June 28th, 2019 Women's Nations Cup Match 1: Nations Cup Opener Ends in Epic Stalemate

June 28th, 2019 Women's Nations Cup Match 1: Nations Cup Opener Ends in Epic Stalemate

A Chapter by Steve Clark
"

The following articles provide details of the inaugural Women's Nations Cup tournament.

"

June 28th, 2019

Women’s Nations Cup Match 1: Nations Cup Opener Ends in Epic Stalemate


France and England opened the Nations Cup with a goal apiece as the long-awaited first Global Futbol Women’s tournament got underway.

 

Jill Scott capitalised on the tail end of the early possession game as the English sought to silence the crowd. Scott sent a long-range shot from outside the box, after the team in white switched the ball back and forth from left to right and back again. French goalkeeper Sarah Bouhaddi, diving desperately, was unable to keep out the powerful high shot, nailing the top right corner. Fran Kirby and her volleying skills nearly had a second for England, as the French defence managed to get two heads on the ball and tip it over the crossbar.

 

After the break, the crowd urged the French team into gear, and slowly they worked their way back into the contest, winning the 50-50 balls and frustrating the English players into making unnecessary tackles. This led to a series of yellow cards, and key free kicks in dangerous territory. However, each Eugénie Le Sommer’s free kick failed to find the mark. Then, in the 77th minute, Amandine Henry judged the flight of the ball from Gaëtane Thiney’s cross in a contest of four players to header a cross into the net, and sending the stadium into manic jubilation. France then quickly made attacking substitutions, eager to emerge with the three points, but England’s defence held firm and allowed no other shots from inside the box. One chance came late from Delphine Cascarino, but the distance was too great and English goalkeeper Karen Bardsley had time to adjust her feet and collect the ball into her chest.

 

Both coaches left the stadium feeling positive about the result, and will look to their next matches to ensure the full points and a chance to score a high number of goals to top the group. France face South American up-and-comers Uruguay on July 3rd, after the match between South Korea and England.


France

1-1

England

8

6


51


15

3

5

75



85

Shots

Shots on Target

Possession %

Tackles

Fouls

Corners

Shot Accuracy %

Pass Accuracy %

 

6

4


49


23

2

1

67



74

 

 

YC 52’ #15 Bussaglia

SB 53’ #10 Majri off, #14 Bilbault on

 

 

 

 

GO 77’ #6 Henry (assisted by #17 Thiney)

SB 80’ #11 Diani off, #20 Cascarino on

SB 83’ #15 Bussaglia  off, #13 Gauvin on

 

 

 

 

 

 GO 33’ #8 Scott (assisted by #2 Bronze)

YC 52’ #5 Houghton

 

 

YC 61’ #2 Bronze

SB 64’ #18 White off, #11 Duggan on

YC 72’ #17 Daly

 

 

 

 

 

90’ #17 Daly off, #14 Mertens on

90’ #20 Carney off, #4 Walsh on

 

 

 




© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

13 Views
Added on October 14, 2019
Last Updated on October 14, 2019

Global Futbol 2019


Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing