Episode 6  The chocolate shop

Episode 6 The chocolate shop

A Chapter by Franky
"

Robert gets his first job.

"
In the summer of 1981, Robert decided to end his youth baseball career and look for a job. He loves competing and the game of baseball, but two hour practices and three hour games for most of the summer are getting old.  Mel is not happy with the decision at all. Robert's dad still thinks Robert has the skill and ability in baseball to become a professional. 

Enough is enough dad. Life goes on. I want to start earning my own money so I can get a car and go on dates like normal boys my age. I love baseball and it's been great, but I don't want to do it anymore.   


Mel responds by not responding. He gives Robert a disappointed look and slowly walks away and out the door.  Robert can't help but break down and cry in a way he hasn't cried in years.  Pleasing his dad has always been job one for Robert. Robert understands that none of his teammates have a devoted and interested father like he does. Mel is at most practices and all the games. This is the hardest decision Robert's ever made. Mel would play catch with Robert and pitch batting practice to him regularly for years.  I hope he can understand.  Disappointing my dad makes me feel sick. 


After the season ends in early August, Robert starts to look for work. He wants a job that he can work part time through the next school year when he will be a sophomore. After looking for a while, and deciding that working fast food is not gonna work for him, he decides to apply at the upscale grocery store that is only about a half mile away.   Of course, that store is only accessible easily if I cross over the damn railroad tracks! Otherwise, I have to ride my 12 speed all the way down highway 7 to the Excelsior Blvd access. Three miles! And, I'd have to ride on the frontage road along highway 7. Great. Either risk getting hit in the dark after work by a train, or ride four times further on my bike since there is no other access and I don't have a car yet.  And, what happens in the winter?  When there's several feet of snow everywhere do I just cross the tracks on foot?  But the pay at Byerly’s and the atmosphere is very good.   And this job is 12 months a year.


Robert fills out an application to Byerly’s grocery store and is surprised to get a call two days later. The pleasant female caller, Marsha, is sweet as she asks Robert a few qualifying questions before asking him to come into the store for an interview.  “Should I meet you by the cash registers? “  Robert inquires.  “No no.”   Marsha replies.  “You are interviewing for a job at Woods Chocolate Shop within the grocery store. I’m the manager of the chocolate shop. Meet me at my store.”


Hmm Robert muses.  She’s nice and she sounds great.  And I love chocolate more than almost anything!   


Robert is thrilled to be offered the job right after the interview.  He is excited not just to be offered the job to work for a nice boss but he’s thrilled to be hired at the young age of fifteen.  Most employers are less likely to hire until an applicant is at least sixteen, but Robert explains to Marsha that his sixteenth birthday is only two weeks away.


Robert starts working in the ice cream section of the chocolate shop a few days later. He’s excited to be working and earning money before the school year has even started.  He’s also happy that most of his fellow workers at the shop are young, friendly people.  Robert finds himself working a lot since many of his coworkers seem to not hesitate to ask him to take an occasional shift that they can't make because of other commitments.  Robert sets the goal of affording a vehicle purchase in the near future right after he gets his driver's license.  


In the next few weeks,  Robert starts to get used to his new job and the basics of customer service.  He's also become adept in using the cash register and daily store cleaning.  On a Saturday in early September, Robert learns that Marsha, his boss, who he hasn't been seeing around as much lately,  has decided to resign and move closer to home in Albert Lee.  At first this news doesn't necessarily  bother Robert since things are going really well and he's been extremely busy with work and school.  


Byerlys management makes the decision to replace Marsha with Sue, Marsha's store assistant.  Robert doesn't know Sue very well, but he's disappointed that Bill, Sue's boyfriend, doesn't get the job. Bill has better people skills, is a more patient person, and Bill doesn't seem to be overbearing.  Sue, however, seems to be his opposite in personality. Sue has thus far paid little attention to Robert.  


The next week after Sue takes over the manager's role in the store Robert notices his scheduled hours have been cut down to 14 hours per week. This is about half the hours Robert had been working thus far.  Robert decides to question Sue on this decision since everything with his employment seems to be going well overall.   


"Robert, maybe you don't watch the news, but there is a recession going on. I give the preferred hours to those who I think are the most capable."  Robert is speechless.  He doesn’t see himself as not capable in his new job.   


A week or so later Robert wakes up on a Saturday and realizes that he has come down with a bad cold.  Robert rarely gets sick and this puts him in a bind as far as what to do about it.  Robert has never called in sick before and he realizes that Sue will likely not handle this situation nearly as well as Marsha would. Robert calls into the store and is happy to be speaking with Bill, who tells him that Sue is off work that day.  When Robert tells Bill he's sick Bill politely tells him, "We should be ok.   It's really not that busy so far anyway."  Robert is pleased at this result and decides to go back to bed.


A while later Robert is woken up by his older sister Beth who tells him that he has a phone call from work.  Robert answers the call to the following from Sue:   Robby, why aren't you at work?  What's the problem? You know you are scheduled today right? All of us have issues we need to deal with. You need to get into work!   If you are actually sick, you need to call someone else to cover your shift. You don't just leave your workmates stranded! Saturdays are our busiest days of the week!  


When Robert gets off the phone he sees Beth standing near him. Beth states defiantly,  "You've got to be kidding me!   What kind of boss is that?"  Robert grabs a piece of paper and pencil and calls Bill back to ask for phone numbers of other employees he can call to ask them to cover for him.


Beth says, "Robert, you're sick and you called in. You shouldn't have to try and find someone.Thats not right. "


"I don't want to get fired Beth."


Robert calls everyone on the list and finds that no one is either answering or willing to give up their Saturday to go into work for him.  Robert calls Bill back and tells him this.  


A week later Sue asks the Byerly’s store manager to attend an employee meeting for the Woods Chocolate Shop.  All employees attend not sure of what the meeting is about since this is the first formal meeting this little shop has ever had. Sue starts off by complaining to the employees about some isolated cash shortages the shop has had.  She then tells all the employees who work in the Ice cream area that the scoop sizes given out to customers are far too large and need to be reduced.  


Robert thinks,  What? She's not gonna welcome us to our first ever chocolate shop meeting, give us complimentary chocolates, or tell us how much she appreciates our hard work?  


The last item of Sue's agenda is likely the main reason for this meeting.  "Everyone, we need to nip something in the bud. When you need a day off you don't just call in sick. That isn't fair to our other employees or our store. This won't be tolerated any more."   Robert notices Sue's obvious anger when saying this, and of course she's looking at Robert nearly  the entire time.   


Robert wonders to himself:  That little speech was embarrassing to me since everyone knew who she was talking about. I'm the youngest employee at the store. I do everything I'm supposed to, and yet I seem to have caused Sue to hate me.  I don't get it.  I'm surprised the store manager didn't interfere with that negativity.   


Robert decides that since he needs his job he will just keep his head down, avoid unnecessary contact with Sue, and try to get by a day at a time. The next few months go by fairly well at work with Robert trying his best to stay positive and upbeat despite feeling so uncomfortable around his boss.


In late December, Sue lets the employees know they are invited to her home for a holiday party.   The invitations are passed out to everyone except Robert. Marsha is even invited to make the trip back to attend.  When Robert sees Marsha for the first time at work in a few months he doesn't hesitate to approach her and hug her.   Marsha is surprised but smiles widely and asks how he’s been.   Then Marsha asks if he will be at the party the following day and Robert has no idea of what she’s talking about.  Out of nowhere Sue enters the conversation to say that the invites only went out to those over the age of 18.  Robert quickly realizes he’s not the only employee under 18 and feels deflated, but he refuses to ask Sue if he can attend anyway.  


The day following the party Robert sees many photos from the party taped to the walls in the break room.  Several ask him why he didn't want to attend but Robert says nothing.  He sees from the photos and from the chatter about the party that everyone seems to have had fun. 


Toward the end of Robert's shift on December 26th Sue approaches Robert and tells him that he will not be on the schedule for the following week.  When he asks why Sue says, “It's really not working out with you Robert.”  “Am I fired?”  Robert asks quietly.   Sue shifts her stance a few times then quietly says, “No. But maybe I’ll call you next week if we suddenly get busy after Christmas.”  Robert doesnt respond, he just goes back to work and says nothing to anyone.


Later on when Sue kisses Bill and tells him she's leaving, Robert starts to feel a surge of adrenaline and a pounding in his chest and follows Sue out to the parking lot.  His walk has changed and his face appears dark and sinister.  He has now become a different person as he approaches the window of her car in the dark parking lot.


Sue notices him and responds harshly, “What do you want….. Robert?”    


Robert leans close to her and says with a deeper voice that his actually his, “What do I want?   No.  It’s what you're gonna do.”   Robert's voice is full of controlled rage, he's mocking her, and his manner is one of complete certainty. “What?”  Is all Sue can respond with.   “What?”   Robert is amused by her fear of him.   “What you're gonna do boss is you're gonna put me back on the schedule for this coming week and every week after that. This is the last time we’ll discuss this issue too. I’ve got bills to pay.”   Robert smiles broadly.  “Goodnight little lady.”


Robert comes to work the next day to check the bulletin board and notices he is indeed on the schedule for the next two weeks.  He also sees that Sue is not working the days he is scheduled.





© 2023 Franky


Author's Note

Franky
Please comment on why you think Sue acts this way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a very eventful chapter. You did so well with the child breaking away from the parent thing. In our lives, there comes a juncture when we make a decision that doesn't go well with the parents. Means we're growing up and taking ownership of our life. This was great to read.

I can't think of a single reason, why Sue was acting the way she was. Robert was so smart, efficient and mature for his age. It's obvious he's going to go places with that kind of a sensible head on his young shoulders. And this, in a twisted way may precisely be the reason Sue resents him. Perhaps, she thinks him oversmart? Or more generally, she could just be a frustrated bully, zeroing in on thr youngest and who she thought wouldn't stand up to her. Good on Robert to fix her firmly at the end. I really liked that. I love this trait in Robert. He doesn't take nonsense beyond a certain extent from these entitled females. 😀

A very relatable chapter for me. Loved it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DIVYA

1 Year Ago

I don't see many chapters remaining. I was wondering if you'll add any more. I hope you do.
Franky

1 Year Ago

Oh wow. Thank you. That means a lot. I've had writees block about what to do with Robert's fat.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

Thats a great idea. Robert's father seemed way more human and vulnerable than his mother who comes o.. read more



Reviews

She's intimidated. I would be too, in all honesty. I think Robert is turning into Mr. Hyde! lol

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Franky

9 Months Ago

I wanted to show Robert Asa victim here.
This was a very eventful chapter. You did so well with the child breaking away from the parent thing. In our lives, there comes a juncture when we make a decision that doesn't go well with the parents. Means we're growing up and taking ownership of our life. This was great to read.

I can't think of a single reason, why Sue was acting the way she was. Robert was so smart, efficient and mature for his age. It's obvious he's going to go places with that kind of a sensible head on his young shoulders. And this, in a twisted way may precisely be the reason Sue resents him. Perhaps, she thinks him oversmart? Or more generally, she could just be a frustrated bully, zeroing in on thr youngest and who she thought wouldn't stand up to her. Good on Robert to fix her firmly at the end. I really liked that. I love this trait in Robert. He doesn't take nonsense beyond a certain extent from these entitled females. 😀

A very relatable chapter for me. Loved it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DIVYA

1 Year Ago

I don't see many chapters remaining. I was wondering if you'll add any more. I hope you do.
Franky

1 Year Ago

Oh wow. Thank you. That means a lot. I've had writees block about what to do with Robert's fat.. read more
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

Thats a great idea. Robert's father seemed way more human and vulnerable than his mother who comes o.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 17, 2022
Last Updated on February 24, 2023


Author

Franky
Franky

OH



About
I need a space to share my writings so i can grow as a writer. I mostly write short stories, but I'm working on a book about a serious family saga. Things seem calmer these days at the cafe. I'.. more..

Writing