May 6 to 12, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

May 6 to 12, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

May 6 to 12, 2019

The first legs of the Women’s Nations Cup Playoffs began this week.

 

The United States put one leg towards the Nations Cup with a resounding five-nil slaughter of Haiti, including a Morgan brace. It was Dahlkemper who opened the scoresheet with her head, before Tobin Heath added a second before the break. The American women then turned up the heat in the second half, first with Morgan’s double, before McDonald came off the bench to bag a goal herself. Haiti had no answers for the American side, and will have to play their greatest game ever to have any hope of qualifying for the Nations Cup.

 

Guyana continued their momentum from seeing off Canada by scoring in the 83rd minute against Mexico to take the first leg. It was Hazelwood’s effort that finally broke the deadlock after neither side could find the touch to free a teammate for an effective shot on goal. Mexico must now win by two goals to assure qualification for the Nations Cup.

 

Jamaica has placed one hand on qualification after defeating Trinidad and Tobago by three goals. Cameron opened the scoring, before Matthews gained the final touch off a Chang shot. Finally, attacking midfielder McCoy scored Jamaica’s third, setting the Jamaicans up nicely for the return leg. The Trinidadians must come out next week ready to take it to their opponents to have any chance of making it to France.

 

In the first half between New Caledonia and New Zealand, the away side sat back in defence and awaited a counterattacking opportunity. The roles reversed slightly in the second half, only for both defensive structures to hold firm, so much so that neither the Caledonians nor the Kiwis managed a single shot on target. That is sure to turn around in the second leg next week.

 

Uzbekistan hoped to follow in the Men’s footsteps and qualify for a major tournament, as the Men did last year in the World Cup. Though they dominated the midfield against Iran, the Uzbeks could not find an effective path towards goal. As the match progressed, it seemed likely that Iran would have the advantage in the reverse leg. Finally, substitute Zoirova scored, giving the Uzbeks a chance, and in the process telling Iran they must score twice next week to qualify for France.

 

Jordan’s recent form placed them in good stead in taking on the UAE, where the latter dispatched the Matildas in their group. Two goals on the stroke of the break via Sarah Abu-Sabbah and Maysa Jbarah gave Jordan the advantage. By the hour mark, the Jordanians scored another two, with Abu-Sabbah gaining a brace for the match. The UAE must find a way to goal, at least four times, in the reverse leg to salvage any pride and a chance to qualify for the Nations Cup.

 

It looked like Mali would have a slender lead against Morocco going into the second leg, after Hawa Tangara slotted in the sixth minute, but nothing came after. Suddenly a flurry of goals came Mali’s way, thanks to a brace from Bassira Toure and Selikene Traore. With a four-goal lead, it will be tricky for Morocco next week.

 

Côte d’Ivoire went one better than Mali and slotted five goals. Three of them came in the first half, thanks to Tia N’rehy and a brace for Nahi Josée. Diakite Binta added a fourth, and then, thanks to an N’Guessan header, the Ivoirians left with a handful. Ghana had no answer across the entire game, and will have to restructure to have any hope of nabbing back those five goals.

 

Colombia started well away to Argentina by scoring first through Rincón’s free kick. However, Argentina returned the favour two minutes later through Jaimes. Not to be outdone, Colombia went on the offensive and Echeverri slotted a brilliant goal, gobsmacking the Argentianian defence. It took longer this time for the home side, but Benítez levelled the scores again. When Jaimes won a penalty, fouled by goalkeeper Sepúlveda, the crowd sensed a red card for the Colombian goalkeeper. No card, in fact, was given, but Jaimes still scored the penalty. From there, the Argentine onslaught stepped up with a brace from Banini and a third for Jaimes. Colombia now need to overcome a deficit of four goals to progress to France.

 

 

Europe I

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Netherlands

8

6

1

1

19

+17

2

Romania

8

5

0

3

15

+3

3

Austria

8

3

0

5

9

-4

4

Montenegro

8

3

0

5

9

-7

5

Faroe Islands

8

2

1

5

7

-9

In a dress rehearsal for the Nations Cup, the Netherlands played their final match against Montenegro, and showed their true intent as they piled on four second-half goals to win five-nil, from five different scorers. The Faroe Islanders posted their second win, defeating Austria 2-1 after going up by two goals in the first half. That lesser goal difference placed Austria ahead of Montenegro on the ladder.

May 11

Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Playoffs

·  USA 5 Haiti 0

·  Guyana 1 Mexico 0

·  Jamaica 3 Trinidad and Tobago 0

·  New Caledonia 0 New Zealand 0

·  Uzbekistan 1 Iran 0

·  Jordan 4 UAE 0

·  Mali 4 Morocco 0

·  Côte d’Ivoire 5 Ghana 0

·  Argentina 6 Colombia 2


Women’s Nations Cup Qualifiers Match Day extras

·  Netherlands 5 Montenegro 0

·  Faroe Islands 2 Austria 1


Women’s Futsal MD 18

Egypt 2-3 Australia

France 3-2 Morocco

Nigeria 1-2 Portugal

Croatia 2-1 Uruguay

Switzerland 2-2 England

Brazil 4-2 Belgium

Poland 3-2 Sweden



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on May 11, 2019
Last Updated on May 11, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing