July 29-August 4, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

July 29-August 4, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

July 29-August 4, 2019

The inaugural Nations League reached its conclusion this week.

 

Japan started off looking like scoring against South Korea, first through Genki Haraguchi and then Junya Ito. Both players smacked the right hand post. However, the latter’s shot ricocheted into the middle of the box, where Haraguchi was front and centre of the goal, and slotted into the netting. Then, straight after halftime, Takumi Minamino shot from long range and placed the home side in a winning position. Ito then capped the match off with a low shot around the Korean goalkeeper. Sloppy defence allowed the visitors to peg one back via Lee Jae-Sung, but it was too late as Japan booked a home Nations League Final.

 

Japan’s opponent became Pakistan after the home side found their way back into the match against Bahrain. It was Bahraini’s Ali Madan who scored first, heading from a brilliant cross from the left flank. The, two minutes before halftime, a cross found Rahis Nabi’s header as he tucked it left of the goalkeeper. Rahis Nabi had a chance to score again before the break, only to send his shot wide. Pakistan kept the majority of attacking play going in the second half, with Bahrain only gaining one shot on target that required a solid save. As the match progressed, extra time seemed likely, even though Pakistan received two injuries in central midfield. It mattered little as Pakistan showed patience into extra time and scored via Faheem Ahmed in the 102nd minute, and held on for a vital victory.

 

South Korea gained the Nations League bronze medal after defeating Bahrain by four goals. The Bahraini side only had a couple of shots that came close to scoring after Son Heung-Min had scored a hat trick and Ju Se-Jung had netted in the 66th minute. Son’s first was a header from a timely cross. His second hit the underside of the crossbar as he shot from the edge of the box, and his third capped off a brilliant team display of passing.

 

The Final played out in similar fashion to the Third Place Match. Pakistan looked out of sorts, particularly with their two main central midfielders out due to injury. Their attempts only came after the score was already three-nil. Japan’s first goal came off a deflection, with Kensuke Nagai’s shot too powerful to be truly thwarted. Genki Haraguchi then led onto a cross from Takumi Minamino and his header eased the ball into the net. After, Nagai gained a brace after Musashi Suzuki’s shot was first parried. Nagai collected the ball first and shot straight back, with the goalkeeper unable to get down in time. By halftime, the Japanese crowd was celebrating. Pakistan gained a consolation goal via Mohammed Adel, who did his best in central midfield, but the damage was already done. And so Japan is crowned the Asian Nations League champions, and will face Jordan in the final Asian Cup Qualifier before preparing for that tournament in January.

 

In the African Nations League, Cameroon hosted Ghana in an epic Semi Final. Cameroon started with guns blazing. Striker Vincent Aboubakar tried to chip the goalkeeper, only for it to be thwarted. The ball bobbled to Moumi Ngamaleu, whose header trickled into the open net. Aboubakar then had a second chance to chip the keeper when found free again, and did so. The Ghanaians pegged back a goal through Samuel Owusu, and with only a goal in it at halftime, it seemed the game would continue to be tight. However, Cameroon dominated the next period, attacking relentlessly. When Christian Bassogog worked down the right wing, he found Aboubakar free in the middle, and the striker had no troubles scoring his second goal. Aboubakar then set up Bassogog to seal it for the Cameroonians, only for his shot to power right over the bar. Late in the match, Ghana had a couple of chances, but Jordan Ayew’s miss was crucial. A late Emmanuel Boateng netter could not stop the victory going to the home side.

 

In the match between Egypt and Côte d’Ivoire, both sides had one shot each, before Côte d’Ivoire took charge. The left foot of Maxwel Cornet found the net in the 25th minute, and it seemed it would be Côte d’Ivoire’s day. Egypt worked back into the match, and the second half saw Ahmed Sayed Zizo score with his head, coming off the left hand post and into the net. Zizo then went on a brilliant run, combining with Trezeguet, before passing it long in front of Trezeguet, who hit the ball first time and into the goal. However, Maxwel Cornet caught a loose clearance and snagged an equaliser. At 2-2, the match was up for the taking. Mahmoud Kahraba nearly scored with his head, only to hit the crossbar and out of play. Then Trezeguet’s shot hit the post, and Kahraba pocketed the loose ball and tapped in the goal. Egypt held on for a solid victory, despite some late Ivoirian efforts, and a chance to take on Cameroon in the Final.

 

Ghana used the Third Place Match as preparation for their trip to Brazil next week, and it showed as they dominated the first half’s possession. However, the half was overshadowed by a high amount of offsides. Côte d’Ivoire’s Habib Maïga had the best chance in the second half thanks to poor Ghanaian defence, but his shot flew wide. Ghana grew into the latter stages, with a shot from Emmanuel Boateng blocked, before Mohammed Kudus attempted, only for Sylvain Gbohouo to make a crucial save. As the 90th minute came about, Nicholas Pépé scored with his head, sending the Ivoirians into the lead. The Ghanaians tried to equalise, but to no avail, and Côte d’Ivoire finished with the bronze medal.

 

The Final in the African Nations League took place in Cameroon. Arnaud Djoum had the best chance early for the home side, but Egyptian goalkeeper Mohamed El-Shenawy saved it. Then just after the half-hour mark, Vincent Aboubakar continued as he did in the previous match and chipped the goalkeeper, scoring the first of the match. Moumi Ngamaleu then tapped in the goal after Pierre Kunde shot twice. His first was blocked, then the ball spun back to him and he shot again. It ricocheted off Ngamaleu’s hip, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way, and Cameroon had their second. However, there was still plenty of time for Egypt to come back, and Tarek Hamed’s boot ensured they pegged one back. But Cameroon managed to hold on, with Ambroise Oyongo deemed Player of the Match, and take home the trophy.

 

In the Oceanian Tri-Nations League, Vanuatu hosted New Zealand, needing to make up for the loss by two goals against Fiji. Michel Coulon started well with a header that rose over the crossbar. Selwyn Vatu had the next chance, but goalkeeper Michael Woud made an easy save. New Zealand then looked to have some momentum, but it was Vanuatu who punched first via Jeffrey Bob. Both sides had a chance each before the break, with the Kiwi defence holding firm against some long-range attempts from Vanuatu. Vanuatu had the better play in the second half, again thwarted by the opposition defence. Andre de Jong had the best chance for New Zealand with his header bouncing off the right hand post and into the goalkeeper’s arms. De Jong was found alone against the goalkeeper, but the latter stuck out his left foot and saved what seemed a certain goal. From the resulting corner, Michael McGlinchey’s header hit the post, before de Jong slammed home the equaliser. He should have scored the winner in the 83rd minute as he dabbled around the goalkeeper, only to hit the base of the post. Vatu had a chance as well, but his was a low percentage chance, and it petered to nothing and the game ended one-all.

 

New Zealand hosted Fiji five days later, knowing they needed a win to gain the Nations League gold medal. A draw would give it to Fiji. De Jong continued his post-hitting ways early, banging the bottom right post. Tim Payne then scored in the eighth minute to lead the match. Goalkeeper Benaminio Mateinaaqara kept out three crucial shots, before the fourth was again the man Payne. In the second half, Payne collected his hat trick with a long-range shot over the goalkeeper. Matthew Ridenton then scored after he stole the ball. From there, New Zealand celebrated the final few minutes, giving the opposition little chances for a consolation goal. Fiji hold their heads high with receiving the silver medal, but at the end of the day, the Kiwis were far too strong and deserve to be Oceanian Nations League champions.

 

Lukas Klostermann was Germany’s early attacker from left back as they took on England in the first European Nations League Semi Final. However, it was the brilliance of Callum Hudson-Odoi for England who opened the scoring, as the ball bounced off a combination of Kimmich and Hector as they foiled each other in defence. İlkay Gündoğan was next on the German cards to shoot, only for Nick Pope to parry the ball straight back down the field. Leon Goretzka later leapt towards the ball to head towards goal, after having initially crossed, but to no avail as Pope’s right hand stopped the ball. At the other end, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain found the ball front and centre, but Hector slid in the way. Later, Goretzka shot, hitting the crossbar. Since Pope was on the ground, Gündoğan was able to level the scores from the rebounding ball right before halftime. Klostermann then made a late charge, crossing to Gündoğan, whose volley was thwarted by Harry Maguire.

 

The second half was a tight tussle, with only Kimmich shooting from long range for the Germans. Goretzka then crossed into Julian Brandt, but his header fell straight to Pope. Again, Brandt’s head aimed poorly after another cross from the right wing, this time from Nadiem Amiri. The 90 minutes ended all square as it had at halftime.

 

Extra time brought about a quick goal from substitute Suat Serdar, whose shot fired so fast that Pope could not get anything on the ball. Timo Werner then came off the bench and scored Germany’s third goal. Raheem Sterling pegged a second late from a cross, but it seemed too late. Germany held onto the ball for the last two minutes, before Toni Kroos found himself free, shot and scored. The match ended 4-2 after extra time, and Germany found a place in the Final.

 

The Dutch then hosted the Czech Republic in the other Semi Final. It was the away side who opened the scoring via Jakub Jankto. Ondrášek then hit the post and Martin Dolezal banged the ball into the semi-open goal. On the back foot, the Netherlands’ Myron Boadu had a shot, but it flew straight to goalkeeper Ondrej Kolář. Daley Blind’s shot then carried to the right of goal in the 26th minute. Boadu nearly had a goal, were it not for Kolář’s outstretched right hand. Then, despite an injury, Luuk de Jong slotted around two defenders and Kolář, giving the home side a chance to win. Luka Masopust had other ideas, but his shot sailed up and out. At the other end, Blind perfectly set up Luuk de Jong, with the volley just missing. That was enough for the latter, as he wa substituted at the break.

 

His replacement Memphis Depay nearly set up Boadu straight away. Frenckie de Jong then tried from long range, and Georginio Wijnaldum’s shot needed a Kolář save. Steven Berghuis also longed for goal deep in the pocket, but to no avail. For the Czechs, Josef Hušbauer nearly sealed the match in the 75th minute. Quincy Promes then nearly equalised, but the Czech Republic held on for a crucial victory and a place in the Final.

 

In the Final, the Czechs ensured the Germans did not attack down the right wing as they had done against England. It took until the 24th minute for Julian Brandt to come close to scoring. Gündoğan’s shot and Serge Gnabry’s header off a corner were also saved by Kolář. Goretzka’s shot, meanwhile, was half-blocked, luckily, as the Germans tightened the screws. However, the scoreless match by halftime meant the Czechs knew they were one goal away from the gold medal, despite having no shots by this point.

 

In the second half, Brandt’s shot needed another Kolář save; his parry fell straight to Goretzka, and the resulting shot smacked the post. Then, in the 64th minute, Gündoğan cut back from the left wing and dribbled to shoot, finally breaking the deadlock. Brandt then tried twice from a similar position, but again a left-handed save stopped the ball. In the second passage of play, Gündoğan then missed to the left of the goal as Germany sought a sealing goal. However, Toma Souček found an 85th-minute equaliser as the substitute celebrated hard, knowing the side were likely taking the Germans into extra time. The Czech defensive structure held firm as the 90 minutes played out.

 

In extra time, Ondrášek and Vladimir Darida combined, only for the ball to be cleared by Klostermann. In the second allotment of fifteen minutes, substitute Sebastian Rudy tried for goal, but could not overcome Kolář. A wayward throw from ter Stegen nearly gifted Ondrášek a goal, only for the goalkeeper to hold on tight. From there, penalties ensued.

 

The Czech Republic were never in doubt, particularly when Kroos missed, after Amiri, Král, Brandt and Ondrášek all slotted their penalties. Kadeřábek then put ahead the Czechs. Tah’s penalty hit the post, and on match point, Ševčík pocketed the goal, and gave the away side the gold medal and a nation proud of their players.

 

Meanwhile, the bronze medal match saw Depay score just after halftime to give the Netherlands the lead over the English at Wembley. Tyrone Mings’ unfortunate own goal sealed the fate for England, as the Dutch gained third place in the European Nations League.

 

Across in the Americas Nations League, Vidal had the better hope early between Chile and Colombia as he led onto a ball, only for Ospina to dive on the ball. Alfredo Morelos caught a header off a free kick, but was too far out to trouble Bravo. Luis Díaz then had a double chance, only for Bravo to deny him. Chile had some great lead up play, only to break down in the box. Eric Pulgar led onto a pass into the box, only to shoot oddly with his left boot and the ball sailed wide. Steven Alzate soon found himself, right before the break, front and centre, only for Bravo to deny him. Díaz then scored a header above Vidal to lead at halftime.

 

In the 56th minute, Filipe Mora found himself in the box with room, and tried a slightly sideways scissor kick from a cross that ended up in the goal. With the game all-square, substitute Jeison Murillo’s shot smacked the woodwork. At the other end, Ospina needed to collect the ball twice as he faced one-on-one against Jean Meneses. Back at the Colombian attacking half, Morelos was not marked as he headed for goal, gaining the lead for the Colombians again. Colombia then maintained their structure and came out winners, proving why they won the World Cup a year ago with this away victory over Chile.

 

Brazil started tentatively against Ecuador, seeking chinks in their defence early. Renato Augusto found Willian’s header, only to hit the top of the crossbar. It took until the 43rd minute for Taison to get on a cross and score with his head. Taison then quickly scored another, giving the Brazilians a choice lead at the break. Renato Augusto then was injured in the second half rising for a header. Taison had a chance for a third goal, but could not find the target from a difficult angle. Willian, David Neres and Alex Sandro all had chances to score the third for Brazil, but to no avail.

 

In the bronze medal playoff, Christian Bravo should have scored early, only for Player of the Match Johan Padilla to deny him. Felipe Mora had almost the same chance, but his double attempt saw Padilla’s prowess again. Ángel Mena had a shot from similar position as his counterparts, only for Claudio Bravo to save it. The resulting corner showed Chile’s weakness in this field as Enner Valencia scored. Chile sought an equaliser, including Christian Bravo’s wide shot, but the Ecuadorians had the crucial lead at the break. In the second half, Chile looked vulnerable at corners again. As the game neared its conclusion, Meneses and Diego Rubio combined to have both have shots on goal, only for Padilla to save. That was enough as Ecuador defeated Chile by a single goal, and Chile lost their second home game in a row.

 

In the epic Final, Morelos scored after the ball crossed in found him slightly unmarked. Pedro Geromel tried to level the score, but the long distance shot bordered on the absurd. Coutinho’s shot was better, but still wide of the mark. Just before the half, Colombian Díaz had a chance, only to miss to the left.

 

With the halftime lead, the Colombians sought to hold on. And it seemed likely until the 62nd minute when Coutinho equalised. Colombia attacked with fervor as Steven Mendoza’s shot needed a goalkeeping parry, and then Wilmar Barrios scored with his head in the 84th minute, seemingly giving Colombia the goal medal. Morelos nearly had a brace right at the end to finish off Brazil. In the end, the 2-1 win was enough for Colombia to finish Nations League champions for the Americas.

 

 

July 29

Nations League Semis

Asia

·  Japan 3 South Korea 1

·  Pakistan 1 Bahrain 1 (2-1 aet)

Africa

·  Cameroon 3 Ghana 2

·  Egypt 3 Côte d’Ivoire 2

Europe

·  Germany 1 England 1 (4-2 aet)

·  Netherlands 1 Czech Republic 2

Oceania (tri-series)

·  Vanuatu 1 New Zealand 1

Americas

·  Chile 1 Colombia 2

·  Brazil 2 Ecuador 0

 


August 2

Nations League Third Place/Final

Asia

·  South Korea 4 Bahrain 0

·  Final: Japan 3 Pakistan 1

Africa

·  Ghana 0 Côte d’Ivoire 1

·  Final: Cameroon 2 Egypt 1

 

Oceania (tri-series)

·  New Zealand 4 Fiji 0

Europe

·  England 0 Netherlands 2

·  Final: Germany 1 Czech Republic 1 (2-4 pen)

Americas

·  Chile 0 Ecuador 1

·  Final: Colombia 2 Brazil 1

 



© 2020 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on January 27, 2020
Last Updated on January 27, 2020

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing