June 28 to July 7, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

June 28 to July 7, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

June 28 to July 7, 2019

 

Vanuatu hosted Samoa in the Oceanian Cup Qualifiers. It was Samoa who surprised the home team with a goal off the post in the 11th minute via captain Andrew Mobberley. Vanuatu finally equalised just before the break from the foot of Bill Nicholls. The second half was played mostly in the middle of the park as neither side could find the finishing touch. Vanuatu had the better of the chances, but could not find the winner. Faoa-Danielson scored twice for American Samoa as they hosted New Caledonia, coming away with their first three points of the campaign.

 

In Group B, Papua New Guinea remain winless after Tonga scored twice against them, firstly from Laulea Taufa, and the second by Hema Polovili into an open goal after Ishmael Pole made a blunder running out for the ball. Solomon Islands also gained only their second draw as they hosted a defiant Tahitian side, in spite of the seven shots on target.

 

In the only game in Group C, New Zealand totalled four goals from four different scorers in the first half playing away to the Cook Islands. The two sides then clashed on the Friday, this time under the guise of a World Cup Qualifier. The Cook Islands worked out their defence and held on for a solid scoreless draw as New Zealand struggled to get into the 18-yard box, and when they did, their shots were so wide or weak that the goalkeeper had very little trouble.

 

Four offsides each stopped Tonga and the Marshall Islands from scoring in their match. Tonga had the early chances, only for the shots to either go straight to the goalkeeper, or be slowed down by sliding defenders. Tonga walked away disappointed, especially after having defeated Papua New Guinea on the same ground earlier in the week, and to be held by the lowly Marshall Islands suggests this World Cup qualification process is placing a hefty level of anxiety on the players, knowing that the one Oceanian spot for Qatar is open to any nation.

 

Palau hosted American Samoa in an epic match. Palau continued their goal scoring capabilities from their previous match against the Solomon Islands back in March by Paulus Ngirngesechei’s fourth-minute header from a corner. The visitors switched into gear and soon had an equaliser, also a header, by Milo Tiatia. Pundits soon thought American Samoa would switch into gear and start dominating, but the Palau side kept attacking, and soon after half time had two more goals on the scoreboard, with Ngirngesechei’s second and a pearler by Dexter Decherong. As the game wore on, American Samoa made decisive substitutes, and scored twice, including a 90th minute goal to come away with a vital point.

 

Kiribati hosted New Caledonia, and managed to keep the slightly weary visitors to a scoreless draw. In fact, the home team had the better chances in the first half, and possibly should have been awarded a penalty when goalkeeper Jean-Gilles Hnamuko brought down Joseph Yan when the ball was not nearby. Joël Wakanumuné had the best chance for New Caledonia, only for his header to fly wide.

 

Two first-half goals for the home side gave Tonga a solid victory over Fiji. Jarvis Filimalae had two chances early, but could not get his shots on target. Instead, it was attacking midfielder Ritchievoy Ueligitone who scored first for Tonga from the edge of the 18-yard box, curling nicely around Beniamino Mateinaqara. Twenty-one minutes later, Tonga worked down the left wing, with Andrew Mobberley keeping the ball in against the byline after a wonderful steal. Mobberley passed back to Harlen Russell, who found Mateinaqara out of position, and slotted into a relatively open goal. The second half saw Tonga ease off in parts, although they had plenty of opportunities.  A two-goal win will stand them in good stead later in the qualification process.

 

Group D’s match between Vanuatu and Tahiti was highly attacking, but no goals came for either side. Vanuatu dominated in attack, but could not find that final shot to escape the clutches of Teave Teamotuaitau, who was deemed Player of the Match with his seven saves.

 

The other Group D nations Micronesia and Tuvalu faced off in what will become a battle for third place. The difference between the sides was Tuvalu’s Afele Valoa’s goal just before halftime.

 

Lastly, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands played the most even-handed game of the day, but neither side could score, despite a combined total of 14 shots on target. The Solomon Islands’ goalkeeper, Philip Mango, gained the Player of the Match award, with Ishmael Pole making two less saves, but nonetheless both were on fire and saved their side from a loss.

 

June 30

Oceanian Cup Qualifiers

Top 2 Qualify

Group A

·  Vanuatu 1 Samoa 1

·  American Samoa 2 New Caledonia 0

Group B

·  Tonga 2 Papua New Guinea 0

·  Solomon Islands 0 Tahiti 0

Group C

·  Cook Islands 0 New Zealand 4

July 5

World Cup Qualifiers �" Oceania MD2

·  Palau 3 American Samoa 3

·  Papua New Guinea 0 Solomon Islands 0

·  New Zealand 0 Cook Islands 0

·  Tonga 0 Marshall Islands 0

·  Kiribati 0 New Caledonia 0

·  Samoa 2 Fiji 0

·  Vanuatu 0 Tahiti 0

·  Micronesia 0 Tuvalu 1

 

 



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on January 26, 2020
Last Updated on January 26, 2020

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing