October 21 to 27, 2019 (Copa America Qualifiers) Global Futbol Matches

October 21 to 27, 2019 (Copa America Qualifiers) Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for Global Futbol matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

October 21 to 27, 2019 (Copa America)

 

In Copa America Qualifying this week, with Mexico and Venezuela guaranteed a top-two place in the Group, Venezuela hosted Puerto Rico, though there was a huge Puerto Rican contingency in the crowd that it felt more like a home game in reverse. Salomon Rondón should have scored early for Venezuela, only to hit the woodwork. More opportunities came the way of the hosts, though they seemed to attempt the sneaky pass to a teammate instead of simply taking the shot. Early in the second half, Puerto Rico’s only real attempt on goal came via Alec Díaz, only for his one-on-one effort to miss the mark. Rondón then scored with his head, assisted by Player of the Match Yangel Herrera, and Venezuela held firm for the single-goal win, the same score as their previous encounter.

 

The Bahamans hosted Mexico, where their last battle ended two-nil in favour of the Mexicans. Two quick goals from Jose Macías and Carlos Antuna had the crowd thinking the match was over before it began. After a series of saves from the Bahaman goalkeeper, Macías found a way into the back of the net in the eighth minute. Antuna’s goal was a run from the corner of the 18-yard box and a sliding shot that bypassed everyone. However, the hosts did not back down, and worked back into the match. Lesly St Fleur could have scored, but since three defenders were marking him closely, he tried in vain for a chip shot, thinking Guillermo Ochoa would advance off his line. It mattered little as the ball flew over the bar. After the break, the Bahamas side received their breakthrough as Marcel Joseph received the ball running from right midfield and finished with his left. From there, neither side had any decent chances, and the game ended 2-1 for Mexico’s fifth win of the Qualifiers.

 

 

Copa America Q Group A

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Mexico

   7

5

2

0

17

+10

2

Venezuela

6

5

1

0

16

+8

3

Cuba

6

2

1

3

7

-1

4

Puerto Rico

7

1

1

5

4

-5

5

Bahamas

6

0

1

5

1

-12

 

In Group B, Canada gained their first home win with a three-nil victory over Suriname. The visitors looked the goods early as they hit the woodwork and had the better chances. Jonathan David then stepped up and scored twice in four minutes as halftime approached. Jonathan Osario added to the tally after the hour mark, thus ending any Suriname comeback. Canada now are in with a shot of gaining third place.

 

Guatemala secured their qualification for the Copa America with their sixth win in a row, this time against the US Virgin Islands. Jorge Vargas opened the tale for Guatemala, leading onto a through pass and slotting home with his left boot. The hosts seemed to have the ascendancy; only right before the break, the Islanders drew level via Aaron Dennis. Guatemala remained unperturbed and quickly replied after the break with a great team goal completed by Alejandro Galindo. Stheven Robles then added to the tally after he stole the ball off the goalkeeper and ran into the open goal. Three goals to one became the final score, with Guatemala knowing they would be in the Copa America next year.

 

 

Copa America Q Group B

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Guatemala

6

6

0

0

18

+10

2

Ecuador

6

3

1

2

10

+5

3

Suriname

7

2

2

3

8

-4

4

Canada

7

2

1

4

7

-3

5

US Virgin Islands

6

0

2

4

2

-8

 

In Group H, Haiti hosted Panama, while Colombia flew to the Dominican Republic to gain an advantage on Panama in the group standings. In the former, the game began as a shootout between Panama’s Gabriel Torres and Haitian Frantzdy Pierrot. Torres scored in the twelfth minute with a power shot no goalkeeper could stop. Haiti’s shots were wayward, and it would seem they would not score until a penalty decision (that to the naked eye was not there, but between the handball and the push, it was clear on replay). Pierrot netted the resulting spot kick. Straight after the break, Torres headed home to take the lead again, only for Pierrot to reply ten minutes later. Substitute Herve Bazile scored the winner for the hosts; their first win of the Qualifiers, whilst inflicting Panama’s first loss.

 

In the Dominican Republic, the hosts took the early lead over Colombia thanks to a curling Ronaldo Vásquez goal. However, missed chances, including one hitting the woodwork, kept Colombia in the match. James Rodríguez scored three times; once right before the break, and two more by the 66th minute. From there, the match was over, and Colombia gained their fourth win for the Qualifiers.

 

A draw or win in their final match against Panama will see them win Group H. Panama’s main rival is Haiti, who are five points behind. Haiti should defeat the Turks and Caicos Islands, which could mean their away match to the Dominican Republic is the match to take second place. However, will twelve points be enough? Panama should win their final match against the Turks and Caicos Islands, ensuring second place and possibly qualification for Copa America.

 

 

Copa America Q Group H

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Colombia

7

4

3

0

15

+9

2

Panama

6

3

2

1

11

+5

3

Dominican Republic

7

2

1

4

7

-5

4

Haiti

6

1

3

2

6

-2

5

Turks and Caicos Islands

6

0

3

3

3

-7

 

 

With Argentina guaranteed a top-two spot, and Bolivia in real danger of being perhaps the only South American side not to qualify, the next Match Day in Group I was going to tell who had the tenacity to qualify. The British Virgin Islands played hosts to Honduras, hoping to rise off the bottom of the group. Honduras, however, wanted to secure second place with two games remaining. Though the British Virgin Islanders looked solid working from defence to the other end, they failed to look dangerous in the final third, with the Honduran defence holding firm. Down the other end, offsides and poor finishes kept the visitors from scoring. Right before the break, Brian Velásquez got onto a chipped through ball and ruffled the net. That was the winner, and guaranteed Honduras a top-two finish.

 

Upon hearing the goal by Honduras, Bolivia could sense their chance to qualify slip away. The 63rd-minute goal by Juwon Roberts for Antigua and Barbuda made it harder as the fight for third place became the order of the match. Antigua and Barbuda always had control of the match, and though they failed to score another goal, Roberts’ one was enough to bring them level on points with Bolivia.

 

Bolivia must produce a result away to Honduras in their final match, because Antigua and Barbuda are taking on the bottom side in the British Virgin Islands and should win that match. As for Argentina and Honduras, their battle on the final Match Day may determine who goes top and who must face off against other second-placed sides for qualification for the Copa America.

 

 

Copa America Q Group I

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Argentina

6

5

0

1

15

+15

2

Honduras

6

4

2

0

14

+8

3

Bolivia

7

2

1

4

7

-3

4

Antigua and Barbuda

7

2

1

4

7

-5

5

British Virgin Islands

6

1

0

5

3

-15

 

Group C saw the battle for second place, with Peru basically having first place sewn up. Nicaragua faced off against Belize, where the away side gained the upper hand early via Deon McCauley’s shot into an open goal. Nicaragua worked their way back into the match, though it seemed their final passages of play would not produce the equaliser. That came in stoppage time from Byron Bonilla, gaining Nicaragua’s fourth draw for the Qualifiers and third on home soil.

 

Peru secured their place in the Copa America with a five-goal drubbing against El Salvador. Paulo Guerrero scored twice in six minutes to give the Peruvians the edge at the break. Andy Polo and Christian Cueva then scored, using the space on the right wing to their advantage, before Jefferson Farfán stepped off the bench and slotted a penalty.

 

Second place is still on the cards for all teams. El Salvador play Belize at home, with the hope of gaining a vital three points in their final match. Nicaragua must defeat Aruba on home turf, before flying to Peru on the final Match Day. Aruba must win against Nicaragua and Belize and hope that the three teams above them can only draw their remaining matches, at best. However, ten points may not be enough to qualify for the Copa America.

 

 

Copa America Q Group C

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Peru

7

5

2

0

17

+14

2

El Salvador

7

2

2

3

8

-5

3

Nicaragua

6

1

4

1

7

-1

4

Belize

6

2

1

3

7

-4

5

Aruba

6

1

1

4

4

-4

 

In Group D, Barbados played their final match for the Qualifiers, hosting the Americans. The visitors gained the upper hand by scoring in the fifth minute, with Christian Pulisic powering home into the back of the net. Barbados could not keep up with the US as they then scored in the second half from Michael Bradley, earning a fifth win and a grand chance at qualifying for the Copa America next year.

 

Their rivals, Chile, hosted the Cayman Islands in the hope of overtaking the US on goal difference. Four goals in the first half helped go a long way as Chilean’s Jose Fuenzalida, Eduardo Vargas, Alexis Sánchez and Charles Aránguiz scored with relative ease. Eric Pulgar made it five goals after the break, before Aránguiz added to the tally. The score should have been closer to double figures; only the Chilean attack missed easy goals. Still, they jumped above the US with a game left in Group D.

 

 

Copa America Q Group D

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Chile

7

5

1

1

16

+14

2

USA

7

5

1

1

16

+12

3

Guyana

7

2

2

3

8

-7

4

Barbados

8

2

1

5

7

-10

5

Cayman Islands

7

0

3

4

3

-10

 

In Group E, Bermuda looked the most likely nation to join Paraguay in either first or second place, as their final two matches are both home games.

 

First, St Lucia had five offsides in their first half against Trinidad and Tobago in a game that petered into a scoreless draw. Trinidadian Marcus Joseph had two late attempts, only to fire wide of the mark.

 

Paraguay had the better chances across the match when they flew to St Kitts and Nevis, hitting the woodwork twice in the first half. Substitute Federico Santander then gave Paraguay the lead with his first touch, bombing beyond the St Kitts goalkeeper. However, Gerard Williams remained forward from a corner and was passed the ball in a position good enough for him to level the match. In spite of best efforts from both sides, the game ended in a draw.

 

Bermuda still have a chance at topping the group as they are the only team with two games remaining (both at home). They face Paraguay in the first match, which will determine if Paraguay have the goods to close out the Qualifiers with a win or draw away. Trinidad and Tobago must win against St Kitts and Nevis by a high margin, or face missing out on the Copa America. St Lucia could very well win away in their final match and wrestle into second place.

 

 

Copa America Q Group E

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Paraguay

7

4

2

1

14

+10

2

Bermuda

6

2

3

1

9

+2

3

St Lucia

7

2

2

3

8

-2

4

Trinidad and Tobago

7

2

2

3

8

-5

5

St Kitts and Nevis

7

2

1

4

7

-5

 

Jamaica hosted bottom-side Monserrat in Group F, hoping to solidify their place at the head of the group. When Junior Flemmings scored early in the second half after both sides had a chance each in the first, it seemed Jamaica would run out easy winners. Montserrat’s substitute Jamie Allen had other ideas and came on to score two counterattacking goals to finish off their Copa America campaign with a win and give Grenada a solid chance at qualifying for the tournament.

 

That chance for Grenada only increased when Uruguay hosted Anguilla. The visitors held out for a scoreless draw, mainly because Uruguay’s four shots on goal in the first half all fell straight to the goalkeeper. In the second half, the Uruguayans looked weary, with no cohesion to score a goal against the lowly-ranked side.

 

Grenada can snatch qualification if they beat Uruguay at home and Anguilla hold firm the Jamaicans as they have done against Uruguay. A win for Uruguay will determine qualification. Jamaica must win to have any chance of qualifying, particularly if Uruguay also win, as they will have to fare well against other second-placed teams. A loss will probably see them miss out.

 

 

Copa America Q Group F

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Uruguay

7

4

1

2

13

+8

2

Jamaica

7

4

1

2

13

-1

3

Grenada

7

3

3

1

12

+5

4

Anguilla

7

0

5

2

5

-2

5

Montserrat

8

1

2

5

5

-10

 

Group G saw St Vincent and the Grenadines host Dominica. However, the home side could not find an effective way to goal, and in their drawing of young blood after the 2018 World Cup side, look unable to qualify for the Copa America. That is a far cry from their prowess leading up to the World Cup.

 

Brazil secured their place in the Copa America with a 2-1 win over Costa Rica at home. Brazil looked in control of the first half, culminating in goals for Gabriel Jesus and Roberto Firmino. Costa did gain a goal back from Celso Borges’ free kick, but it was not enough as the South Americans assured their dominance.

 

Costa Rica next face Curaçao in the hope of securing second place, before flying to Dominica in what may be the game that determines progression to the Copa America. St Vincent and the Grenadines must brush off any disappointment from their draw and tackle Brazil head on. A win is the only option to give them a slim hope at qualification, while they rely on Curaçao to defeat Costa Rica and Dominica, and Costa Rica to draw on the final day.

 

 

Copa America Q Group G

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Brazil

7

5

2

0

17

+12

2

Costa Rica

6

3

1

2

10

+4

3

Dominica

7

3

1

3

10

-1

4

St Vincent and the Grenadines

7

2

2

3

8

-3

5

Curaçao

7

1

0

6

3

-12

 

October 24

CONMEBOL Qualifiers MD8

First in Group Qualifies

Lowest two second-place miss out.

Group A

·  Venezuela 1 Puerto Rico 0

·  Bahamas 1 Mexico 2

·  Cuba 127th bye

Group B

·  Canada 3 Suriname 0

·  Guatemala 3 US Virgin Islands 1

·  Bye: Ecuador 14th

Group H

·  Haiti 3 Panama 2

·  Dominican Republic 1 Colombia 3

·  Turks and Caicos Islands 177th bye

Group I

·  British Virgin Islands 0 Honduras 1

·  Antigua and Barbuda 1 Bolivia 0

·  Argentina 16th bye

Group C

·  Nicaragua 1 Belize 1

·  Peru 5 El Salvador 0

·  Bye: Aruba 148th

Group D

·  Barbados 0 USA 2

·  Chile 6 Cayman Islands 0

·  Bye: Guyana 134th

Group E

·  St Lucia 0 Trinidad and Tobago 0

·  St Kitts and Nevis 1 Paraguay 1

·  Bye: Bermuda 167th

Group F

·  Jamaica 1 Montserrat 2

·  Uruguay 0 Anguilla 0

·  Bye: Grenada 130th

Group G

·  St Vincent and the Grenadines 0 Dominica 0

·  Brazil 2 Costa Rica 1

·  Bye: Curaçao 179th

 

 



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on April 30, 2020
Last Updated on September 4, 2020

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing