God the Devil or Man.  Part 2

God the Devil or Man. Part 2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 132-1

God the Devil or Man.

Part 2

 


With my papers written and gone over with Mom and Dad, I quickly made the changes. They both looked good with clean hole punches and in the proper packaging. It still spelled trouble, but at least it was the honest truth. I was beat, I was tired, and in fact, we all were as we just soaked with the jests on in the big tub room.  You could say we were both too tired for sex as we all went to bed early.


I felt bad the Greg and I had canceled our date with the two girls, but they both understood better than anyone that family was more important when a tragedy happened. They still promised they come to church with us so they can sit and stare at all the people that think they are better than us.


I could think that Dad prayed that the ones that were responsible all got struck down by lightning or had some tragic thing happen, like a plague or some terrible sickness that would leave them in bed for weeks. If he didn’t I did, I even prayed that Crawford wouldn’t get away with it anymore. If I didn’t know better I would say God listen to our prayers, because change was in the wind.


Not only for me but for everyone; if I believed in prayer I would have added a few more things, but I didn’t and had no faith that God listens to prayers or grant miracles. I still don’t, but I question it every time I see Jeff or feel his presence, but I do believe in ghosts and the supernatural. People say you can not have demons if there is no God.


Because of Friday night we didn’t trust having Sparky left outside while we weren’t home. So instead Mom and told me to lock Sparky inside my room being the safest place in the entire house when the door is locked and bolted shut for now on. No one could get in without power tools once the door is locked. They would break their foot if they tried kicking the door down. Even the basement door was being fitted for the same type of lock, but it would be a few days before it would be installed. Dad hurried and set the alarm as it gave him the five-minute warning.


I doubted that the other houses in our neighborhood had this kind of security as a police car sat near the house in case they were stupid enough to try it again so soon. Dad was thinking about hiring a night watchman to stand guard 24/7.


Mom said we would move before that happened. In fact, they were considering changing wards after last night. God must have read Mom's mind because of what happened today as we took our seats filling the three long rows inside the chapel. I sat with my mother and Aaron and my best friends. Mom and Dad were trying to decide too dress up Shawn and Arthur as little girls or let them dress like boys.


Dad said we were only staying for one meeting and that was it so Mom let it go letting the boys dress like boys. Arthur and Shawn seemed quite happy with themselves as if they had won all because of Friday night. Well until they saw what they were wearing for church. Ripped pants with holes in the knees. I had put them in myself and mismatched socks and yellowing white shirt, not from age but from spilled coffee and tea stains. Dad found two old ties of Jonathan's that looked shrunken compared to the ties they both use to wear.  Even their shoes looked beat up and scuffed up; Greg did those spending nearly two hours this morning on them. Every article of clothing was donated to them and been sabotaged personally by us.


Greg said to them as they sat on the couch and waited for everyone. “Its better than being dressed like little girls boys, and I was really looking forward in seeing you two in those nice pink frilly dresses and doll shoes. And I was hoping I could paint your fingernails. Maybe next time when I am down to visit, considering that you are far more comfortable in beginning dressed as little girls. And like to have sex like girls.” Shawn tried to take a swing at him and me but earned a punch in a gut and a kick in the privates from yours truly.


Shawn told on us and Mom and Dad shrugged their shoulders said. “That’s nice, considering what they had to give up because of you and your friends yesterday.”  They both growled angrily and Mom popped them both in the mouth, tell them it’s not too late to have them dress like little girls. If they didn’t hate us before they certainly did now. As they sat between Mom and Dad with their hands folded in front of them and told not too move or even speak. We may not have to write what we learned it didn’t mean they didn’t have too as they were both given a crayon instead of pencils or pens.


Mom and Dad didn’t care what they wrote, as long as they wrote full sentences and telling them they would be reading it during supper tonight, with a warning that it better be readable. Shawn was quickly learning not to talk or argue with Mom and Dad. Arthur not so much as he tore up his paper and said: “go to hell.” Earning him a severe spanking and no dinner when he gets home warning if he said one more word they both get a spanking right here in front of everyone. Having Shawn tell him if he so much caused it he would pay dearly for it. Mom and Dad didn’t care so much if they talked to each other, but she did whisper to them to both be quiet.


Mom, Dad and I introduced our guests as we both watched their eyes as they scanned us than having them fall on Shawn and Arthur. We knew if they took pity of them or sneered at us they were not friends of ours even more so when they said “We are sorry to hear that your house had another break-in over the weekend, what is this world coming to if a person can’t leave their home,” then say. “Have you considered moving after all things that has happened to you and your family this year? If it was me I’d be packing and gone before they do it again.”


The way they said and how they looked at us said they would hope we get the message and do just that. Pa always said you could tell by a handshake how the person feels about you. If it is limp or too hard they were either angry with you or afraid to even touch you and found you disgusting. A firm handshake said friend, but that depends on the meaning of the friendship. It was how they looked you in the eye that said it all. If they didn’t the handshake meant they only did it because they had too not because they really want too. Mostly they shook our hands because they were curious about our guests and if they could determine how the message came across, regarding said break-in.


I counted more enemies then friends and the lists seemed to keep growing. Bishop Earl said as he whispered to me and my mother that this is a special meeting as he nodded that none of the bishoprics were sitting on the stand instead it was all the stake presidency. Which meant changes in the ward, considering this wasn’t stake conference.


It started off as a regular Sunday with the basic formalities, open song, the sacrament being pasted noting that Shawn and Arthur were both skipped when the trays were being passed down the rows. Watching Mom slap Arthur’s hand away from either the bread or water as it came down.


Afterward, an announcement was read that this would be the only meeting today. Due to the ward being split up to create a new ward, which meant everyone from the Bishop down was being released. Only ones that held callings were the teachers teaching the classes, everyone else was being released.


They normally give a vote of thanks to the ones being released, and they did except for one person as they called all the bishopric up so they can say their goodbyes. Bishop Crawford’s name wasn’t even called; instead, it was left off the list.


Everyone was in shock as all the Bishops took their place as they were called and their counselors. The LDS Church doesn’t like to use the word excommunication. They use the word released and don’t give them a chance to say farewell as they each bare their testimony. Which either stated he wasn’t here today, but his name would have been called and it wasn’t. Or he had been excommunicated or left the church on his own power.


You could hear whispers all over the chapel, and some were quite angry. Someone said. “Finally devil is gone at last.” And it wasn’t Dad, but he did look very pleased.


I watched as and listened as Bishop Sake was given the full title of Bishop in a new ward and his new counselors were all brand new people except for one Bishop Henry Lanwall being recalled as his 1st counselor. We became the 3rd ward with him as our Bishop. I was in shock learning that Brother Nile's was moving to be close to his children and grandchildren. I had thought he would die in that house in our ward, but here he was moving instead. I felt my heart break and felt the tears falling down my checks. I had never felt as close to him then anyone else he changed my life and the Rothwell’s life.


I couldn’t believe how many people were angry with the outcome, yet there were more happy people that were quite happy about it. Several times I overheard the words devil and drugs or sex crimes when the name of Crawford came up. The ones that called him Bishop said. “How bad things have gotten that a man of God wasn’t given the same respect as the other Bishops.”


The ones that hated the man only used name Crawford having them being told to give him the respect he deserves by the ones that liked the guy and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.


People would almost get into fist fights if other members wouldn’t remind them they were in a house of God. I watched several of them spit at their feet sneering “Without Bishop Crawford leading this church, this is no longer a house of God but a brothel of sin.” If you think just because they are LDS Mormons that they are perfect people buried deep in their doctrine, then you are sorely mistaken, they are just like everyone else. But I can tell you this; Dad was in a very good mood, in fact, we all were.


Dad announced that we are having steak tonight and all the fixings. If he has to go to the store himself and buy it; which was a big thing considering Dad never goes to the store on Sunday unless it’s an emergency. Having Crawford gone and being in a new ward was a cause for celebrating, which meant it was an emergency.


It also stated he and I was doing the cooking of the steaks. I never have seen two sadder people as I looked over at Shawn and Arthur, You would think they would be in a good mood when Dad said he wasn’t in the mood to afflicting punishment. Having them dress in their best play clothes and join in on the celebration as they sat there as if their world had come crashing down.


Dad left a note on Bishop Sake’s door and Bishop Lanwall’s as well as his other counselor that I can’t remember his name inviting them to dinner if they can make it and their families. Even though Bishop Lanwall’s no longer Bishop he keeps the title for the rest of his life or with the people that had known him as Bishop. But not Crawford, not only was he released he was excommunicated or been asked to leave the church; for being involved or undetermined as of yet and pending as we wait for the law to convict him in drugs, prostitution, child sex rings, and child sex abuses.


The word was announced later that he was released for laundering money or creative bookkeeping with the church tithing money; the rest was still being investigated, meaning he hasn’t been charged by the law, but by the church.


Dad bought half a cow I swear as I loaded the packages inside the truck and several bones for Sparky because he was in a very good mood and the meat guy was just going to throw them out. Sparky would be in dog heaven for a very long time as I watched Mom cook one in the oven and had Greg and Jared run down and put the rest of them in the freezer.


She always uses them for homemade soup before she gives it too Sparky, except for the one today as she roasts in the oven just for him.


Dad had me and Greg run up to the church house and borrow two long tables. Knowing the church house was still unlocked for choir practices and setting apart the new bishopric and its not the first time we had or anyone else does it.


I should have been shocked but I wasn’t to see Crawford around the church sneering at people and drunk. Wearing shabby clothes that I almost didn’t recognize him, but unfortunately, he recognized me as he came after me to beat the crap out me telling me it’s all my fault for ruining his life as he tries to take a swing at me and falls down stupid drunk.


One of his followers yelled at me to get away from him or he was calling the cops then picks him up off the ground and says. “Come with me Bishop let me take you home and get you cleaned up. You’ll get your day I promise you that, they haven’t heard the end of this.” He sneered at us I didn’t know his name but I knew his son real good and he was a bully at school and one of Shawn’s friends.


That was all the proof I needed to know he had been excommunicated, I knew it because newly released Bishops don’t act like that when they are no longer Bishops. Some say the second the new Bishop is announced they feel this sense of something being lifted off their shoulders and great calm. Some say they lose the memory of every sin that was confessed to them as if it was nothing but a simple conversation, but the sin itself they can’t remember it.


I wouldn’t know, because I have never been Bishop and I never will. I just know the feeling of peace was diminished, but still there. I never felt that with Crawford. I felt the opposite, cold, dirty and unrest. I knew why but seeing him drunk that Sunday said something was wrong with him compared to the others that had been released. They didn’t get drunk; they seemed happy and calm going home with their families. Not standing around their church house drunk, looking like a bum off the street.


I didn’t tell Dad about it. He was in too good of mood and I didn’t want to ruin another day because of that man. Maybe I should have taken pity on the man and befriended him, but I didn’t. I couldn’t knowing everything he has done to my family and I am sure we weren’t the only ones he and his followers have been trying to destroy.


Instead, I placed my apron around me and took my places besides Dad, cooking the steaks on the barbecue. While everyone set the table with Moms best china we only use on special occasions. We were lucky that after the last time our house was broken into that Dad stored it downstairs. It used to be stored upstairs in its own cabinet in the dining room. We had to replace most of it after that, but Stringum was able to locate the same pattern.


So much has been taken away from us this past year, and yet so much has been given to us as if it balanced out the bad. I added it to my papers touching on everything that had happened. I thought Mom and Dad would be angry about me telling my class about Shawn, Arthur, and Jody and what they had done and gone through, but instead they felt that it was important to reflect and let their friends now that we will fight back, we will not take t and lye down and cower before them. We will not be forced out of our home because they feel we don’t belong here when it is them that are the ones that don’t belong here. It was announced to their kind that we are now at war.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on May 19, 2019
Last Updated on February 8, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep