August 19 to 25, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

August 19 to 25, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

August 19 to 25, 2019

Continental Qualifiers continued this week.

 

In Africa, a series of half-hearted chances were the order of the first period between Lesotho and Rwanda. The best opportunity in the second half came from Sera Motebang, only to shoot wide of the mark. Very little shots took place after, and the game ended in a scoreless draw.

 

Sao Tome and Principe surprised 2018 World Cup side Libya with Ludgério Silva‘s header, allowing the home side to take the lead. Harramiz Soares nearly made it two goals just a few minutes later, but to no avail. In the second half, Jeecimilson Tati came on and snagged the second for the home side after a lovely shot from Luís Leal needed an Ahmed Azzaqa parry. This was Sao Tome’s first win for the Qualifiers, and placed them ahead of a hapless Kenyan team at the halfway stage.

 

 

AFCON Q Group H

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Rwanda

4

3

1

0

10

+3

2

Lesotho

4

2

1

1

7

0

3

Libya

4

2

0

2

6

0

4

Sao Tome and Principe

4

1

1

2

4

0

5

Kenya

4

0

1

3

1

-3

 

In the Burundi and Cameroon match, the away side, buoyed by their Nations League victory, scored first via Frank Zambo Anguissa. Mohamed Amissi should have equalised, only to hit the post and the ball to run along the line, before André Onana cleared it. In the second half, Cédric Amissi also had a chance to level, but somehow the Cameroon defence held firm. Both sides had two effective shots on goal, though to no effect on the scoreline, and Cameroon kept their perfect record over Group I.

 

Mauritius hosted Senegal in a fight for a crucial second place. Senegal looked better in attack, although Mauritius had the better chance of the first half, where Adrien François almost scored beyond Edouard Mendy. Kelson Agathe should have scored, only for Mendy to save again, before the rebound shot of Jean Halsey Patate was blocked. Patate should have scored at the end, only to miss the open corner available to him. In the end, the stalemate gave Mauritius their first points, and Senegal second place, but five points behind leaders Cameroon. A win for Cameroon against Senegal in the next Match Day will guarantee AFCON qualification.

 

 

AFCON Q Group I

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cameroon

3

3

0

0

9

+4

2

Senegal

3

1

1

1

4

+1

3

Burundi

3

1

0

2

3

-2

4

Mauritius

3

0

1

2

1

-3

 

Equatorial Guinea needed a win against South Africa, and they had the earliest chance via Emilio Nsue. Lebo Mothiba, however, had other ideas, and scored early to give South Africa the advantage. Mothiba had another chance to score, though Felipe Ovono was up to the task. In the second half, Josete Miranda nearly chipped the South African goalkeeper, and Pablo Ganet won a crucial header off a corner at the death. It mattered little as South Africa won their third match in a row.

 

Uganda needed a victory against South Sudan to gain second place at the halfway stage, and nearly had the lead when Faruku Miya stole the ball. Unluckily, his shot hit the South Sudanese goalkeeper. Miya had another chance, and consecutive corners twisted the screws on the visitors’ defence. But from there, both sides had only one more decent chance each, only for the ball to sail wide, and a scoreless draw ensued.

 

 

AFCON Q Group J

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Africa

3

3

0

0

9

+8

2

South Sudan

3

1

1

1

4

-5

3

Uganda

3

0

2

1

2

-1

4

Equatorial Guinea

3

0

1

2

1

-2

 

Egypt started well against Guinea-Bissau, with Ahmed Hassan opening the scoring. His first shot hit the post, before he caught the ball bouncing back to him and slotted it home. The home side worked back into the game, mainly using the wings with legitimate crosses. Eventually, Piqueti found himself with an equaliser, and it was game on! Late in the match, João Mário had two attempts with his head, but could not bypass the goalkeeper. Then Guinea-Bissau should have scored, but the Egyptian defence held firm. Ahmed Hassan then pocketed his second and it was game over.

 

As for Eritrea, Robel Asfaha nearly scored against Morocco. Youssef En Nesyri then had two attempts, but the Eritrean goalkeeper thwarted both. Morocco tightened the screws in the first half. En Nesyri then stopped the ball and somehow kept possession of it away from the goalkeeper, before slotting into the open goal. Two more chances went wide as the Moroccans finished the game on top.

 

 

AFCON Q Group K

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Egypt

3

2

1

0

7

+6

2

Morocco

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Eritrea

3

1

0

2

3

-3

4

Guinea-Bissau

3

1

0

2

3

-3

 

The Democratic Republic of Congo hosted Mozambique in Group L. Jonathan Bolingi make three unsuccessful attacks on goal, before his fourth produced a wonderful goal. The home side nearly scored a second through a series of semi-shots in quick succession. Arthur Masuaku did get their second in the 49th minute, and from there the Congolese held firm. Bolingi scored a brace to cap a three-goal win for his side and a genuine chance for AFCON qualification.

 

Somalia looked better than their ranking appeared against Mali, with Omar Abdullahi Mohamed and Abdulsamed Ahmed Abdullahi having minor chances. As the hour mark approached, the crowd and players thought Anwar Sidali Shakunda was brought down in the box, but the referee waved off the partial protests. Mohamed Camara could have won the game for the visitors, but his shot sailed to the right of goal. Instead, it was Souleymane Diarra who scored for Mali after the Somalian goalkeeper was found well out of position. That goal placed Mali on top of Group L at the halfway stage.

 

 

AFCON Q Group L

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Mali

4

3

1

0

10

+4

2

Congo DR

4

3

0

1

9

+5

3

Central African Rep.

4

1

1

2

4

-1

4

Somalia

4

1

0

3

3

-4

5

Mozambique

4

1

0

3

3

-4

 

 

Northwards in Europe’s Group E, Jasmin Kurtič pocketed a goal against San Marino after Tim Matavž’s header knocked the crossbar, then the goalkeeper’s back. Benjamin Verbič then had a couple of attempts before scoring in the 52nd minute. Kurtič just missed a quality chance, and Rene Khrin’s header went straight to the keeper. Right at the death, Verbič grabbed a brace, and the 3-0 scoreline looked better and more accurate over the level of Slovenia’s dominance.

 

Estonia hosted England, where both sides had opportunities to score. Callum Hudson-Odoi finally got England off the mark, needing two attempts before netting in the 38th minute. Erik Sorga had two headers to equalise early in the second half, only to hit the crossbar on the first and send the ball over the top of the goal with the second. Later, he hit the right hand post with a low shot. Ilja Antonov ended up scoring from the passage after the corner. Estonia won another corner, and this time Sorga scored, taking the home side into the lead. Substitute Mason Mount brought the game level again. A tense eighteen minutes ensued, but neither side could find the finishing blow, and the game ended 2-2. England have now drawn three games out of three, and are in danger of not qualifying should this trend continue.

 

Cedric Itten scored early for Switzerland over Lithuania and nearly chipped the goalkeeper for a second. He also headed from the corner, only to fire wide. Fedor Černych should have equalised, but his shot hit the post. Itten also popped the top of the crossbar, where the ball bounced on top of it twice, yet remained in play. Christian Fassnacht then got onto a loose Itten shot and took the Swiss to a two-goal lead. He nearly had a second straight after the break. Šetkus, Lithuania’s goalkeeper, managed to keep out a fourth, but the Swiss know this win takes them to second place and in the running to qualify for Euro 2020 from Group E, whereas England sit fourth, and Lithuania hold up the rest of the teams above them.

 

In Group F, Northern Ireland flew to the Faroe Islands and scored early via Jordan Thompson. Joan Edmundsson finally got close to a goal in the second half, only for Bailey Peacock-Farrell to save the ball. Midfielder Brandur Olsen also came close, but to no avail. Klamint Olsen received a long ball late and unfortunately sent the ball over the bar. Solvi Vatnhamar should have equalised with his attempt, but could not. Peacock-Farrell made an awesome double-save in additional time, and helped his side hold on to a vital away win.

 

Hungary looked sharp early against Greece, but poor defence allowed Greek striker Anastasios Bakasetas to place the visitors up by a goal early. Bakasetas again scored early in the second half and set up a wondrous win for the Greeks. Hungarian substitute Roland Varga pegged a goal back, first by firing at goal, then by heading home the cross. It would not be enough, though, and Hungary felt a solid three points escape their grasp.

 

Group G’s Russia, buoyed by their recent wins, gained the upper hand early with opportunities from both Dzyuba and Ionov. France’s Steve Mandanda gave away a penalty on Aleksey Miranchuk, and the attacking midfielder ensured the home side had the upper hand. Dzyuba had another chance, but could not gain Russia’s second. The striker should have scored again, twice, before being substituted. Magomed Ozdoev also had his sights on goal, but in the end, the penalty was all that was needed to overcome the French, who looked poor in their attacking third.

 

The bottom of the group clash between Moldova and Liechtenstein was vital for both sides to gain points. Artur Ioniţă gained a volley chance early, only to send it straight to the goalkeeper. Eugeniu Cociuc and Liechtenstein’s Martin Büchel both missed their chances, and Radu Gînsari’s header late needed another goalkeeping parry. In the second half, Ioniţă caught onto a goalkeeping parry and sent the home side ahead. Cociuc did not make any mistake as his header caught Ctlin Carp’s cross and found the back of the net. Cociuc gained a brace as his shot bounced off the right post and into goal, and Moldova started their point scoring in Group G.

 

In Group H, Italy hosted Bulgaria. It was a mostly uneventful first half, with the second half pretty much replicating the first, until Federico Chiesa stole the ball and passed to Lorenzo Insigne, only for Petar Zanev to get in the way. Chiesa also set up Jorginho, only for the shot to sail wide. Instead, Bulgaria counterattacked and scored via Galin Ivanov, and won a crucial three points.

 

With the group shaken by that result, Croatia took on Azerbaijan in Azerbaijan, with 35 ranks separating them. Croatia sat deep early as Azerbaijan played boring possession. Qara Qarayev had a shot early in the second half, but to no avail. Instead, Ramil Şeydayev scored, Perišić had a chance to level, only his shot flew to the left of goal. Vusal İsgondorli missed also to the left when he tried to double the lead. The final minute of regular time brought about a goal for Bruno Petković, and Group H continued to be the “Group of Draws”.

 

In Group I, both Albania and Montenegro had plenty of chances in the first half. Klaus Gjasula bookended the half with chips that missed. Kristi Qose also missed an easy header off a corner ball. Feros Beqairaj nearly bypassed goalkeeper Etrit Berisha, only for the Albanian to smother the ball. In the second half, Rey Manaj should have volleyed the goal after a perfect cross from Ermir Lenjani, but missed to the right. Instead, Stefan Mugoša scored to give the visitors a vital lead. The Montenegrins held on, and will look to shake things up in Group I.

 

Christian Ronaldo and Bernardo Silva had chances to take Portugal into the lead by the break against Serbia, though their shots failed them. In the 67th minute, Christian Ronaldo finally scored, giving Portugal the edge. However, Serbia got a goal back via the header of Adam Ljajić. André Silva nearly scored, but shot with his left instead of his right, and it gave goalkeeper Predrag Rajković enough time to dive and save. Bruma should have scored from the corner, but missed to the left. A draw was the final result, keeping Serbia right on top of the group.

 

Armenia hosted Denmark and started the game well, with Artak Grigoryan scoring just before the half hour mark. With their back five, defensive-minded midfielders, and working down the wings, Armenia kept possession for long periods. Both sides had chances, but could not hit the back of the net. Then, right at the death, Lasse Schøne levelled the scores, much to the disappointment of the home side. That goal secured Denmark’s first point for the campaign, and gives them a glimmer of hope at qualifying for Euro 2020.

 

The two countries on the same island, Haiti and the Dominican Republic, started off the Copa America Qualifiers for this week. In a first half riddled with yellow cards, the only proper chance came from Haitian Frantzdy Pierro, with his header from a corner hitting the crossbar. After the break, the home side tightened the screws, only for the Dominican Republic to catch them on the counterattack and score in the 72nd minute via Ronaldo Vásquez’s shot hitting the post and trickling into the open goal. Haiti felt disappointed, having drawn their previous three games to lose a crucial home game, whilst the away side now have six points and are in the hunt for second place.

 

Also vying for second place is Panama, who hosted neighbours Colombia. Colombia looked sluggish after their Nations League win, and it was Panama who scored first in the fifteenth minute via Fidel Escobar. Colombia then worked back into the match and scored twice, first thanks to a John Medina finish after a scramble in the box, then Frank Fabra earned a penalty from Adolfo Machado, which Steven Mendoza coolly slotted home. Colombia continued to strike for goal, only for the Panamanian defence to hold firm in dire situations. Finally, Panama got time to attack, and in the 86th minute, substitute Armando Cooper’s right boot found the back of the net, ending the game in a vital draw.

 

Group A’s Venezuela flew to Puerto Rico, where a tight game ensued. Venezuela’s Wuilker Fariñez kept a clean sheet with three crucial saves early in the second half, and two more when Puerto Rico were seeking an equaliser. That surge was thanks to Yefersen Soltedo’s header in the 68th minute. Venezuela held on for a vital away win and top spot in the group.

 

Cuba put on a true team display against the Bahamas as together they helped Maykel Reyes score a hat trick inside the first ten minutes. However, it was Reyes’ fourth that had the crowd truly on their feet after he faked around two defenders and coolly shot into the net. Reyes grabbed a fifth goal for himself before the half, and that is how the scoreline remained for the second half. Cuba now sit in second place behind Venezuela, although Mexico have only played two games thus far.

 

In Group B, Guatemala were denied by the woodwork three times as Jorge Vargas’ goal was the only score for the match against Suriname. Vargas dived low, reaching his head to the ball, and angled it into the gap to goal. However, the World Cup nation could not find anymore, although they had control of the game with constant successful tackles, thwarting any Suriname advances beyond halfway.

 

Canada finally gained their first points with an away win over the US Virgin Islands. Scott Arfield opened the scoring, before Alphonso Davies also used his head to put the Canadians up two goals at the break. However, wayward and poor offsides from the Canadians prevented any more goals, and the hosts felt content they only gave away two goals, as they sit on the bottom of Group B.

 

Group C’s Aruba finally gained their first point for the Qualifiers, as they hosted a scoreless draw against Nicaragua. Player of the Mach Bryan Rodríguez kept out Anuar Kock, Joshua Santana and Terence Groothusen. Carlos Chavarria had the only shot for the Nicaraguans, and hit the woodwork.

 

Belize also gained their first points with a lucky own goal, as El Salvadorian Ivan Mancia’s pass to his goalkeeper was found wanting. El Salvador looked the better side for long periods of the match, with Juan Portillo’s shot being the best opportunity. However, Belize, buoyed by the fortunate goal, took charge of the last minutes and held on for a vital win. Darrel Myvette played well with two excellent attempts on goal, pairing down the left flank with Player of the Match Amilton Santana.

 

Substitute Tyler Boyd’s brace helped Group D’s USA overcome Barbados despite a lacklustre first hour by the home side. The first half was riddled with half chances and plenty of offsides. Only Joshua Sargent had the closest opportunity, with his header hitting the frame of the goal. Boyd came off the bench and scored with both of his feet, giving the home side something to cheer about. Weston McKennie then needed two attempts at goal to slot home the Americans’ third goal, finishing the game with a scoreline expected of the North Americans.

 

Joining the Americans and Barbados on seven points is Chile, who needed a little luck and plucky defence to defeat the Cayman Islands. Chile scored a necessary, and expected, away goal via Christian Bravo. However, the Cayman Islanders played without fear and worked back into the match. Two key chances came their way either side of the break, with Theron Wood’s kick against the post being the better of the two. Chile had a second goal via Mauricio Isla, but the home side were not bothered. They continued attacking, and Wood pegged back a goal. Claudio Bravo needed to make a crucial save at the end after the shot deflected off defenders and popped into the air. Chile and the USA have a three game buffer over Barbados, and are likely to be the top two sides.

 

In Group E, Bermuda thought they had snatched an away win against Paraguay when Reggie Lambe headed home a beautiful goal in additional time; however, Paraguay’s Adrian Cubas managed to sneak one from long range and salvage a point for the South Americans. Earlier, Paraguay’s relentless attacking led to a Ramon Martínez goal before Osagi Bascombe’s shot came off the goalkeeper’s arm and bobbled into the goal.

 

St Kitts and Nevis achieved their first three points against Trinidad and Tobago, thanks to first half goals from Gvuane Amory and Tishan Hanley. Hanley then grabbed a second goal in the 73rd minute, another long pass to his fast run and beating the keeper with a solid shot, to give Trinidad and Tobago a true scare, and the possibility of not qualifying for the Copa America.

 

Group F’s Jamaica flew to Montserrat and scored inside three minutes via Bobby Reird to assert their dominance. However, Montserrat certainly worked together to peg back a goal, but it was their lack of skill in the final third that let them down, as Jamaica gained their second win from three games.

 

Glenville Rogers and the Anguillans caught Uruguay off guard as the striker scored in the 20th minute. That propelled the Uruguayans into gear, and Luis Suárez scissor kicked for goal five minutes later. Then, seven minutes after the break, Suárez had another, and Uruguay breezed to an away win, giving Anguilla their first loss after four draws. Both Uruguay and Jamaica now chase Grenada, who are five points ahead, but have played two less games than the Group F leaders.

 

Curacao found themselves holding on in defence as hosts Costa Rica attacked with true relent. It took an additional first-half goal via Marvin Angulo to finally crack the Curacao defence. Again, Costa Rica attacked, but were impatient and could not finish well enough. Late in the match, substitute Jeikel Venegas was free at the penalty spot and slotted Costa Rica’s second, moving the Central American side equal on points with Brazil.

 

Dominica also attacked constantly against St Vincent and the Grenadines, and managed an early goal via Julian Wade. However, the visitors managed to keep the Dominicans in check, and not allow another goal to enter the net. Dominica sit on top of Group G, with an extra game played compared with their St Vincent and the Grenadines, Brazil and Costa Rica.

 

In Group I, a dull game ensued between Bolivia and Honduras. Only Jhasmani Campos and Alejandro Chumacero had any positive shots, only for both to miss wide of the mark.

 

As for Argentina hosting the British Virgin Islands, the opposite took hold as Argentina nailed nine goals past the side ranked 191st. Two goals inside the first six minutes from Paulo Dybala and Leandro Paredes set the mark for the day. Lionel Messi scored before half time, but the only shining light for the British Virgin Islands, Phillip Graham, kept thirteen shots at bay. After the hour mark, Dybala scored his second goal, before left midfielder Rodrigo de Paul joined in on the action (and was awarded Player of the Match with three assists as well). Paredes also scored his second before substitutes Lautaro Martínez and Nicolas González scored the final three between them to finish off a wondrous second half.

 

August 22

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

Top 2 Qualify

Six Best Third-Place Qualify

Group E

·  Slovenia 3 San Marino 0

·  Estonia 2 England 2

·  Switzerland 3 Lithuania 0

Group F

·  Faroe Islands 0 Northern Ireland 1

·  Hungary 1 Greece 2

Group G

·  Russia 1 France 0

·  Moldova 3 Liechtenstein 0

Group H

·  Italy 0 Bulgaria 1

·  Azerbaijan 1 Croatia 1

Group I

·  Albania 0 Montenegro 1

·  Portugal 1 Serbia 1

·  Armenia 1 Denmark 1

AFCON Qualifiers

First Qualifies

Second in Groups H, K, L Qualify

Two worst second-placed teams do not qualify

Group H

·  Lesotho 0 Rwanda 0

·  Sao Tome and Principe 2 Libya 0

Group I

·  Burundi 0 Cameroon 1

·  Mauritius 0 Senegal 0

Group J

·  Equatorial Guinea 0 South Africa 1

·  Uganda 0 South Sudan 0

Group K

·  Guinea-Bissau 1 Egypt 2

·  Eritrea 0 Morocco 1

Group L

·  Congo DR 3 Mozambique 0

·  Somalia 0 Mali 1

 

Copa America Qualifiers

First in Group Qualifies

Lowest two second-place miss out.

Group H

·  Haiti 0 Dominican Republic 1

·  Panama 2 Colombia 2

Group I

·  Bolivia 0 Honduras 0

·  Argentina 9 British Virgin Islands 0

Group A

·  Puerto Rico 0 Venezuela 1

·  Cuba 5 Bahamas 0

Group B

·  Guatemala 1 Suriname 0

·  US Virgin Islands 0 Canada 2

Group C

·  Belize 1 El Salvador 0

·  Aruba 0 Nicaragua 0

Group D

·  USA 3 Barbados 0

·  Cayman Islands 1 Chile 2

Group E

·  Paraguay 2 Bermuda 2

·  St Kitts and Nevis 3 Trinidad and Tobago 0

Group F

·  Montserrat 0 Jamaica 1

·  Anguilla 1 Uruguay 2

Group G

·  Costa Rica 2 Curacao 0

·  Dominica 1 St Vincent and the Grenadines 0



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on February 17, 2020
Last Updated on February 17, 2020

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing