Episode 16  The train

Episode 16 The train

A Chapter by Franky
"

After talking with a distressed Lizzette, Robert follows Vern to a bar at night.

"
"Lizzette, don't worry about it. I have full insurance and It was an old truck anyway. Besides, this is my chance to get a newer one since I'm making pretty good money right now."

Lizzette stands quietly in front of Robert looking away.

Robert continues hesitantly but kindly. "How could this be your fault anyway?"

Robert asks this question since he's interested in knowing whether Vern disclosed to her that Robert had threatened him.

"Robert, obviously Vern did this. He wanted to get to you. He destroyed your truck. What a idiot!"

"But why? Why is he after me?"

"Robert, I told him that you are a good listener and that you're a good man. You are. And he feels threatened I guess. Trust me, he doesn't know I'm here, or he would freak out."

"Lizzette, I'm not afraid of him. He doesn't worry me personally at all. But I'm worried about you. Are you safe?"

Lizzette shifts her stance and slowly looks around Robert's apartment. She takes a few deep breaths. Slowly she says, "Robert, you seem interesting to me. You come off as an energetic, positive, computer nerd at work. You're a nice guy. But you have a different side to you I think. It's very attractive. I'm attracted to you, I must admit."

Lizzette stops speaking but maintains a steady eye contact. Her breathing has increased.

"Lizzette, nothing can happen. At least right now. Things are a little complicated. "

Lizzette is embarrassed and starts to walk to the door. "I've said too much."

Robert approaches her from behind and tenderly says, "You're still with Vern. And I'm gonna have to deal with him at some point. This is an ongoing issue. After that, who knows."

"I'm trapped Robert. I can't go home to him. He's been drinking a lot and he's out of control. I'm staying with my sister right now. He doesn't even know where I am."

Robert asks, "Does he drink alot at home? Or does he drink at a bar somewhere?"

"He never drinks at home. He always goes to Cedar Lake Bar to the north of town. It's on Texas Avenue. He knows people there."

"Yeah, I know where that is."

Before leaving, Lizzette adds, "I'm pretty sure the cops are looking for him, or will be. There are cameras all over the place at work in the parking lot. It's only a matter of time."

Robert walks Lizzette out and reassuringly says to his friend, "I'm glad you're not with him right now Lizzette. He's kind of a loose cannon. Be careful."

"Take care of yourself too Robert." Lizzette pauses for a moment then ends with, "But somehow I think you'll be okay."

After Lizzette drives away Robert thinks about this situation.

So he's out at that bar a lot huh? Maybe I'll have to go take a look.

The next day Robert decides to drive out to the Cedar Lake Bar after dinner. He just purchased a newer truck earlier in the evening at a nearby dealership and is driving around in it getting used to how it handles. Robert waits until later in the evening after most in the bar have likely gotten their buzz on.

After midnight Vern slowly walks out to his car. He's loudly talking to someone else in the parking lot, but he eventually gets into his older VW alone a few minutes later.

Robert follows Vern onto the highway. He follows behind for a moment then speeds up. Robert flashes his bright lights as he approaches Vern's much smaller vehicle. Soon Robert's newer Dodge Ram is very close behind Vern's Volkswagen. A second before Robert can hit Vern from behind he has to slam on his brakes.

A train is coming and a safety arm with a red stop sign is coming down just ahead! Robert is amused that an intoxicated Vern doesn't seem to be aware of his presence immediately behind him. Both are now stopped waiting for the long line of train cars.

Robert moves even closer to the Volkswagen. Just before the lead train reaches Texas Avenue, Robert makes contact with Verns vehicle. He revs up his engine enough to start pushing Vern onto the tracks! First, the guard rail breaks into several pieces, then Robert is able to plant Vern's car square onto the train tracks. Vern can be heard screaming just as the lead train car smashes into his black Volkswagen sending the small car almost airborne into the night. The VW is crushed and nearly severed, then falls off the tracks into the ditch, as the horn blaring, train continues to fly over the intersection.

As the train crossing continues, Robert reverses his course and drives another way home.




© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very chilling end to the chapter. Robert strikes again and this was especially brutal. His sense of justice is all askew and of course it will eventually come home to roost.

It is very interesting to have a peek into a psychotic's mind and what exactly becomes the tipping point each time as he strikes. So far, he has killed unreasonably difficult and badly behaved individuals but as we know this can quickly change and often does with psychopaths and which Robert has now surely revealed himself to be one. So cold blooded. And he can begin killing people for many different reasons, even good people. It would indeed be interesting to see how Robert is evaluated psychiatrically, once he is apprehended for his crimes.

A very well written chapter and one that I enjoyed thoroughly.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Thank you so my little sister for your helpful and thoughtful review. I don't know what will have .. read more
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

You're welcome always, dear bro. Keep writing. Its turning out awesome.



Reviews

A very chilling end to the chapter. Robert strikes again and this was especially brutal. His sense of justice is all askew and of course it will eventually come home to roost.

It is very interesting to have a peek into a psychotic's mind and what exactly becomes the tipping point each time as he strikes. So far, he has killed unreasonably difficult and badly behaved individuals but as we know this can quickly change and often does with psychopaths and which Robert has now surely revealed himself to be one. So cold blooded. And he can begin killing people for many different reasons, even good people. It would indeed be interesting to see how Robert is evaluated psychiatrically, once he is apprehended for his crimes.

A very well written chapter and one that I enjoyed thoroughly.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Thank you so my little sister for your helpful and thoughtful review. I don't know what will have .. read more
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

You're welcome always, dear bro. Keep writing. Its turning out awesome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 28, 2023
Last Updated on April 28, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing