April 8 to 14, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

April 8 to 14, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

April 8 to 14, 2019

 

 

Asia A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Bahrain

6

3

1

2

10

+2

2

Iran

6

3

1

2

10

+1

3

Australia

6

2

2

2

8

+1

4

Kuwait

6

2

0

4

6

-4

 

Kuwait and Australia came together with the intent to remain in League A. It was the Australians who scored twice in the first half, with both goals from the boot of Apostolos Giannou. Kuwait looked lethargic as they failed to get a shot at goal for the whole 45 minutes. After the break, Kuwait was able to alter the momentum of the game. A genius substitute brought Ahmed Al-Dhefiri onto the field, and with it a goal. However, defender Amer Al-Fadhel injured himself, and with Kuwait needing to use their final substitution early, the Socceroos were allowed back into the game, and neither side could find another goal. The Australians can take away from this experience, knowing they can win crucial games when it counts, but will need to review the setup of their squad for longevity over a lengthy campaign. Kuwait will drop to League B and will seek a way to rise back up from the second tier in two years’ time.

 

Iran needed a home win to top the group, but had to win by two goals to overcome the goal difference advantage that Bahrain had. For much of the game, it was defence that dominated both parties, even though Iran had more chances to score. The Bahrain back four held out for as long as possible, but the breakthrough came via Masoud Shojaei, who volleyed a blinder with his first touch, sending the home crowd into jubilation. That jubilation tripled in volume when Sardar Azmoun scored from long range in the 83rd minute. A minute later, he nearly secured the game with a similar shot, but smacked the ball against the post. The Bahrain players, however, never gave up. They caught the Iranian defence unfocused at a free kick, chipping the ball over to Abdulla Ali, who headed the ball beyond an advancing Beiranvand, and the ball trickled into the goal. That goal finalised the positions: Bahrain coming out on top, and advancing to the Asian semi finals of the Nations League.

 

 

Asia A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Pakistan

6

4

0

2

12

+6

2

India

6

2

2

2

8

-1

3

Iraq

6

2

2

2

8

-2

4

Hong Kong

6

1

2

3

5

-3

 

 

Iraq came from behind against Hong Kong to bounce off the bottom of Group A4. Hong Kong gained the lead in the second half, thanks to Chung Wei Keung. However, Ali Adnan kept Iraq in the hunt with his goal, before Safa Abdulla’s header caught the Hong Kong keeper out of position after he tried to rush out for a corner kick. Similarly, India came from a goal down to defeat Pakistan and finish second, thanks to a double from Ashique Kuruniyan. Both feet were used for the two goals.

 

Hong Kong will now drop to League B, whilst Pakistan will prepare to take on the other League A winners Bahrain in the semi finals.

 

 

Oceania A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Vanuatu

4

3

1

0

10

+7

2

American Samoa

4

1

1

2

4

-3

3

Samoa

4

1

0

3

3

-4

Vanuatu finished their campaign with a solid three-nil win over American Samoa. Vanuatu dominated the first half, producing two goals from Bong Kalo and Barry Mansale, before Dominique Fred, the left midfield substitute, snagged a third in stoppage time. Vanuatu now has reached the tri-playoffs full of confidence.

 

 

 

Oceania A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

New Zealand

4

3

1

0

10

+8

2

Solomon Islands

4

1

1

2

4

-4

3

Cook Islands

4

1

0

3

3

-4

The Solomon Islands managed, despite their opponent’s best efforts, to gain their first win for the tournament, thanks to a 70th minute Totori goal. Totori should have made it a double, but his penalty hit the woodwork. Still, the Cook Islands left the match with their heads up high, but will rue a late fast break that did not level the match, and therefore they will revisit the Nations League in League B.

 

 

 

Oceania A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Fiji

4

3

1

0

10

+7

2

Papua New Guinea

4

1

1

2

4

-5

3

Tahiti

4

1

0

3

3

-2

Fiji joins Vanuatu and New Zealand in the tri-playoffs to see who is crowned the Oceanian Nations League champion. This comes off the back of a three-goal win over Papua New Guinea. Two quick goals from Sahib and Saukuru in the first half set up the win, with Sahib scoring his second in injury time with a scissor kick that was too strong for the Papuan goalkeeper.

 

 

In Oceanian League B, Tonga had to come from behind against the Marshall Islanders to draw the game, thanks to an equalising header from veteran Unaloto Feao after he was swapped into a more attacking role. However, Guam still finished first in the group.

 

 

Palau, buoyed by last week’s win, scored first away to Tuvalu. However, by injury time of the first half, Tuvalu’s striker Alopua Petoa had scored twice, including a solid header from a corner. James Lepaio added another to finish off a solid campaign for Tuvalu and a rise to the big Oceanian League.

 

 

Asia B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Qatar

6

3

2

1

11

+6

2

East Timor

6

3

0

3

9

-3

3

Myanmar

6

2

2

2

8

0

4

Taiwan

6

2

0

4

6

-3

 

East Timor scored first through Filomeno, before Myanmar struck back in the 64th minute via Aung Thu and a little help from the crossbar. However, East Timor produced their third win in three games, as Ade shot low beyond the goalkeeper’s outstretched leg, and the Timorese pocketed all three points.

 

This meant that Taiwan needed to produce some immense win against Qatar in Doha. The Taiwanese certainly looked more likely to score in the first few minutes, but it was Qatari Almoez Ali who scored in the 27th minute. From there, Qatar dominated the game, as Taiwan saw their stay in League B dissipate. Qatar could not find another goal, despite plenty of chances, but one goal was enough to win the group and a place in League A.

 

 

Africa A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Ghana

3

1

2

0

5

+1

2

Kenya

3

1

1

1

4

+1

3

Guinea

4

1

1

2

4

-2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Guinea was on track to win against Ghana after a choice goal from Francois Kamano. However, their Guinean arch nemesis from their previous Nations League encounter, Christian Atsu, scored to level the match. The only way now Guinea can remain in League A is if Ghana defeat Kenya by four goals in the final game next week. A draw or win for Ghana will ensure a place in the semi finals.

 

 

 

Africa A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Côte d’Ivoire

4

2

1

1

7

+3

2

Congo DR

3

1

1

1

4

-1

3

Togo

3

0

2

1

2

-2

The Democratic Republic of Congo fought against the odds to deny Côte d’Ivoire any goals, before substitute Lina managed to sneak a header in the 84th minute into the net. The Congolese have a slight chance of winning the group, but must win by five away to Togo. They will instead focus on at least drawing against Togo, who will put their best foot forward and win to remain in League A.

 

 

Africa A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Egypt

3

2

1

0

7

+6

2

South Africa

4

1

1

2

4

-3

3

Mali

3

1

0

2

3

-3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The match between Mali and South Africa ebbed and flowed, with both sides dominating periods of the 90 minutes. However, Mali found a winner through Abdoulaye Diaby, ensuring the three points for the Malians. South Africa must now await the fate of the final match, where Egypt, having already progressed to the semi finals, play host to Mali. A draw for the Malians will not be enough, unless they manage to score three goals. They will have their sights set on upstaging the Egyptians, and thus remaining in League A for its second rendition.

 

 

Europe A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Germany

4

3

0

1

9

+7

2

France

3

2

0

1

6

+4

3

Ireland

3

0

0

3

0

-11

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ireland frustrated the Germans in Munich as they scored first through Glenn Whelan. The home side then settled, and had three goals, including two from Player of the Match Serge Gnabry. However, Ireland worked their way back into the game, and another goal from Whelan, as well as two penalties, of which one was converted, meant the game was tied. Similar to their previous encounter of twelve goals, the netters continued to grow, as Germany scored two more to win the game. However, Ireland can walk away from the match knowing they can hold off attacks for long periods and catch their opposition on the break. They will need to do this against France in their final Nations League match. France, on the other hand, requires a win by three goals to claim first place in the group.

 

 

Europe B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Serbia

4

3

0

1

9

+2

2

Finland

3

2

0

1

6

+2

3

Belarus

3

0

0

3

0

-4

The final minutes of Serbia and Finland contained five corners across both ends, as both coaches held their breath, waiting to see the final result. Serbia managed to hold on to the three points, and take first place in the group. The final match between Belarus and Finland will decide who jumps to League A. Finland must win to claim the right; but Serbia seem in the box seat, should Belarus hold out at home.

 

 

Africa B3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Libya

3

2

0

1

6

-2

2

Nigeria

4

1

1

2

4

+5

3

Cape Verde Islands

3

1

1

1

4

-3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nigeria looked set to win away to the Cape Verde Islands with goals from Iwobi and Ighalo. However, a double from Ryan Mendes ensured the home team snagged a crucial draw and point, now right on the tail of Nigeria. Nigeria cannot progress to League A, which is frustrating for the former powerhouse of Africa, especially after defeating the Cape Verde Islands previously by seven goals. Instead, they await the result of the final match, where Libya play host to the Cape Verdeans. A win for the latter will mean they advance to League A, whereas a draw will be enough to keep them in League B. Libya, however, have their sights set on reaching the top flight, and will not allow their opponents any chance to gain points.

 

 

Africa B4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Benin

3

2

0

1

6

+3

2

Malawi

3

2

0

1

6

+1

3

Rwanda

4

1

0

3

3

-4

Rwanda could not overcome a steely Benin side, even though the hosts needed to deal with two injuries inside the first fifteen minutes. Not to be perturbed, Benin went about scoring four goals from four different goalscorers, and the players have set up an epic final Match Day against Malawi. A draw will be enough for Benin to rise to League A, whereas Malawi must win at home to stop this. Rwanda is now relegated to League C.

 

 

Africa C1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Burkina Faso

3

2

1

0

7

+3

2

Madagascar

3

1

1

1

4

0

3

Liberia

4

1

0

3

3

-3

Madagascar lifted themselves off the bottom of the group after a hard-fought 2-1 win over Liberia. In much the same way as the last time the two nations faced off, it was the away team who scored first, only for the home side to wrestle back the full three points. The Liberians are now relegated, as a result, to League D, whilst Madagascar must now defeat Burkina Faso in Ouagadougou by at least two goals.

 

 

Africa C2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Angola

5

2

2

1

8

+1

2

Congo

5

2

2

1

8

+1

3

Central African Republic

5

1

2

2

5

-1

4

Gambia

5

1

2

2

5

-1

Angola gained the first away win in this group, set up potentially to top the group. The goal came from substitute Vá, after Central African Republic keeper Samolah successfully saved his previous two shots at goal. From there, Angola knuckled down in defence and did not let the home side past. Minutes later, the Congo also had an away win against the Gambia. Their defence also held on after going up through Ibara in the 16th minute, considering the home side shot at goal 16 times. Angola now plays host to the Gambia, whilst the Congo travels to the Central African Republic. There is still a chance all teams can finish on eight points apiece, however, Angola is in the box seat to take the group and rise to League B. The Gambia will need to produce a win to have any chance of remaining out of League D.

 

 

 

Africa C4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Mauritius

5

2

0

2

9

+7

2

Uganda

5

2

2

1

8

-2

3

Tanzania

5

2

1

2

7

+1

4

Zimbabwe

5

1

1

3

4

-6

In their previous encounter, Mauritius dominated Zimbabwe, winning three-nil. This week’s match was much the same, but Mauritius managed a fourth goal to keep their grip over a hapless Zimbabwean side. Prior to this Match Day, Tanzania only had the one goal against their name. Their six goals against Uganda were impeccable as they romped their near-neighbours, and lifted off the bottom of the group. The final Match Day will see Tanzania and Zimbabwe fight to remain in League C. Tanzania should be safe, considering they have three points and a goal difference buffer of seven. Instead, Tanzania will be vying for the top place. That will only happen if Uganda and Mauritius draw, and Tanzania wins by seven goals. That is unlikely, and a draw will see Mauritius advance to League B, whilst Uganda must win at home to rise out of League C.

 

April 11

Nations League Match Day 5

Africa League A

·  Guinea 1 Ghana 1

·  Congo DR 1 Cote d’Ivoire 0

·  Mali 2 South Africa 1

Europe League A

·  Germany 5 Ireland 3

Europe League B

·  Serbia 2 Finland 1

 

Nations League Match Day 6

Oceania League A

·  Vanuatu 3 American Samoa 0

·  Solomon Islands 1 Cook Islands 0

·  Fiji 3 Papua New Guinea 0

Oceania League B

·  Tonga 2 Marshall Islands 2

·  Tuvalu 3 Palau 1

Asia League A

·  Kuwait 1 Australia 2

·  Iran 2 Bahrain 1

·  Hong Kong 1 Iraq 2

·  India 2 Pakistan 1

Asia League B

·  East Timor 2 Myanmar 1

·  Qatar 1 Taiwan 0

 

 

April 13

Nations League Match Day 5

Africa League B

·  Cape Verde Islands 2 Nigeria 2

·  Benin 4 Rwanda 1

Africa League C

·  Madagascar 2 Liberia 1

·  Central African Republic 0 Angola 1

·  Gambia 0 Congo 1

·  Mauritius 4 Zimbabwe 0

·  Tanzania 6 Uganda 1

 

Women’s Futsal MD 14

Uruguay 4-1 Iran

Portugal 0-2 Russia

Iceland 3-1 Denmark

Croatia 4-0 France

Brazil 1-0 Germany

Tunisia 1-3 Poland

England 2-2 Colombia

Belgium 2-2 Senegal



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on April 19, 2019
Last Updated on April 19, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing