Episode 28 Facing up to reality

Episode 28 Facing up to reality

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert sees the need to start facing the reality of his situation.

"
By the next month, mid October 1992, Robert concedes he will never have a chance with Marie. He thinks about her all the time. He wants to protect her. Seeing Marie makes Robert feel alive. After he's spent any time with her at all he feels like a different man. But the circumstances surrounding the death of Todd will likely make any actual relationship with her impossible.

Robert's dad Mel called during the week and asked to meet for a meal Saturday morning at the Corner Cafe. Robert tries to see his dad for a meal once or twice per month.

Robert loves his dad and enjoys spending time with him. Mel is a funny and interesting guy. He never hesitates to tell Robert exactly what he thinks. That quality of Mels can be refreshing, or it can be exasperating. Sometimes the two men attend ball games, see movies in the local theater, or sit down for breakfast together.

Robert isn't a big breakfast eater, but he orders waffles and bacon. Meanwhile, Mel has ordered the deluxe breakfast. Mel has stayed sober for seven years now and he's enjoyed success in his small accounting business. However, Mel, who's stayed single, seems to have switched addictions from alcohol to food. He’s gained 60 lbs over the past five years.

During breakfast, the waitress pays a lot of attention to Robert. She stands close to him while serving the guys and makes a lot of eye contact. Her name is Rhonda, and she reacts with a smile to everything Robert says or does. Meanwhile, she barely notices Mel. Rhonda is a full bodied girl with a sweet smile, a high pitched voice, large breasts, and a flirty personality. Rhonda likes attention from men.

After Rhonda leaves to put in the guys breastfast order Mel says with a grin, “She's maybe girlfriend material for you huh? She's a cutie.”

Robert pretends his dad isn't speaking and instead drinks his coffee.

“Robert. You're 27 years old. You've got a job you like that's stable. You have no debt. Isn't a regular girlfriend something that might be nice for you?”

“What about you dad? You aren't seeing anyone are you? Do you want to be single the rest of your life?”

“Robert, I'm 60 years old. I wear dentures, I have arthritis in several places, and I like thin women. My possibilities are limited. But don't change the subject. Besides, I never wanted a divorce from your mom in the first place, remember?”

Robert immediately feels bad for where this conversation has turned. “I know that dad. I hated to see you two divorce too. I'm sorry.”

“I appreciate that son.”

At that moment Rhonda comes to the table again and asks Robert how his coffee is tasting. Robert smiles and says, “Everything's great.”

After Rhonda leaves again, Mel's eyes follow her appreciatively, and he mentions to his son, “You need a woman in your life Robert.”

Robert smiles broadly, “I think you should ask her out dad. I doubt that your dentures would bother her.”


Later on that morning, before he can talk himself out of it, Robert heads over to the mall to visit his favorite shoe store. Before leaving his car to enter the shopping mall Robert starts to focus on what he wants to do regarding Marie. He has feelings for her. He likes how he feels around her. She is obviously a good, caring, hardworking, loyal woman. She's been raised to be loyal. She values family, and he certainly likes how she looks.

But why the hell would she want me given what I've done?

Robert drives away from the mall amid all these doubts. He wants to see her more than anything, but he can't bear the thought of Marie telling him to get lost.

When Robert arrives at home about noon that Saturday he is surprised to see a visitor waiting near his parking space. David Mason is standing on the sidewalk next to the apartment building. When Robert sees Marie's dad's expression he knows it isn't going to be good news.







© 2024 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've left me hanging. That's a good thing. I don't know how to do that with my stories yet.
This is getting better and better.

Keep writing!

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

1 Month Ago

Thank you my dear friend. That means a lot to me.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
1 Review
Added on February 22, 2024
Last Updated on February 22, 2024


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing