Finding The Truth  Part 1

Finding The Truth Part 1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 142

Finding The Truth

Part 1


As always Mom has about us being modestly dressed for dinner, requiring us boys too least put on a shirt, full robe or waist robe or pair of shorts and a shirt. I wasn’t surprised by the fact Mom and already picked up Jake's clothes, she hated clothes lying around our rooms unless they were hung up in the closet. However, she had left one of Dads robes for Jake, informing him his parents called telling them they wanted him to spend the night and possibility the weekend, but they would discuss that over dinner.


Mom asked if Adam and I had everything we were going to need for our weekend at my mother's house. Telling us changed into a pair of shorts and put on a shirt as well as socks so all we had to do was pick up our backpacks and put on our shoes. Instead of running around like crazy when she arrived, due to the late hour when she would arrive.


Yet Mom and Dad didn’t tell him or us everything until Dad dropped the bomb at the table. The second he signed the contracts; he calmly said passing him the whole wheat rolls and the butter. “I was thinking it might be best if you left town for a few days Jake. I talked it over with your parents and they agreed, because of the danger you are in and they are in that it would best if you weren’t home roaming the neighborhood going on a manhunt, for the people that had done this to your family and your brother. In fact, they themselves are going to be going to visit your aunt in Salt Lake over the weekend. Hoping this would blow over quickly.”


Mom looked at Dad and the way they looked at each other said something had already happened. I got goosebumps because I knew those faces. It was the same faces they had given me when something really bad had happened.


Jake said. “So where do think I should go? I don’t have any other relatives other than my aunt in Salt Lake; I have no money for hotel or transportation to get there, sir.”


I could feel my stomach as it started to turn quizzy because Dad had just about spelled it out. I waited as I looked at the clock, noticing it was almost 7 pm and my mother was most likely on her way. Dad said. “We thought you could go with Adam and Eric to his mother’s house until we…” I heard some pound on the front door screaming hysterically. Dad and Mom ran to the door. I could hear fire engines coming down the street and someone's mother crying and a little boy.


Mom rushed them inside telling me and Adam to bring some towels and a bucket of warm water and lots of washrags, and the girls to take my brothers into the family room.


Jake and I gasped seeing the burnt, wet clothing and all them covered in blood. I heard a dog barking outside and it wasn’t Sparky; because he was inside and was by my side winning, because of the noise of the fire trucks.


Jake rushed to them and took his mother and brother in his arms who wasn’t any older than Jared if that being more closer to Jason age. His mother said, “Jake it’s all gone; we barely escaped with our lives.” Someone else pounded on the door and Dad quickly opened it finding Jake's Dad holding on to their small dog and cat inside a pet carrier and a parrot in a birdcage. I could smell the smoke even though I couldn’t see the fire where I was standing.


Dad brought them all inside as Sparky went nuts seeing the cat and the other dog. Forcing me to pick him up and put him inside my room. With an already a house in pandemonium as everyone was running around with their heads cut off. Mom yelling to the girls too please keeps the boys inside the family room. After seeing them all standing there gasping. The only good thing was like me they were all modest.


Mom had them take a seat not caring about the carpet or the furniture seeing the blood dripping onto the carpet and soot and dirt shoe footprints. Mom had me Adam and Jake take care of his little brother and take the animals and put them in the family room for now.


Mom had to literally pry Jake's little brother out of his mother arms as he screamed cling onto her. Jake quickly knelt at his side and said, “Billy it's ok, no one's going to hurt you here.” I watched as he flung his little arms around his big brother as Jake picked him up in his arms.


It reminded me of Aaron and how frightened he was around strangers, fearing they would beat him as our parents did at the time. Adam followed him down to the bathroom so he could help Jake as I took the dog and the cat from his Dad who was covered with soot and blood like everyone else, having Dad carry the birdcage.


I soon understood where Jake got his size from, seeing him and his Dad had the same hulk built body, having the same wide shoulders and as tall as he was. His mother was a small woman in comparison with long brown hair cut short almost into a bob; she had to be at least the same height as me 5 foot 6 compared to his Dads 7 feet 5 inches. His mother spoke with a strange foreign Scottish accent compared to her son Jake and his Dad speaking more like us basic Utah English. Jake must have inherited the same blue steely eyes because his mothers were green and so was his brother Billy.


No one needed to ask what happened or who was responsible, we knew what had happened and who to blame, seeing the animal blood all over them, but the fire was a whole different matter. It said that they wanted them dead or gone and they didn’t care which. I also knew it was all our fault or mostly mine because I had taken Jake under my wing the moment he had decided too sit by me at lunch and hang around my friends and me at school. Even worse we had invited them into our home.


It stated that if you fraternize with the enemy be prepared to suffer the consequences. This was a step up from trashing someones home and humiliating them. It said the message sent earlier was just a warning to anyone that dared cross over the enemy lines, that this could be you if you even think about it. Adam had already told us that he and his family was in danger because he had and his family had found out the truth regarding what was really going on here in our neighborhood and have been asking questions. As I have said before small-town rumors are told faster than the wind.


I quickly went inside my room telling Sparky to stay, he wined then barked telling me he wanted nothing to do with that as he headed for the door scratching it wining and barking hearing the other dog somewhere in the house. I never once hit my dog like some people do when they disobey, I picked him and sat him on my bed and told him in a firm voice to stay. He did what he was told, as I quickly grabbed some of Jared’s clothes and closed my door behind me and grabbed some of Jason clothes not knowing what sizes would fit best.


I opened the bathroom door having his brother scream and hugging tight to Jake. Begging me not too hurt him. I placed the clothes on the counter telling Jake that he was more than welcome to borrow them. He thanked me and told him if he wanted to use the tub he was more than welcome. I turned on the water and brought him more clean towels and everything he would need to give his brother a bath.


I picked up his brothers ruined clothes and took them with me, asking Adam if wouldn’t mind helping me in the kitchen. I knew if Billy wasn’t my brother he didn’t want strangers, he wanted his brother. I told Mom what I had done and she thanked me and so did his parents.


I asked if there was anything else I could do Mom said “If you could show Jake's Dad where he could take a hot shower and go to her room and bring them each a robe from their closet. Until I can find them some clothes to wear unless you would prefer a hot bath. I can have my son run one for you; you’ll have the room all to yourselves. Then I will fix you a nice hot meal and talk about what we're going to do next.” They nodded


Jake's mother said. “The shower would be fine Mrs. Rothwell, just as long as we can get this animal blood off us and the soot from the fire. I don’t know how we can ever repay you for your kindness. I know we don’t deserve it for the way we have treated you and your family.”


Mom said. “Not a problem; we have put that behind us and there no need to repay us. It’s the least we can do after all were not the heathen monsters people say we are… We are all Gods children just because we are nudist don’t mean we aren’t good Christians doing Gods work when people like yours are in need of our help.”


I quickly showed Jake's Mom where the shower is and placed a robe for and her husband and lots of clean towels. Having her quickly in embrace me nearly squeezing me to death, for a small woman she certainly had a grip. Like Mom and Dad, I didn’t care about ruining my clothes or the fact they were making a big mess. Clothes can be easily replaced and a mess was just a mess and can be cleaned up as good as new. It was people that mattered most.


She said “I want to thank you for forgiving my boy, he doesn’t make friends easily, because people are afraid of him because how big is, I don’t know why you did it after the way he treated you and your friends, but me and my husband are in yours and yours family debt. I never thought our friends and neighbors would turn on us like this When it was them that did all those horrible things and trying to get my boys involved in drugs and child prostitution and other unspeakable things that would give me nightmares for the rest of our lives.


“Now our house is gone, and we have nowhere to go. Not even our relatives are willing to take us in. We don’t want Jake or Billy to know that we were planning to spend the time at hotel until we could decide what to do because our aunt refused us, because we told her that our little boy was raped, and she was afraid that he and Jake would rape their children.”


I nodded promised and said. “Everything will be fine, I trust my Mom and Dad and if they say everything will be fine and ok then it will be.” I did my best to make it sound believable, even though I knew it would never be fine or ok again.


I closed the door as Dad had just hung up the phone. Dad was about to say something when my mother walked in from the living room and she wasn’t alone. My mother first words were. “What in the hell is going on? I had a hard time getting here with the street being blocked off.”


Dad, I was about to answer her, when Jake’s Dad called for help from the bathroom where his wife was taking a shower. Dad and I quickly rushed in finding Jake's Mom on the floor and him stripped down to his boxers with a robe around him and his wife naked on the floor, he was either to shocked worry about us seeing his wife naked or didn’t care I think was the latter because he blushed when he saw me and Dad standing in the room over his wife quickly covered her with his robe and said. “I walked in and found her lying on the floor and I can’t get her to wake up.”


Dad quickly took her pulse and said. “She just fainted most likely from all the excitement.” Dad picked her up carried her in his arms and placed her on the bed then covered her when he realized that she was naked seeing the fallen robe on the floor by the door, and was starting to come around. I quickly ran to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water telling Dad that Bishop Sakes is here and some of the ladies from the ward.


Dad nodded said. “Tell him I’ll be there in a minute.” Only too have him come into the room, with a couple of the ladies.


He said. “Well, this fine kettle of fish we got ourselves into.” He said. “I am Bishop Sakes, your Mr. Olson if I am not mistaken.”


He offered his hand, but Mr. Olsen didn’t respond as he quickly sat on the bed and said. “Dotty are you ok? You gave me a little scare darling.” Helping her raises her head and so she could drink the water. She blinked then jolted up noticing everyone in her room and she was naked, pulling the covers closer.


Dad said. “It’s ok you’re among friends, but if you needed anything just let us know.” Dad had me and Bishop Sakes leave the room so the ladies could attend to her and her husband, just because were nudist didn’t give us the right too see someone naked unless it was their choice and had given their permission.


Dad closed the door giving a heavy tired sigh; having Bishop Sakes take a seat in the living room. My adoptive Mom was busy explaining to my mother what was going on and her guests. I didn’t know what else to do so I took a seat in the living room.


Time seemed to be in slow motion from the moment the front door was opened finding Jake's family behind it. The dining room table was still set as if we were still eating, and confirmed it when my stomach growled. I asked my mother if it might be best if we canceled our weekend, having Mom and Dad say almost the same time. “Absolutely not!”


Dad said. “There is very little you boys can do other than mope around here, or going house to house looking for those responsible. The best thing you boys can do is get as far away as possible, not end up in jail for getting revenge.”


Bishop Sakes took a seat next to me after he hung up the phone. As we waited for the aftermath of the events to stop spinning out of control, knowing when it was time to take a breather, when to act and when to plan our next move. Even though I never learned how to play chess, I could see the piece moving all the same, and it was our turn to make our first move, as I looked at my mother’s guest doing their best to blend into the background until called upon.


All except for one who wanted to be heard? His name is Paul Cranny. Mom had brought him and his family here to meet the Rothwell’s I sensed more was behind it, knowing my mother and it was more than a curiosity. Somehow my mother had forgotten to read the small print regarding inviting a guest into our home without asking us first. Then again I was just as guilty of it inviting Jake and Adam into our mists, but I had pre-warned them regarding my families’ lifestyle of being raised as a nudist.


Paul had the same built as Dad big and strong like football quarterback yet he wasn’t as tall as Jake's Dad or my Dad being a head shorter or little under 6 foot 7. He had these wolf-like eyes, light green that turned gold in the dark when the light dims around them. He face seemed chiseled out of stone for. Barely if at all shown any emotion, and squared off like sculpture had forgotten to round off the edges. He wasn’t handsome by any means; then again I wasn’t really into guys. I didn’t even find his wife Jennie all that pretty compared to my adoptive Mom or Adams Mom or any of my friend's Moms.


Yet she had this way about her that I found lovable and playful. Like Ma and Pa had taught me ‘never judge someone like a book it was what was inside that count.’ Jennie was more built like my mother both being big boned and leaning more on the heavy side. Meaning neither was or would be supermodels, both having the same boyish hair cut style cropped short at the base of their neck. Whereas unlike her husband Paul, her eyes were blue almost brown, depending on the light when you looked at them. Her faces were softer then her husband having a round chin and a more curvature around her nose and mouth, unlike most woman I have seen she wore very little if any makeup.


And just like her, and her four children of three boys and one girl, Robert who was 14, Michel 13 and her youngest boy Christopher who was 5 and her daughter Tabitha who is 9. All having the general mix of both parents being soft in some areas and chiseled like a stone in other areas like their nose or chin or cheekbones; all of them having the same eye coloring of their mother except for one their son Michel; All doing their best not to be seen other than watching everyone with silent curiosity as they glanced at me and my Rothwell family.


It was killing Paul as he made the comment. “Linda, I thought you said everyone here are nudists?” Having his wife punch him hard against his right arm, telling him to not to embarrass us, or he could go out and wait in the van until we were ready to go. He said, “I am just asking dear if they are or aren’t they?”


My mother was about to answer when my Adoptive Mom said. “We are, and were not, but as you can see this no the time to be discussing logistics of our lifestyle. So forgive us for our choices not to be for it is neither appropriate nor time for us to be so with everything that has happened. Now either settles yourself or I’ll have my husband settle you for me.”


I watched as his mouth gasped open like a fish, having my adoptive Mom being a little more forceful or abrasive then he expected. He had chosen to sit quietly. Dad asked. “Have you folks eaten yet? Because if not I could have my son Eric and his friends reset the table and the girls warm up our dinner. We were about to sit down too before all this mess happened.”


My mother said. “No they hadn’t and were planning to stop and McDonald's or somewhere on the way home.”


Dad nodded as I quickly did what I was told having Dad to tell me. “It might be best if you changed your clothes, first son.” I looked down at my shirt covered in blood and soot even my socks were wet and black on the bottoms of my feet seeing my footprints on the carpet. I nodded and quickly took off my shirt and socks off right there to stop it from getting on the floor anymore dirtier then it was already.


I cringed when I realized what I had just done and was about too apologized, but there was nothing for me to apologize for. For this was my home and not theirs. I was still decent enough so I left the room and tossed my clothes into the washroom and put on a clean shirt and new pair of shorts that had been washed and folded in my box in the washroom. And decided to go barefoot rather than ruin another pair of socks.


The moment I opened the family room door the little dog escaped and the family cat, as well as my brothers, chased after it. The girls calling them back, but it was no use so I told the girls and Adam who was with them what Dad wanted us to do. Considering it wasn’t like Jake's family pets could really go anywhere being trapped inside the house. I could here Sparky barking and their little dog scratching at my bedroom door trying to get at each other.


Jared quickly re-leashed their dog as Jason and Jonathan quickly cornered the cat and brought them back into the family room for safe keeping; noting they too had changed into some shorts, but they were shirtless and barefoot, but least they were decent as Adam sisters too had chosen to do likewise due to our guests. Personally, I wanted to see Paul’s and his family reaction when they discovered my mother was telling the truth.


Dad had me Adam set up the big table from the garage and take both the tables and reset them in the family room, instead of outside on the back lawn due to the smoke in the air, which required us to put Jake's family pets inside my brother’s room for now until we came up with a better solution. It also required us to take the coach and most of the furniture out of the family room and collect every chair in the house and put them around the table.


Due to of what had happened and knowing our small animals were not safe to be outside other than our horses and even they were being watched by people around the neighborhood whenever this happens, which seemed to be more frequently than not. Man, I was glad I hadn’t chosen to replace the animals that had been sensually slaughtered to make a point or send a message that we were weren’t welcomed here.



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on May 20, 2019
Last Updated on February 8, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep