Episode 18  Marie's Shoes

Episode 18 Marie's Shoes

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert meets a nice young woman in a shoe store.

"
A little over two years later, in October of 1991, 26 year old Robert sits down at 7 am on a weekday morning to tie his shoes for work. He realizes his nerdy looking brown casual/dress shoes are badly needing replacement, so he puts them on anyway intending to visit a shoe store later in the day.

Robert enters a shoe store in a busy shopping mall just after noon. He's never been to this store before, and doesn't like shopping, but he's impressed by the smile and friendly nature of a pretty, brunette who is setting store displays. This energetic woman named Marie, who is a little older than Robert, seems to radiate enthusiasm and positivity. Robert also notices a lack of a wedding ring.

"Can I help you find a certain style or size?" Marie asks sweetly.

Robert, who has almost forgotten about why he's even in the store, asks her with an easy smile, "Can you believe this beautiful day we're having? I love fall. It's so warm out today too."

"It's gorgeous today, I agree. It makes being inside almost painful. I hate even the idea of snow!" Marie displays a pained frown to the thought of snow. Marie is wearing a pretty pink/floral dress.

"Are you the only worker here today?" Robert asks, wanting this conversation to continue.

"Yes." Marie answers with exaggerated frustration. "I'm here alone until 4 o'clock. It's awful! But that's the deal. Gotta pay the bills." Marie ends every comment with a pleasant smile.

"You must be hungry?" Robert asks.

"Umm. Why?" Marie is surprised by the randomness.

"You need to eat something. It's after noon. I'll get it for you. There's a cafeteria at the other end of the mall. Chicken nuggets? A hamburger? Some fries? What do you prefer? You've gotta eat."

Marie stands looking at him for a moment quietly. Then says, "Well I am starved, and my granola bar just isn't enough. Can you get me a burger with everything on it?" Marie starts to laugh. Then a second later says, "I'm not serious! You don't have to get me food."

"No no. I've got it covered. I'll get it. Seriously. You look a little hungry. But while I'm gone could you get me a pair of shoes from the rack in a size 13? In a style like what I'm wearing right now?"

Robert starts leaving the store on Marie's food run before she says, "Sure! But you're crazy! " Marie laughs again. "But I think we've got something like that in the back. I'll check."

Robert dutifully adds, "I won't forget your ketchup and a few napkins!" Robert hears Marie's laughter while walking down the hall toward the food court.

Robert returns in about ten minutes with a bag containing a burger with all the fixings. He sets the food bag on the cash register counter, but notices several customers walking around in the store.

"Don't worry about them. I'll help you make some sales!" An energetic and enthused Robert immediately starts visiting with several of the customers offering to help them find certain sizes.

Marie enjoys her brief break and starts eating her sandwich. "I should hire you. Are you regularly a salesman?"

Robert gently chides Marie, "Finish your sandwich young lady. "

Robert continues to chat with customers. He even helps a young girl try on a pair of shoes she's picked out.

After a few more minutes, Marie finishes eating and rings up a few sales including Robert's new loafers.

Robert takes the opportunity to ask her, "You aren't married are you?"

Marie goes silent and her expression changes.

"You're married?" Robert asks.

Marie answers, "I don't even know your name."

"You aren't wearing a ring. My name is Robert."

"As my name tag states, I'm Marie. I haven't seen my husband in over six months. He's working for his parents farm two hours from here. We're still together, I think." Marie's smile has now disappeared. "I'm not sure where we're at."

After a moment, Robert softly says to his new friend, "I've enjoyed our time together. I'm sure I'll love my new shoes. I'll see you again soon. Maybe I'll make a few more sales."

Marie responds with all seriousness, "I've got some decisions to make I guess. This was nice Robert."

The next week Robert stops by the store after work and visits with Marie again. He asks her if she would like to stop at a restaurant to eat that evening. They meet at Perkins Restaurant a few miles away. Robert arrives first and finds them a table. Marie arrives right from work.

Shortly after receiving their food Marie tells Robert of her intention of filing for divorce.

"My marriage was a mistake. My husband is a bad alcoholic and he can't keep a job. So that's why he always ends up back up north to work on his parents potato farm."

Robert asks, "Are you sure this is the right thing for you to do? I mean, no one is pressuring you right?"

"Well, I'd like to have a normal relationship. One where you actually see each other." Marie's face lightens up for the first time since she sat down for dinner.

Robert answers with empathy, "That's understandable. I get that."

After a minute of relative quiet while both eat their meals, Robert makes a suggestion.

"I have an idea. You're a married woman and I respect that. How about if we meet about once a month for dinner? Or bowling. Or hiking. Or movies. Or tennis?"

Both laugh at that absurdity.

Marie reaches over and they hold hands for a moment. Marie answers with, "I like the idea of seeing you again. But once a month? How about weekly? And tennis? I don't think so!"

"Well Marie, I like you, and I don't want to be pushy. So maybe I'll see you at your store next week? But until then, be good! Take care, and sell a lot of shoes."

"Nice to see you Robert. And thanks for dinner. "





© 2023 Franky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think Robert is mentally ill and has no capacity to be in any kind of a relationship. Any woman who gets involved with him is vulnerable; addicted to abusive, controlling men. I speak with authority on this as well. He needs help! Someone needs to get him off the street before he kills again!

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

5 Months Ago

I appreciate this. But my goal is to somehow show Robert to be a somewhat sympathetic figure. Ho.. read more



Reviews

I think Robert is mentally ill and has no capacity to be in any kind of a relationship. Any woman who gets involved with him is vulnerable; addicted to abusive, controlling men. I speak with authority on this as well. He needs help! Someone needs to get him off the street before he kills again!

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

5 Months Ago

I appreciate this. But my goal is to somehow show Robert to be a somewhat sympathetic figure. Ho.. read more
Robert seems a bit too pushy and overpowering and I'm a bit surprised Marie hasn't caught on to it. It was everything, all at once. She seems a bit slow to be honest. But I loved the pace at which it went. It was amusing and interesting to read. Sometimes, it just happens that people kind of know each other at the first glance itself though. Then again it was kind of funny that at the end of the chapter, Robert, after pushing it so fast, decides to set the pace and meet her once a month for dinner. He has something in mind and I'd love to know what that is. I enjoyed this chapter absolutely. Keep going bro.

Posted 11 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

11 Months Ago

Thanks my friend. I was trying to make Robert a little more personable, or charming here. He's a.. read more
DIVYA

11 Months Ago

He comes across as quite confident and friendly. The connection between them was felt too. Looking f.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2023
Last Updated on May 10, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing