February 25 to March 3, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

February 25 to March 3, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

February 25 to March 3, 2019

Oceanian World Cup 2022 Qualifiers commenced this week. Palau shocked 2018 World Cup side the Solomon Islands by scoring inside two minutes through Mac Sasao. However, the home side soon settled into the game and had two goals off the boots of Feni and Fa’arado by halftime. The second half was a tight tussle as both searched for an elusive goal. Finally, Palau had their second after a free kick from a yellow-carded Fa’arado challenge. Captain Mereb’s kick sweetly passed the goalkeeper and sent the bench into a frenzy, knowing that this crucial draw away from home will help their campaign to make it to Qatar in 2022. American Samoa dominated the first half possession (63%, 60% for the match) over Papua New Guinea, but failed to convert that into anything productive in the front third. This continued through much of the second half until Papua New Guinea worked for their first effective move up forward, and with their only attempt for the game, Dabingyaba slotted it home in the 79th minute. The American Samoa coach kept his cool and switched captain Ramen Ott up forward. This move paid off as he slotted from outside the box an 89th minute equaliser. Both teams left the park content with the result.

 

In Group B, New Zealand flew to the Marshall Islands, and on a difficult pitch surface, managed five goals from five different scorers, the first by Player of the Match Cameron Howieson. The consolations the Marshall Islanders took out of the math were the thud against the right post in stoppage time and the majority of possession; New Zealand allowed them to pass the ball, whilst waiting to capitalise on any mistakes. Between the Nations League and now the World Cup Qualifiers, the island nation remains goalless. As for the Cook Islands, not only did they dominate possession against Tonga, but also they produced the goal of the day. Campbell Best had the second-to-last touch of a great team buildup, crossing from the right pocket. Left midfielder Josh Karika volleyed the ball sweetly into the netting, giving goalkeeper Mahe Malafu no chance of a save. The end result: 1-0.

 

Group C’s frontrunners in the eyes of the spectators, Fiji, struggled to penetrate the Kiribati defence in the first half. After the break, their crosses made it to the strikers Krishna and Waqa, only for the headers to sail over the bar. In the end, Kiribati celebrated the scoreless draw, whilst Fiji lamented a missed opportunity to start their World Cup campaign on a solid note. The same scoreline befell New Caledonia as they hosted Samoa, despite the home side having six shots at goal to nil.

 

In Group D, Vanuatu gained a valuable away win over Tuvalu. The home side looked set to dominate possession and created a few half chances as the Vanuatu side sat back and waited for an error. The error came in the form of a defensive pass, and Kensi Tangis capitalised on it, taking on two Tuvalu defenders, and finding a gap between the keeper and the post. That rattled Tuvalu, and although in the second half they created more chances, it was Player of the Match Chikau Mansale’s double save (six in total) and the woodwork that denied Tuvalu an equaliser. Over in Tahiti, Teaonui Tehau scored twice in the first half, and the home side seemed likely to romp Micronesia. However, the away team quickly responded through Dunadamu, and set up a tight second half. Eventually, Tahiti scored a third, thanks to a cross from Tehau to his partner, Yohann Tihoni, before a fourth ended Micronesia’s hopes of a close result. The scoreline, 4-1, could have been more, had Tahiti not been wasteful in the latter minutes.

 

Six CONCACAF sides played their first friendlies in the realm of Global Futbol. The Dutch-heritage Sint Maarten travelled to the other side of the island to take on Saint Martin. The French-speaking side netted first through Bellechasse, but Potmis equalised for the visitors in his first goal in official matches. The game became tighter as it progressed and neither side could find a path to goal. The first brace for Martinique went to Biron, who scored twice late in the first half. Their opponents, Bonaire, stacked the defence in the second half, and although the home team tried to find another in the back of the net, they could not find enough gaps. Maria scored late for Guadeloupe against French Guiana, after substitute Colina made good work near the left corner. His cross to Maria had Maria with his back to the goal, but Maria was able to turn around his direct opponent and slot the ball home with his left.

 

In other friendlies, Canada and St Lucia prepared for World Cup Qualifiers in two weeks’ time, with Canada winning 2-1, but St Lucia’s substitute Cassius Joseph scoring in stoppage time as soon as he came on the field. The Cayman Islands scored via an early substitute to overcome the British Virgin Islands. Armenia came back from 2-0 down before Saudi Arabia snatched a third goal and a vital win against a European side, albeit a lowly ranked team. In a tight game, Uzbekistan edged out rivals Iraq.

 

In Match Day 8 of the Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers, Japan lost to Bahrain by two goals to one, and their chances of qualifying for the Nations Cup are next to none. Sitting behind them are Bhutan, who drew at home to Uzbekistan. However, the pick out of Group A could very well be India, especially after their crucial one-nil away win against Tajikistan. Iran also looks set to progress to the Cup after their win over China. Standing in their way potentially are Thailand, who gained a vital away win against Nepal. Syria jumped ahead of Palestine in their Group with a 2-1 win over their rivals. Jordan should go in the running to qualify with another win, this time a solitary goal the difference between them and Afghanistan. South Korea remains strong after a 2-0 away win over Singapore.

 

The UAE’s win away against Vietnam allows them to rival the Australians for dominance in Asia’s Group E. Bangladesh’s surprise victory over the Matildas brought that margin even closer, with one point separating Australia, the UAE and Bangladesh. Lower down in the group, Iraq and the Philippines fought out a game with four goals. Three of them went the way of the Iraqis.

 

Bolivia scrounged out a one-all draw at home to Brazil, as did Peru and Argentina slugging it out in Lima. Chile’s early goal proved the difference against Ecuador, whilst Uruguay gained a vital away win against Colombia.

 

Mali slotted four past Namibia to place a buffer of three points against their opponents, and effectively knocking Nigeria out of qualifying, despite the African powerhouse also scoring four goals against Madagascar. South Africa look set to top their group as they defeated Botswana by three goals. Ghana won away to Senegal and now has secured a chance to qualify for the Nations Cup in the final stages, particularly after Ethiopia lost on the road to Tanzania. Morocco has all but secured first place in Africa’s Group C after winning away against Zambia. Malawi faltered away to Kenya, whilst Côte d’Ivoire slammed four goals to one against Congo, meaning the contest between them and Cameroon will go down to the final Match Day. Algeria jumped ahead of Lesotho as they netted three goals against their opponents. In much the same way, Uganda shot above Mozambique in Group C as one goal separated the two teams.

 

In Europe, England slid two around Slovakia to take the points, and they are on target to win their group. Luxembourg surprised Northern Ireland with a win, as did Turkey over Lithuania and Finland over Belarus to draw closer to Switzerland in the group. Russia’s defeat worth five goals over Kazakhstan keeps them with a slim chance of overcoming Spain. However, the Spaniards were able to score four beyond Cyprus, allowing that buffer over Russia to remain. Italy and the Czech Republic both had solid victories over Hungary and Estonia respectively.

 

France won away against Moldova, raising the Nations Cup hosts to second in their group, and now chasing after Poland, who drew away in Kosovo. Montenegro secured their first win as they overcame Austria two goals to one. Meanwhile, the Netherlands’ win away to Romania makes them the team to overcome in the group, though this seems unlikely at this stage. Croatia scored a vital away win over Georgia; the same scoreline as Germany away to Iceland of two goals to nil. Latvia and Denmark played out a scoreless draw, and Bulgaria won the game late with the only goal of the game against Sweden.

 

February 25

Men’s Friendlies

·  Tunisia 0 Ireland 3

·  Egypt 0 South Africa 3

 

February 26

U17 Men’s Friendlies

·  Eritrea 2 Bahrain 0

Libya 3 Saudi Arabia 1

February 27

Women’s Futsal MD 5

Saudi Arabia 1-1 Uruguay

Iran 4-1 Spain

Peru 2-3 France

Nigeria 3-3 Iceland

Switzerland 3-2 Serbia

Mexico 1-5 South Korea

Tunisia 3-2 Belgium

Japan 3-2 Senegal

March 1

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Match Day 8

Europe

·  Bosnia 4 Scotland 0

·  Georgia 0 Croatia 2

·  Azerbaijan 1 Norway 1

·  Latvia 0 Denmark 0

·  Ireland 2 Malta 0

·  Italy 5 Hungary 1

·  Kosovo 1 Poland 1

·  Romania 0 Netherlands 1

·  Iceland 0 Germany 2

·  Albania 0 Portugal 2

·  Bulgaria 1 Sweden 0

South America

·  Chile 1 Ecuador 0

·  Colombia 0 Uruguay 1

·  Peru 1 Argentina 1

 

March 2

2022 Men’s World Cup Qualifiers Oceania MD 1

Group A

·  Solomon Islands 2 Palau 2

·  American Samoa 1 Papua New Guinea 1

Group B

·  Marshall Islands 0 New Zealand 5

·  Cook Islands 1 Tonga 0

Group C

·  Fiji 0 Kiribati 0

·  New Caledonia 0 Samoa 0

Group D

·  Tuvalu 0 Vanuatu 1

·  Tahiti 4 Micronesia 1

 

Men’s Friendlies

·  Saint Martin 1 Sint Maarten 1

·  Martinique 2 Bonaire 0

·  Guadeloupe 1 French Guiana 0

·  Saudi Arabia 3 Armenia 2

·  Uzbekistan 1 Iraq 0

·  Canada 2 St Lucia 1

·  Cayman Islands 1 British Virgin Islands 0

 

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Match Day 8

Europe

·  Spain 4 Cyprus 0

 

Women’s Futsal MD 6

Saudi Arabia 1-2 Egypt

Iran 2-1 Portugal

Peru 2-1 Australia

Nigeria 2-2 Argentina

Switzerland 4-1 Costa Rica

Mexico 5-0 Sweden

Tunisia 3-2 Panama

Japan 2-1 Poland

March 3

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Match Day 8

Asia

·  Bahrain 2 Japan 1

·  Bhutan 2 Uzbekistan 2

·  Tajikistan 0 India 1

·  Iran 3 China 1

·  Nepal 0 Thailand 2

·  Syria 2 Palestine 1

·  North Korea 3 Sri Lanka 0

·  Taiwan 1 Indonesia 1

·  Jordan 1 Afghanistan 0

·  Singapore 0 South Korea 2

·  Malaysia 2 Myanmar 0

·  Maldives 2 Hong Kong 1

·  Bangladesh 2 Australia 1

·  Vietnam 1 UAE 2

·  Iraq 3 Philippines 1

Europe

·  Luxembourg 2 Northern Ireland 1

·  Russia 5 Kazakhstan 0

·  Belarus 0 Finland 1

·  Lithuania 1 Turkey 2

·  England 2 Slovakia 0

·  Czech Republic 4 Estonia 1

·  Montenegro 2 Austria 1

·  Moldova 1 France 3

Africa

·  Nigeria 4 Madagascar 0

·  Mali 4 Namibia 0

·  South Africa 3 Botswana 0

·  Algeria 3 Lesotho 0

·  Zambia 0 Morocco 1

·  Uganda 1 Mozambique 0

·  Cote d’Ivoire 4 Congo 1

·  Kenya 3 Malawi 1

·  Senegal 0 Ghana 2

·  Tanzania 1 Ethiopia 0

South America

·  Bolivia 1 Brazil 1

 

 

 



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on March 5, 2019
Last Updated on March 5, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing