kept out both. The result effectively ended any chance of Uzbekistan topping the group. Tajikistan improved compared to the last time they faced Japan as they traded goals with the East Asian side, resulting in an exciting 2-2 match.

 

 

Asia A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Korea

5

3

1

1

10

+6

2

Saudi Arabia

5

2

1

2

7

-1

3

North Korea

5

1

3

1

6

0

4

China

5

1

1

3

4

-5

 

South Korea’s four-bagger from four different scorers has set up an almost-undefeatable position in Group A3. Saudi Arabia never looked in the game, and at times were mediocre compared to the flight-footed Koreans. Gao Lin scored his first goal in the Nations League for China as they fought hard against the North Koreans to win by a solitary goal. That result means North Korea cannot reach top placing, and are in danger of being relegated. China must now win away in Saudi Arabia to have any hope of remaining in League A, whilst South Korea can secure the win of the group if they draw or win over their rivals, North Korea.

 

 

Oceania A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Vanuatu

3

2

1

0

7

+4

2

American Samoa

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Samoa

4

1

0

3

3

-4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At the start of the Match Day, American Samoa sought to leapfrog over rivals Samoa with a win and ensure their stay in League A. The game started well when Demetrius Beauchamp stole the ball and slotted with his right boot. Playing up forward instead of defence or midfield, Casper Kuresa tried twice to chip the keeper, only for the Samoan defence to clear both times. Finally, the American Samoan found the ball in the 56th minute just outside the box. His shot bypassed a sliding defender and swung outwards, enough to sneak past the keeper, and enough to miss the post. From that moment, American Samoa played for keeps, knowing they had enough to keep their team in League for another two years and relegate Samoa to League B. The question now is: will American Samoa be able to win by three against a fiery Vanuatu and claim first place?

 

 

Oceania A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

New Zealand

4

3

1

0

10

+8

2

Cook Islands

3

1

0

2

3

-3

3

Solomon Islands

3

0

1

2

1

-5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Cook Islanders thought they could give parochial side New Zealand a run for their money, particularly when they scored twice in the first half through Pareta and Burrows, both from brilliant centred passes. However, the Kiwis responded both times with goals, making the halftime score 2-2. From then, New Zealand dominated the game, producing two more goals, including Noah Billingsley’s second, and a brilliant header from substitute Jai Ingham. Having won Group A2, New Zealand will be able to sit back and see who will remain with them: the Cook Islands or the Solomon Islands? With the Solomon Islanders playing at home in the final match, the win is likely theirs.

 

 

 

Oceania A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Fiji

3

2

1

0

7

+4

2

Papua New Guinea

3

1

1

1

4

-2

3

Tahiti

4

1

0

3

3

-2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The aim of Match Day 5 for Papua New Guinea was to overcome Tahiti and send them packing to the lower league. Tahiti dominated the first patch, resulting in a goal by Charles Lebaste. Soon Papua New Guinea worked their way into the game, with Obert Bika’s cross finding Donovan Murray’s head after the result of some solid team passing. Much of the remaining game ebbed and flowed, with the home side pressing for a late winner. When all seemed lost and Tahiti held out hope of an away draw, Patrick Aisa found Murray free from defensive pressure, who slotted home the goal that secured their place in League A for another two years. They have a slim chance of topping the table, but must win by four goals away to guarantee. Fiji, on the other hand, aim to complete a masterpiece of matches to win the group.

 

 

Europe A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Italy

3

2

0

1

6

+6

2

Netherlands

3

2

0

1

6

+4

3

Russia

4

1

0

3

3

-10

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At first glance prior to this Match Day, it seemed the Dutch would overtake Italy. However, Russia, who is already being relegated, pulled their resources together and surprised the Netherlands with a 1-0 away victory. Newcomer Ilzat Akhmetov collected the rebound from Cillessen’s save early in the match and slotted it into the open goal. From there, the Russians placed everyone in a defensive position, and gave the Dutch no room to weave their magic. The final Match Day will now determine the winner of the group.

 

 

Europe A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

England

4

2

1

1

7

+3

2

Spain

3

2

0

1

6

+1

3

Portugal

3

0

1

2

1

-4

In a tight group, England fired home four goals to one against Portugal to finish their campaign on a high, and taking first place away from Spain. Raheem Sterling won a penalty early for his side, but Rui Patricio managed to save his lacklustre shot. Soon England piled on three goals from three different scorers, including Sterling and Player of the Match Dele Alli, and by halftime the match was effectively over, as was Portugal’s run in League A. Substitute Kieran Trippier reclaimed the three-goal margin via a stoppage-time fourth goal, after Bernardo Silva snatched one back in the second half. In the final match, Spain must win to ensure first place, whilst Portugal will simply be playing for pride.

 

 

Europe A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Denmark

3

2

1

0

7

+2

2

Czech Republic

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Austria

4

1

0

3

3

-2

Austria thought their chances of remaining in League A were high after scoring away to the Czech Republic. However, the home team worked back into the contest, and created strong chances, before Jankto’s shot through the legs of defenders found the back of the net and gave the Czech Republic their first win for the tournament. They now play host to Denmark, where a win will ensure a place in the Playoffs. Austria, must, however, now play in League B in two years’ time.

 

 

Africa A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cameroon

3

2

0

1

6

+2

2

Tunisia

4

2

0

2

6

-2

3

Gabon

3

1

0

2

3

0

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gabon came out strong against Tunisia, gaining an early goal by the way of Allevinah’s head. Soon Missi Mezu joined in with two goals and Gabon were on top of their opponents, giving them nothing. Gabon now sits three points behind Tunisia and Cameroon, and if they win by two goals in the final match, they will advance to the Nations League playoffs. Cameroon would have to lose by 4 goals or more to drop down to League B. Still, it seems likely that Gabon will have to grace the second tier.

 

 

 

 

Americas A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Colombia

5

3

1

1

10

+9

2

Venezuela

5

3

1

1

10

0

3

Uruguay

5

2

2

1

8

+5

4

Guatemala

5

0

0

5

0

-14

 

The match between Uruguay and Colombia was on track to be a mirror image of their previous Nations League encounter, with goals from Uruguay’s Valverde and Suárez, and one from Colombia’s Barrios. However, Miguel Borja snuck home a netter in the dying minutes of the match, leaving Uruguay reeling from their real chance to take top spot in the group. They dropped to third, in fact, after Venezuela scored two goals to one in both halves against Guatemala. Player of the Match Darwin Machís scored a goal and assisted another, and won the most tackles for the match. Match Day 6 is now all set: will Uruguay overcome Venezuela at home and hope that Guatemala can defeat Colombia, or will Venezuela be the dark horse and rise to the top?

 

 

Americas A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Ecuador

4

3

0

1

9

+3

2

Argentina

5

1

3

1

6

+5

3

Jamaica

4

1

2

1

5

+1

4

Bolivia

5

0

2

3

2

-9

 

Argentina should have defeated Bolivia on their turf with multiple chances in the second half, only to miss wildly. Their third away draw now places them precariously in second place, but Jamaica and Ecuador both have a game in hand.

 

 

Americas A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Brazil

5

4

1

0

13

+7

2

Paraguay

5

2

1

2

7

+4

3

USA

5

1

1

3

4

-4

4

Costa Rica

5

1

1

3

4

-7

 

Paraguay finally stole points away from Brazil with a 1-1 draw on home soil. The Paraguayans dominated the first half, leading to a chip over the goalkeeper Ederson Moraes by Celso Ortiz, and gaining a crucial lead. The second half saw Brazil wrestle back momentum and a goal via Roberto Firmino. Both sides had chances to win, including another chip shot from Ortiz, only this time Ederson Moraes was privy to the situation and closed down the ball before it popped over his body. That mattered little, for Brazil has won the group.

 

Costa Rica finally recorded their first win after two home losses. The win, against a US side intent on gaining vital points on the road, only came about from a better second half than the first. The Americans looked set to score in the first half, but wayward passing in the final third kept the Costa Ricans in the game. Jean Scott’s inclusion suddenly changed the game as he immediately crossed to Jose Alfaro, who volleyed easily past a wrong-way-diving Zack Steffen. From that moment, Costa Rica attacked, only for the score to remain one-nil. The win places them level with the USA on points, but still three goals behind on goal difference. Both sides play away in their final match, and will need to defend like champions to remain in League A. Our prediction: Costa Rica will be relegated, as they have to face Brazil in Rio. 

 

 

Americas A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Peru

5

2

3

0

9

+7

2

Mexico

5

2

1

2

7

+2

3

Chile

4

2

1

1

7

+1

4

St Vincent and the Grenadines

4

0

1

3

1

-10

 

Peru took control of their match against Mexico, starting with a goal from Édison Flores. Usually playing on the left wing, coach Ricardo Gareca switched him to the right, with immediate effect. Peru continued to dominate possession in the second half, though Mexico had a chance to level through Érick Gutiérrez, only for his shot to smack the crossbar. Isaac Brizuela followed up the rebound, but shot to the left of goal. From that moment on the Peruvians showed great composure, attacking hard in the last few minutes, which resulted in a header goal for substitute Christopher Gonzáles. The win bumps Peru above Mexico, having not lost a match thus far, with one game to go against Chile, who have a game in hand against St Vincent and the Grenadines.

 

 

 

Asia B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Qatar

5

2

2

1

8

+5

2

Myanmar

5

2

2

1

8

+1

3

Taiwan

4

2

0

2

6

+1

4

East Timor

4

1

0

3

3

-7

 

In League B1, Qatar and Myanmar both had chances in the second half to win the game. Almoez Ali and Akram Afif both hit the left hand post, and the Qatari keeper saved Kyaw Nanda’s first shot, before his second hit multiple Qatari defenders and out into safety for the home team. The result: nil-all.

 

 

Asia B2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Laos

5

4

0

1

12

+2

2

Cambodia

5

3

0

2

9

+3

3

Mongolia

5

2

1

2

7

+1

4

Thailand

5

0

1

4

1

-6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bottom of Group B2, Thailand, flew to Laos with the intent of not being relegated to League C. Laos responded to an attacking Thai side by forming five at the back, and kept 61% of possession in the first half, nullifying any Thai advances. The game seemed set for a scoreless draw, until Phithack Kongmathilath combined with teammates to find a gap in the back Thai three. As he shot for goal, his legs were clipped, and the referee awarded a penalty. Kongmathilath cooly stepped up and slotted the ball into the net. A second goal from substitute Chanthaphone Waenvongsoth all but solidified Laos’ rise to League A, while Thailand will retire in two years’ time to League C. Laos’ only rivals are Cambodia, who scored in the second half through Vathanaka to win 2-1 against Mongolia. Cambodia has to win away to Thailand, whilst Laos fly to Mongolia with the hope of securing that League A slot.

 

 

Asia B3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Oman

5

3

2

0

11

+4

2

Syria

5

1

3

1

6

+1

3

Jordan

5

1

2

2

5

+1

4

Nepal

5

1

1

3

4

-6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A new-look Jordan needed their first win to rise off the bottom of Group B3, and they scored three inside the first 19 minutes against Nepal to breeze past them. Over in Oman, Syria was the first to score through Omar Khribin, increasing their hopes of taking first place. However, the second half saw wide midfielders, Saleh and Al Yahmadi score, before a blinding goal that bounced off the post. Syria pegged one goal back from substitute Amro Jenyat, but Oman played for possession for the final seven minutes and posted Syria’s first loss of the tournament. Nepal now must win against Oman at home, and Jordan must win to ensure Nepal do not overtake them. Oman, meanwhile, sit in the knowledge they will be in League A in two years’ time.

 

 

Asia B4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

UAE

5

3

1

1

10

+3

2

Sri Lanka

5

3

0

2

9

+4

3

Bangladesh

5

1

2

2

5

-3

4

Macau

5

1

1

3

4

-4

 

Sri Lanka scored a crucial away win against Macau, with Kavidu Ishan scoring his second goal for the Nations League. The UAE remained on top of the group with a hard-fought, attacking match against Bangladesh that ended in a draw. That means Bangladesh only requires a draw at home against Macau to take stock in League B. The winner between the UAE and Sri Lanka, in Dubai, will determine the nation that leaps into League A. A draw will help the home side.

 

 

Europe B2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Bulgaria

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Turkey

3

0

3

0

3

0

3

Cyprus

4

0

2

2

2

-3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bulgaria secured their promotion to League A over Turkey and Cyprus after defeating the latter away 2-1. The Bulgarians were up by two goals early, thanks to goals from Kostadinov and Chochev. The Cypriots, eager to reclaim their World Cup-quality playing, switched things around once they responded with a Mytides goal that managed to nutmeg a Bulgarian defender, and the resulting spinning bounce made the ball unreachable for goalkeeper Mihaylov. This was not enough for Cyprus, as Bulgaria recorded their second win, the only wins thus far for the tournament, whilst Cyprus is relegated to League C. The final match between Bulgaria and Turkey will be a dead rubber, with it having no impact on the outcome of Group B2.

 

 

Europe B3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Switzerland

4

2

1

1

7

0

2

Slovenia

3

2

0

1

6

+4

3

Sweden

3

0

1

2

1

-4

Switzerland bounced back from a four-nil drubbing at the hands of Slovenia to defeat Sweden with a three-goal display from three different goalscorers, including Player of the Match Granit Xhaka. They now rely on Sweden, who will be relegated to League C, to defeat Slovenia at home, otherwise the Swiss shall remain in League B for another two years.

 

 

 

Europe B4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Poland

4

2

2

0

8

+4

2

Hungary

3

1

1

1

4

-1

3

Belgium

3

0

1

2

1

-3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Poland looked set to score against Hungary on their home turf. However, when the Hungarians caught the Polish on a fast break, Tomasz Kędziora needed to make a vital tackle, but instead challenged so hard it was worthy of a straight red card. From there, the Hungarians had the upper hand, but neither side found the back of the net. That draw means Poland will progress to League A, whilst Hungary must not let Belgium win in the final game of the group.

 

 

Africa B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Algeria

3

2

1

0

7

+6

2

Morocco

4

1

1

2

4

-1

3

Niger

3

1

0

2

3

-5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Algeria faced the Moroccans with an experimental first eleven, hoping to solidify top place against their North African rivals. It seemed as though Algeria and Morocco would fight out another draw, with neither side able to ripple the back of the net. However, Sofiane Feghouli’s inclusion for the home team brought a chasing mentality to their play. That pressure led to Feghouli’s long-range shot, transporting Algeria to top of the table, and into League A. Algeria will probably continue with the experimental side when they fly to Niger for the final game, where Niger will need to win to stay in League B.

 

 

Africa B2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Chad

3

2

1

0

7

+2

2

Zambia

4

1

1

2

4

-1

3

Sudan

3

1

0

2

3

-1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Zambia needed to defeat Chad on their turf, but it was Chad that dominated the first half, scoring twice via both strikers Labbo and N’Douassel. The hosts eased off in the second half, which allowed the Zambians back into the game, and late in time had a header into the back of the net from a corner. However, Chad held on, and will move upwards to League A based on that result. They travel to Sudan for the final match, where all Sudan needs is a draw to avoid relegation.

 

 

 

Europe C2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Norway

4

3

0

1

9

+2

2

Israel

4

2

1

1

7

+1

3

Lithuania

5

2

1

2

7

0

4

Kazakhstan

5

0

2

3

2

-3

 

Kazakhstan’s relegation to League D was confirmed after their draw at home against Lithuania. Though the Kazakhs had more shots, it was the away team who should have scored three times, but sent the ball wide or straight at the keeper.

 

 

 

Africa C3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Senegal

5

4

0

1

12

+7

2

Equatorial Guinea

5

2

1

2

7

-3

3

Botswana

5

2

0

3

6

-2

4

eSwatini

5

1

1

3

4

-2

eSwatini needed to pull off a remarkable win against Botswana to have the slightest hope of remaining in League C. And what a remarkable first-half performance they put on, including a brace from newcomer striker Figareido. The second half was much more competitive, but eSwatini had done enough damage to Botswana’s chance of promotion. Meanwhile, Equatorial Guinea played hosts to Senegal, and with the prowess of their goalkeeper Ovono early, kept the Senegalese shots away from goal. In fact, they countered with two goals of their own, and with that advantage continued to open up the game. Senegal replied through Sarr, and Sadio Mané should have levelled the scores, but Equatorial Guinea won the day and rose to second place on the table. They are not out of potential relegation yet, but have placed themselves in the best position possible as they host Botswana in the final match.

 

 

 

 

Asia C1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Bhutan

3

2

0

1

6

+4

2

Turkmenistan

4

1

1

2

4

-2

3

Palestine

3

1

1

1

4

-2

In their final game, Turkmenistan needed to gain a win and a six-goal difference margin against Palestine. Captain Annadurdiyev led from the front and had a hat trick by halftime. His first two goals came from brilliant ground crosses as Turkmenistan dominated their front third. That was enough to lift Turkmenistan off the bottom. Palestine now must win against Bhutan to firstly lift off the bottom, but also have a chance of advancing to League B.

 

 

Asia C2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Lebanon

5

4

0

1

12

+5

2

Yemen

5

2

2

1

8

-1

3

Malaysia

5

1

1

3

4

+1

4

Indonesia

5

1

1

3

4

-5

In Group C2, Yemen gained their second away draw in a row as they scored early against Indonesia, only for Beto to score once again as he did in their previous meeting. This draw will not be enough, as Lebanon snagged their fourth win in a row, this time over Malaysia. The first Lebanese goal came from an unlikely source of Player of the Match midfielder Samir Ayass, who placed the Malaysian defence under real pressure in the first half. Then, as halftime neared, Malaysia pegged a goal back via Ahda, before Hilal El-Helwe scored his maiden Nations League goal to secure a place in League B for Lebanon. The final Match Day will see Malaysia and Indonesia fight to remain off the bottom of the group.

 

 

Asia C3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Kyrgyzstan

4

2

0

2

6

+8

2

Singapore

3

2

0

1

6

-3

3

Philippines

3

1

0

2

3

-5

Kyrgyzstan showed how much they struggle to perform on the road with a 2-0 loss to Singapore. That means Singapore are level with Kyrgyzstan on points, and can steal the path to League B should they draw or defeat the Philippines in Manila.

 

 

Asia C4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Brunei

4

2

2

0

8

+6

2

Maldives

3

1

1

1

4

-4

3

Afghanistan

3

0

1

2

1

-2

Brunei scored twice against Afghanistan in their final Nations League match, through Amiri, however, the Afghanis pegged one back, and Brunei needed to fight to hold on to their lead. They did, and hence progressed to the higher League. In the final match, Afghanistan play host to the Maldives. Should they win, the Afghanis will rise above their counterparts based on goal difference.

 

 

Europe D1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

San Marino

5

3

0

2

9

-1

2

Montenegro

5

2

2

1

8

+7

3

Estonia

5

2

2

1

8

+4

4

Moldova

5

1

0

4

3

-10

 

 

Estonia put forth their argument for progression up the Leagues with a solid three-nil win over Moldova, all but confirming the away team’s place at the bottom of the group. Zenjov’s brace in the first half was the catalyst for the comprehensive win. As for Montenegro, their 4-0 loss to England in a friendly a couple of weeks ago seemed a catalyst for payback as they romped San Marino by five goals, including a hat trick from newcomer Mugoša. That secured them in second place, one point behind San Marino. It comes down to the final Match Day. Both Estonia and Montenegro will have to win away to have any chance of shifting up to League C. All San Marino needs to do it win against Estonia, at home, where their previous meeting was 2-0 to the Estonians.

 

 

Europe D2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Luxembourg

5

3

1

1

10

+5

2

Andorra

5

3

0

2

9

-1

3

Iceland

5

2

0

3

6

-1

4

Gibraltar

5

1

1

3

4

-3

 

At the start of Match Day 5, theoretically, all nations were in the hunt for promotion. Whilst Andorra always seemed in control against Gibraltar, the away side kept scoring goals to remain in the hunt of snatching a possible away draw. That did not eventuate, and Gibraltar’s slim chances of advancing up the leagues fell to naught. Luxembourg maintained their grip over Iceland as the home side scored from three corners out of their four goals, including two from midfielder Leandro Barreiro. Iceland joins Gibraltar in having to remain in League D for another two years. Andorra and Luxembourg now face off in the last Match Day to see who will win the group and promote themselves to League C. The tip: the home side in Luxembourg.

 

 

Europe D3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Greece

5

4

1

0

13

+6

2

Liechtenstein

5

3

0

2

9

0

3

Monaco

5

1

1

3

4

-2

4

Azerbaijan

5

0

2

3

2

-4

 

At the start of Match Day 5, Group D3 saw a two-horse battle between Greece and Liechtenstein for promotion. Liechtenstein hit the woodwork three times in the first half, but luckily the third time rebounded off the diving keeper Barkas and into the goal. Greece maintained their composure and scored twice, through Karelis and Zeca, to gain their second away win in a row in the Nations League. More importantly, they will be joining League C in 2020/2021. In the battle for the bottom, Monaco looked to have sewn up a win thanks to an Azerbaijan defensive error; however, Əliyev had other ideas as he scored an injury-time equaliser. Azerbaijan can still lift off the bottom of the group if they win against Liechtenstein and Greece defeat Monaco.

 

 

Europe D4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Armenia

5

4

1

0

13

+5

2

Kosovo

5

3

1

1

10

+2

3

Albania

5

1

1

3

4

-1

4

Latvia

5

0

1

4

1

-6

 

Though Albania was able to make the promotion position on paper, the likelihood was slim. That chance flew over the bar with Bekim Balaj’s missed penalty, allowing Kosovo to win 1-0. Armenia almost cemented their spot in League C with a 2-0 win over Latvia, including goals from Ghazaryn and Movsisyan.

 

 

Africa D1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Namibia

4

3

0

1

9

0

2

South Sudan

3

1

1

1

4

+2

3

Ethiopia

3

0

1

2

1

-2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Namibia, having already qualified for promotion, came to South Sudan and played half-heartedly as the hosts scored three past them, including a double from Chol Daniel. Striker Tong Atak Lual scored in the fifth minute, before Namibia worked their way back into the contest. However, the South Sudanese dominated the second half, which included a brilliant long ball to Daniel whilst the defenders were trying to get others offside. His second goal was just as good; his header knobbed the crossbar before the ball crossed the line and spun back out. South Sudan should be able to keep Ethiopia on the bottom of the group in the last match.

 

 

Africa D2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Mozambique

5

3

1

1

10

+6

2

Sierra Leone

5

2

1

2

7

+2

3

Djibouti

5

1

3

1

6

-4

4

Comoros

5

0

3

2

3

-4

 

Djibouti played against the Comoros, where the scoreless draw awarded both their third draw for the tournament. Sierra Leone, on the other hand, brought themselves closer to Mozambique at the top of the ladder with a comprehensive three-goal victory. Mohamed Kamara scored twice, up to his scissor-kicking best with his second goal. The Mozambican goalkeeper, Leonel Pendula, made three saves in a row to keep his side roughly in the contest. However, Mohamed Kamara’s substitute, Julius Wobay, scored in additional time to cap off a wonderful performance. In the final match, Sierra Leone must win away against the Comoros, whilst hoping Djibouti defeats Mozambique at home, and in the process make up a difference of four. It is possible, but Mozambique still is the favourite to be promoted.

 

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers

Match Day 9 concluded this week, with some surprising results. Croatia held Norway to a one-all tie, giving them every opportunity to win the group. Turkey defeated Switzerland, providing them with a great chance of qualifying for the Nations Cup. Bulgaria is neck and neck with the Ukraine and Sweden in their group, and it will come down to the final Match Day to see which nation progresses. Serbia’s win against Scotland put them on top of the ladder in Group H. Slovenia’s defeat of Cyprus placed them into third, but way out of contention behind Spain and Russia.

 

Uzbekistan leapt India in Asia Group A, giving them the best chance of qualifying as they overcame Tajikistan by a goal. Thailand’s third home draw meant they were unable to close the gap with Iran, who looks set to win the group and either gain a direct line to the Nations Cup, or reach the Playoffs. They will have to see what happens with Jordan, as they have guaranteed top spot in Group C after winning away to Sri Lanka. Jordan will finish their campaign seeking the most points across all groups and receive the first Asian slot in the Nations Cup. South Korea has sewn up Group D, whilst Singapore’s away win against Malaysia places them in the box seat to be runners up. The UAE managed a crucial away draw in Sydney, where both sides are now fighting for the top place as the Asian qualifiers come to a close next week.

 

In Oceanian qualification, Tahiti and Papua New Guinea both had wins. On the ladder, New Caledonia is wedged between the two. Tahiti and New Caledonia are on seven points, three behind Papua New Guinea. It will come down to the final Match Day to see who advances to the Playoffs. Wins for New Zealand and Fiji ensure both of them will be first and second. Who will top the group also depends on the final matches in Group B.

 

In North America, Mexico defeated Curacao by four goals, all but guaranteeing topping the group, with a streak of five wins from five games. In much the same way, Trinidad and Tobago achieved their fifth victory with a win over St Lucia. Antigua and Barbuda found a point away to Haiti, thus opening up CONCACAF’s Group B as to who will progress. Barbados sits behind Haiti on the table after a 2-0 win over Puerto Rico. One point separates Canada, St Vincent and the Grenadines and Guyana in Group C after the former two played out a draw and Guyana won over the hapless US Virgin Islanders. Guyana and St Vincent battle it out in the final match, whilst Canada flies to the Virgin Islands, hoping for a solid away victory and securing that important spot in the Playoffs, thanks to a mightier goal difference compared with the others.

 

The United States’ away win against Aruba secured their place in the Playoffs with a match to spare. Runners up will be either Panama or St Kitts and Nevis. Odds are on the latter to finish second in the group. In Group E, both Costa Rica and Jamaica had solid home wins, setting up the final Match Day as determining their positions. If Jamaica defeats Suriname at home, which is likely, they will progress to the Playoffs. On the other hand, Costa Rica must claim an away victory and hope Suriname, who are without a point in the Qualifiers, hold Jamaica off from winning. Southwards, Brazil claimed first placing by defeating Peru, and allowed Argentina some wiggle room in becoming runners up.

 

In African Qualifiers, both Group D matches ended in a draw, which helped Cameroon the most as they sit two points behind Côte d’Ivoire. The former plays host to the latter in their final game, a perfect way to end the group with so much riding on that game. A draw will be enough for the Ivoirians. In Group C, Morocco finalised first placing after a 4-1 win against Uganda, with a game to spare. Equatorial Guinea and Zambia will fight for the runners up positions as they play hosts to Morocco and Mozambique respectively. South Africa’s away win over Burkina Faso see them top Group B, and place them in good stead in advancing directly to Africa’s first slot in the Nations Cup. In Group A, with Nigeria out of contention, the final group games will come down to the Namibians taking on Nigeria. A draw or win will see them top the group, which they will seek to accomplish after the confidence gained from defeating Madagascar away 2-1. If Namibia loses, Mali will advance to the Playoffs based on goal difference, despite having a bye in the final round.



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!

Stats

82 Views
Added on March 24, 2019
Last Updated on March 24, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing