Episode 22  Life Decisions

Episode 22 Life Decisions

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert wants more information from his mother.

"

The next week, in mid January 1992, Robert notices a jobs notice at work concerning an opening in the operations department. Robert has spent the past two years working in the IT department for Lexington Industries. He has shown great skill at troubleshooting and keeping the company's computer system running efficiently.

The opening that has his attention would involve supervising a work area that includes about 16 production employees. The job is listed as a supervisory one with an increase in pay.

And probably more stress I imagine Robert muses. And I'll actually get dirty too.

Robert reads the opening with interest when another employee notices and says, "You think you want a change in what you've been doing? It would involve working with people rather than computers. Computers follow instructions better you know. "

Robert laughs at the comment. "No doubt! But maybe being around people more would be good for me."

Robert walks down to the Human Resources department right after lunch and asks about applying. He already knows the HR workers so he's comfortable in receiving a brief application paper and taking a seat while filling it out. Shannon, the worker assigned to job applicants, says casually, "Well, we already know you so we don't need a background check at least"

Yeah, Robert thinks to himself,at least I'm not a murderer or anything!


That evening Robert's mother Jeannie calls her middle son to check in. She usually calls about once per week. Robert mentions the job opening to her and tells her he's interested in possibly making a change.

"Well Robert! I think that's a good idea. I know you're good with computer systems and so on, but you're a charming and caring young man too. So why not work more with a variety of people and show off your skills? I think it's a good idea."

Robert gets choked up and can barely form a response, but he manages, "I love you mom. You've always been my favorite girl."

"You're very welcome honey. "

After a long pause.

"Mom, can I ask something?"

"Sure. What is it?"

Robert has wondered this many times. He wants to know.

"Do you ever think of getting back together with dad? He has been sober for about seven years now. He's pretty stable with his accounting business. You're both single. You're both living alone. Why not?"

Without hesitating Jeannie answers, "That will never happen Robert."

"Why? I don't understand. "

"Robert, your dad and I didn't work. He always thought I was lame and dull. I always thought he flew by the seat of his pants. He was always irresponsible and a bit crazy."

"Mom, dad never wanted to divorce."

"But Robert, he never wanted to stay with me and make it work either. He loves his kids and wanted to be near them. But he sure didn't want me as a wife."

Robert is speechless.

"Your dad likes to spend money he doesn't even have. He likes vacations and adventure. I like to watch movies and garden. I invest money. He spends it!!"

"Ok ok ok mom! You've made your point. I get it."

"Ok good. But the main thing is that both of us love you and are proud of you Robert."

"Thank you. Goodnight mom."

After Robert hangs up he can barely control his sobbing. He walks over to a wall in his apartment where he has a number of family photos. He looks straight at the couple in his parents' wedding photo and thinks to himself solemnly.

Why couldn't you two be less concerned about yourselves, and more concerned for your kids? It might have made a big difference!











© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dysfunctional childhoods make for kids with some sort of mental illness or personality disorder.

Posted 9 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
1 Review
Added on June 29, 2023
Last Updated on June 29, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing