April 15 to 21, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

April 15 to 21, 2019 Global Futbol Matches

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following article provides an oversight for matches and tournaments taking place in 2019.

"

April 15 to 21, 2019

 

 

Africa A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Ghana

4

2

2

0

8

+5

2

Guinea

4

1

1

2

4

-2

3

Kenya

4

1

1

2

4

-3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In Africa Group A1, Kenya needed to lose by three goals or less to remain in League A. Luck flew away from them as the Ghanaians put on a display of prowess, precision and determination to annihilate their opponents. With Nicholas Opoku, Andre Ayew and Thomas Partey all scoring by the 50th minute, there was no way Kenya could stop the onslaught. A second from Partey ensured Ghana victory, and their counterparts Guinea to remain in the League for another two years.

 

 

Africa A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Côte d’Ivoire

4

2

1

1

7

+3

2

Togo

4

1

2

1

5

+1

3

Congo DR

4

1

1

2

4

-4

The Democratic Republic of Congo needed a draw to remain in League A, and was the first with an opportunity to score. However, Togo scored first through Ayité. After the break, two substitutes managed to put the game to rest, as Fo-Doh Laba first netted a goal, followed by Mamah. The three goals secured another two years in the top flight, whilst the Congolese must fight it out in League B.

 

 

Africa A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Egypt

4

3

1

0

10

+9

2

South Africa

4

1

1

2

4

-3

3

Mali

4

1

0

3

3

-6

Mali’s slim chances of remaining in the League A threshold diminished as the Egyptians piled on three first-half goals, thanks to Ali Ghazal, Ahmed Hassan and Amr El Soleya. Egypt then played for possession for much of the second half, ending the match with the same scoreline as their previous encounter.

 

 

Africa A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Cameroon

4

3

0

1

9

+6

2

Tunisia

4

2

0

2

6

-2

3

Gabon

4

1

0

3

3

-4

Cameroon gave Gabon the first goal thanks to Malick Evouna’s turn and shot on goal. From there, Cameroon stepped up about five notches and slotted two goals on the cusp of halftime, before sending into the net another three to round out their Nations League campaign with a solid win and progression to Africa’s semi finals. Meanwhile, Gabon will now fight hard in League B and try to return for four years’ time.

 

 

Europe A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Germany

4

3

0

1

9

+7

2

France

4

3

0

1

9

+5

3

Ireland

4

0

0

4

0

-12

Despite this group having the most goals, only one goal was scored in the final match. Ireland and France both played in attacking fashion, but failed to be precise in their final passes into the box. In the 82nd minute, France denied Ireland their only points for the tournament as substitute Moussa Sissoko caught the Irish on a break and shot along the ground, beyond the advancing Randolph. However, for France, one goal was not enough, and Germany will now represent the group at the Nations League semi finals. Ireland, meanwhile, will partake in League B in two years’ time.

 

 

Europe A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Netherlands

4

3

0

1

9

+6

2

Italy

4

2

0

2

6

+4

3

Russia

4

1

0

3

3

-10

Determining Europe’s Group A1’s winner came down to the final match, where the Dutch played hosts to Italy. Inside eight minutes, Frenkie de Jong had two goals: the first from outside the box, and the second drop kicking after a scramble by both attackers and defenders. From there, the Netherlanders dominated the game across the park, giving the Italians nothing. Then, in the 68th minute, substitute Vincenzo Grifo scored a header with his first touch, shocking the players and fans that suddenly the game could go either way. The Dutch, however, settled and scored a third and put the result beyond doubt.

 

 

Europe A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

England

4

2

1

1

7

+3

2

Spain

4

2

0

2

6

-1

3

Portugal

4

1

1

2

4

-2

Spain needed to win away in Lisbon to have any chance of topping the group. It was not meant to be, as the Portuguese, playing for pride, put on a solid attacking display. Their first came through Player of the Match Danilo Pereira from way out, before Cristiano Ronaldo slotted from a similar distance as the hour mark approached. From there, Portugal kept up their domination, and a third came about from the run of substitute Gonçalo Guedes, who snuck it past the diving Kepa, and ensured Portugal’s first victory of the tournament. Spain salvaged a goal at the end, but it was too late, and the visitors saw their chance to reach the Nations League slip away. England will now travel to Munich to take on Germany in the semi finals.

 

 

Europe A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Czech Republic

4

2

1

1

7

+1

2

Denmark

4

2

1

1

7

+1

3

Austria

4

1

0

3

3

-2

The Czech Republic only needed a win over Denmark to progress to the Nations League semi finals, and when they scored early thanks to Patrik Schick, the Czechs kept possession of the ball for much of the game, and ran out 1-0 winners. The Danes were overtaken on the table, thanks to their previous encounter being a draw. The winners will now fly to Amsterdam to take on the Dutch and hope to upset them and qualify for the first Nations League final.

 

 

 

Asia A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Japan

6

5

1

0

16

+16

2

Uzbekistan

6

2

1

3

7

-2

3

Tajikistan

6

1

3

2

6

-7

4

Vietnam

6

1

1

4

4

-7

Tajikistan and Uzbekistan faced off in Tashkent to remain in League A, if the Vietnamese were to defeat or draw against Japan. The home side scored first via Abdugaffor, before Shomurodov’s header equalised the margin right before halftime. Neither Tajikistan nor Uzbekistan could find the finishing touch to win the game. As for Vietnam, they conceded a goal in the 10th minute to Japan’s Kento Hashimoto, before the home side’s substitutes, Nakajima and Minamino, polished two more eggs for the win and come away from the tournament undefeated.

 

 

Asia A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

South Korea

6

4

1

1

13

+7

2

Saudi Arabia

6

3

1

2

10

+5

3

North Korea

6

1

3

2

6

-1

4

China

6

1

1

4

4

-11

Saudi Arabia was hoping to defeating China by a hefty margin and trust North Korea to win when they travelled to meet their southern neighbours. However, when China scored a goal right on halftime to ease back to 2-1, the Saudis felt their chance diminish. This would not be the case, as Saudi Arabia piled on five more goals, trouncing the Chinese and booting them down to League B, with all seven shots on target hitting the back of the net. Unfortunately, results trickled from the other match between the two Koreas, where Son Heung-Min’s goal in the 63rd minute proved the difference, allowing his side to win one-nil and top the group.

 

 

Americas A3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Brazil

6

5

1

0

16

+8

2

Paraguay

6

2

1

3

7

+3

3

USA

6

2

1

3

7

-3

4

Costa Rica

6

1

1

4

4

-8

 

Brazil finished their campaign with a 1-0 win over Costa Rica, thanks to a 7th-minute goal from right back Danilo. Costa Rica tried to wrestle back a goal, but to no avail. With their fifth win, the Brazilians will look to dominate the next stage of the Nations League, but before that, seek to win their final two Invitational Cup matches.

 

The Americans, vying for a potential second place against Paraguay, found themselves two goals up, thanks to the boots of Bradley and Roldan. Roldan nearly had a second netter moments later, but Paraguayan goalkeeper Silva somehow managed to get a touch on the ball. Finally, Paraguay worked their way back into the game, and with González running all over the field, soon had more and more chances. That culminated in a goal in the 80th minute by substitute Sanabria, who probably should have started the match according to fans. Arzamendia then had a shot to level the game, only to hit the woodwork. Sanabria also tried to sneak a goal late, but his shot missed wide of the mark. The Americans ran out 2-1 winners, though that was not enough to wrestle back their goal difference dilemma, and so Paraguay came second in the group.

 

 

Americas A4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Chile

6

4

1

1

13

+4

2

Mexico

6

3

1

2

10

+5

3

Peru

6

2

3

1

9

+5

4

St Vincent and the Grenadines

6

0

1

5

1

-14

 

Chile proved why they deserve to be on top of Group A4 with a solid two-nil away win over Peru. The Peruvians never looked in the game as the Chileans kept up the pressure, and two goals in the 59th and 70th minutes ensured a crucial victory. That result meant the Mexico-St Vincent and the Grenadines match became a dead rubber, as Mexico had no way of catching Chile on the table. This contributed to Mexico’s slow start against the Caribbean nation, coupled with multiple offsides. Eventually, the Mexicans found their rhythm, and piled on three goals via Álvarez, Montes and substitute Brizuela. Mexico managed to finish second, whilst St Vincent and the Grenadines will play in League B in the next installment.

 

 

Americas A1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Colombia

6

3

2

1

11

+9

2

Uruguay

6

3

2

1

11

+7

3

Venezuela

6

3

1

2

10

-2

4

Guatemala

6

0

1

5

1

-14

 

For the spectators, there were no surprises between Colombia and Guatemala early. With Villa’s goal, Colombia looked set to hand Guatemala their sixth loss for the tournament. However, the home side rallied and snuck a goal via Cincotta, and the Colombians squandered multiple chances. The game ended in a draw. That result opened up the contest, as Uruguay and Venezuela could see a way to the top of the group. However, Uruguay did not spearhead their lineup with many strikers, therefore lacking the ability to squeeze effective shots for long periods of the game. Vecino scored early, but it did not mean the Uruguayans had the win in hand. Venezuela kept at them, though their shots kept rushing wide of the mark. When Pereiro finally scored for Uruguay in the second half, the result was all but assured, and though they continued to attack, the fact that the home side needed another three goals to claim top spot was too great a task.

 

Colombia will now fly to Santiago to play in the first Americas Nations League semi final.

 

 

Americas A2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Ecuador

6

4

0

2

12

+4

2

Jamaica

6

2

3

1

9

+2

3

Argentina

6

1

4

1

7

+5

4

Bolivia

6

0

2

4

2

-11

 

Argentina had high hopes of defeating Jamaica and giving their nation every chance of topping the group. With the likes of Messi in the side, it seemed even more likely, especially when he scored in the 9th minute. However, Jamaica had an answer for both Argentinian goals, and in the dying minutes, Argentina could not find a path to goal. The game petered out to a draw, Argentina’s fourth in a row, and giving Jamaica a slight hope of winning overall. Their attention turned to the other match between Bolivia and Ecuador. Before the break, Ecuador already had two goals, placing them in prime position to win the group. Even though Bolivia edged one back, a third goal by Jhegson Méndez put the result beyond doubt, and into a semi final against Brazil. Bolivia, meanwhile, must fight it out against the North American sides in League B, something that will be trickier than facing nations on one’s own continent.

 

 

 

 

Europe B1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Serbia

4

3

0

1

9

+2

2

Finland

4

2

0

2

6

+1

3

Belarus

4

1

0

3

3

-3

With Serbia on top, the final game came down to Finland gaining three points away against Belarus. Instead, it was Belarus who finally captured their first points for the tournament, with a solitary goal from Player of the Match and midfielder Maevski being the difference. Serbia now rise to League A, whereas Belarus seek redemption against other League C nations in the second installment.

 

 

Europe B4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Poland

4

2

2

0

8

+4

2

Hungary

4

2

1

1

7

0

3

Belgium

4

0

1

3

1

-4

Hungary and Belgium fought a tight match to remain in League B. The Belgians needed to win by two goals to overtake Hungary, and they started with a bang: a solid goal from Dries Mertens. Belgium looked set to score again, only for the Hungarians to wrestle back. Their attacks down the right flank culminated in a cross close to goal, and defender Alderweireld accidentally slipped in an own goal. From there, the Hungarian courage expanded, and were up a goal in the 44th minute, thanks to Németh. The score remained the same for the rest of the match as Belgium saw the task of scoring three more grew rapidly out of their reach, whilst Hungary kept peppering their attacking 18-yard box. The 2-1 result now sends Belgium to League C, which is a surprise for many, and Hungary will remain in League B for another two years.

 

 

Match Day 5 continued for other nations.

 

 

Europe C4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Northern Ireland

5

2

2

1

8

+4

2

Georgia

5

2

2

1

8

+1

3

Macedonia

5

1

2

2

5

-1

4

Malta

5

0

4

1

4

-4

In the tightest European Nations League group, Georgia played host to Macedonia. It seemed for much of the game that yellow cards would outnumber any goals, until finally substitute Kharabadze broke the deadlock in the 82nd minute from long range, granting Georgia the full three points. Macedonia will need to reassess their attacking style to have any chance of gaining something out of this campaign. The 2018 World Cup side could very well drop to League D if Malta can pull off a win in their final match. However, Malta lost their first game for the tournament and by a great margin, as Player of the Match Steven Davis and Niall McGinn, where McGinn was involved in three of Northern Ireland’s four goals. Malta was never in the game, and will have to beat Georgia at home and hope Macedonia lose or draw in Skopje in Match Day 6. The North Irish side has the best opportunity to rise to League B, thanks to the four-goal win. It will come down to how well Macedonia and Georgia can play to give themselves any chance of advancing up the leagues.

 

 

Europe C1

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Slovakia

5

3

1

1

10

+6

2

Wales

5

2

2

1

8

+1

3

Romania

5

2

1

2

7

-2

4

Ukraine

5

1

0

4

3

-5

Slovakia kept up their winning ways as they, with the help of a Rusnák hat trick, trounced Romania 6-3. The Slovakians went up by three goals inside the first eight minutes, and from there dominated the match. Romania fought hard for their three goals, but it was fruitless as the home side had an answer every time. A tighter match befell Wales and Ukraine. The Welsh scored first through Daniel James, and from there the score remained. Both teams had chances for another, but Wales ended up winners and are within striking distance of first place, and therefore, League B. The Ukraine, meanwhile, will be a part of League D.

 

Slovakia are in the box seat to win the group, especially since their last game is at home to the Ukraine. A draw will almost guarantee that position; a win definitely will. Romania must hope the Ukraine win, whilst winning themselves and overcoming an eight-goal deficit in goal difference. For Wales to win, they can hold out hope if Slovakia draw. To overcome them, they must score six more than their opposition to have any chance of topping the group.

 

 

Europe C3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Croatia

5

2

3

0

9

+5

2

Bosnia

5

2

2

1

8

+2

3

Scotland

5

2

1

2

7

-1

4

Faroe Islands

5

1

0

4

3

-6

2018 World Cup side the Faroe Islands are now going to drop to League D after a poor performance against Scotland at home. The Scots scored twice in the first half and had the momentum to gain more, before Klamint Olsen headed one goal back. The Faroe Islanders, however, could not find another to at least salvage a point. What worked in Scotland’s favour even further was Bosnia and Croatia playing out a scoreless draw, despite the many Bosnian attempts on goal. Between Duljević’s six shots, of which three needed saves from Kalinić, the Croatian keeper made six saves in total. Matching the goalkeeper was Lovren’s defence: four interceptions and two crucial blocks, as well as six clearances.

 

Scotland now host Bosnia in their final match, whilst Croatia must travel to the Faroe Islands. Should Scotland and the Faroe Islands win, Scotland will progress to League B. If Croatia manages only a draw, Scotland must win by seven goals. Bosnia must win to have a chance of advancing.  Drawing will not be enough thanks to a lesser goal difference against Croatia, unless the Faroe Islanders can win by three goals. Croatia, however, will do everything they can to win. A draw will throw up complexities, as mentioned before, and a loss will open the door for Scotland or Bosnia to take the helm.

 

 

Europe C2

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Israel

5

3

1

1

10

+2

2

Norway

5

3

0

2

9

+1

3

Lithuania

5

2

1

2

7

0

4

Kazakhstan

5

0

2

3

2

-3

In the one match this week in Group C2, Israel came from a goal behind to win over Norway, also bypassing them into first place in the group. Both Norway and Israel finish their campaign with a home match. If Israel defeats Lithuania, it will be all over for Norway, regardless of their result. However, if Israel draw, and Norway win, then Norway will be promoted to League B. Lithuania can progress if they defeat Israel by two away, and hope Kazakhstan can pull off a win or draw away to Norway. Whichever way the ball drops, it will certainly be a cracker of a final Match Day.

 

 

Africa D3

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Lesotho

5

2

2

1

8

+2

2

Somalia

5

2

1

2

7

+1

3

Sao Tome and Principe

5

1

3

1

6

-1

4

Guinea-Bissau

5

1

2

2

5

-2

Guinea-Bissau managed a solid victory, their first, over Sao Tome and Principe, thanks to goals from Player of the Match Pele and a penalty conversion from Piqueti. Lesotho, meanwhile, defeated Somalia away by a solitary goal from substitute Potloane. This earned them top spot with a game left to play.

 

All sides are in with a chance of progressing to League C. It is interesting that the bottom two sides have the home ground advantage in Match Day 6. Should they both win, Sao Tome will advance. Lesotho, if they can draw, will hope Sao Tome win by less than three goals. Somalia must win and hope Guinea-Bissau at least draw. Guinea-Bissau, to progress, must win by four goals and hope the other game is a draw.

 

 

Africa D4

Pl

W

D

L

Pts

GD

1

Eritrea

5

3

0

2

9

+2

2

Burundi

5

2

1

2

7

+2

3

Seychelles

5

2

1

2

7

0

4

Mauritania

5

2

0

3

6

-4

Burundi managed three goals at home to the Seychelles from the likes of Berahino, Amissi and substitute Mustapha. This allowed a jump above their opponents into second place, with a slim hope held out for first place after the final Match Day. Mauritania scored first through Anne against Eritrea, before the home side levelled after 19 minutes. Both nations had the chance to score the winner, and it was only when Sarr pocketed a low shot in the 83rd minute that Mauritania could feel easy about their Nations League prospects.

 

Match Day 6 will come down to the wire, as all teams bar Mauritania can progress. The Seychelles and Burundi both have the home advantage, which means the former must have a better goal difference than the latter by three, should both sides win. Eritrea will hope to correct this week’s mistake and win away against the Seychelles. A draw may be enough if Mauritania wins or draws against Burundi. As for Mauritania, they will be playing to remain off bottom place, as they can be level on nine points (same as Eritrea), but the Seychelles will jump to ten points with a win.

 

April 17

Nations League Match Day 6

Africa League A

·  Ghana 4 Kenya 0

·  Togo 3 Congo DR 0

·  Egypt 3 Mali 0

Europe League A

·  Ireland 0 France 1

Europe League B

Belarus 1 Finland 0

April 20

Nations League Match Day 5

Europe League C

·  Northern Ireland 4 Malta 0

·  Georgia 1 Macedonia 0

Nations League Match Day 6

Africa League A

·  Cameroon 5 Gabon 1

Asia League A

·  Tajikistan 1 Uzbekistan 1

·  Japan 3 Vietnam 0

·  Saudi Arabia 7 China 1

·  South Korea 1 North Korea 0

Europe League A

·  Netherlands 3 Italy 1

·  Portugal 3 Spain 1

·  Czech Republic 1 Denmark 0

Americas League A

·  Guatemala 1 Colombia 1

·  Uruguay 2 Venezuela 0

·  Argentina 2 Jamaica 2

·  Bolivia 1 Ecuador 3

·  Brazil 1 Costa Rica 0

·  Paraguay 1 USA 2

·  Mexico 3 St Vincent and the Grenadines 0

·  Peru 0 Chile 2

 

 

Women’s Futsal MD 15

France 4-1 Argentina

Germany 2-2 Costa Rica

Poland 2-2 Tunisia

April 21

Nations League Match Day 5

Africa League D

·  Guinea-Bissau 2 Sao Tome and Principe 0

·  Somalia 0 Lesotho 1

·  Burundi 3 Seychelles 0

·  Eritrea 1 Mauritania 2

Europe League C

·  Slovakia 6 Romania 3

·  Israel 2 Norway 1

·  Faroe Islands 1 Scotland 2

·  Bosnia 0 Croatia 0

·  Wales 1 Ukraine 0

Nations League Match Day 6

Europe League B

·  Hungary 2 Belgium 1

 



© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on April 21, 2019
Last Updated on April 21, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing