Episode 19 The Hike

Episode 19 The Hike

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert and Marie take a hike in the woods.

"


The next week Robert, who doesn't yet have Marie's phone number or address, stops again at her shoe store to visit. He is, as always, impressed by her friendliness to everyone and her warm demeanor.

Robert decides to buy her a dozen yellow roses today. He gets the reaction he is hoping for when he sees Marie's eyes light up brightly.

"Thank you Robert. That's sweet. You didn't have to do this."

"I know, but I just wanted to. It's for your store you know. It brightens up the place." Robert states with mock sincerity.

Marie rolls her eyes and smiles. "Oh, is that it?"

Robert asks her to go for a hike that weekend at one of the area parks. There are walking trails at some of them and Robert wants to get in another nice hike before the volatile Minnesota weather makes it impossible.

The pair meet at one of the parks Saturday morning at about ten. They decide on a rigorous trail that is paved and somewhat circular and hilly in design. The hike is fun for both as they get to really know each other. They talk especially about their families, their past work experiences, and growing up only 12 miles apart. They have a pleasant conversation.

After a few hours of hiking, they end up in the same parking lot where they began. Robert feels like the shoes he just purchased from Marie are not good for hiking, but he doesn't reveal that.

Marie is tired afterward as she's had a long week at the store as well. When they finish their walk she sees a nice shaded bench to sit at.
Robert sees that Marie is chilled so he goes to his truck and retrieves two sweaters and a blanket. He doesn't want this time together to end.

Marie becomes so comfortable that she moves closer to Robert and lays her head on his shoulder. Robert covers her and realizes this is causing real feelings to well up in his heart. He is already starting to really care for Marie. She seems perfect! I don't want to mess this up.

At some point Marie starts to fall asleep. Robert is relaxed as well. So he is startled to look up and see a man observing them. The man is standing in the parking lot about 30 feet away, and is focussed on them and appears agitated. He's tall, a bit overweight, has long dark hair and disheveled in appearance.

Robert nudges Marie, "Do you know this guy?"

Marie gasps. She looks the man over and says, "Todd? What are you doing here?"

The man says in return, "You two comfortable? The question to be asked though is what are you, my wife, doing here?"

"Todd, we haven't seen each other in a long time. We haven't even talked in several months. You just left. Did you get my letter?"

Todd doesn't answer. He instead looks directly at Robert. As if to say: Dude, go away. This isn't your business.

Robert knows he needs to give them some time.
"Ok. I'm gonna let you two talk."

An uncomfortable Marie gives no reaction to Robert making his exit.

Robert has no intention of leaving Marie alone with this guy. He gives the impression he's cooperating by leaving them alone to figure things out, but he's already planning on keeping watch close by.

A few minutes later Robert manages to hide his truck in another parking lot. However, he is able to get within sight of Marie and Todd a few hundred yards away.

Robert realizes that this conversation will likely go one of two ways. But he vows to watch over the situation in case things go badly.




© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It was a lovely day but things and people always get in the way and so they did here as well. I enjoyed the day with Robert and Marie. Just as things were getting sweeter, came Todd. What a pain! I expected Robert to not go away and he did just that. If I'm afraid for anyone, its Todd. And for obvious reason. Another very enjoyable chapter bro. Go on!

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Yeah....Todd better worry. No doubt.
Thanks sis for your awesome reviews .
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

You're most welcome ☺
Franky

10 Months Ago

Im trying to show that Robert wants Marie to save him from his violent side.



Reviews

Robert also reminds me of Carl in Sling Blade...

Posted 9 Months Ago


Franky

5 Months Ago

Cool! That's amazing. And...I'm amazed I missed this comment.
It was a lovely day but things and people always get in the way and so they did here as well. I enjoyed the day with Robert and Marie. Just as things were getting sweeter, came Todd. What a pain! I expected Robert to not go away and he did just that. If I'm afraid for anyone, its Todd. And for obvious reason. Another very enjoyable chapter bro. Go on!

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Yeah....Todd better worry. No doubt.
Thanks sis for your awesome reviews .
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

You're most welcome ☺
Franky

10 Months Ago

Im trying to show that Robert wants Marie to save him from his violent side.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2023
Last Updated on May 14, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing