Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 8


The gale winds blowing from the sea sided mountains from the east about 10,000 leagues from Jander a largest town port town from the East of the Dargar Mountains, Gartooth rocked back and forth from ships port side.


Large white waves lashed against the ship as helms master took the wheel, pushing against the storm. Lightning cress crossing against the harden sky, a large flash of lightning hitting the jagged rocks up head with a loud thunderous scream as a figure sprouts forth with giant wings.


Gartooth eyes flickered as the smell of death approaches. His mates what’s left of them scrambling about in fear as the giant winged figure comes closer screeching in high above them.  Another flash of lightning hits the water lashing against the ship as a huge wave splashed the deck of the ship. For once Gartooth was not afraid to die in fact he welcomes it as he smiled laughing like a madman in the air.


The beast getting closer, wings of air beating with such force against the ship, claws sharp, ripping at the tall mast as if it were dry kindling, the beast arches its long bone back. Its yellow eyes barring down on them. The beast striking hard and fast with its long red tail against the sides of the ship.


A loud moan with loud splintering “crack” as the center of the ship started splitting apart into two pieces. His shipmates screamed as the beast strikes with large open mouth ripping flesh and bone. Blood spewing out as it drips down the sides of its long black gums. The beast purrs with delight of the warm blood and fresh meat as it swallowed with a loud resounding “burp.”  “Oh yes good to the last drop,” pounding her chest with a mighty roar.


Gartooth stands holding his black blade dancing in between the fallen remains of his ship and his mates. The best stares at him grabbing the last mate from the water's edge, Tosses him in the air with a final gulp. “Yes, sir wizards or nice treat I must say,” the beast said pulling a leg bone from her mouth and wiping her chin with her fore-claw. With another resounded burp.


“Now then my dear friend,” she said making a quick grab for Gartooth. “Let’s see about you.” The best replied. Gartooth quickly dives out her way as a claw sweeps over him. “Come now my friend, don’t take it personally,” making another stab for him as Gartooth jumps to the other side of the breaking ship. “I can eat you now or wait till you drown, but I prefer my meat fresh,” the beast replied.


Gartooth slipped on the ring the Shadow King gave him. Steps out, “perhaps I rather eat you instead my friend,” he growled.


The beast puzzled for a mere second as she watched a mirror image of herself come forth. “Awe not bad, except we Daglens don’t eat our kind. Rather prefer myself as is my self thank you,” the best replied taking another swipe at Gartooth as her claw rippled through the image unharmed. “You are now being quite rude,” the beast intoned.


Gartooth swallowed hard, watching the water rising as his ship sinks faster into the darker waters. “Perhaps we can make a deal,” Gartooth said climbing to higher ground taking off the ring. “You like to eat wizards am I correct?” He asked swallowing hard holding tight to what’s left of the ship railing.


The beast watched with great interest and nods picking her teeth. “Yes that is true and these barely had a trickle to be called wizards at all.”


Gartooth smiled his wicked smile. “I know where I can find some that would satisfy your hunger. Providing you let me live, but kill me now or let me die your choice and starve.” Knowing or hoping he can get more to satisfy this beast. Perhaps maybe it will eat Morgan or yes rubbing ring… the Shadow King.


The beast ponders watching the water rise laughed. “What you say tempts me, but how do I know I can trust you when I see your heart almost as black as mine?”


The ship sinking lower the winds blowing with sleets of rain hard against his face, Gartooth shakes his head mutters under his breath.  Steps off jumps towards the beast knelt before it. “I am doomed… what more can I say, my Master, the Shadow King has sent me upon a task I can not do. Kill me so I may be at peace,” he said waiting for the final blow.


The beast laughed as they both watch one side of the ship sink into the deep. Gartooth worries knowing death may strike now as he stays on his knees brings forth his blade lays it at the beast feet and waits; the beast skin of black silver and reds with her large talons at the end of large crow-like feet. Slowly picks Gartooth up and his sword dives quickly into the air.


The cold wind and rain cutting hard against him as the beast nails dig into his sides as they flew through the air back to her nest. The beast drops Gartooth watching him fall on the jagged rocks as he rolled into her nest down to a large dark cave.


Gartooth slides into complete darkness as the beast hovers over his head. The last thing he hears before the searing pain in his chest is loud laughter and a deafening scream. Gartooth slowly wakens…. The beast on one side of the cavern, his chest and ribs hurt. He looked down at his bare chest wrapped and bandaged. “I wouldn’t move around too much,” the beast laughed.  “It will be at least a day or two before your well enough to travel.”


Gartooth growled feeling dizzy looking around for his sword and things, the beast laughed. “Now, now. No need to be rude. You are not dead… not yet and I have your things so stop worrying.” The beast replied as she slowly walked on over with a large plate of Collen fish handed it to him. “Try it, my own special recipe,” Gartooth growled taking it casually. “It's not poison… heavens no. Why would I bother patching you up just to poison you,” she replied.


The beast took a seat across from him. “Let me introduce myself. My friends call me Challo,” she replied sticking out a claw. “What I gather from your heart and mind your name is Gartooth the last of your kind known as a Darzzee,” Challo pointing to her rib-cage. I am Daglens part dragon, part Galen’s bird. Long story made short.


"My grandfather many cenions (eons) according to some cultures who was a black dragon of Whafer mountains. Fell in love with a sorceress when she died she was granted one wish to be a great bird. My grandfather granted that wish, but she had one secret, me a child hidden in her womb. My grandfather was furious and killed her, but it was too late, she had already given birth. I was an outcast among my people for cenions after that.”


Challo rips the head off the fish with her teeth. “However it came to pass that before my grandfather died he granted me one wish, a mate so I would not be alone.” Challo swallowing hard and doting and eye as tear strolled down her check. “My mother could not cross over to the stars until she made my grandfather a promise that I should be able to choose my own mate, and haunted him in his dreams.” She said as she tells the story of her life hoping to gain favor.


Gartooth could almost feel the heartache. But why? He could care less about this stupid beast or her pathetic life story. His mind begins to wonder.


Challo looked up and snarls at him. “If that’s the way you feel mate, I should have left you for dead and eaten you after all. And this is how you thank me after I gave you a piece of my heart. This is how you repay me,” she hissed as it angered her.


Gartooth stunned as his face snaps back. “You did what? Why?” He asked.


Challo yelled. “You know why Gartooth? Your very words ‘make me your slave. I am yours.’ Is that what you said?” She replied fling the fish bones at him.


Gartooth sat there stunned. “Yes, but I meant as a prisoner, not as your mate,” he growled holding his sides as they ache.


Challo begins too cry. “Is that so wrong, I have been alone for centuries upon centuries without my kind and this how you treat me?” Challo replied dives for the opening of the cave into the hard wind. Gartooth dodging falling rocks as they fell from the entrance of the cave. All he can do is sit in the darkened cave alone with his thoughts. But feels his new heart ache as he wrapped his arms around him mutters. “Why me? Why now?”





© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok....there are parts of this that work for me and parts that had me scratching my head a little bit. First off, I enjoyed the visuals of the battle. I enjoyed the ideas and the descriptions of the actions taking place in the story. I felt like there was some real tension for the first time in a while in this story, and it was a welcome addition. However, there was a lot of talking once again. I know that sometimes I'm guilty of having dialogue during a battle scene in my stories, but I usually try to have that dialogue not hinder or stop the action, but rather enhance it. This feels like the dialogue is coming out to hijack the battle and stop the flow to a certain degree. It feels like we are having characters fight for their lives, but then we have to stop and talk about potential deals and other elements related to the lore of the world. In short, the pacing felt a bit off. Another small side note, I would recommend having a break in paragraphs between the moment when Gartooth get's injured and wakes up in the cave with Challo. It feels like we are seeing Gartooth get hurt, blink, and then all of a sudden we are in a different location. Still interested to see where this story goes.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Shep

4 Years Ago

thanks for the review i will consider your ideas and see if i can make some changes.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
1 Review
Added on February 23, 2019
Last Updated on January 26, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep