April 22 to May 5, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

April 22 to May 5, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

April 22 to May 5, 2019

The Invitational Cup returned this week for this first time in 2019, with two final Match Days to determine the Quarter Finalists.

Invitational Cup Tables

Top Two Qualify for Quarter Final Stage

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Russia

8

5

1

2

16

+4

2

Ghana

7

4

2

1

14

+7

3

Portugal

7

2

3

2

9

+1

4

New Zealand

7

2

0

5

6

-6

5

Macedonia

7

1

2

4

5

-6

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Portugal gained an early lead thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo’s right boot in the third minute, and it seemed the away team would romp it home against Macedonia. However, the hosts managed to take charge of the possession, and had 60% of it by the end of the first half. As the second half continued, an error from substitute João Mário as he passed back to Rui Patrício gave Macedonia a lucky goal, and with them full of confidence, managed to play out a draw. This did not, though, raise them off bottom place, and with one match remaining, it seems likely they will stay there. The Portuguese will also rue giving away a costly own goal, as with Ghana’s result over New Zealand, they can no longer qualify for the Quarter Finals. Three first-half goals by Atsu, Jordan Ayew and Agbenyenu meant Ghana had control of the entire game over New Zealand in Accra. Ghana can reach first place in the group if they can pull off an away victory against New Zealand in the return leg. New Zealand, however, will fight for the win to guarantee staying out of reach of Macedonia.

 

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

France

7

3

3

1

12

+4

2

Brazil

7

3

3

1

12

+1

3

Switzerland

7

3

2

2

11

+5

4

Italy

8

2

2

4

8

-3

5

Egypt

7

0

4

3

4

-7

Egypt needed a win to have any hope of lifting off the bottom of Group B, but that all came to nothing as they drew against Brazil. Brazil had the better chances in the first half, whilst Mohamed Hany and Salah both had opportunities late in the match to steal a win. Mohamed Hany first hit the crossbar, whereas Salah stole the ball deep in the 18-yard box, only for the ensuing shots to somehow stay out of the net. Brazil will look to the reverse leg to win and overtake France in the same way they overtook Switzerland. France claimed top place over the Swiss thanks to a double from Pogba that bookended the first half. Switzerland caught the French on a fast break and closed the gap via substitute Mehmedi, but then Fekir came off the bench for France and slotted a pearler. A late individual goal from Fassnacht was not enough to salvage a draw, and France ran out 3-2 winners. All three nations can reach the Quarter Finals. Brazil and France only need draws to do so, whereas Switzerland, with the home advantage, will progress with a win. Can they defeat the French without the likes of Shaqiri? One would say they deserve to after such a dominant series of performances earlier in the tournament.

 

 

Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Belgium

9

5

3

1

18

+9

2

Spain

9

5

2

2

17

+18

3

South Korea

9

3

3

3

12

+8

4

Togo

9

3

2

4

11

-4

5

Peru

9

2

3

4

9

-10

6

Kenya

9

1

3

5

6

-18

 

An even first half ensued as Togo played host to South Korea. On paper, both sides could qualify for the Quarter Finals, but a draw would be the death of both nations. And a draw it was. Romao scored for Togo from a corner straight after the break, but it was Hwang Ui-jo, despite being on a yellow card, who equalised in the 68th minute. From there, both sides had chances to win the match, but neither could polish their shots. Their final match in Seoul will be a dead rubber, only playing to see who will finish third. In the match up for first place, Belgium only needed a home win to guarantee staying above Spain. However, it was the away side that dominated long periods of the first half, culminating in a goal by Marco Asensio. In the second half, the Belgians worked back into the game, and finally managed an 80th-minute netter by Tielemans, who was pushed to right wing to provide more attack down that side. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, which means Spain can take top spot with a win at home in the reverse leg. In the battle for last place, Peru had the upper hand in the middle of the park, but could not find the finishing touch. Against the run of play in the second half, Kenya won a penalty, and Juma converted, and settled in to defend their slight lead. Finally Peru found a way to goal via a corner-and-header from midfielder Renato Tapia.

 

 

Group D

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Poland

9

5

2

2

17

+6

2

Costa Rica

9

5

0

4

15

+1

3

Chile

9

4

2

3

14

+5

4

Netherlands

9

3

3

3

12

+3

5

Czech Republic

9

3

2

4

11

-5

6

North Korea

9

2

1

6

7

-10

 

When Poland scored twice via Piątek and Lewandowski away to the Czech Republic, it seemed their position in the Quarter Finals was assured. However, the Czechs clawed their way back into the game, and salvaged a draw. They could have won, which they needed to have any hope of progressing. It was their final passes in the latter stages that faltered, and the game petered out to a draw. The Dutch, needing to catch Costa Rica by defeating them twice, started with a 1-0 win, thanks to another slick goal from Frenkie de Jong, who manages to keep scoring for his national side. However, the Dutch found it hard to score in the second half, despite controlling much of the game, and this could work in Costa Rica’s favour in the return leg. The Netherlands’ other rival is Chile, who defeated North Korea by the two goals of left wing backer Oscar Opazo and goal kicking legend Nicolas Castillo. The second half was a consolidation affair over attacking, as the Chileans mentally were preparing for the reverse leg.

 

Should they win that, and Costa Rica not win, then Chile will reach the Quarter Finals. A draw for Chile and a win for the Dutch will then come down to goal difference (Costa Rica’s goal difference will cancel them out of contention). Costa Rica winning will account for their spot in the next stage, with even a chance to take first place. Chile could even slip above Poland if Poland lose, and so Lewandowski and his crew will ensure they win against the Czech Republic to solidify their place in the Quarter Finals.

 

The Nations League concluded for a range of nations this week.

 

 

Africa B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Algeria

4

3

1

0

10

+7

2

Morocco

4

1

1

2

4

-1

3

Niger

4

1

0

3

3

-6

Niger needed to win to remain in League B over Algeria. However, after a 5-0 drubbing in their previous encounter, and an early goal to Algeria’s Belhaili, it seemed unlikely. Niger finally found gaps in the Algerian defence late in the game, but with three missed shots, the closest they came smacked against the crossbar. Niger now fall to League C, and Algeria can take on the best in Africa in two years’ time.

 

 

Africa B2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Chad

4

2

1

1

7

-1

2

Sudan

4

2

0

2

6

+2

3

Zambia

4

1

1

2

4

-1

Sudan found themselves in a similar situation to Niger, only they needed a draw to remain in League B. Hosting Chad, who are guaranteed a League A place in the next installment, meant a tough task. However, two first-half goals for Sudan from Alhassan and Dafalla set up the win, before striker Al Sadig Adam ensured the full three points were theirs. This means Zambia is relegated to League C, and Sudan remains in League B thanks to two home wins.

 

 

Africa B3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Libya

4

3

0

1

9

0

2

Nigeria

4

1

1

2

4

+5

3

Cape Verde Islands

4

1

1

2

4

-5

A draw between Libya and the Cape Verde Islanders would mean promotion for the former and no relegation for the latter, thus sending former African powerhouse to League C. The draw seemed likely after the home side scored twice in the first half, until a goal either side of the break brought the Islanders back into the contest. Sensing a surprise win and thus jump into the promotion zone, Cape Verde attacked again, only to be caught off guard, as the Libyans scored twice in quick succession to put the game beyond any doubt. Libya will grace the halls of League A, whilst the Cape Verde Islands will battle in League C to return to the second tier in four years’ time.

 

 

Africa B4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Benin

4

3

0

1

9

+5

2

Malawi

4

2

0

2

6

-1

3

Rwanda

4

1

0

3

3

-4

Malawi started Match Day 6 intent on winning their match against Benin. For much of the first half, they dominated, but could not find the finishing touch. Then, in the deep end of the half, Benin caught the Malawian defence in the wrong half for a corner and capitalised on their chance via Cebio Soukou. Malawi still attacked, but it was clear by their body language that two goals needed was a task too great. Benin again scored in the 74th minute, this time thanks to substitute Yannick Aguemon, and the result was almost assured. The Malawians gallantly tried to break the drought, but when the final whistle blew, it was clear who deserved to rise to League A: Benin. Rwanda, already relegated, will fight in League C to return to the second tier for the third Nations League tournament.

 

 

Americas B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Trinidad and Tobago

6

4

2

0

14

+10

2

Nicaragua

6

2

2

2

8

+2

3

Barbados

6

1

2

3

5

-3

4

Cayman Islands

6

1

2

3

5

-7

Three goals in the first fifteen minutes helped Nicaragua defeat the Cayman Islands in the final Match Day. Two of those goals came from Juan Barrera, as his side fought to remain in League B. A fourth from substitute Brayan Torres helped complete their campaign on a high. However, the opposition turned their minds to the other game in Group B1, Barbados playing host to Trinidad and Tobago. Barbados stunned their opponents with a goal just after the half hour mark with a brilliant individual display from Kaeson Trench. Barbados continued to attack, collecting multiple chances. Finally, in the 87th minute, substitute Neveal Hackshaw equalised for the Trinidadians, much to the dismay of the home crowd. It mattered not, for their goal difference proved greater than the Cayman Islands, and they are not relegated to League C.

 

Trinidad and Tobago, despite coming first in the group will not play in League A in four years’ time. The Global Futbol powers, in consultation with both CONCACAF and South American officials, have decided to expand the Americas Nations League to contain four leagues. With the inclusion of six new nations, there are enough teams now to decrease the number to twelve for the higher leagues.

 

Global Futbol boss Ivanko Perisić explained, “The reason is the strain for nations, both South and North, to travel grand distances and play six matches over the course of the tournament. Four matches is more manageable, and we will alter the make up of the leagues to accommodate for these changes.

 

“We are disappointed,’ responded Trinidadian coach Dennis Lawrence. ‘We were promised that, if we won our League B group, we would be playing in League A for the next tournament. Now we have to play against these nations once again, whereas we have proved we are worthy to take on the likes of the South American giants of football.”

 

Lawrence was asked if legal action would be taken against Global Futbol and CONCACAF, but he declined to answer.

 

Barbados coach Ahmed Mohamed also saw the downside to the decision.

 

“It means, despite the result today, we will be joining the Cayman Islands in League C, whereas we proved our worth, just as our Trinidadian counterparts proved over the course of the Nations League.”

 

Talks are also in place to add another league to the Asian confederation, thus spreading the nations further across four leagues instead of three. Again, the main issue here is travel for six games, both home and away.

 

“We hope to create fixtures of games that will remain tight, as these nations of three are far closer in rankings than with the four,” added Perisić.

 

Time will tell of the fallout of these decisions.

 

 

Americas B2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cuba

6

4

0

2

12

+5

2

Panama

6

3

0

3

9

+2

3

Grenada

6

3

0

3

9

0

4

Guyana

6

2

0

4

6

-7

At the start of Match Day 6, Cuba was in the lead for advancing to League A. The Cubans, against Panama, worked down the right flank, eventually finding a gap in the strength of five in the Panamanian defence. Roberney Caballero coolly slotted along the ground, out of the reach of Luis Mejía, for the only goal of the match. Panama had a series of chances right at the death, but somehow the Cuban defenders held firm, and gained the crucial three points.

 

Meanwhile, Grenada hoped to claim first place as they travelled to Guyana. The Grenadians started well with an early goal via Antonio German. However, by halftime, Guyana had the lead, thanks to Jeffrey and Bonds. After the break, Vancooten made the score 3-1, and seemingly impossible for Grenada to win. A fightback ensued, with somehow the Guyana defence holding firm, until Aaron Pierre got it back to one goal with ten minutes remaining. It was not meant to be, as Bonds scored his second, and gave Guyana their second win for the tournament. Cuba finished first, and will look forward to the next installment against more of the North American elite.

 

The delayed matches of the Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers took place this fortnight.

 

 

 

Europe G

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Italy

8

5

1

2

16

+13

2

Israel

8

4

1

3

13

0

3

Hungary

8

4

0

4

12

-4

4

Czech Republic

8

3

0

5

9

-5

5

Estonia

8

2

2

4

8

-4

Italy had already confirmed their place in the Nations Cup, whilst the Czech Republic fought for some pride against Hungary in the final match of Europe’s Group G. The Czechs scored twice either side of the halftime break via Vonkova and Player of the Match Vyštejnová, before the Hungarians snagged one back. Rather than settling for their slim lead, the Czechs continued to attack, and netted a third goal to seal their third win for the campaign.

 

 

Europe D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Croatia

8

4

3

1

15

+9

2

Norway

8

4

3

1

15

+6

3

Wales

8

3

3

2

12

+2

4

Azerbaijan

8

1

4

3

7

-6

5

Georgia

8

1

1

6

4

-11

 

 

The dead rubber between Azerbaijan and Wales ended with a 1-1 draw, much the same as when they last played just over a month ago. Azerbaijan played for possession for much of the first half before they managed to attack in the second. Zhidkova tried twice to chip the Welsh goalkeeper, with the first being saved on the line by Roberts, before the second trickled into the goal. Sensing a loss, the Welsh rallied and scored in injury time via Vincze, and both teams left the campaign on a draw.

 

 

Europe E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Switzerland

8

5

1

2

16

+13

2

Turkey

8

5

1

2

16

+1

3

Finland

8

4

1

3

13

-2

4

Belarus

8

2

2

4

8

-4

5

Lithuania

8

1

1

6

4

-8

With three points separating the top three, Switzerland hosted bottom-placed Lithuania, and with a win would place pressure on Turkey to win away against Finland to remain top of the ladder and therefore advance into the Nations Cup. Finland could hypothetically qualify if they defeated Turkey by two goals or more and hope that Lithuania produced a draw or win over Switzerland.

 

It was not meant to be for Finland, as Switzerland fielded a highly attacking side, led by Crnogorčević and ably backed by Sow, both of whom scored in the first half. Lithuania worked back into the game in the second half, but failed to penetrate through the Swiss defence. Soon the Swiss put on the after burners, and Crnogorčević had her second, whilst substitute Ismaili also scored to leave the stadium four-nil. Things went against Finland even more in their own match as the Turkish Ecem Cümert slotted a header from a free kick in the third minute. The Fins went on the attack and peppered the Turkish goal, eventually leveling via Naumanen’s head. However, neither side could take control of the match in the second period. The game petered out to a draw, which allowed Switzerland to leap Turkey on the ladder and qualify for the Nations Cup.

 

 

Europe H

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Bosnia

8

5

2

1

17

+9

2

Serbia

8

4

2

2

14

+7

3

Scotland

8

4

1

3

13

-3

4

Denmark

8

2

2

4

8

+1

5

Latvia

8

1

1

6

4

-14

Bosnia only needed a draw to qualify for the Nations Cup, and four goals came their way against a poor Denmark, including two at the death from substitute Gačanica. That meant the match between Serbia and Latvia was a dead rubber, aside from Serbia being able to slip into second over Scotland. It did not look hopeful for Serbia as they only managed one shot on target out of seven in the first half. The second half saw a better performance as Lilić and Stanković both netted to give Serbia the three points and second place behind Bosnia.

 

 

 

Europe I

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Netherlands

7

5

1

1

16

+12

2

Romania

8

5

0

3

15

+3

3

Montenegro

7

3

0

4

9

-2

4

Austria

7

3

0

4

9

-3

5

Faroe Islands

7

1

1

5

4

-10

 

The Faroe Islanders failed to win at home against Romania, who kept the ball in their attacking third for long periods of time. That means Romania has secured second place behind the Netherlands, whilst the Faroe Islands has no way of leaping off bottom place.

 

 

 

Asia D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Korea

10

8

2

0

26

+18

2

Singapore

10

5

0

5

15

-4

3

Hong Kong

10

4

1

5

13

+6

4

Maldives

10

4

0

6

12

-4

5

Malaysia

10

3

2

5

11

-7

6

Myanmar

10

3

1

6

10

-9

South Korea, with one eye already on France, flew to Myanmar to record their eighth win for the tournament, defeating the hosts 1-0 thanks to a solid goal from Lee Geum-Min. Malaysia came from a goal down to overcome Hong Kong, even though the visitors had two chances to equalise at the death. Only two marvellous saves from goalkeeper Bakar kept out the shots, and Malaysia came away with the three points (a far cry from the five-nil defeat a month earlier). That win was enough to jump ahead of Myanmar, but not the Maldives, as the island nation defeated Singapore by two goals, reversing their loss a month before. The two goals came from Player of the Match Zahir and Rifa. Singapore held onto second place, and will now seek a chance at qualifying for the Women’s Asian Cup.

 

 

Asia C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Jordan

10

6

1

3

19

+8

2

North Korea

10

5

3

1

18

+10

3

Indonesia

10

3

4

3

13

0

4

Afghanistan

10

3

2

5

11

-3

5

Taiwan

10

2

4

4

10

-5

6

Sri Lanka

10

2

2

6

8

-10

 

As Jordan looked to the Playoffs against the UAE, they needed to play one final game against North Korea. It took until the 79th minute for anyone to score, with North Korea’s Ri Un-yong slotting into the net. Then, the hosts switched off, and the Jordanians capitalised on shoddy defence via the boot of Alia El Hawa. As all seemed to head to a draw, North Korean Ri Kyong-hyang melted her way through the midfield and shot from outside the box, past the goalkeeper and left North Korea with two wins to round out the tournament. Two goals to one was also the result between Taiwan and Sri Lanka in the battle for bottom. Michelle Pao and Wang Hsiang-Huei scored immediately after the break for Taiwan. However, substitute Thushani managed to snag one back. The Sri Lankans, though, could not find a second to square the match, and so Taiwan moved ahead of their opponents on the table. Indonesia’s one-goal win thanks to Susanti helped them bounce above their opponents in Afghanistan to third.

 

April 25

Invitational Cup

·  Macedonia 1 Portugal 1

·  Egypt 0 Brazil 0

·  Togo 1 South Korea 1

·  Ghana 3 New Zealand 0

·  France 3 Switzerland 2

·  Belgium 1 Spain 1

 

April 27

Invitational Cup

·  Netherlands 1 Costa Rica 0

·  Czech Republic 2 Poland 2

·  Chile 2 North Korea 0

·  Peru 1 Kenya 1

 

Nations League Match Day 6

Africa League B

·  Niger 0 Algeria 1

·  Sudan 3 Chad 0

·  Libya 4 Cape Verde Islands 2

·  Malawi 0 Benin 2

Americas League B

·  Nicaragua 4 Cayman Islands 0

·  Barbados 1 Trinidad and Tobago 1

·  Cuba 1 Panama 0

·  Guyana 4 Grenada 2

 

Women’s Futsal MD 16

Argentina 3-1 France

May 3

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Match Day extras

·  Azerbaijan 1 Wales 1

·  Switzerland 4 Lithuania 0

·  Finland 1 Turkey 1

·  Czech Republic 3 Hungary 1

·  Myanmar 0 South Korea 1

·  Malaysia 2 Hong Kong 1

·  Maldives 2 Singapore 0

·  North Korea 2 Jordan 1

·  Taiwan 2 Sri Lanka 1

·  Indonesia 1 Afghanistan 0

 

May 4

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Match Day extras

·  Faroe Islands 0 Romania 1

·  Bosnia 4 Denmark 0

·  Serbia 2 Latvia 0

 

Women’s Futsal MD 17

Morocco 2-1 France

Australia 2-3 Uruguay

Denmark 3-2 Spain

Iceland 2-1 Portugal

Argentina 3-1 Russia

South Korea 3-1 England

Sweden 2-2 Japan

Germany 2-1 Poland

Senegal 1-2 Brazil

Colombia 3-2 Serbia

 

 



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on May 6, 2019
Last Updated on May 6, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing