May 27 to June 2, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

May 27 to June 2, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

May 27 to June 2, 2019

 

The long-awaited conclusion to the Second Stage of the Invitational Cup took place this week.

Invitational Cup Tables

Top Two Qualify for Quarter Final Stage

 

Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Russia

8

5

1

2

16

+4

2

Ghana

8

4

3

1

15

+7

3

Portugal

8

3

3

2

12

+4

4

New Zealand

8

2

1

5

7

-6

5

North Macedonia

8

1

2

5

5

-9

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Christian Atsu scored against New Zealand in much the same way as their previous encounter, as did Jordan Ayew in the second half, after the Ghanaians had hit the woodwork three times in quick succession. Wedged between the two Ghanaian goals was Jai Ingham’s lovely header straight after the break. With the lead, Ghana looked set to take the full three points and leap over Russia on the table. However, New Zealand could not finish with their sixth loss of the tournament, and so largely thanks to substitute Alex Rufer’s run down the left wing and cross, Andre De Jong managed to head the ball in the net and end the game in a trying draw.

 

In a dead rubber, newly named North Macedonia scored first via Goran Pandev’s head. This propelled the Portuguese into gear, and they dominated the rest of the first half, including a goal from left back Raphaël Guerreiro. The home side continued their dominance, piling on three more goals from Dyego Sousa, Cristiano Ronaldo and substitute Pizzi to round out their Invitational Cup campaign with the score 4-1, largely thanks to Player of the Match Danilo Pereira and his two assists, the most dribbles and equal highest tackles.

 

Russia and Ghana progress to the Quarter Finals.

 

 

 

Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Brazil

8

4

3

1

15

+10

2

Switzerland

8

4

2

2

14

+6

3

France

8

3

3

2

12

+3

4

Italy

8

2

2

4

8

-3

5

Egypt

8

0

4

4

4

-16

Switzerland and France both knew they were playing for a place in the Quarter Finals, as there was little chance Brazil would lose to Egypt at home. Ngolo Kanté had a chance to score early, but pipped the outside of the post. From there, the Swiss dominated, culminating in two goals in three minutes. The first was a Remo Freuler header off a corner. The second was a comedy of errors, before Benjamin Pavard gifted Breel Embolo the ball with only the goalkeeper in the way, and he slotted it easily. The Swiss took the foot off the pedal, and France just before the break caught them unawares, with Oliver Giroud sneaking a header over an advancing Yann Sommer. Still celebrating, the French defence left clear gaps, which Switzerland capitalised and striker Albian Ajeti powered home a left footer one minute later. With the score 3-1 at halftime, it seemed likely for the goals to keep raining. However, the only goal for the second period came by Giroud, again, as he chipped with the outside of his left boot, curling the ball into the goal. From there, neither side gave an inch, and Switzerland not only won the game in a reversal of the scoreline from their previous encounter, but also ensured a Quarter Final berth.

 

Egypt rested players in preparation for The African Cup of Nations Qualifiers, and their second-string players showed a lack of squad depth as Allan opened the scoring in the second minute. Philippe Coutinho then scored twice in quick succession, followed by goals from Richarlison, Roberto Firmino, Casemiro and Lucas Paquetá to round out the half. Seven goals to nothing increased to eight with Richarlison’s easy tap in, before Philippe Coutinho received the ball off a keeping save and banged home for his hat trick (after having assisted twice as well).

 

One can understand not sending top Egyptian players to Brazil, to save them for their game against Morocco in Rabat, but such a big loss could undo the players’ confidence and give Morocco a true advantage in what will be a tight qualification group.

 

Brazil and Switzerland, meanwhile, advance to the Quarter Finals, where Brazil will host another Africa nation, Ghana, whilst Switzerland will travel north to Russia, full of hope in making the Semi Finals.

 

 

Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Spain

10

6

2

2

20

+21

2

Belgium

10

5

3

2

18

+6

3

Togo

10

4

2

4

14

-3

4

South Korea

10

3

3

4

12

+7

5

Peru

10

2

3

5

9

-11

6

Kenya

10

2

3

5

9

-17

 

Just like their last encounter, South Korea and Togo looked set to play out a one-all draw, after the Togolese showed their intent by scoring early through Gilles Sunu, before Korean Kim Moon-Hwan equalised with his head in quick reply. From there, neither side would allow the other to penetrate deep. Then, against the run of play, Togo attacked, leading to a lucky but timely goal for Alaixys Romao. Na Sangho had a header late to equalise, and keep third place on the table, but the ball smacked the bottom of the right hand post, and Togo played for possession. The end result: third place for Togo, giving them the perfect foundation to take on Ghana in the AFCON Qualifiers, before a breather until the end of July.

 

Spain and Belgium played in the second to last match of Group C, with the winner taking first place and gaining a home Quarter Final. It was clear Spain would be the winner from the outset, with three goals in 50 minutes, largely thanks to Canales, Rodri Hernández and Álvaro Morata. The latter then scored his second in a near-whitewash of their European opponents, before Eden Hazard managed to snag one goal back to save some face.

 

The battle for fifth was on as well, although Kenya needed to score four goals to have any chance of catching Peru. However, Yordy Reyna found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, and chipped the ball over to open the scoring. Two minutes later, it was Juma, as in their last encounter, who leveled the score. After the break, neither side could find the winning goal, until captain Victor Wanyama attacked, won a corner, and then whilst defence looked elsewhere, scored with his header to give the Kenyans a great way to complete their tournament, even if they finished bottom of the group.

 

 

Group D

Pl

W

D

L

Points

GD

1

Poland

10

6

2

2

20

+8

2

Costa Rica

10

5

1

4

16

+1

3

Chile

10

4

2

4

14

+4

4

Netherlands

10

3

4

3

13

+3

5

Czech Republic

10

3

2

5

11

-7

6

North Korea

10

3

1

6

10

-9

With three games on three different continents, it was impossible to have all games played at the same time. The first match, held in Pyongyang, would determine slightly how other teams played out their final match. Chile needed to at least draw in their away game against the North Koreans, but could not find a way to goal, as the right back’s Sim Hyon-Jin’s goal proved the difference between the two sides. 

 

That meant that Poland was assured a spot in the Quarter Finals, and played accordingly against the Czech Republic. Both sides had opportunities in the first half, including shots that came off the woodwork. However, in the second half, Jaukb Błaszczykowski found himself with miles of space, and ran in towards goal and scored. Then, in the 82nd minute, Robert Gumny rose to meet a perfect cross and nailed the header past the goalkeeper.

 

The Chile result, however, had an effect on the Costa Rica and Netherlands match. The Costa Ricans, with three points adrift of the Dutch, knew a draw would be enough to qualify. The home side sought a goal as often as they could, with the Dutch defence holding out. However, towards the latter stages, Costa Rica played for possession, denying the Netherlands any real time on the ball. The match ended in a scoreless draw, and with that, any chance of a Netherlands Quarter Final berth.

 

Poland will host Belgium in the Quarter Finals, whilst Costa Rica will traverse to Spain.

 

The Men’s Nations League concluded for a range of teams this week.

 

 

Europe C3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Croatia

6

3

3

0

12

+6

2

Bosnia

6

3

2

1

11

+3

3

Scotland

6

2

1

3

7

-2

4

Faroe Islands

6

1

0

5

3

-7

 

Scotland hosted Bosnia in their final match, whilst Croatia flew to the Faroe Islands. The Scots and Bosnia both had chances in the first half, but could not break the deadlock. Then, in the second half, Stephen O’Donnell, being the last man in defence, mistimed a challenge and the referee issued him a red card. Down to ten players, the Scots countered against the run of play down the left wing, and striker Callum Paterson headered sweetly into the net. At this point, the home side should have altered their formation to fill the void left by O’Donnell. Their failure to do so left Bosnia free to exploit the gap down the left wing, allowing Goran Zakarić to come off the bench to header and hit the inside of the post and into the goal. The Scots reshuffled, but in still adjusting to the new defensive formation, could not stop a second Bosnia goal from Edin Džeko, and the away team won decisively, especially after some steely defence in the final moments of the match.

 

All eyes turned to the result between the Faroe Islands and Croatia, where the Croats had an early lead, thanks to a turn into the goal from Ivan Rakitić after the ball was parried straight to him. From there, a tight tussle in midfield ensued, with both sides having opportunities to score, but unable to pull the killer blow. Then, a second yellow card given to Andrej Kramarić suggested a turn of the tide just as the Scotland-Bosnia match. The Faroe Islanders hit the woodwork twice, before a miss by Heini Vatnsdal left Croatia as one-nil winners, and a place in League B for the next installment. The Faroe Islands, now reduced to League D, have fallen from their Round of 16 World Cup status in a large way.

 

 

Europe C4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Georgia

6

2

3

1

9

+1

2

North Macedonia

6

2

2

2

8

+2

3

Northern Ireland

6

2

2

2

8

+1

4

Malta

6

0

5

1

5

-4

Malta worked their way back into the contest against Georgia, who kept attacking relentlessly. This was even after scoring first via Giorgi Kvilitaia. Malta then responded with their only shot on goal for the first half through Matthew Guillaumier’s header. Malta then sought to upset the order and had three opportunities late in the game, but two were thwarted by the woodwork, before the game ended in a one-all draw. That meant Northern Ireland also only needed a draw against North Macedonia. It seemed like the North Irish would score early, especially when they hit the post twice, including Kyle Lafferty’s shot in the 44th minute. The second half turned around for the North Macedonians, as they took charge of the game and attacked mostly down the left wing. This opened a chance in the middle for Boban Nikolov, who dribbled around defenders and fired into the goal. Kire Markovski then led onto a through ball from his fellow bench-starter Kirce Ristevski and tapped the ball with his first touch beyond the keeper. Then, in a surprise that saw North Macedonia overtake Northern Ireland on the ladder due to goal difference, a third goal assisted by Markovski and taken by Stefan Ristovski ensured the home side the win and an impeccable finish to their Nations League campaign. Georgia, with the draw, is promoted to league B, whilst Malta’s fall from 2014 World Cup winners rounds out with relegation to League D.

 

 

Europe D1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

San Marino

6

4

0

2

12

0

2

Montenegro

6

3

2

1

11

+8

3

Estonia

6

2

2

2

8

+3

4

Moldova

6

1

0

5

3

-11

 

Montenegro needed an away win to have any hope of lifting to League C. They started well against Moldova, who had only three points under their belt. With a little pressure on the Moldovan defence, Stefan Mugoša managed a cracking goal after Fatos Bećiraj helped him into a gap. However, the Moldovans attacked, and immediately leveled with Ctlin Carp’s header. Then, Mugoša caught hold of a poor keeping error and gave his side the lead again right on the stroke of half time. The home team, in part, dominated the second half, but they could not find a definitive way to goal, and Montenegro gained that crucial away victory. However, San Marino showed how much they have progressed with two quick goals in the first half against Estonia. Filippo Berardi scored first, attacking from right midfield, before striker Matteo Vitaioli increased the lead. As halftime approached, Estonia snagged one back from Henrik Ojamaa, but San Marino continued to attack, hitting the crossbar right before the whistle for the break. The home side kept up the attack, unable to find that third goal. Estonia did have an opportunity to level late, but the header from Kuusk was off target, and San Marino remained top of the group and into League C.

 

 

Europe D2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Luxembourg

6

4

1

1

13

+6

2

Iceland

6

3

0

3

9

+3

3

Andorra

6

3

0

3

9

-2

4

Gibraltar

6

1

1

4

4

-7

Luxembourg played host to Andorra in Match Day 6, with a draw all that was needed for the home side. The first half had zero shots at goal, but soon the home crowd buoyed Luxembourg to attack in the second half, and eventually a goal came via striker Turpel. That goal was enough for Luxembourg to take the full three points and thus a place in League C. Iceland’s four-nil victory over Gibraltar propelled them to second place behind Luxembourg, thanks largely to a brace from Albert Gudmundsson.

 

 

Europe D3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Greece

6

5

1

0

16

+10

2

Liechtenstein

6

3

0

3

9

-1

3

Azerbaijan

6

1

2

3

5

-3

4

Monaco

6

1

1

4

4

-6

Greece rounded out their Nations League campaign also with a four-nil win, though it was on Monaco’s home ground. That result paved the way for Azerbaijan to lift off the bottom of the group. Goals were hard to come by until confusion in the penalty box led to an awarded (and converted) penalty for Azerbaijan. From there, they played for the one-nil win, and that is how it remained.

 

 

Africa C1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Burkina Faso

4

3

1

0

10

+6

2

Madagascar

4

1

1

2

4

-3

3

Liberia

4

1

0

3

3

-3

With Liberia already relegated, the battle for first place between Burkina Faso and Madagascar rounded out Group C1. Burkina Faso gained momentum of the match and scored through Préjuce Nakoulma in the 28th minute. The visitors had two chances in the second half to level, but a save from goalkeeper Kouakou Koffi and a clearance on the line from the resulting corner kept the Burkina Faso advantage. Then, two more goals in three minutes came the way of Nakoulma, first a header from a corner, followed by a brilliant Aristide Bancé assist, that ensured Burkina Faso top spot and a place in League B for the next tournament.

 

 

Africa C2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Angola

6

2

3

1

9

+1

2

Central African Republic

6

2

2

2

8

+4

3

Congo

6

2

2

2

8

-4

4

Gambia

6

1

3

2

6

-1

Angola and the Gambia fought out a scoreless draw, despite the home side having all the momentum of the first half. The second half was a tighter affair with Player of the Match Moudou Jobe saving seven times throughout the match, but neither side could finish off their opponents. Both nations had to wait to see the result in the other game to determine their place in the Nations League for 2020-21. The Angolans breathed sighs of relief on the sideline every time they heard the Central African Republic side scored a goal. First it was Eloge Enza-Yamissi who scored a brilliant header. Two more goals came in the first half, thanks to Louis Mafouta and Thibaut Ban. The Congolese looked to wrestle some form back after the break as the Central Africans eased off, but then the home side pressured and scored twice more via Player of the Match Vianney Madibé and Franklin Anzité, the latter who claimed a touch off Dylan Mboumbouni’s shot. The five goals for the win were impeccable, and not only kept the Central African Republic in League C, but they took second place behind Angola. The Gambia will have to fight other League D nations in the hope of returning to the third tier in four years’ time.

 

 

Africa C3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Senegal

6

5

0

1

15

+9

2

Equatorial Guinea

6

3

1

2

10

+2

3

Botswana

6

2

0

4

6

-7

4

eSwatini

6

1

1

4

4

-4

After defeating Botswana by three goals, eSwatini needed to defeat top-placed Senegal on away surface. It was not meant to be, for even a second-string Senegalese side dominated from start to finish. Despite an early Keita Baldé goal, the crossbar and some tight, feisty defence kept the score at one-nil. Then, Baldé scored his second goal early after the break, all but assuring the result of Senegal’s fifth win from six matches. The battle for second place was over by halftime as Equatorial Guinea piled on five goals against a hapless Botswana, who will need to improve in time for the African Cup of Nations and World Cup Qualifiers before returning to the Nations League. Equatorial Guinea had four different goal scorers, plus a Fortunate Thulare own goal that came from a pass to an unaware Ezekiel Morake. eSwatini will have to battle in League D to attempt to bounce back into the third tier, whereas Senegal are coming strong in time for the aforementioned Qualifiers and a fight in League B.

 

 

 

Africa C4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Uganda

6

3

2

1

11

-1

2

Tanzania

6

3

1

2

10

+3

3

Mauritius

6

3

0

3

9

+6

4

Zimbabwe

6

1

1

4

4

-8

Three nations were in contention prior to Match Day 6, and Uganda and Mauritius both battled for that first place. The first half was dominated in part by Uganda, but only could solidify one shot on target out of seven. Finally, Godfrey Walusimbi went on the attack from midfield, lost the ball and then regained it, before slotting with his left low into the goal. Mauritius countered three minutes later from a run by Adrien François, and it seemed the goal would lead to a draw, which worked in the favour of Tanzania. Then Walusimbi stepped up in the 82nd minute, went on another long run, outmaneuvering the Mauritian defenders, and slotted again with his left boot to give Uganda a two-one win and pole position to rise to League B. Tanzania scored twice against Zimbabwe in the first half thanks to John Bocco and Saimon Msuva. Thinking they had the momentum from their previous 6-1 win over Uganda, the Tanzanians kept attacking, hoping to erase a goal difference deficit. However, the Zimbabweans had an answer for every attack, and no more goals could be scored. Tanzania thus slipped into second place, just behind Uganda, and will go into the African Cup of Nations and World Cup Qualifiers full of confidence. Zimbabwe, meanwhile, must rethink their tactics in the hope of defeating League D nations and returning back to the African third tier.

 

 

Africa D1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Namibia

4

3

0

1

9

0

2

South Sudan

4

1

1

2

4

+1

3

Ethiopia

4

1

1

2

4

-1

Ethiopia needed to win by two goals to lift off the bottom of Group D1, and it looked that way when Shemeles Bekele scored in the first half. However, the South Sudanese did not give the home side any time to set up plays with their pressing defence. In fact, Jimmy Michael scored in the 68th minute, bringing out the best in both sides as they fought for a second goal. That goal came again from Bekele, tucking the ball into the top right corner. However, they could not find a third, and thus South Sudan remained second thanks to goal difference.

 

 

Africa D2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Mozambique

6

4

1

1

13

+7

2

Sierra Leone

6

3

1

2

10

+3

3

Djibouti

6

1

3

2

6

-5

4

Comoros

6

0

3

3

3

-5

The Comoros hosted Sierra Leone, and looked like gaining their first win for the tournament after Ali M’Madi put them in front on the half hour mark. However, Sierra Leone pressed constantly, and eventually snagged a goal through Foday Kamara. A draw then seemed likely, Comoros’ fourth in the Nations League, only for Sierra Leone’s Musa Kamara to deny them with an additional-time header, and gain their third win. All eyes turned to the result between Djibouti and Mozambique, where the Sierra Leoneans hoped for Djibouti to turn a halftime deficit into a solid victory. However, Artur Faife’s first-half goal was the only of the game, despite some late Djibouti charges. Mozambique, with their fourth win, will take on the League C nations in the next installment.

 

 

Africa D3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Sao Tome and Principe

6

2

3

1

9

+3

2

Lesotho

6

2

2

2

8

+1

3

Guinea-Bissau

6

2

2

2

8

-1

4

Somalia

6

2

1

3

7

-3

With all four sides in with a chance to progress to League B, it was Sao Tome and Principe (hosting Somalia) that started with a bang. Two goals at halftime from Joçy and Nay meant the three points would go their way. However, a second from Joçy and then Zé, who rounded out Sao Tome’s fourth goal, meant the pressure was firmly on Lesotho to bag a result away from home against Guinea-Bissau. Lesotho did not start well, as by halftime the score was two-nil, largely due to Manconi and Toni Silva. After the break, Khutlang Tumelo gave the away side a boost of courage as he jumped on the ball after his first attempt on goal and snagged one back. Not to be outdone, Guinea-Bissau’s Frédéric Mendy scored a brilliant header, and it seemed the result was assured. Lesotho kept attacking, scoring again to draw back to one goal thanks to Motebang Sera. They nearly had an equaliser as the clock rounded to 90 minutes, but an offside denied them. That loss placed Sao Tome on top of the table and into League C, whilst the others will focus on the upcoming Qualifiers.

 

 

Africa D4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Burundi

6

3

1

2

10

+4

2

Seychelles

6

3

1

2

10

+2

3

Eritrea

6

3

0

3

9

0

4

Mauritania

6

2

0

4

6

-6

Three teams able to progress to League C meant a tough final two games to round out Match Day 6 in Group D4. The Seychelles started slowly against Eritrea, but soon had two goals by halftime and one foot firmly on top spot. Then, against the run of play, Samyoma Alexander scored for the Eritreans after a brilliant pass from Henok Goitom. It was going to be a tight tussle for the final twenty-five minutes, and it certainly was the case, until Jude Nancy slotted the Seychelles third goal, and ensured the full three points. The attention then shifted to the other game, where Mauritania flew to Burundi. All Burundi needed to do was win by a margin within reach of the Seychelles’ result. Burundi scored twice by the 17th minute, and took the foot off the pedal, content with their goals from Saido Berahino and Player of the Match Pierre Kwizera (also with two assists). However, the Mauritanians struck back via Abdoulaye Gaye after Christophe Nduwarugira fouled and gave a penalty. As Diallo Guidileye stepped up to take the penalty, the Burundian goalkeeper, Jonathan Nahimana, stepped to his right, before diving left, the same way as the kick. Fortunately for the away side, the resulting corner led to Gaye’s goal. To steady the ship, the Burundian brought in at the last minute, Selemani Ndikumana, scored from Cédric Amissi’s through ball. It appeared the events of the first half were over but that could be further from the truth. El Hayen won a second penalty after a yellow-carded Nahimana fouled him, which Guidileye cheekily slotted straight down the centre.

 

Then, after the break, substitute Amadou Niass caught hold of a header straight after coming off the bench and into the goal, leveling the match, and taking away Burundi’s hopes. But, the home team, buoyed by the home crowd, gained back momentum, and Ndikumana scored his second goal after a cutback from the right wing, before Amissi scored a similar goal to end the game as 5-3 winners, and a spot in next installment’s League C.

 

 

May 27

Invitational Cup

·  New Zealand 2 Ghana 2

·  Portugal 4 North Macedonia 1

 

May 31

Invitational Cup

·  South Korea 1 Togo 2

·  North Korea 1 Chile 0

·  Switzerland 3 France 2

·  Spain 4 Belgium 1

·  Poland 2 Czech Republic 0

·  Kenya 2 Peru 1

·  Costa Rica 0 Netherlands 0

·  Brazil 9 Egypt 0

Nations League Match Day 6

Europe League C

·  Scotland 1 Bosnia 2

·  Faroe Islands 0 Croatia 1

·  Malta 1 Georgia 1

·  North Macedonia 3 Northern Ireland 0

Africa League C

·  Burkina Faso 3 Madagascar 0

·  Angola 0 Gambia 0

·  Central African Republic 5 Congo 0

·  Senegal 2 eSwatini 0

·  Equatorial Guinea 5 Botswana 0

·  Uganda 2 Mauritius 1

·  Tanzania 2 Zimbabwe 0

Africa League D

·  Ethiopia 2 South Sudan 1

·  Comoros 1 Sierra Leone 2

·  Djibouti 0 Mozambique 1

·  Sao Tome and Principe 4 Somalia 0

·  Guinea-Bissau 3 Lesotho 2

·  Seychelles 3 Eritrea 1

·  Burundi 5 Mauritania 3

Europe League D

·  Moldova 1 Montenegro 2

·  San Marino 2 Estonia 1

·  Luxembourg 1 Andorra 0

·  Iceland 4 Gibraltar 0

·  Monaco 0 Greece 4

·  Azerbaijan 1 Liechtenstein 0

 



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on June 3, 2019
Last Updated on June 3, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing