Women's Rankings and Finalised Draw for Women's Nations Cup 2019

Women's Rankings and Finalised Draw for Women's Nations Cup 2019

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides the rankings and finalised draw for the qualified Women's Nations Cup nations.

"

Qualified Women’s Nations Cup Rankings May 26:

Pot 1

17th France (hosts)

1st Brazil

2nd Poland

3rd Germany

5th Netherlands

6th Spain

 

Pot 2

7th Mexico

9th United States

12th Argentina

13th England

14th New Zealand

15th Italy

 

Pot 3

19th Uruguay

20th Bosnia/Herzegovina

22ndGhana

23rd Ukraine

24th Croatia

27th Iran

 

Pot 4

32nd South Korea

39th South Africa

54th Switzerland

66th Trinidad and Tobago

78th Mali

93rd Jordan

 

Finalised Draw for Women’s Nations Cup


Group A

France

England

Uruguay

South Korea


The group of death is clearly Group A, where France and England will play on opening night. Uruguay is coming of age as a team, and will give France and England a true run for their money. South Korea, the best Asian side, will give their all. If they cannot reach the top two, they certainly will vie for the best third-place teams, of which four will advance into the Round of 16.

 

Group B

Spain

New Zealand

Croatia

South Africa


The Spaniards are the favourite team in Group B. They qualified with ease, and are sure to see off New Zealand without so much as a whiff. Croatia are unknown, as they performed well to qualify for the Nations Cup, but when it comes to the big tournament, nobody knows how far they can go. South Africa automatically qualified for the Nations Cup without the need of the Playoffs, so they are in contention for the top two. If not, they are likely to be one of the better-placed third sides, and should make it through to the Round of 16. As for New Zealand, they looked vulnerable in periods against New Caledonia, and were able to only score two goals against them across the two Playoff games. The Kiwis will have to step up in their second and third games and produce results against Croatia and South Africa, or they will be one of the eight teams to exit early.

 

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Iran

Mali


The top two in Group C are clearly the Netherlands and Italy. Who tops the group largely comes down to their first game against one another. Though Iran and Mali are to be commended for breaking through the Playoffs to qualify, very few analysts are placing their faith in either side to progress to the Round of 16. Iran may have a chance, but it will depend on the result of their first game, against Mali, followed by their ability to keep the Dutch and Italians quiet on the scoresheet.

 

Group D

Germany

Argentina

Ukraine

Trinidad and Tobago


Group D sees four formidable opponents. Germany are likely to top the group, with Argentina a close second, pending the Germans can overcome the Argentine attack in the first match. The Ukraine fared extremely well in qualification and know how to win important matches. Trinidad and Tobago showed they are able to overcome a deficit, albeit across two games. Will the Caribbean side hold their own against the Germans, Argentinians and Ukrainians? Possibly not, as we see those three likely to progress, with the Ukraine as a highly placed third place team.

 

Group E

Brazil

USA

Bosnia/Herzegovina

Switzerland


A grudge match for the ages will commence Group E, with Brazil taking on the Americans. These are the favourites for the group. However, do not knock off Switzerland. The Swiss, much like their male counterparts, have improved in recent years, and will be able to play alongside the Brazilians and Americans for long periods of the game. Some believe these matches will be a case of who can score the most, rather than a focus on defence. Bosnia/Herzegovina could also provide an upset and defeat or draw against Brazil and/or USA, but they will have to keep producing their best to have any chance. It is likely that Brazil, the USA, and Switzerland will advance to the Round of 16.

 

Group F

Poland

Mexico

Ghana

Jordan


Group F seems the most open of the six groups, where aside from Poland, ranked second in the world, any team can claim a spot in the knockout stages. The Mexicans are a powerful side, ready to attack at any moment. Ghana managed six goals to overcome the Ivoirians in the Playoffs, and that result has opponents taking notice. Jordan, though the lowest ranked side in the Nations Cup, will give their all and hope for an upset win.

 

Upcoming friendlies will be an indicator of the make up of the various teams and the tactics the coaches will use in the Nations Cup. Those that did not have Playoffs will be in better knick after an exhaustive qualification campaign, particularly the European sides, along with Brazil, Uruguay, South Africa and South Korea.



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on May 25, 2019
Last Updated on May 25, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing