July 22 to 28, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

July 22 to 28, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

July 22 to 28, 2019

UEFA confirmed this week that the nine group winners of the Euro 2020 Qualifiers will host next year’s tournament, along with three automatic nations: England, Germany and Russia. The three nations already confirmed is based on Global Futbol rankings, as well as the confirmation that Wembley Stadium will host the Final. Russia hosted last year’s World Cup and has the infrastructure in place to host part of the tournament, and the Bundesliga stadiums are more than adequate for hosting. Therefore, if England, Germany or Russia top their groups, the second placed team will gain hosting rights.

 

This gives additional incentive to not only qualify for the tournament but also be able to host games on home soil.

 

The Czech Republic gained their first win of the Euro 2020 Qualifiers with a 3-1 away win against Latvia. The home side scored first through Mrcis Ošs, who found himself free in an unusual position on the left half of the 6-yard box. His first-time volley hit Tomas Vaclík’s hand, but was too powerful as it bounced into the goal. From there, the Czechs took charge of the game. Jakub Jankto scored his side’s first goal as the Latvian defensive structure fell apart, leaving the Czech striker free and onside, as a defender was still on the line. The Czech’s second goal was the pick of the day, as Jankto won a header on the box, tapping the ball to substitute Filip Novák. Novák smacked the ball first time with his left, thudding the crossbar. With Latvian Pavel Šteinbors still getting back to his feet, Libor Kozák eased his header into the open goal. Latvia then failed to clear a ball minutes later, and the pass flew straight to Jankto for his brace. Latvia remain without a point, and now Euro 2020 seems a distant pipe dream.

 

The Netherlands travelled to Kazakhstan for the Kazakh’s first home game for the Qualifiers. Interestingly, the hosts started with three defenders at the back, looking to control the midfield. And for periods, they certainly did, having more possession of the first half. However, Martin de Roon’s great footwork gave him a little space to shoot from outside the box, and the ball sailed beyond the goalkeeper. Complacency gave Kazakhstan, however, a great chance as they netted two minutes later thanks to Abat Aymbetov’s long run and shot for goal. In the second half, the Dutch pressured their opponent’s defence, and eventually Georginio Wijnaldum found himself free, easily pocketing a crucial goal. The Kazakhs could not find another equaliser, and the Dutch came away with the three points.

 

On top, ahead of the pack, is Turkey, who kept their perfect record with a 3-0 win over Iceland. Turkey had multiple chances in the first half, only for the likes of Dorukhan Toköz and Kaan Ayhan to squander them. Finally, a switch with Irfan Kahveci at the attacking helm immediately brought a goal for the home side. Kahveci nearly had a second minutes later, only to be denied by a diving Hannes Halldórsson. It mattered not, for Kenan Karaman went on a run and left footed the ball into the net, doubling the Turks’ lead. A third came about when Emil Hallfredsson passed back to Halldórsson, only for the keeper to not realise, and the ball to drift over the line. Turkey assured their top spot, and will look to maintain that next against Kazakhstan away, whilst the Dutch host the Czech Republic, and Latvia face the long distance travel to Iceland.

 

In Group B, Israel and Andorra both lined up with five defenders in their formation. Israel did dominate much of the game, but the only goal scored was via an Eran Zahavi volley off a Player of the Match Bibras Natcho cross to dead in front of goal. However, few quality chances came after that, and the game ended with a solitary goal for Israel.

 

Bosnia/Herzegovina had four attempts with their head to score against Wales; only Wayne Hennessey easily picked them. Instead, Wales scored first via Thomas Lawrence, before Amar Gojak equalised. From there, those four headers looked like it would be the home side’s day. However, Wales countered from a corner, finding Gareth Bale one on one against a defender, and he easily scored to give Wales the lead. From there, Bosnia/Herzegovina could not find the best way to goal, and Wales gained crucial away points.

 

The match of the group saw Cyprus pull off an emphatic draw at home against Belgium. When the World Cup finalists hit the post twice, before the pressure became too great and Kevin De Bruyne scored, it seemed like today would be Belgium’s day. Eden Hazard’s goal solidified that, as Belgium saw out the first half, full of confidence. Cyprus did snag a goal back straight after the break via Ioannis Kousoulos, only for Belgium to reply by Youri Tielemans. Cyprus, however, were not finished. Kostakis Artymatas scored a blinder of a goal beyond Thibaut Courtois, where he won the ball in a one-on-one against the Belgian goalkeeper. Then, as Courtois dove to claim the ball, Artymatas spun around with the ball and slipped it into the open net. Full of spirit and buoyed by the home crowd, Cyprus attacked. They hit the woodwork, like Belgium, before Ioannis Kosti brought down a clearing header with his chest in the box and slotted home a phenomenal equaliser.

 

Belgium now take on Bosnia/Herzegovina, whilst Cyprus travel to play Andorra, and Wales and Israel play for top spot in the group.

 

Group C saw the Ukraine score two early goals against Luxembourg, only for the away side to level, before Viktor Tsygankov gave his side the lead at the break. However, Luxembourg fought level again through poor clearance and a tight finish by Leandro Barreiro. The Ukraine needed a quick substitute in additional time, bringing on Marlos Bonfim, who headed home the winner from the corner, and grasping Ukraine’s third win from three matches.

 

Slovakia caught the Belarussians off guard and scored two goals early via Robert Boženík and Juraj Kucka. Belarus, being the home side, needed to turn things around in a first half that was very much a one-on-one battle across the park, and it seemed that way when Maksim Skavysh slotted into the net. Only, Slovakia restored their two-goal lead through Robert Mak, and the halftime 3-1 scoreline remained the same for the rest of the match, giving Slovakia their first Qualifying win.

 

In keeping with the trend of the away side scoring three goals, Spain had a third goal against North Macedonia, after the two sides were level at two-all at the main break. That third goal came from Thiago Alcântara, who hadn’t graced the field for Spain since the World Cup. North Macedonia, who fielded an attacking side, were still in the match, thanks to three posters from the Spanish strikers. Arijan Ademi then equalised against the run of place after running onto a through ball. However, the three-goal away trend finished, as Spain had a fourth from newcomer Mikel Oyarzabal. David De Gea then made three crucial saves, only for his fourth attempt to come unstuck as substitute Krste Velkovski slotted home North Macedonia’s fourth, and salvaged a point against the European powerhouse.

 

Group D’s frontrunner, Ireland, took on the lowly ranked Gibraltar, scoring early via David McGoldrick. However, plucky defence and goalkeeping kept any further goals out, and Gibraltar, having only lost by a goal, felt they were the true winners on the day. Ireland, on the other hand, remains top of Group D.

 

Hot on their heels is Georgia, who defeated Poland one-nil as well. Both sides had chances in the first half, before Otar Kiteishvili slid a low shot from long range beyond the goalkeeper Łukasz Fabiański’s dive. From there, Georgia held on as both sides had opportunities, but could not find a way to the net.

 

Moving into second place is Germany, thanks to a hat trick from Toni Kroos as the top European side defeated Scotland. Kroos scored twice at the start of each half, before going on a long counterattacking run and chipping goalkeeper David Marshall in the cheekiest of fashions.

 

Romania started the third Match Day in Group F with a win over Finland, thanks to Claudiu Keșerü’s finish after Lucas Hradecky parried Florin Andone’s initial shot. However, that would be the only goal for the match, as both teams struggled to penetrate into their opponent’s box.

 

Group G saw Austria score twice early through Julian Baumgartlinger and Marcel Sabitzer to gain a solid 2-0 victory over Sweden. Baumgartlinger’s goal came in the third minute, curling around two defenders and the goalkeeper. Sabitzer followed suit seventeen minutes later, and Austria gained a large grip on the match. Sweden made two substitutions up front at the halfway mark, but that had little effect until towards the end. Desperate sliding blocks and saves, as well as the woodwork, kept Sweden at bay, leaving the northern Europe side deflated after their first loss for the Qualifiers. Austria, meanwhile, have won all three first games, and look set to go deep in qualifying for Euro 2020.

 

In Group H, Norway scored three against Malta to secure their first win for the Qualifiers. Joshua King’s brilliant scissor kick from a tight angle off Haitam Aleesami’s cross started the ball rolling. Then Markus Henriksen bookended the first half with a steal and shot through a defender’s legs for Norway’s second. Two substitutes combined at the death, with Mathias Normann working down the right flank before crossing to Tarik Elyounoussi, who nailed the header into the net.

 

The African Cup of Nations Qualifiers continued this week, with most groups fielding Match Day 3.

 

In Group B, Algeria’s newcomer Andy Delort opened the scoring away to Malawi in the third minute. He doubled the lead early in the second half with a brilliant header, just when the Malawians thought they were getting back into the match. A third goal via Islam Slimani ensured Malawi left the ground with their tail between their legs, and the Algerians boosted with first place at the halfway mark.

 

Tanzania should have opened the scoring early against Benin after Mzamiru Yassine stole the ball, only for Fabien Farnolle’s hand to first stop the ball before parrying it away to safety. From there, the match was fairly even, though Tanzania had the better chances late. This included two headers and four shots blocked by a steely defence. The game ended in a scoreless draw, and security for Benin knowing they have two vital away draws. This will stand them in good stead for the second half of qualification.

 

 

AFCON Q B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Algeria

3

2

0

1

6

+5

2

Benin

3

1

2

0

5

+1

3

Tanzania

3

1

1

1

4

+2

4

Malawi

3

0

1

2

1

-8

 

In Group C, Burkina Faso had the upper hand over hosts Liberia, with two goals at the start of each half from Lassina Traoré and Eric Traoré. Liberia had multiple half-chances, only to send them straight to Burkina Faso’s goalkeeper, Hervé Koffi.

 

Gabon defeated Angola 3-1, despite losing defender Johann Obiang early when he was left as the last player, missing a vital tackle and earning a straight red card. Gabon did not let that disturb their momentum, as they scored a goal via midfielder Jim Allevinah. Angola pegged level through Fabío Abreu, thinking the momentum had shifted. Instead, Gabon altered their formation to counter the red card. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang then set up substitute Axel Méyé, before the substitute had a brace in additional time to guarantee Gabon’s first three points.

 

 

AFCON Q C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Burkina Faso

3

2

0

1

6

+3

2

Angola

3

2

0

1

6

+1

3

Gabon

3

1

1

1

4

0

4

Liberia

3

0

1

2

1

-4

 

Group D’s Ethiopia and the Gambia fought out a one-all draw to reach the midpoint of the Qualifiers. Ethiopia dominated possession in the first half, but could not translate it into shots on target. Omar Colley then scored in the second half, against the run of play, leaving Ethiopia to shift their strategy in search of an equaliser. That came in in the 86th minute, after Gatoch Panom’s shot deflected off two defenders and into the goal.

 

Zimbabwe hosted Côte d’Ivoire, and it seemed the visitors would walk over the Zimbabweans. Nicolas Pépé scored his first goal for his country with a header into an open goal after goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze ran out earlier to thwart the ball. However, Zimbabwe caught the Ivoirians pondering about halftime too early, and Khama Billiat scored a delightful chip over goalkeeper Sylvain Gbohouo, making it even at the break. From there, the Zimbabweans held onto a crucial point, and will take into the second half of the qualifiers a modicum of confidence.

 

 

AFCON Q D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Côte d’Ivoire

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Gambia

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Ethiopia

3

0

2

1

2

-1

4

Zimbabwe

3

0

2

1

2

-2

 

 

Group G’s matches were tightly contested, starting with Mauritania hosting Tunisia. Adama Bâ opened the scoring with a curling ball around Farouk Ben Mustapha after stealing the ball close to goal. However, Tunisia worked back into the game and scored just before the break via Wahbi Khazri’s brilliant free kick. Mauritania had the better opportunities in the second half, buoyed by the home crowd, only for Ben Mustapha to keep the scores level, mainly with a double save against substitute Mamadou Niass.

 

Botswana and the Seychelles both had a chance to claim second place, with Mauritania’s third draw. The hosts had the better chances across the halves, only to come away with no goals scored, leaving both sides in a real pickle on the bottom of the group.

 

 

AFCON Q G

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Tunisia

3

2

1

0

7

+6

2

Mauritania

3

0

3

0

3

0

3

Botswana

3

0

2

1

2

-1

4

Seychelles

3

0

2

1

2

-5

 

 

In Group M, Zambia maintained their perfect record with a 1-0 away win over Sierra Leone. The home side hit the woodwork twice, the second being from a Kei Kamara free kick where Zambia’s goalkeeper Sebastian Mwange tipped the ball against the crossbar. Instead, Zambia managed a goal just after the break, with Mwila Phiri’s brilliant header beating the defender and goalkeeper, earning another three points for his team.

 

Djibouti hosted Madagascar and had a goal via Youssouf Abdi Ahmed in the second minute. Madagascar, however, levelled in the 28th minute from Aniset Andrianantenaina, who used his head to score after the ball popped high from a goalkeeping save. Djibouti had the better opportunities in the second half, but were unable to wrestle back the lead, and the two teams shared a point each.

 

 

AFCON Q Group M

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Zambia

3

3

0

0

9

+3

2

Madagascar

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Djibouti

3

0

2

1

2

-1

4

Sierra Leone

3

0

1

2

1

-2

 

 

The following day, eSwatini hosted Nigeria and came out fired up to take top of the group or be overcome with exhaustion trying. eSwatini had the better of the chances, only they could not finalise into the netting. Their best shot came in the 59th minute with Phinda Dlamini’s long-range effort smacking the post. Minutes later, Nigeria had their best chance, with Ncamiso Dlamini stopping Onyinye Ndidi’s attempt. Nigeria still remain top of the group.

 

Similarly, no goals were scored between the Congo and Sudan. The Sudanese had the better chances in the first half, before the Congolese shut them out and created more shots on goal in the second. The best opportunity was a thud against the left post by Gaïus Makouta, and Amour Loussoukou was awarded Player of the Match thanks to his domination in the midfield and effective tackles.

 

 

AFCON Q A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Nigeria

3

2

1

0

7

+5

2

eSwatini

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Sudan

3

1

1

1

4

-3

4

Congo

3

0

1

2

1

-2

 


In Group E, the top-of-the-group clash was all Guinea’s as they hosted Ghana. Naby Keïta scored in both halves to set up a solid win, before Jordan Ayew managed to sneak one back eight minutes from the final whistle. It was not enough to bring the game all square, and Guinea slipped into first placing in the Group of Death.

 

Namibia needed a miracle in the Group of Death to have any chance, but it was Togo that dominated much of the first half, culminating in a 26th minute header by Kodjo Fo Dah Laba. Namibia worked back into the match, and attacked for that elusive equaliser. Deon Hotto had two chances in the same bracket of play, only for Malcolm Barcola and his steely defence to deny both shots. Substitute Benson Shilongo also had two opportunities, but his first header was not on target, and Barcola somehow saved the attempted chip shot whilst racing out to meet him. Petrus Shitembi then smacked the post, much to the groans of the crowd. In the end, the visitors gained the full three points, and are within striking distance of Guinea.

 

 

AFCON Q E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Guinea

3

2

1

0

7

+4

2

Ghana

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Togo

3

1

1

1

4

-2

4

Namibia

3

0

1

2

1

-2

 

 

In Group F, the Cape Verde Islands came from behind to defeat Niger. It was the visitors who scored unlikely first via Mohamed Djibo Wonkoye as he dinked the ball back, fooling an approaching Vózinha, and slotted between the gap left by the goalkeeper and his defence. Quickly, the home side worked back into the match, with Djaniny’s header levelling the scores six minutes later. Then, in the 72nd minute, midfielder Jamiro Monteiro found the ball land near him and forced it into the net.

 

Comoros scored with the first shot of the match against Chad, and from there, sought to hold on for a crucial win. Nordine Iboruoi’s header proved the difference, climbing well above the others as Saïd Bakari crossed from the right wing. This win helped the home side hit third place, equal with Niger on points, but having played one more home game.

 

 

AFCON Q F

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cape Verde Islands

3

2

0

1

6

+2

2

Niger

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Comoros

3

1

1

1

4

-1

4

Chad

3

1

0

2

3

-1

 

 

With a catch up game in the Asian Cup Qualifiers, China hosted Cambodia after having faced each other two weeks’ prior. China, despite last week’s goalscorer injuring his shoulder early, piled on four goals from the likes of Hao Junmin, Wang Gang, Yang Xu and substitute Yu Hanchao. China only needs a draw or a loss by less than three goals to qualify, whilst Qatar will need to defeat Cambodia by two more goals than Tajikistan, should Tajikistan defeat China.

 

 

Asian Cup Q Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

China

5

3

2

0

11

+6

2

Tajikistan

5

2

2

1

8

+1

3

Qatar

5

2

2

1

8

-1

4

Cambodia

5

0

2

3

2

-6

 

With South Korea already qualified for the Asian Cup, it was Brunei’s turn to set forth their campaign. A goal by Shahrazen Shah in the sixth minute showed the home side meant business. They nearly had a second goal in the first half, only for offside to be called because Razamie Ramlli was between the goalkeeper and the last defender, a rule sometimes forgotten (that two opposing players must be closer to the goal when the ball is kicked). From there, South Korea composed, and scored twice via Na Sang-ho and Paik Seung-ho to gain the full three points, and give Pakistan a slim chance of qualifying. Pakistan will have to win by three goals against Brunei to make it to the UAE.

 

 

Asian Cup Q Group H

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Korea

4

4

0

0

12

+11

2

Brunei

3

1

0

2

3

-3

3

Pakistan

3

0

0

3

0

-8

 

Bangladesh struggled at home against Bhutan, where only one shot on target was registered for the first half. The second half saw more attacking football, but neither side could find the winner.

 

As for Syria, they scored early through Mahmoud Al Mawas, and then tactically played for that scoreline and inflict on Hong Kong their first defeat. Substitute Kamel Hamisha then slotted home a second for the Syrians, and gained a vital three points.

 

Syria now have almost qualified for the UAE, being three points ahead of Hong Kong and Bhutan. Both the latter sides are also on the same goal difference, so this group is set to go down to the wire. Bangladesh have an outside chance, should they defeat Hong Kong and Syria do the same against Bhutan.

 

 

Asian Cup Q Group I

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Syria

5

3

0

2

9

+2

2

Hong Kong

5

1

3

1

6

-1

3

Bhutan

5

1

3

1

6

-1

4

Bangladesh

5

1

2

2

5

0

 

Palestine faced East Timor away in their final match. Since the Timorese needed a win, they went all out attack, relentlessly peppering the goals (19 shots for the game). Palestinian Rami Hamada needed to save six shots in the first half (eleven for the match). Then, in the first half additional time, Rufino stepped up and shot. The ball used the inside of the post to then bounce into goal, and the unlikely minnows had the lead. It took until additional time in the second half for Palestine to reply, coming via a Tamer Seyam penalty. Unperturbed, the Timorese attacked again, winning a crucial corner. From the corner, substitute Paulo Freitas jumped above the rest and with his head, kept East Timor in with a chance of qualifying for the Asian Cup.

 

Palestine have progressed, despite the loss. They will now sit and wait to see if Bahrain can jump above them into first place, or if East Timor can pull off an upset victory away from home. A draw will mean Palestine and Bahrain progress.

 

 

Asian Cup Q Group D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Palestine

4

2

0

2

6

+1

2

Bahrain

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

East Timor

3

1

1

1

4

-1

 

 

Vietnam hosted Afghanistan with the need to defeat the surprise packet. However, the scoreless draw that ensued played perfectly into Afghanistan’s hands, as they top the group and thus qualify for the Asian Cup. Vietnam, understandably, were still shell-shocked from their four-goal drubbing last week against the Philippines, and although they had the better chances, it is clear that without Lê Công Vinh they are no longer the World Cup qualifying side they were two years ago. There is still hope on the final Match Day, where they can hope to defeat Macau away, if Afghanistan also draws or overcomes the Philippines.

 

 

Asian Cup Q Group E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Afghanistan

5

3

2

0

11

+3

2

Philippines

5

2

1

2

7

+3

3

Vietnam

5

1

3

1

6

-3

4

Macau

5

0

2

3

2

-3

 

In the first game of the Oceanian Tri-Nations League, Fiji hosted Vanuatu. Nicholas Prasad opened the scoring for Fiji, but from there no one looked like netting a goal. Fiji simply denied Vanuatu any real chances through long periods of possession. It took until the second half for Vanuatu player Bill Nicholls to nearly score a brilliant volley, only to smack the crossbar. From there, Fiji created mini chances, and that pressure led to Roy Krishna’s goal in additional time. That second goal could become crucial in the three-way tie, also involving New Zealand.

 

 

July 23

AFCON Qualifiers

First Qualifies

Second in Groups H, K, L Qualify

Two worst second-placed teams do not qualify

Group B

·  Malawi 0 Algeria 3

·  Tanzania 0 Benin 0

Group C

·  Gabon 3 Angola 1

·  Liberia 0 Burkina Faso 2

Group D

·  Ethiopia 1 Gambia 1

·  Zimbabwe 1 Côte d’Ivoire 1

Group G

·  Mauritania 1 Tunisia 1

·  Botswana 0 Seychelles 0

Group M

·  Sierra Leone 0 Zambia 1

·  Djibouti 1 Madagascar 1

·   

July 24

Asian Cup Qualifiers

Top 2 Qualify

Group C

·  China 4 Cambodia 0

Group D

·  East Timor 2 Palestine 1

Group E

·  Vietnam 0 Afghanistan 0

Group H

·  Brunei 1 South Korea 2

Group I

·  Bangladesh 0 Bhutan 0

·  Syria 2 Hong Kong 0

 

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

Top 2 Qualify

Six Best Third-Place Qualify

Group A

·  Latvia 1 Czech Republic 3

·  Kazakhstan 1 Netherlands 2

·  Turkey 3 Iceland 0

Group B

·  Israel 1 Andorra 0

·  Bosnia/ Herzegovina 1 Wales 2

·  Cyprus 3 Belgium 3

Group C

·  Ukraine 4 Luxembourg 3

·  Belarus 1 Slovakia 3

·  North Macedonia 4 Spain 4

Group D

·  Ireland 1 Gibraltar 0

·  Georgia 1 Poland 0

·  Germany 3 Scotland 0

Group F

·  Romania 1 Finland 0

Group G

·  Austria 2 Sweden 0

Group H

·  Norway 3 Malta 0

 

 

AFCON Qualifiers

First Qualifies

Second in Groups H, K, L Qualify

Two worst second-placed teams do not qualify

Group A

·  eSwatini 0 Nigeria 0

·  Congo 0 Sudan 0

Group E

·  Guinea 2 Ghana 1

·  Namibia 0 Togo 1

Group F

·  Cape Verde Islands 2 Niger 1

·  Comoros 1 Chad 0

 

Nations League Tri-Series

Oceania (tri-series)

·  Fiji 2 Vanuatu 0

 



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on January 27, 2020
Last Updated on January 27, 2020

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing